ADVERTISEMENT

Where did we lose this game?

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
I thought we played hard with the exception of the last 2 mins. It’s as if we let the pressure get to us, which was surprising. 1 turnover that led to a flagrant foul, Meyers misses 2 crucial FT’s, Silva gets called for a lane violation giving TT an extra FT, the inability to stop K. Evans who shot 58% on FG, 66% on 3’s, and 100% on FT’s. The

The balance of this game came down to about 3 bad possessions during those last 2 mins. We sure miss Felder. It was disappointing to see how we finished this game compared to the FL game, but TT is a really good team. I don’t think we’ve played a better defensive team all year.

Having said that, I feel like our guys are playing better than I could have imagined just a few weeks ago, so it’s hard to be too disappointed. We’ve gone from all the talk being about rebuilding to we’re on the bubble of making the Big Dance with a few more W’s over ranked teams. I think the home losses to ranked teams hurt us more than the road W’s over ranked teams help us, but we’ll see how the rest of the season unfolds. There’s still a lot of BB left to play.

Why does everyone always think effort is the reason things don't go perfectly? It had nothing to do with effort. Their guy couldn't miss, and we missed two free throws. I had the feeling when we went down by 1, we wouldn't do well down the stretch. A bad 3 by Meyers, 2 missed free throws, and a 3 point play was enough.

The loss sucks, but it just got away from them at the end. If the game was shorter by 3 minutes, no one would be complaining.

I do think it hurts not having a great ball handler at the end. Silva dribbled into a corner which led to the flagrant foul.

Last edited:
Seems easy to point out 1 or 2 particular possessions to blame the game. Plain and simple, they were a better team today and played their best when it mattered most. Wish we had a PG like their Evans.

Good thing it's only 1 game.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
We failed to corral a long rebound on a missed 3 pointer, they fielded it, and I believe they scored a 3 pointer.

Reactions: funktavious
I thought we played hard with the exception of the last 2 mins. It’s as if we let the pressure get to us, which was surprising. 1 turnover that led to a flagrant foul, Meyers misses 2 crucial FT’s, Silva gets called for a lane violation giving TT an extra FT, the inability to stop K. Evans who shot 58% on FG, 66% on 3’s, and 100% on FT’s. The

The balance of this game came down to about 3 bad possessions during those last 2 mins. We sure miss Felder. It was disappointing to see how we finished this game compared to the FL game, but TT is a really good team. I don’t think we’ve played a better defensive team all year.

Having said that, I feel like our guys are playing better than I could have imagined just a few weeks ago, so it’s hard to be too disappointed. We’ve gone from all the talk being about rebuilding to we’re on the bubble of making the Big Dance with a few more W’s over ranked teams. I think the home losses to ranked teams hurt us more than the road W’s over ranked teams help us, but we’ll see how the rest of the season unfolds. There’s still a lot of BB left to play.
Point guard play. Look at our p.g. stat line and the lack leadership down the stretch.

Meyers missing 2 free throws followed by him missing a 3. I know it’s a team game but he also got beat playing defense in the end.

Inconsistent point guard play, without Myers we get blown out at Florida just wish we could have had a little more from him this game. Plus as I said in other threads, we had some dumb fouls and we didn't get the ball to Silva at all in the last 5 minutes. There were also a couple of lose v all's that didn't go our wY

I thought it was amazing SC was even in the game, much less up by 4 late..Credit goes to Martin for having the Gamecocks even close to winning against TT

I agree. Just a few weeks ago we had no hope that this team would compete in or let alone win any of the last 5 games. Their play though has re-energized all of us. Now we’re talking about the possibility of post-season play whereas before it was a forgone conclusion where we would be once the SEC Tourney was over. Our team is playing right now much better than our season record indicates. Hopefully that will continue, and we have a shot at the dance. Lotta BB left to play.

Reactions: tl from little hell
Evans - he was unstoppable. But we had the lead when that idiotic flagrant foul was called on Booker. It was a hard foul, no worse than many we see during a game. Don`t think we got the lead back after that. That was a terrible call, especially since they reviewed it.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The flagrant foul call on Booker did not cost us the game even though it was a horrible call. It was a 2 shot foul however. Their player only hit one of the free throws and they didn't score on the extra possession they got because of it. Evans and mistakes made on both ends in the last 5 minutes killed us.

It was a combination of things. Turnovers down the stretch, the 2 missed field goals, and we gave up a few offensive rebounds that gave them extra possessions. We also shot bad behind the arc for the game, 19%.

Missed two front ends of one and ones, that takes away 4 possible points right there in the second half. Little things piled up on us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT