ADVERTISEMENT

When Do We Get Rid of Franks' BOY ????

You're talking about the 4-year thing again. Most of the historical analysis you mention is irrelevant unless something changes. Ole Miss and Missouri are terrible comparisons for us at this point. They are the biggest winners in the SEC in this new money game and that has been well publicized. We are unfortunately part of the club that can't afford to pay many recruits and also can't retain our best talent so we're on the losing end as of today. If Sellers and those two 4-WRs you mentioned have a good season, chances are we won't be able to retain them all.

I think the AD will switch Beamer out when there's enough heat from the fans and media to do so. Much will depend on his performance this year and next. Similar to Muschamp, if he records a couple of 4 win seasons or less, he'll be gone. Otherwise, our fans will still fill the stadium and the AD will be fine collecting its SEC revenue check each year.

I'm not fond of the fact football has become this irrelevant for us either. But the reality is that the new system is unfair and you need to have money we haven't demonstrated we possess to be competitive on any consistent basis.
Well if it's a NIL money issue it really doesn't matter who the coach is. The lure of cash will win every time.

Reactions: PaleoCock
Both are factors. And I don't think we should neglect one because we aren't the best at the other.
They flow together though. How can you accurately judge a coach's performance when you've historically been a thin 1st team squad and you're watching your best talent walk because of lack of funding?

This year might change my mind. But as of today, I believe Beamer is doing a good job.

Last edited:
They flow together though. How can you accurately judge a coach's performance when you've historically been a thin 1st team squad and you're watching your best talent walk?

This year might change my mind. But as of today, I believe Beamer is doing a good job.

A lot of our competition is also suffering under the new "free agency" rules too. And other coach's are still responsible for their team's performance.

I don't like the idea of absolving the coach completley because of some inexact notion of how we are doing with NIL.

But I agree with you about this year. Any judgement on Beamer is incomplete as of yet. Next year will go a long way in showing if he can turn this around. And he'll have another year after that too.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
A lot of our competition is also suffering under the new "free agency" rules too. And other coach's are still responsible for their team's performance.

I don't like the idea of absolving the coach completley because of some inexact notion of how we are doing with NIL.

But I agree with you about this year. Any judgement on Beamer is incomplete as of yet. Next year will go a long way in showing if he can turn this around. And he'll have another year after that too.

Can you name those teams in the SEC? I really haven't seen many getting hit like we are.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Can you name those teams in the SEC? I really haven't seen many getting hit like we are.

I've heard belly aching from many fans who think they are the only ones that NIL is hurting.

I would also point out that there is a chicken and egg thing going on here. Some players may be leaving due to the poor results of the team. Our WR going to Ole Miss is one example.

Meaning players are leaving because we are playing poorly, but we're playing poorly because players are leaving, etc.

Here is a link to a portal tracker for the SEC.

It is raw numbers with some comments.

I've heard belly aching from many fans who think they are the only ones that NIL is hurting.

I would also point out that there is a chicken and egg thing going on here. Some players may be leaving due to the poor results of the team. Our WR going to Ole Miss is one example.

Meaning players are leaving because we are playing poorly, but we're playing poorly because players are leaving, etc.
Haven't seen any teams in the SEC losing their top players for 2 years straight like we have and I've researched it. Players such as Wells, Burch, Bell, Lloyd all went to the new money schools. My point really is that the topic deserves research and not just guessing to place blame.

Haven't seen any teams in the SEC losing their top players for 2 years straight like we have and I've researched it. Players such as Wells, Burch, Bell, Lloyd all went to the new money schools. My point really is that the topic deserves research and not just guessing to place blame.

I see you replied before I edited. I did research it.

I've pointed out juice, who is quoted for leaving to be on a competitve team. And you do know that Wells was brought in by the portal, right? We can't only count when we lose guys.

Lloyd was celebrated when he left as an overhyped underachiever. And Bell left after his family publicly called out our staff for not utilizing him.

And the guy that literally carried our team for the past two years was a portal player too.

I believe that many people have thus "grass is greener" idea about the portal when it is sucking for most teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21
I see you replied before I edited. I did research it.

I've pointed out juice, who is quoted for leaving to be on a competitve team.

And you do know that Wells was brought in by the portal, right? We can't only count when we lose guys. Lloyd was celebrated when he left as an overhyped underachiever. And the guy that literally carried our team for the past two years was a portal player too.

I believe that many people have thus "grass is greener" idea about the portal when it is sucking for most teams.
He just said that for the media. Wells left because Ole Miss is paying him more money. Check out the Ole Miss Board on Reddit for confirmation. Wells wants as much money as he can in college because he might not be a good NFL receiver. The Rattler portal pickup was an aberration thanks to Beamer.

How can the portal suck for most teams? For every winner, there's a loser. Unfortunately, this is defined by money so the winners typically win and the losers typically lose.

They hate when you ask for receipts. :)

Reactions: Robhawk29
What would you rather over 4-years?

A yearly budget of $30 million to spend on and retain talent and Shane Beamer

or

A yearly budget of $5 million to spend on and retain talent and Nick Saban

That's $120 million to spend on a team vs $20 million.

He just said that for the media. Wells left because Ole Miss is paying him more money. Check out the Ole Miss Board on Reddit for confirmation. Wells wants as much money as he can in college because he might not be a good NFL receiver. The Rattler portal pickup was an aberration thanks to Beamer.

How can the portal suck for most teams? For every winner, there's a loser. Unfortunately, this is defined by money so the winners typically win and the losers typically lose.

I think if the situation was reversed, we might be arguing to take the players' words over anonymous message boards. But it is what it is.

And it's noted that the portal pickup who has literally carried our team for two years is dismissed so easily. I think that is part of the issue, actually.

You did reply again before I cleaned up my post. I find issues with your list of "top guys".

As for how the portal can suck for most teams? Look at the link I provided. Teams are losing tons of players each year. Anyone can point to players and claim they were about to break through, or next man up. Each team is graduating players AND replacing almost entire classes worth of players in the portal too. Few teams have any sort of consistent team building.

Here's a partial list of coaches who have stated that the NIL/Portal will destroy fair competition.

Steve Spurrier
Lou Holtz
Nick Saban
Jim Harbaugh
Kirby Smart
Dabo Swinney
Lane Kiffin
Dan Mullen
Matt Rhule

Once again, most schools on the wrong side of this situation don't want to talk about this because it would discourage donations.

They don't want donors feeling that they are pissing in the ocean because of the boatloads other teams pull in.

I think if the situation was reversed, we might be arguing to take the players' words over anonymous message boards. But it is what it is.

And it's noted that the portal pickup who has literally carried our team for two years is dismissed so easily. I think that is part of the issue, actually.

You did reply again before I cleaned up my post. I find issues with your list of "top guys".

As for how the portal can suck for most teams? Look at the link I provided. Teams are losing tons of players each year. Anyone can point to players and claim they were about to break through, or next man up. Each team is graduating players AND replacing almost entire classes worth of players in the portal too. Few teams have any sort of consistent team building.
Man, you know our history. You can't have top 5 players leaving each season.

The portal sucks for the same teams over and over who can't play their players.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Here's a partial list of coaches who have stated that the NIL/Portal will destroy fair competition.

Steve Spurrier
Lou Holtz
Nick Saban
Jim Harbaugh
Kirby Smart
Dabo Swinney
Lane Kiffin
Dan Mullen
Matt Rhule

Once again, most schools on the wrong side of this situation don't want to talk about this because it would discourage donations.

They don't want donors feeling that they are pissing in the ocean because of the boatloads other teams pull in.
Exactly.

Yep. As soon as this went into effect a couple of years back, I stated we would become a staging school of talent for the big money schools to pluck from and here we are. If Sellers turns out to be a stud, our fans are going to get the message loud and clear. Either we'll break the bank and have nothing for anyone else or have to let him go.

Right. Explain why our best players are walking out the door each year?

Where did our two best returning players go on offense this season?

You believe it's because they don't like Shane Beamer?

Or is it because we don't have $30mil to spend on obtaining and maintaining a team like many of the others in the SEC?

Back to the Future.
All coaches in CFB are now dealing with the same issues, so it is hardly a "what Beamer is dealing with" situation as you stated.
So if he is unable to adapt and deal with the new landscape, regardless of what the situation hands him, then it behoves the AD office to find someone who is more adaptable.

Assess, Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

All coaches in CFB are now dealing with the same issues, so it is hardly a "what Beamer is dealing with" situation as you stated.
So if he is unable to adapt and deal with the new landscape, regardless of what the situation hands him, then it behoves the AD office to find someone who is more adaptable.

I would agree if we were in a league like the ACC.

We play in the SEC where there is a clear line between the haves and have nots.

The NIL is making that division exponentially worse because the "haves" are absolutely loaded.

This is why Spurrier is lobbying to cap at $30mil (which we will probably never get to.)

I would agree if we were in a league like the ACC.

We play in the SEC where there is a clear line between the haves and have nots.

The NIL is making that division exponentially worse because the "haves" are absolutely loaded.

This is why Spurrier is lobbying to cap at $30mil (which we will probably never get to.)
100%. We're the team that owns a golf cottage in a luxury community.

Reactions: Ward Jr

I agree.

The most successful Head Football Coach here was Steve Spurrier. In his time here, his average national recruiting ranking was 20th. In the then 14-team conference, his average recruiting ranking was 8th. Over his time here, he produced 3 Top 10 teams including number 4 in the nation. I believe one can make the case that he accomplished more here than his overall recruiting indicated he would. I don't care how much NIL money is raised. Recruiting here for our football program will never be easy. There are always going to be lots of schools that can raise much more.

You are spot on when you say,
"Assess, Adapt, Improvise, Overcome". THAT is what a successful Head Football Coach here will always have to do.

Reactions: Lurker123
I agree.

The most successful Head Football Coach here was Steve Spurrier. In his time here, his average national recruiting ranking was 20th. In the then 14-team conference, his average recruiting ranking was 8th. Over his time here, he produced 3 Top 10 teams including number 4 in the nation. I believe one can make the case that he accomplished more here than his overall recruiting indicated he would. I don't care how much NIL money is raised. Recruiting here for our football program will never be easy. There are always going to be lots of schools that can raise much more.

You are spot on when you say,
"Assess, Adapt, Improvise, Overcome". THAT is what a successful Head Football Coach here will always have to do.

Stock - You keep forgetting things:

You have agreed with me that Spurrier would have walked out the door if he was losing his best players each season.

And Spurrier stated the first order of business in coaching in today's game is to find big money men.

And Spurrier wants the cap at $30mil.

Comeon now.

Stock - You keep forgetting things:

You have agreed with me that Spurrier would have walked out the door if he was losing his best players each season.

And Spurrier stated the first order of business in coaching in today's game is to find big money men.

And Spurrier wants the cap at $30mil.

Comeon now.
Ward, my point was that Spurrier overachieved beyond his recruiting results. Spurrier always HATED recruiting. I'm saying that a successful Head Football Coach here will ALWAYS have to overachieve beyond the player talent he has.

It is probably rare to find a college football coach that likes the NIL. As a fan, I don't. It's no different for any of the other 129 FBS schools. We are always, under the current system , going to raise less NIL money and thus have less to spend. But even before NIL, we did not out recruit most SEC schools. Harvard Gamecock put it well. Football coaches here will always have to adjust if they are going to be successful here.

Ward, my point was that Spurrier overachieved beyond his recruiting results. Spurrier always HATED recruiting. I'm saying that a successful Head Football Coach here will ALWAYS have to overachieve beyond the player talent he has.

It is probably rare to find a college football coach that likes the NIL. As a fan, I don't. It's no different for any of the other 129 FBS schools. We are always, under the current system , going to raise less NIL money and thus have less to spend. But even before NIL, we did not out recruit most SEC schools. Harvard Gamecock put it well. Football coaches here will always have to adjust if they are going to be successful here.

You're talking directly over the fact Spurrier would quit if was losing his players due to money.

All coaches aren't dealing with the same situation as HarvardGamecock stated. He's trolling or a fool on the subject.

If you have $30 million to spend versus $3-5 million each and every year, that's a pretty massive divide.

Last edited:
My point is you give a young man from what I've heard 7 figures and he plays part of two games, IMO you're better off without him! That's the shady thing about NIL there is no contract. You're not sure what you're going to get for your money.

You're talking directly over the fact Spurrier would quit if was losing his players due to money.

All coaches aren't dealing with the same situation as HarvardGamecock stated. He's trolling or a fool.

If you have $30 million to spend versus $3-5 million each and every year, that's a pretty massive divide.
Is that the actual situation? We have 3-5 million dollars? Does Tennessee have 30 million dollars? Does Florida?

And yet your list of "top players" had a few glaring holes in it. I think that speaks to my point, where fans each think their team is the only one really being hurt by the portal.

I agree the portal sucks for the same teams over and over. I just think those teams encompass a lot more of cfb than you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
My point is you give a young man from what I've heard 7 figures and he plays part of two games, IMO you're better off without him! That's the shady thing about NIL there is no contract. You're not sure what you're going to get for your money.

Yeah - Wells was a money chaser. Now he'll have a hotshot 5-star QB who has a private plane as part of his NIL deal.

And yet your list of "top players" had a few glaring holes in it. I think that speaks to my point, where fans each think their team is the only one really being hurt by the portal.

Explain this Lurker. Your posts are full of holes.

Also, I find it quite ironic that you've had blood battles with other posters that you refer to as "she."

Yet you avoid my posts? If they are "she", where would that place you?

I don't think that's the actual situation at all. Here's one source, fwiw:

Some players will just chase the money. Others chase winning on the field. Every coach has to deal with problems of today. If muchchamp had been fired when he should have (thanks to a buyout that was nothing short of insane) we could have gotten Drinkwitz then. We can get good coaches here. We just don't.

Reactions: Lurker123
Some players will just chase the money. Others chase winning on the field. Every coach has to deal with problems of today. If muchchamp had been fired when he should have (thanks to a buyout that was nothing short of insane) we could have gotten Drinkwitz then. We can get good coaches here. We just don't.

That's ridiculous.

There's a road race and Mario Andretti is in a Camry while you're in a Porsche 911.

You believe the great driver is going to win?

So teams that are paying QBs alone in excess of $10 million don't have $30mil++ squads?

And Spurrier's cap was out of thin air.

Think Lurker. The dots are there for you.
Apparently not. Did you see the graph? Texas at #1 at 25 million. There's no team in the SEC with 30 million.

Here is a link to a portal tracker for the SEC.

It is raw numbers with some comments.
t
That p**** receiver you mentioned was part of the reason we struggled last year! He was cleared and chose not to play!

Spurrier got lucky....PERIOD! He had a run of in-state talent that he was able to get that ended up being elite! As soon as that dried up so did he!

I don't think that's the actual situation at all. Here's one source, fwiw:

Arguments are better when you make stuff up though, apparently.

Do you believe in Santa Claus as well?

Lurker, if the NIL spends were public knowledge, that would be shared all over the media and talk shows everywhere.

Alex Laycock is seeking engagement so he can add to his follower base.

Comeon.

Lurker, if the NIL spends were public knowledge, that would be shared all over the media and talk shows everywhere.
You act like it is public knowledge. Caleb Williams made 10 million reportedly. Over his last TWO seasons. And he was a heisman trophy winner with endorsements from huge corporations. What other qb made 10 million?

All coaches aren't dealing with the same situation as HarvardGamecock stated. He's trolling or a fool.

Not all coaches are quitting. Saban retired. That's ONE out of 130. That's less than ONE PERCENT. There is no truckload number of coaches quitting because of NIL. You are ignoring that fact.

Again, all schools have NEVER been equal and never will be even if all schools had the same amount of NIL monies.

Not all coaches are quitting. Saban retired. That's ONE out of 130. That's less than ONE PERCENT. There is no truckload number of coaches quitting because of NIL. You are ignoring that fact.

Again, all schools have NEVER been equal and never will be even if all schools had the same amount of NIL monies.

What does this have to do with anything? You and I both agreed Spurrier would walk if his best were walking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT