ADVERTISEMENT

When Do We Get Rid of Franks' BOY ????

You've obviously missed all of the posts on this site about Missouri's big NIL program and their legal maneuvers to pay high school players who commit. Missouri has been buying their team since 2021. They were one of the first states to pass NIL legislation. Check SEC Reddit for more info.

Yet even when they were a 6-7 team, they were dominating Beamer.

OK. But, this is a crucial season coming up for Beamer and USC. If we have a mediocre season in 2024, recruiting will suffer even more, NIL or no NIL, putting the program in a hell of a hole. Let's both hope that Beamer is able to "do more with less" on game day.

You're already seeing it this year. Beamer has no momentum in recruiting. The quick start he got off to recruiting last class is what really saved him with the 5 win season

You're already seeing it this year. Beamer has no momentum in recruiting. The quick start he got off to recruiting last class is what really saved him with the 5 win season
Unfortunately, I know. Last year, even with that fast start that fizzled, we finished in the bottom half of the SEC in recruiting. So did Missouri and Ole Miss, even with all their NIL money. We are doing even worse this year. Missouri and Ole Miss with their NIL money are with us, currently, in the bottom half of the SEC in recruiting. The SEC is a tough league. I suspect we can never stay up with the traditional powers recruiting-wise no matter how much NIL money we have. Our Head Coach better have the "coaching chops" if we are going to make noise in this league and be nationally relevant.. Missouri beat Ohio State last year. Ole Miss beat Penn State and LSU last year. Do you think Missouri and Ole Miss had better player talent than those teams? Of course not. Kiffin and Drinkwitz are damn good coaches. Beamer showed a glimpse of that in 2022 when we beat Tennessee and Clemson. 2024, with our schedule, is the perfect year for Beamer to show, once and for all, that he has the "coaching chops" to succeed here. If you look back at our history, our most successful coaches (Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier) were renowned for their coaching skills. While they did bring in the occasional blue chippers, surrounding them with solid recruits, it was their coaching abilities that made the difference.

Reactions: Lurker123
No one is saying that trying to get all the blue-chippers there are to our school is bad. No one is saying trying to get as much NIL money to our school as possible is bad. We should try to get as much NIL money and as many blue-chippers as possible What I'm saying is that if anyone is thinking that South Carolina is going to annually or even most of the time, out recruit Georgia, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, (now add Texas and Oklahoma to that group) as such, is just being unwise. It's NOT going to happen. Even after we hired purported recruiting gurus like Bell, Woods, Scott (whom one recruiting service referred to as "the best recruiter in the nation") and Muschamp, we typically lagged those schools in recruiting. What I am saying is that it does not matter what kind of recruiting skills our Head Coach has if he lacks organizational, strategic, tactical, and human relational skills. Then all the salesmanship and monetary inducements will mean nothing. Absolutely, get as many blue-chippers in as possible. But you better know what to do with them once you get them. Hopefully, Beamer will prove to have those coaching skills. Recruiting wonders Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp certainly did not.

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

No one is saying that trying to get all the blue-chippers there are to our school is bad. No one is saying trying to get as much NIL money to our school as possible is bad. We should try to get as much NIL money and as many blue-chippers as possible What I'm saying is that if anyone is thinking that South Carolina is going to annually or even most of the time, out recruit Georgia, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, (now add Texas and Oklahoma to that group) as such, is just being unwise. It's NOT going to happen. Even after we hired purported recruiting gurus like Bell, Woods, Scott (whom one recruiting service referred to as "the best recruiter in the nation") and Muschamp, we typically lagged those schools in recruiting. What I am saying is that it does not matter what kind of recruiting skills our Head Coach has if he lacks organizational, strategic, tactical, and human relational skills. Then all the salesmanship and monetary inducements will mean nothing. Absolutely, get as many blue-chippers in as possible. But you better know what to do with them once you get them. Hopefully, Beamer will prove to have those coaching skills. Recruiting wonders Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp certainly did not.

Those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.
Beamer is ranked where in Head Coaches in the SEC? He’s going to out coach exactly who on the conference schedule?

One of the biggest pieces BOTman & Robin (watson) miss is that coaches such as Drinkwitz and Kiffin were allowed by their school to market their NIL programs and it's paid off bigtime these last few seasons.

These schools are working in conjunction with the coaching staff to flood the donations, pass innovative NIL laws, etc.

On the flip side, you never really hear Beamer discuss the NIL or recruiting imbalances. The AD clearly has a muzzle on these topics at USC.

Reactions: PaleoCock
Hopefully you do and will share it with us.

Right now, after this past season and some of his off-season hires/non-hires, Beamer is a "question mark". How can that surprise you?
It doesn’t surprise me at all. Gamecocks have a green quarterback and a ol that has been at the bottom of the league for years. Expecting the offense to be better than last year is a bit of a stretch. Defense was ranked in the bottom half of the league and couldn’t rush the quarterback.

It doesn’t surprise me at all. Gamecocks have a green quarterback and a ol that has been at the bottom of the league for years. Expecting the offense to be better than last year is a bit of a stretch. Defense was ranked in the bottom half of the league and couldn’t rush the quarterback.
I don't think I can disagree with anything you said there. While I still have doubts regarding OC Loggains, at least DC White has produced in the past. So, I'm still "hopeful" regarding that side of the ball.

One of the biggest pieces BOTman & Robin (watson) miss is that coaches such as Drinkwitz and Kiffin were allowed by their school to market their NIL programs and it's paid off bigtime these last few seasons.

These schools are working in conjunction with the coaching staff to flood the donations, pass innovative NIL laws, etc.

On the flip side, you never really hear Beamer discuss the NIL or recruiting imbalances. The AD clearly has a muzzle on these topics at USC.

Dude give it a rest. Kiffin and Drinkwitz are successful because they're actually good coaches. Something that Beamer isn't.

100%. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point. Everyone is waiting for amendments to the system to restore some integrity back in the game, but will that actually occur? Who knows. In the meantime, flagrant NIL schools like Ole Miss and Missouri continue to load up their coffers.

My Clemson buddies are more frustrated than we are. They feel like Dabo's open stance on the matter is taking all of the wind out of their sails at the worst moment in time. One thing is clear, the State of South Carolina has chosen not to follow states like Kentucky, Virginia, Mississippi, Missouri and others in passing legislation to further aid the money grab.

https://thewire.signingdaysports.com/blog/dabo-swinney-on-nil-and-transfer-portal/

Reactions: Ward Jr
Dude give it a rest. Kiffin and Drinkwitz are successful because they're actually good coaches. Something that Beamer isn't.
I think Drinkwitz is a good coach. I feel certain Kiffin is. And their recruiting is OK. Ole Miss right now is 8th in the SEC, Missouri 10th to South Carolina at 11. So, their recruiting is not way, way better within the conference than ours. I will be interested in seeing how Drinkwitz does this season. Can he follow up last season's performance with another good one? If he does, he is undoubtedly the "real deal". He did superbly that one year at App. State. But I still want to see how he does this year. I THINK he will do well. Time will definitely tell. Kiffin, is the real deal.

I kind of disagree with you regarding Beamer. I know you feel differently but I feel he overachieved during his first 2 seasons here. Last season was a setback. This coming season's schedule gives him a golden opportunity to show his coaching ability. The jury is still out, imho.

Last edited:
I think Drinkwitz is a good coach. I feel certain Kiffin is. And their recruiting is OK. Ole Miss right now is 8th in the SEC, Missouri 10th to South Carolina at 11. So, their recruiting is not way, way better within the conference than ours. I will be interested in seeing how Drinkwitz does this season. Can he follow up last season's performance with another good one? If he does, he is undoubtedly the "real deal". He did superbly that one year at App. State. But I still want to see how he does this year. I THINK he will do well. Time will definitely tell. Kiffin, is the real deal.

I kind of disagree with you regarding Beamer. I know you feel differently but I feel he overachieved during his first 2 seasons here. Last season was a setback. This coming season's schedule gives him a golden opportunity to show his coaching ability. The jury is still out, imho.
Comparing Beamer to those two coaches is laughable imho. Garnet glasses no doubt.

He got extremely lucky the first season with the easiest schedule we've had in probably two decades and still lost by 30 to the worst Clemson team in a decade.

The second year he overachieved for two weeks during that season. And looking back on it, it seems pretty evident we had help from Michigan for those two weeks.

This season is just going to expose how much of an outlier those two weeks were.

Comparing Beamer to those two coaches is laughable imho. Garnet glasses no doubt.
Bassslayer, how do you interpret saying that Kiffin "is the real deal" to saying that the "jury is still out on Beamer" as implying they are equal? I can kind of see how you might interpret that regarding Drinkwitz. But even there I said that I think he is a good coach, who did great that one year at App, State (as well as last year). I posted yesterday at 6:33 pm on this thread that "I'm a big fan of Drinkwitz". I did not say I think Beamer is a good coach. Yes, I felt that he overachieved his first 2 seasons, but said he had a set back (went backwards last season); thus the jury is still out. It's puzzling that you think I find Beamer as favorable as I do the other 2.

I have posted before I was shocked that Beamer was even considered for the SC job and was adamantly against it.

By the way, I have heard that some feel that Missouri will be a pre-season Top 10 team.

This season is just going to expose how much of an outlier those two weeks were.
That won't shock me. As I have said many times before, I was incredulous that he was even considered for the job and was VERY much against it.

I'm a Gamecock fan and will pull for him as long as he is our Head Coach. I've never pulled against us and never will, even to prove I was right in being against his hire.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I’m afraid that the gamecocks don’t have enough difference makers to be a contender in the league and it’s an uphill struggle to just be a 6-6 team this season.

It was but for some reason people want to pretend last year was the outlier.
In my case, between what happened last season combined with head-scratching staff moves and non-moves, made me go "Hmmmmm". I don't see last year as an "outlier". Instead, I'm taking a step back to collect more information about him. The only other option is to call for his firing now, which I know you have. Regardless, we know that won't happen. I don't make snap judgments and decisions when I make investments. Why would I do that in this case?

I’m afraid that the gamecocks don’t have enough difference makers to be a contender in the league and it’s an uphill struggle to just be a 6-6 team this season.

Some have tried to get me to change my expectations about gamecock football.

We are above patsies and vandy, but are we really a team that has to scratch and claw for a bowl birth? Is this really our new normal?

We are above patsies and vandy, but are we really a team that has to scratch and claw for a bowl birth? Is this really our new normal?
It’s always been the norm. Nothing new. What’s changed that makes any gamecock think that this is the year or we will be contenders for the foreseeable future. Been in the league for over two decades and have played for the championship only once and got embarrassed. Nothing else since then or before. Beamer hasn’t done much to change that perception.

It’s always been the norm. Nothing new. What’s changed that makes any gamecock think that this is the year or we will be contenders for the foreseeable future. Been in the league for over two decades and have played for the championship only once and got embarrassed. Nothing else since then or before. Beamer hasn’t done much to change that perception.

See, I'm not talking about being contenders, or playing for championships. I'm talking about us being a consistent bowl team as a minimum.

Now we miss out on a year, and we're looking at making it two. Is that our new norm?

Reactions: uscwatson21
See, I'm not talking about being contenders, or playing for championships. I'm talking about us being a consistent bowl team as a minimum.

Now we miss out on a year, and we're looking at making it two. Is that our new norm?

Maybe check our history of making bowl games? When you have a history of flirting with mediocrity and then the NIL/Portal arrives and you're on the very short end of the stick of it, what do you think is going to happen?

We all remember the "Patsies Report" from another poster, Lurker. This is when they/you go out on a limb and predict upcoming wins based on those we outrecruit. Cutting-edge stuff.

100%. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point. Everyone is waiting for amendments to the system to restore some integrity back in the game, but will that actually occur? Who knows. In the meantime, flagrant NIL schools like Ole Miss and Missouri continue to load up their coffers.

My Clemson buddies are more frustrated than we are. They feel like Dabo's open stance on the matter is taking all of the wind out of their sails at the worst moment in time. One thing is clear, the State of South Carolina has chosen not to follow states like Kentucky, Virginia, Mississippi, Missouri and others in passing legislation to further aid the money grab.

https://thewire.signingdaysports.com/blog/dabo-swinney-on-nil-and-transfer-portal/

The Reddit board really drives home how ridiculous college football has become with the NIL. Fans all hyped over the fact they outbid another school for a player. Missouri is now pulling in big named players from all over the country. Who would want to go to school in the middle of nowhere other than for a payday? I'm really surprised fans are still onboard with this. It either needs to be regulated or deemed purely entertainment.

Would anyone watch the NFL if the richest guy in the world became an owner and was allowed to buy/outbid all of the best players in the league? That's what we have currently in college football and it makes zero sense.

I believe you (and if we're being truthful we) already know the answer to those 2 questions.

Reactions: instateson
Though we have done it in other sports, I do not expect us to win nor play for the SEC nor national championship in football. What I hope for is to be nationally relevant. Spurrier made us that. He proved that South Carolina, in football, can be a force to deal with, a team no one really wanted to go up against. He proved that South Carolina could be nationally relevant. Then, of course, he got older and wanting to retire. So, his desire towards the end was not "Spurrier-like". I hope that's possible under the current leadership. But I'm not confident about it. At least we will know within the next 2 years.

Though we have done it in other sports, I do not expect us to win nor play for the SEC nor national championship in football. What I hope for is to be nationally relevant. Spurrier made us that. He proved that South Carolina, in football, can be a force to deal with, a team no one really wanted to go up against. He proved that South Carolina could be nationally relevant. Then, of course, he got older and wanting to retire. So, his desire towards the end was not "Spurrier-like". I hope that's possible under the current leadership. But I'm not confident about it. At least we will know within the next 2 years.

It can happen. A few starter items:

+ Revamp the NIL/Portal (see Spurrier quote below)
+ Return of a Weak SEC East and Strong SEC West -- Spurrier won only 11 of 30 games against SEC West while at USC and only a few of those 11 wins were against teams above .500.
+ Return of big recruiting momentum spearheaded by a media darling and weak SEC East
+ Return of a inflow of the top recruits coming from SC

“I would have probably tried to do it like all these guys are doing it now,” Spurrier said. “You find some wealthy, wealthy guys that sort of have more money than they know what to do with and then you can try to match what the other schools are offering them.”

It can happen. A few starter items:

+ Revamp the NIL/Portal (see Spurrier quote below)
+ Return of a Weak SEC East and Strong SEC West -- Spurrier won only 11 of 30 games against SEC West while at USC and only a few of those 11 wins were against teams above .500.
+ Return of big recruiting momentum spearheaded by a media darling and weak SEC East
+ Return of a inflow of the top recruits coming from SC

“I would have probably tried to do it like all these guys are doing it now,” Spurrier said. “You find some wealthy, wealthy guys that sort of have more money than they know what to do with and then you can try to match what the other schools are offering them.”
Spurrier never really was a recruiting machine when he was here. If you look at the 2007-2013 period, his recruiting classes nationally averaged only at 17th in the nation. Within the SEC, his classes ranked just 7th in the conference, just above the bottom half of the conference. And during that period, around the time we beat Clemson 5 straight, we out recruited them only 2 times. Recruiting was never Spurrier's forte. I recall reading when he was at Florida, the Gator fans were very critical of Spurrier's recruiting efforts. Spurrier was not known to work his tail off in recruiting nor demand that of his assistants. He absolutely HATED recruiting, more than most. Let's not forget that when Jr. was made Recruiting Coordinator, how horrible that was. He was a "chip off the old block" there.

Spurrier never really was a recruiting machine when he was here. If you look at the 2007-2013 period, his recruiting classes nationally averaged only at 17th in the nation. Within the SEC, his classes ranked just 7th in the conference, just above the bottom half of the conference. And during that period, around the time we beat Clemson 5 straight, we out recruited them only 2 times. Recruiting was never Spurrier's forte. I recall reading when he was at Florida, the Gator fans were very critical of Spurrier's recruiting efforts. Spurrier was not known to work his tail off in recruiting nor demand that of his assistants. He absolutely HATED recruiting, more than most. Let's not forget that when Jr. was made Recruiting Coordinator, how horrible that was. He was a "chip off the old block" there.

He had the best recruiting classes of any coach we've had to date. In 2007, he had the #6 Class in the Country.

More importantly, he was able to pull Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, etc. - 5 stars that made an immediate impact.

He had the best recruiting classes of any coach we've had to date. In 2007, he had the #6 Class in the Country.

More importantly, he was able to pull Lattimore, Clowney, Gilmore, etc. - 5 stars that made an immediate impact.
From the state of South Carolina and Clemson fired Bowden. Florida and Tennessee were way down. The stars got in line for the gamecocks and they were a dangerous team for a short stretch.

I included that year (2007) in the average #17 national ranking , his only Top 10 recruiting class here.. No question he pulled in some blue chippers. So did Carlen , Morrison and Holtz. But none of those coaches were considered recruiting to be their forte, whereas recruiting was /is considered the forte of Woods, Bell, Scott, Muschamp and Beamer. But all in all, as the recruiting rankings showed, Spurrier did not exactly blow the socks off with his recruiting. He unquestionably was the best "game day" coach we ever had.

Reactions: uscwatson21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT