ADVERTISEMENT

When Do We Get Rid of Franks' BOY ????

Lindys or Athlon quotes opposing coaches on each team. I saw this on the internet. We will see which of the 2 magazines carries this. One opposing coach believes South Carolina is "dead in the water" with Beamer. That coach said, " I think Shane Beamer is on the hot seat. I don't think Beamer is very happy now. Beamer was not ready. You can tell by the way he handles his press conferences. That program is dead in the water."

Another coach said that Beamer made a smart move bringing in Shawn Elliott back. "Many thought Elliott would have been a better Head Coach move than Muschamp or Beamer. Shawn will get the locker room right where Shane lost the locker room last year.. Getting back to winning ways is a must", according to that outside coach.

These are damning assesments by outside coaches. This year's schedule gives Beamer a chance to show he is not over his head by posting a few upsets. By the way, " winning ways" means at least a 7-5 record.
Who are the coaches? This is clickbait crap man.

I do have a serious question that rises above who the coach is. What do folks think a realistic season for us should look like to call it successful? 8 wins? 9? More? We probably won't all agree but I think most would recognize being in the CFP regularly (maybe at all) is not realistic. And most would also agree not being bowl eligible is not a successful season. I think you have to define what success is before you can know if you have it or not.
Depends what the offense looks like. We'll be favored in 4 games and rightfully so. I think we could pick up another 2 or so if the young offense isn't totally anemic. 6-6.

I think realistically we should expect to win 6 every year with the belief we will get 1-2 upsets to get to 7-5, 8-4 as opposed to the belief we will win 4 games and get 2 upsets to get to 6-6.

You're right that the SEC is getting harder and harder, but a lot of that is because our peers hired good coaches while we haven't. Letting a bad hire linger only makes it harder for the next coach.
You left out the fact those good coaches were lucky enough to find good bagmen. Those aren't available in Columbia. Did you see where Spurrier thinks the NCAA should cap spending at $30 million? :oops:

Who are the coaches? This is clickbait crap man
In all the years I have read Lindys, they never identify the coaches. I am sure it is to get honest appraisals from them. I am sure the coaches want to be anonymous so as not to give bulletin board material.If you want to ignore Lindys, that is your right. But that magazine is public to be read by all.

Reactions: uscwatson21
In all the years I have read Lindys, they never identify the coaches. I am sure it is to get honest appraisals from them. I am sure the coaches want to be anonymous so as not to give bulletin board material.If you want to ignore Lindys, that is your right. But that magazine is public to be read by all.
I'll choose to ignore it. Anonymous sources are the way the media create clickbait without recourse. It's cowardly BS.

Here's what I project. We aren't going to worry competing for the SEC championship in football. We aren't even going to sweat bowl eligibility all that much. Beamer can stay for as long as he wants to; Tanner also.

We'll continue to downsize the stadium to accommodate more affluent fans and we'll draw the fans with the most zeal for football in general and attract visitors from the programs that travel well. The marquee opponents will draw pretty well from among our fanbase because of their cachet and those schools will bring the greatest numbers of traveling fans to Columbia.

We will concentrate on winning in sports where we have already proven we can do it at the highest levels, throwing in men's basketball as an occasional bright spot. And we will go merrily along as an SEC member that has enough money to field all the requisite teams but never threatens to win a football championship.

Many of our people won't be delighted by this approach, but no one will die from it.

Here's what I project. We aren't going to worry competing for the SEC championship in football. We aren't even going to sweat bowl eligibility all that much. Beamer can stay for as long as he wants to; Tanner also.

We'll continue to downsize the stadium to accommodate more affluent fans and we'll draw the fans with the most zeal for football in general and visitors from the programs that travel well. The marquee opponents will draw pretty well from among our fanbase because of their cachet and those schools will bring the greatest numbers of traveling fans.

We will concentrate on winning in sports where we have already proven we can do it at the highest levels, throwing in men's basketball as an occasional bright spot. And we will go merrily along as an SEC member that has enough money to field all the requisite teams but never threatens to win a football championship.

That won't delight many people, but no one will die from it.

Totally agree. It will be a show as much as any competition.

It's unfortunate too. If you don't have the NIL/Portal creating greater divide between the SEC leaders and plebs, the playoff expansion could have offered us a bit of a dangling carrot to cling onto.

Reactions: king ward
I'll choose to ignore it. Anonymous sources are the way the media create clickbait without recourse. It's cowardly BS.
Regardless Lindys has been publishing for decades. What they publish will be read by millions this summer. Hopefully, Beamer will prove it wrong. I predict, as I have been for awhile, he will, going no less than 7-5.

Last edited:
7-5 what?
You know what. He will have to because his recruiting is not competetive within the SEC and was not the year before NIL. He has to show coaching chops or else he is done. He has no track record of having succeeded elsewhere. I know that's not what his most rabid supporters want to believe. But unless USC has become a charity, he will have to be able to upset some teams. But time will tell.

Last edited:
You know what. He will have to because his recruiting is not competetive within the SEC and was not the year before NIL. He has to show coaching chops or else he is done. He has no track record of having succeeded elsewhere. I know that's not what his most rabid supporters want to believe. But unless USC has become a charity, he will have to be able to upset some teams. But time will tell.
Maybe he'll be forced out if we flounder, but it's just as likely he'll skate.

Reactions: gamecock stock
I believe a faction on the Board engineered the hiring. They will force him out if Beamer is as way over his head as opposing coaches say he is. Could be wishful thinking, I know.

I believe a faction on the Board engineered the hiring. They will force him out if Beamer is as way over his head as opposing coaches say he is. Could be wishful thinking, I know.
I find "articles" of the sort being discussed now - purportedly reflecting the views of rival coaches - highly dubious. The click-bait jumps right out at you, and since no one is quoted directly, the fantasy potential is massive and the writer can't get in trouble with any "source". I call BS on all of it.

I find "articles" of the sort being discussed now - purportedly reflecting the views of rival coaches - highly dubious. The click-bait jumps right out at you, and since no one is quoted directly, the fantasy potential is massive and the writer can't get in trouble with any "source". I call BS on all of it.
We will know for sure in the next 2 seasons. In the meantime, Kentucky will be an interesting game.

ALthough I can agree with your assessment, this strategy has served other programs as well in the same predicament as us, up till now.
However, the landscape of CFB is changing at a rapid pace. There have already been general conversations that in the future there may be unequal revenue sharing within what will become the P2.
EG. The bigger programs (OSU, MICH, UGA, BAMA) will begin to ask for a bigger share of revenue since they are the ones who generate the most interest. You can imagine what happens to the lesser programs.
Some may find this not at all possible, but who could have envisioned all the realignment movement that has occured (and we are not done yet), NIL, and the proliferation of Transfer Portals just 5 years ago.

Last edited:
1. Rhett Lashlee
2. Jon Sumerall
3. Brian Hartline
4. Tom Herman
5. Jimmy Rogers

Watson produced something besides one-liner criticism? :)

Do these guys arrive in Columbia in an armored money truck?

The problem with this list is that none of them come with a built-in marketing arm for the media to attach to.

That's been the only coaching recipe that's made any real noise.

We need lots of money and media attention in this new era.

The bigger programs (OSU, MICH, UGA, BAMA) will begin to ask for a bigger share of revenue since they are the ones who generate the most interest. You can imagine what happens to the lesser programs.
You might as well add Clemson to the "bigger programs" list. Their success in the past 7-8 years has generated national interest in them.

The bottom line is that there does need to be a cap on team spending (duh) and the schools need to pick up most of that tab (not the fans).

Thanks to the NCAA dragging it's feet for decades, schools were able to rake in hundreds of millions. USC has been clearing $22-30mil a year. It's time for them to pony.

I don't foresee additional revenue going to the bigger programs so they add it to their player fund stack. It would be that much more obvious that the game is rigged and college football can't take another hit at the moment. However, we're in a very weird period in our history with nonstop lame-brained progressive policy so anything is possible I guess. That would be the official death of college football though. Everyone would know the fix is in even moreso than we do today.

I don't believe the disparaging remarks came for a rival coach, no matter what the writer claims. I believe them to be fabrications designed to pique responses from people like us.
They could have just as easily published positive comments as they have done in the past. And even in this year's comments, they gave Beamer a compliment saying his hire of Elliott was "smart". We will know soon enough how valid the comments are about Beamer. I would not lose any sleep over the comments. But, that's me.

What about the gamecocks offense concerns you going into the season? Will they be better? Score more points? Keep sellers upright? Can the defense sack the quarterback?

Good midsummer starter/ depth predictions here. We have depth and upperclass experience, lets see how it plays out! Hopefully we can run the zone read and open some stuff up, I’m excited to see and I think the D is going to surprise some people!

Lets add this to the wish list since college football has changed as we knew it. All teams are allowed to continue practices post season not just the bowl teams.

Good midsummer starter/ depth predictions here. We have depth and upperclass experience, lets see how it plays out! Hopefully we can run the zone read and open some stuff up, I’m excited to see and I think the D is going to surprise some people!
Why? Starting an inexperience quarterback with a shaky ol and less talented Wr and going to surprise people most definitely. Gamecocks in a rough patch with old miss at home then at Bama then at Oklahoma and then the aggies. I reckon they all got worse and the gamecocks got better.

Why? Starting an inexperience quarterback with a shaky ol and less talented Wr and going to surprise people most definitely. Gamecocks in a rough patch with old miss at home then at Bama then at Oklahoma and then the aggies. I reckon they all got worse and the gamecocks got better.

Beamer just went 13-12 with an NFL QB.

People thinking we are going to improve next year are in for a lot of disappointment.

Beamer just went 13-12 with an NFL QB.

People thinking we are going to improve next year are in for a lot of disappointment.

We can't have our skill players walking out the door at the end of the season because we can't afford them anymore.

This is what happened last year. The OL was basically the same as in 2022. The difference was not having more quality (quick) outlets like Bell, Lloyd, Wells, etc.

As a result, it was a singular Rattler-to-XL offense which was way too one dimensional. Look at the brief time last season Wells was on the field during the UNC and UGA games. We were explosive again like the 2nd half of 2022 when Rattler found his rhythm.

The role of the OL has been depreciated for some time now. Look at the high-fly offenses. The ball gets out of the QB's hands in milliseconds. NE and Brady made their living this way. Once a defense has to guard against this, the run and longer pass game opens up. It's not rocket science.

It's a new world Watson and your mind is still buried in a pre-2021 era.

Listen to the podcast then get back to me! The schedule is what it is every year, but we will be better at every position except qb, not one great receiver but several serviceable ones, we had zero run game last year not this year and we have a big mobile qb who will create mismatches! Plus experienced depth on both lines, That’s why!

Listen to the podcast then get back to me! The schedule is what it is every year, but we will be better at every position except qb, not one great receiver but several serviceable ones, we had zero run game last year not this year and we have a big mobile qb who will create mismatches! Plus experienced depth on both lines, That’s why!
Really? It’s not hard to be better from where they were. Experience is lacking in the most important areas. Expecting a first time starter to perform better than last year? OL is all of sudden not a concern now? Schedule is going to test that experience out to the fullest as too much talent went out and not enough came in.

Really? It’s not hard to be better from where they were. Experience is lacking in the most important areas. Expecting a first time starter to perform better than last year? OL is all of sudden not a concern now? Schedule is going to test that experience out to the fullest as too much talent went out and not enough came in.

Experience is lacking in Year 4 because the four-year time table doesn't apply to schools like us anymore.

Players come and go. That's part of the reason we were able to excel in Year 2 when coaches like Drinkwitz were underwater in Year 3.

We brought in a gunslinger and an explosive receiver from the portal and things happened.

Only the big dogs are retaining top players for 3 to 4 years now because they can afford to do so.

We have to move on from the old mindset.

They could have just as easily published positive comments as they have done in the past. And even in this year's comments, they gave Beamer a compliment saying his hire of Elliott was "smart". We will know soon enough how valid the comments are about Beamer. I would not lose any sleep over the comments. But, that's me.
I don't lose sleep over them. I would have to believe in their authenticity for that to even be a possibility.

I don't lose sleep over them. I would have to believe in their authenticity for that to even be a possibility.

They do this each year, and my memory is that some people like them as long as the quotes are positive.

I have no doubt that the media asks these off the record questions. But I also agree that the anonymous nature allows them to embellish or fabricate as well.

Last edited:
They do this each year, and my memory is that some people lile them as long as the quotes are positive.

I have no doubt that the media asks these off the record questions. But I also agree that the anonymous nature allows them to embellish or fabricate as well.

What's the point of anonymous quotes in sports? It's not like it's coming from the Pentagon.

Rags that participate in this level of journalism should be ignored.

All they are trying to do is drive traffic to their website through nonsense so they can sell more banner space.

Have to admire his willingness to be an idiot.

We were excelling while Missouri was underwater, yet they beat us by two scores in a game that didn’t even feel competitive.

Sure. It's all about one game Watson. I don't recall Missouri beating a couple of Top Ten teams that year.

You have an account with over 12,000 listless, angry, trolling posts but I'm the idiot. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cockn'fyr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT