3, Ole Miss
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6.FSU
7. NC State
8. Missouri
9. Syracuse
10. South Carolina

They have teams with $6-7mil budgets ranked well below our $1.5mil? They must be really bad pickers. :)

I think you can take all of this with a grain of salt.

They have teams with $6-7mil budgets ranked well below our $1.5mil? They must be really bad pickers. :)

Or we are good ones.

It is what it is.

I personally give Beamer a tip of the hat for a job well done.

Last edited:

Here is what I'd add.: It's just a game. It's not worth getting stroke or heart attack over or raising one's stress level and thus subject one to developing cancer. It's just not.

Reactions: Ward Jr

I will just add this. I've said numerous times I did not like the hire of Beamer, that he overachieved in his first 2 seasons, that season 3 was a downer. To his credit, he produced well in Year one of the Transfer Portal, NOT in Year two, but well obviously in this past Year 3. His success in the portal in this past year is a big reason I am optimistic in the coming season. After Year one of the portal, we won 8 games. After the disappointing Year 2 in the portal, we had last season's results. So, hopefully Year 3 portal success will give us a surprisingly good year on the field. That optimism may very well be a lot due ALSO to my bias for wanting to win. I admit that bias may taint my opinion. But I got both a Bachelor and Masters degree from that school. So that bias is real. But, again, it's just a freaking game. It won't make or break me.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I agree. But the idea we're doing well in relation to teams like Ole Miss makes no sense at all.

According to Stock's referenced rankings, Ole miss is ranked 7 spots above us. Do those rankings seem more legitimate now? They support the bad comparison to Ole Miss, but still puts us in the top ten.

The ranking of impact of the Transfer Portal is
1. Louisville
2. Colorado
3, Ole Miss
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6.FSU
7. NC State
8. Missouri
9. Syracuse
10. South Carolina

Last edited:
According to Stock's referenced rankings, Ole miss is ranked 7 spots above us. Do those rankings seem more legitimate now? They support the bad comparison to Ole Miss, but still puts us in the top ten.

1. Louisville
2. Colorado
3, Ole Miss
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6.FSU
7. NC State
8. Missouri
9. Syracuse
10. South Carolina
Yes. I never said we were ranked ahead of Ole Miss. All I ever said was we were ranked 10th, which we are.

If you live by the portal you die by the portal. Having 15-20 players come and go every year especially the better players and trying to buy comparable players is only good when you have the most money.

If you live by the portal you die by the portal. Having 15-20 players come and go every year especially the better players and trying to buy comparable players is only good when you have the most money.
All the money in the world does you no good if you spend foolishly. Even a small amount of money can go a long way if you spend wisely.

Reactions: uscwatson21
By the way, you must not have read my comment from Wednesday, when I stated we lost 6 Four stars to the portal but brought in 7 Four stars. Beamer got the job done through the portal this past year. And again, that comes from someone (ME) who was vehemently opposed to his hiring. Give the guy a chance. Why always be critical of him?

Reactions: cockn'fyr

Other than a few top teams, who we don't really compete with anyway, isn't this the new reality for every team out there?

By the way, you must not have read my comment from Wednesday, when I stated we lost 6 Four stars to the portal but brought in 7 Four stars. Beamer got the job done through the portal this past year. And again, that comes from someone (ME) who was vehemently opposed to his hiring. Give the guy a chance. Why always be critical of him?
Beamer has improved the roster since he’s been the coach and I’ve always said that it’s a uphill struggle to compete with the top teams when the high schools in the state don’t produce enough talent to compete. Gamecocks always have to go get players from other states and it’s difficult to pry a good player from their home state. It became more difficult when Clemson turned their program around. Really can’t see the gamecocks getting bowl eligible again this year with the schedule. Doesn’t get any easier next year neither.

Reactions: Lurker123

1. Louisville
2. Colorado
3, Ole Miss
4. Texas
5. Oregon
6.FSU
7. NC State
8. Missouri
9. Syracuse
10. South Carolina
There must be a massive divide between us and the Top 8 teams in this make-shift rank system.

There must be a massive divide between us and the Top 8 teams in this make-shift rank system.

Maybe, luckily they are not all on our schedule.

The reality is, we don't know know how much is spent per team on NIL. People will pick and choose different sources that fit their argument, dismissing others that don't fit their argument.

I really wish there was a reliable comparison.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Beamer has improved the roster since he’s been the coach and I’ve always said that it’s a uphill struggle to compete with the top teams when the high schools in the state don’t produce enough talent to compete. Gamecocks always have to go get players from other states and it’s difficult to pry a good player from their home state. It became more difficult when Clemson turned their program around. Really can’t see the gamecocks getting bowl eligible again this year with the schedule. Doesn’t get any easier next year neither.
No Carolina fan can deny that the University of South Carolina football program has never been a recruiting juggernaut. That's never in the history of the program. The Athletic Department could suddenly stumble into a gold mine to put us on par NIL-wise with most teams and, we still would not recruit as well as most teams in the SEC. Our greatest coach ever, Steve Spurrier, averaged a number 8 conference recruiting ranking while at South Carolina in the then 14-team conference. And Spurrier had a magnetic reputation, yet still averaged at the bottom half of the conference. And that is PRIOR to the NIL era. Anyone who thinks that will change is fooling themselves (I'd love for it to change). Why won't it change?: 1. We are in a relatively small state; 2. we share this small state with a national powerhouse, Clemson; 3. our conference competition is loaded with programs who have won national championships (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee LSU) in the past 25 years, with some of them (Georgia, Florida and Tennessee) no more than a 6 hour drive away and 4. Adding traditional, national powerhouses Texas and Oklahoma makes it even more difficult for us.

Yes, absolutely, let's try our best to recruit the best players possible. Let's do whatever it takes legally to do that. But, at the same time, as fans, let's be realistic and realize that we are usually going to be in the bottom half of the SEC player talent-wise for the reasons I have given. As Steve Spurrier would say: It is what it is.

Reactions: Lurker123
No Carolina fan can deny that the University of South Carolina football program has never been a recruiting juggernaut. That's never in the history of the program. The Athletic Department could suddenly stumble into a gold mine to put us on par NIL-wise with most teams and, we still would not recruit as well as most teams in the SEC. Our greatest coach ever, Steve Spurrier, averaged a number 8 conference recruiting ranking while at South Carolina in the then 14-team conference. And Spurrier had a magnetic reputation, yet still averaged at the bottom half of the conference. And that is PRIOR to the NIL era. Anyone who thinks that will change is fooling themselves (I'd love for it to change). Why won't it change?: 1. We are in a relatively small state; 2. we share this small state with a national powerhouse, Clemson; 3. our conference competition is loaded with programs who have won national championships (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee LSU) in the past 25 years, with some of them (Georgia, Florida and Tennessee) no more than a 6 hour drive away and 4. Adding traditional, national powerhouses Texas and Oklahoma makes it even more difficult for us.

Yes, absolutely, let's try our best to recruit the best players possible. Let's do whatever it takes legally to do that. But, at the same time, as fans, let's be realistic and realize that we are usually going to be in the bottom half of the SEC player talent-wise for the reasons I have given. As Steve Spurrier would say: It is what it is.

This made me think of how much impact Clemson's run has had on us. How many players did we lose to them that we might have gotten otherwise.

One more reason to hope they come back to earth.

Reactions: gamecock stock
All the money in the world does you no good if you spend foolishly. Even a small amount of money can go a long way if you spend wisely.

It's the elephant in the room that Ward never wants to acknowledge. Beamer has spent a lot of money on the NIL trail. He's just spent a lot of it poorly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT