ADVERTISEMENT

Where are all you Frank haters now?!?

Frank might have what they used to call Underdog Syndrome. He seems addicted to the thrill of both coming from behind, or working up out of last place. He evidently overtrains the team early in the year so they are too worn out to play well. Then when he tapers down the workouts, the team is in great shape and starts beating a few teams they were not expected to beat. He puts his best players in the “doghouse” then plays them when we need to make a run. Then at the end of the year, it looks like we are at least trending up, so we repeat the same process expecting better results next year.

Well he certainly got his point across to Couisnard. Just a shame he can’t incorporate his lessons without costing us wins, especially with the rare players who have been part of the program for more than a few years.

It isn’t the talent level, as when we play to our potential we can be really good. That first half against Arky was great. But we are never consistent enough, and proves that Frank hasn’t been able to extract the best out of his players consistently enough. The fact he has to sit and go through those issues with players year after year highlight the disconnect that exist between coach and player

If Frank's team would play like they did in the 2nd half (hair on fire), he may survive in a photo finish. Understand that this is how KY, Auburn and LSU play 90% of the time.

Based on what we have seen, it's not likely, though.

Frank might have what they used to call Underdog Syndrome. He seems addicted to the thrill of both coming from behind, or working up out of last place. He evidently overtrains the team early in the year so they are too worn out to play well. Then when he tapers down the workouts, the team is in great shape and starts beating a few teams they were not expected to beat. He puts his best players in the “doghouse” then plays them when we need to make a run. Then at the end of the year, it looks like we are at least trending up, so we repeat the same process expecting better results next year.
Seems to be the same thing year after year.

What I don't understand is his substitution pattern. If you have the depth it makes sense to substitute often to wear the other team down. But twice he took Stevenson out just after he made 2 straight 3 pointers. Why not leave a guy in the game if he has the hot hand? He did the same with another player but can't remember who it was - may have been Jermaine Couisnard.

Former UNC Point Guard Kenny Smith has this saying he uses on TNT Basketball broadcasts all the time. A coach can't give you confidence, but he can take it away. Frank Martin, as a coach, is the epitome of that. He gets mad at his top guys, benches them like they are scrubs, and wonders why they can't be consistent. I don't think his messages resonate much with players because they are so scared of him that they don't even look him in the eyes when he is talking to them. Watch how his player look down at the floor when he is screaming at them. It's like with a parent that screams all the time. After awhile you tune it out and you don't hear a word that they said.

I don’t think anyone hates Coach Martin. I do think the majority of the fans feel we need a fresh start in basketball.

lighten-up.gif

He coaches like a drill instructor. As others have pointed out before, players know what they're getting with CFM, he certainly doesn't hold back. Near the end of the season, his soldiers usually show improvement and win more games. For various reasons we lose a lot of players, the main reason we are constantly in rebuild mode. Thankful for his time and contributions to the school I attended. Wish him the best going forward. Hope his replacement isn't another drill instructor.

Can’t blame him for always being in rebuild mode. It’s a sign of the times. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and other top programs are always in rebuild mode. They just rebuild better than we do.

Reactions: kidrobinski
Frank has been retired for a couple of years now. He may be still employed but he has checked out and just going through the motions. It happens to everyone a some point in time and it will you.

Just how much of his $3.2 million salary is he earning anyway?
You're hating the playah instead of the game.

What would you say a coach needed to do to "earn" his salary? "Win"?

Baloney. Then you'd expect to win more to "earn" that salary.

It seems to be the common line of thinking today that a school need but "spend money" and it's entitled to "win." If that's true, it has yet to be proven. Someone mentioned upthread that the Dukes, Kentuckys, Kansas's rebuild "better" than we do. I watched Roche and Owens at the Coliseum when they were sophomores and I was in high school; except for those three seasons with NYC guys, we have never and WILL never attract players at that level. We are simply not sexy to players; it would be like EVH joining the Cleverlys.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

You're hating the playah instead of the game.

What would you say a coach needed to do to "earn" his salary? "Win"?

Baloney. Then you'd expect to win more to "earn" that salary.

It seems to be the common line of thinking today that a school need but "spend money" and it's entitled to "win." If that's true, it has yet to be proven. Someone mentioned upthread that the Dukes, Kentuckys, Kansas's rebuild "better" than we do. I watched Roche and Owens at the Coliseum when they were sophomores and I was in high school; except for those three seasons with NYC guys, we have never and WILL never attract players at that level. We are simply not sexy to players; it would be like EVH joining the Cleverlys.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
As I stated in another thread, Roche & Owens chose USC because we were in the ACC.

And because of the coach. (secondarily)
And because of all the New Yorkers on the team.

R&O were evaluating Dook as well. Dook coach Vic Bubas told them that the Carolina Coliseum wasn't even under construction. They of course found that to be false on a visit to Columbia. Bubas' lie to them helped seal the deal. They were also told by their coach (not Bubas) that while McGuire won't make any illegal payments, he also wouldn't lie to them.

To be clear, the duo wouldn't have even considered USC if we were not in the ACC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT