ADVERTISEMENT

When Do We Get Rid of Franks' BOY ????

Muschamp's best years were with Spurrier's players. Beamers best years were with Muschamp's players. It was all downhill after that with Chump. I'm afraid I'm seeing a repeat of that scenario now. But I did say that I thought the odds of Beamer being a failure were probably 90% or better. NO OTHER AD IN THE SEC would have played those odds. Ours did.

How do you define failure? Again, two short of the all time wins with 110+ years of history and the new age NIL/Portal crap. That's almost the opposite of a failure as of today. What he does tomorrow will determine his fate. The rest is total conjecture. Most every coach will eventually fail.

How do you define failure? Again, two short of the all time wins with 110+ years of history and the new age NIL/Portal crap. That's almost the opposite of a failure as of today. What he does tomorrow will determine his fate. The rest is total conjecture. Most every coach will eventually fail.
Most on here would consider Muschamp a failure. Failed so badly he'll never be a headcoach again. Conjecture would have been about the hiring of Beamer. That's on the guy that gets bent over by coaches agents and agrees to totally insane buyout amounts to a coach who no longer coaches.

Most on here would consider Muschamp a failure. Failed so badly he'll never be a headcoach again. Conjecture would have been about the hiring of Beamer. That's on the guy that gets bent over by coaches agents and agrees to totally insane buyout amounts to a coach who no longer coaches.

Most would consider all of our coaches a failure outside of Spurrier. Holtz had two good years but left the program in shambles when he departed.

If you're two wins off the best start ever, that's not a failure at USC unless you're letting other factors influence your view. Who knows what tomorrow holds.

This is the story you tell yourself because you can't stand his face and weird energy.

His fake personality definitely makes the situation worse. He's a poor man's Dabo and I absolutely hate Dabo.
Based on your analysis, we would have to assume you believe pretty much all of our coaches sucked throughout history outside of Spurrier.

Pretty much. It's our biggest issue for us. We continually make terrible decisions.

What do you think Beamer is going to do this year? What's our final record in 2024?

Most would consider all of our coaches a failure outside of Spurrier. Holtz had two good years but left the program in shambles when he departed.

If you're two wins off the best start ever, that's not a failure at USC unless you're letting other factors influence your view. Who knows what tomorrow holds.
All time wins is not a fair comparison. College football teams only played 10 games/year until 1970 when they went to 11. In 2006 they went to 12 games/year. Also, in 2000 there were only 25 bowl games. In 2022 there were 42 bowl games. There were a number of years when we had a winning season and did not have the opportunity to play in a bowl. Beamer has had more chances at wins than most of the previous coaches.

All time wins is not a fair comparison. College football teams only played 10 games/year until 1970 when they went to 11. In 2006 they went to 12 games/year. Also, in 2000 there were only 25 bowl games. In 2022 there were 42 bowl games. There were a number of years when we had a winning season and did not have the opportunity to play in a bowl. Beamer has had more chances at wins than most of the previous coaches.

This is ridiculous. Our best coach ever (Spurrier) is included in those 12 games a year and he didn't have the NIL/Portal which he has been very outspoken about.

What do you think Beamer is going to do this year? What's our final record in 2024?

Who knows? The defense was looking decent at the end of last season.

The problem you have Watson is that if Beamer can handle the 3 OCC and Vandy, he only needs to win another 2 out of 8 games to get to 6-6 and a bowl game. If he does that for the next two seasons (or goes 5-7, 7-5) he'll be right there with Spurrier after 5 seasons and you'll be dealing with him until at least 2027...because Ray desperately wants to get a coach into deeper waters w/ the recruiting wave.

Muschamp got canned because he went 2-10 (abridged) in Year 5 after recording an 4-8 season and loss to App State on his home turf. You need Beamer to implode or you're going to be writing another 3,000 posts in total misery.

Who knows? The defense was looking decent at the end of last season.

The problem you have Watson is that if Beamer can handle the 3 OCC and Vandy, he only needs to win another 2 out of 8 games to get to 6-6 and a bowl game. If he does that for the next two seasons (or goes 5-7, 7-5) he'll be right there with Spurrier after 5 seasons and you'll be dealing with him until at least 2027...because Ray desperately wants to get a coach into deeper waters w/ the recruiting wave.

Muschamp got canned because he went 2-10 (abridged) in Year 5 after recording an 4-8 season and loss to App State on his home turf. You need Beamer to implode or you're going to be writing another 3,000 posts in total misery.

Listen to yourself, you're talking about Beamer needing to get lucky to go 6-6 in year 4.

It's amazing how low our expectations have become under him.

We have to hope there is not a Jax State game in any of the 4 "gimmes" needing a lucky pic 6 interception in the end to win. If we have such performance in any of the gimmes but lose it, this site will need to shut down and Beamer will be in big trouble. If any of you thinks a Beamer-coached team is not capable of that, you are living in the Magic Kingdom of DisneyWorld.

By the way, 6-6 means we went less than .500 in the conference in Year 4 of the Beamer era. That would be pathetic if we can't do better than that in Year 4.

Listen to yourself, you're talking about Beamer needing to get lucky to go 6-6 in year 4.

It's amazing how low our expectations have become under him.
Just curious if Beamer were to be replaced by one of the coaches you listed, how many years do they get? 2-3 or more. With the NIL in your mind it shouldn't take more then 3?

This is ridiculous. Our best coach ever (Spurrier) is included in those 12 games a year and he didn't have the NIL/Portal which he has been very outspoken about.
But you said All-Time. If all previous coaches would have had the same opportunities as Beamer, how many would have won more games than he? Considering the additional games added were mostly non conference weaker opponents, it could have been a number of them.

Reactions: Ward Jr
But you said All-Time. If all previous coaches would have had the same opportunities as Beamer, how many would have won more games than he? Considering the additional games added were mostly non conference weaker opponents, it could have been a number of them.

My mind is in the 2000s when our best coaches were around. Spurrier is the standard (besides NIL) so we should probably stick to that.

By the way, 6-6 means we went less than .500 in the conference in Year 4 of the Beamer era. That would be pathetic if we can't do better than that in Year 4.

Spurrier was 4-4 in the SEC and 7-6 overall without dealing with the NIL/Portal in Year 4. Is that pathetic too?

In the end, it doesn't really matter what you and I think. My post was concerning what the AD will do under those pretenses. Beamer is likely here to stay unless he records a couple of very sub-par seasons. (two more 5 win seasons or less)

Otherwise, there's zero justification based on history and Ray loves history. Over 40% of the time we've been in the SEC, we've had an overall losing record. 19 of the 32 years, we've been below .500 in the conference. They are interesting in paying players now. Not paying big head coaching salaries and buyouts.

Last edited:
Last I checked 4-4 was .500. You are right about one thing though: it does not matter what you and I think.

Neither one of us knows what will be decided way above Tanner' s pay grade if Beamer craps the bed. You and anybody on this site might think they do. But we don't. I am not predicting he will fk up. On the contrary, I am on record predicting we will go no worse than 7-5 this season. That itself pretty much guarantees a 4-4 SEC record this coming season. And that is dealing with NIL/Portal as do the other 129 FBS teams, in all their sports as do all Gamecock teams.

Last I checked 4-4 was .500. You are right about one thing though: it does not matter what you and I think.

Neither one of us knows what will be decided way above Tanner' s pay grade if Beamer craps the bed. You and anybody on this site might think they do. But we don't. I am not predicting he will fk up. On the contrary, I am on record predicting we will go no worse than 7-5 this season. That itself pretty much guarantees a 4-4 SEC record this coming season. And that is dealing with NIL/Portal as do the other 129 FBS teams, in all their sports as do all Gamecock teams.

I hope he does. But the reality is that as long as fans continue to go to the games and he doesn't pull a Muschamp in Year 4 and 5, he's probably going to stick around and rotate coordinators while the bulk of the bones headed to talent.

Spurrier's surge didn't really commence until Year 6. That would put Sellers and this current class at junior/senior level IF they can hold onto anyone financially at the end of seasons. The AD is clearly sick of buyouts and coaching searches. Ray has referenced many times trying to hold on to a coach past the initial 5 years. He desperately tried to do that with Muschamp but he crapped the bed.

I certainly hope he does too. As I said, I predict no less than 7-5. None of us KNOW who is pulling the strings. None if us know if it was Tanner who hired Beamer. We have to remember this about Spurrier. He had a track record. He was going to be given time. Beamer does not.

I certainly hope he does too. As I said, I predict no less than 7-5. None of us KNOW who is pulling the strings. None if us know if it was Tanner who hired Beamer. We have to remember this about Spurrier. He had a track record. He was going to be given time. Beamer does not.

I don't see how we do that this season but who knows. Anyway, this stuff has been talking to death and is mostly rhetorical at this point. We'll just have to see what the season holds when it arrives and go from there.

Just curious if Beamer were to be replaced by one of the coaches you listed, how many years do they get? 2-3 or more. With the NIL in your mind it shouldn't take more then 3?

They need to show they're competent in 3 years. But unfortunately, I think Beamer is going to leave us much worse off than Muschamp did. So the next coach is going to have a longer rebuild unfortunately.

Which is really going to be the sad part. The same people trying to defend Beamer are going to be the first ones to jump on the next coach with unrealistic expectations.

We have to hope there is not a Jax State game in any of the 4 "gimmes" needing a lucky pic 6 interception in the end to win. If we have such performance in any of the gimmes but lose it, this site will need to shut down and Beamer will be in big trouble. If any of you thinks a Beamer-coached team is not capable of that, you are living in the Magic Kingdom of DisneyWorld.

If Sellers isn't what he's hyped up to be, it's going to be a very long season in those games.

I don't see how we do that this season but who knows. Anyway, this stuff has been talking to death and is mostly rhetorical at this point. We'll just have to see what the season holds when it arrives and go from there.
At least it is not life or death, for us fans anyway.

Thanks for the jinx! :)

I do shudder to think of the boards if that were to happen.

Thanks for the jinx! :)

I do shudder to think of the boards if that were to happen.
I do have a serious question that rises above who the coach is. What do folks think a realistic season for us should look like to call it successful? 8 wins? 9? More? We probably won't all agree but I think most would recognize being in the CFP regularly (maybe at all) is not realistic. And most would also agree not being bowl eligible is not a successful season. I think you have to define what success is before you can know if you have it or not.

Reactions: Lurker123
I do have a serious question that rises above who the coach is. What do folks think a realistic season for us should look like to call it successful? 8 wins? 9? More? We probably won't all agree but I think most would recognize being in the CFP regularly (maybe at all) is not realistic. And most would also agree not being bowl eligible is not a successful season. I think you have to define what success is before you can know if you have it or not.
I don't know about win totals. We just have to be in the top 12. We've done that. Here. But we need a good staff for that to happen. Here.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Good question. One that should be asked before each season, and the answers remembered. I dislike revisionist history where people discuss lofty Preseason expectations, only to later argue that failing to meet them is still a "success".

But to answer your question, I have found myself liking something stock said about being .500 in conference and 7-5 overall. But to be honest, I think a success this year is 6 wins.

I don't know about win totals. We just have to be in the top 12. We've done that. Here. But we need a good staff for that to happen. Here.

Spot on Jacque. Need to have a "good staff" to happen here. Anyone just thinking talent will get it done is fooling themselves. We have never consistently outrecruited most of the SEC and never will.

Reactions: uscwatson21
It will have to be in order for Beamer to prove he is the one. Anyone who thinks he will consistently outrecruit most of the SEC is delusional. He did not when there was no NIL, much less in the NIL era.

I think realistically we should expect to win 6 every year with the belief we will get 1-2 upsets to get to 7-5, 8-4 as opposed to the belief we will win 4 games and get 2 upsets to get to 6-6.

You're right that the SEC is getting harder and harder, but a lot of that is because our peers hired good coaches while we haven't. Letting a bad hire linger only makes it harder for the next coach.

Lindys or Athlon quotes opposing coaches on each team. I saw this on the internet. We will see which of the 2 magazines carries this. One opposing coach believes South Carolina is "dead in the water" with Beamer. That coach said, " I think Shane Beamer is on the hot seat. I don't think Beamer is very happy now. Beamer was not ready. You can tell by the way he handles his press conferences. That program is dead in the water."

Another coach said that Beamer made a smart move bringing in Shawn Elliott back. "Many thought Elliott would have been a better Head Coach move than Muschamp or Beamer. Shawn will get the locker room right where Shane lost the locker room last year.. Getting back to winning ways is a must", according to that outside coach.

These are damning assesments by outside coaches. This year's schedule gives Beamer a chance to show he is not over his head by posting a few upsets. By the way, " winning ways" means at least a 7-5 record.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21
By the way, Elliott's Overall record as Head Coach is 42-49 and his conference record is 28-33. In his last 2 years at Georgia State, his 6th and 7th years there, his overall record was 11-14 and in conference play, 6-10. To say he would have been a better hire than either Muschamp or Beamer might be true. But, it's also damning on both Beamer and Muschamp.

Just a quick reminder that all of the coaches for USC football throughout history have looked about the same (or worse) as what Beamer is doing over time.

The only real exception is Spurrier and that was primarily because he was a magnet for some top recruits.

The reason he was a magnet is because of his work at UF where top recruits flocked.

It's all about recruiting and always has been.

Now it's about coming up with enough money buy those recruits.

We'll probably never get close to $30mil (below), but at least Spurrier is now discussing the absolutely absurdity of no universal budget limit.

This quote also provides some insight as to what the top teams are actually spending at the moment.

Just wait until schools can officially jump into the fray next season.

“They’ve (the NCAA) gotta do something about it. I think they’ve got to come up with a budget. The Power Five teams, you’ve got $30 million to spend. If you want to give it all to the quarterback, that’s your business, but put a limit and let them spread it out and go from there. It will help even out things a little bit as far as getting recruiting back into the game,” Spurrier said on 95.3 WDAE (Tampa).
$30 million!!! Holy crap. We're in way over our heads. Something has to give.

Reactions: Ward Jr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT