ADVERTISEMENT

Which is the biggest ROOT PROBLEM with the state of athletics at USC, Ray Tanner or the BOT?

Magoo is symptomatic of the underlying disease.

You want to create meaningful, transformative change, then you start by dragging the good ‘ol boy system of establishing our BOT into the 21st century.

We are an institution of higher learning. Yet, when it comes to the powers that be, we never learn a damn thing.
Thats where things get muggy for me, who are the ones that have that power? It have to be the board to do this to thr BOT which no way they will change up things and ruin what they have going with $$ and politics.

If it's the BOTs then firing Ray will only put a Band-Aid on our problems. I know several things have been discussed about how the BOT members are appointed but we need to get the politics out of the selection process (which is the biggest understatement of the year) LOL! But, the fact remains if changes aren't made to the BOT appointments, our great great great grandchildren will be on GCC complaining about the same thing.
You start one of these about every 10 days….give it a rest til the new year would ya

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321
Ray Tanner is an issue. But it’s the BOT who hired him and continues to retain him. The rumor is that Tanner will retire in 2024 so it would be bad form to fire him now. On the other hand I don’t think it’s right putting the betterment of USC sports, mainly the football team, on hold for however many years until he decides to retire. He could be reassigned to an ambassador role or something until he wants to retire. A/D is not a position that you want a lame duck in.

I agree with this. I think Tanner has less authority now than he did when he took the job.
Very true. I understand the frustration. However, firing him is just retribution. Decision made right now should be helpful moving forward and not just penal. Unless the BOT is going to hire a power AD and give him authority then you're not really helping anything.

I agree with the sentiment that we are married to RT now and just need to ride it out with him. He should have been let go when he screwed the Spurrier departure, but that is too far in the past now. Move along.

Very true. I understand the frustration. However, firing him is just retribution. Decision made right now should be helpful moving forward and not just penal. Unless the BOT is going to hire a power AD and give him authority then you're not really helping anything.
Completely agree. Firing Ray Tanner right now does nothing. If Frank Martin is gone after this season RT won't be making the hire. He will be the face of the search, but the decision will be made by others. If Beamer turns out to be a bad hire we won't know for 2-3 more years and RT will be retired soon after. Bottom line is he can't do much more damage.

Completely agree. Firing Ray Tanner right now does nothing. If Frank Martin is gone after this season RT won't be making the hire. He will be the face of the search, but the decision will be made by others. If Beamer turns out to be a bad hire we won't know for 2-3 more years and RT will be retired soon after. Bottom line is he can't do much more damage.
The impetus behind the Beamer hire was Caslen, a few BOT members and some former players. For good or bad that hire lands on them. Napier was Tanner's candidate.

People forget that one reason Caslen was hired was to cut costs.

BOT by a long-shot. Member of the BOT insert themselves into Athletics business way too much (such as forcing A.D. to give contract extensions when it's not time for that etc.). They also hurt coaches and A.D. by leaking information to media. Even if you hated Muschamp, members of the B.O.T. did as much damage as they could to cut his legs out and hurt recruiting with some of the things they made public.

While I agree with your assessment 100%; I personally don't like use of the term damage in your post. But that's just me.

Reactions: rogue cock
If it's the BOTs then firing Ray will only put a Band-Aid on our problems. I know several things have been discussed about how the BOT members are appointed but we need to get the politics out of the selection process (which is the biggest understatement of the year) LOL! But, the fact remains if changes aren't made to the BOT appointments, our great great great grandchildren will be on GCC complaining about the same thing.
Idiots that post things like this. You can't change either one

While I agree with your assessment 100%; I personally don't like use of the term damage in your post. But that's just me.

What word would you use?
A good question. I would rephrase the last sentence as:

Bottom line is his impact will be minimal.

Biggest problem on our BOT is diversity. And I dont mean race or gender. I mean background. We need at least half of them to be small business people, community types. We have far too many lawyers and professional types. Not that we don’t need those too, but we don’t need a board consisted of only those.

A good question. I would rephrase the last sentence as:

Bottom line is his impact will be minimal.
Agree. Get a few more facility improvements completed and ease into retirement....leaving the department in good shape as far as academic, financial and infrastructure for the next person who takes over.

Agree. Get a few more facility improvements completed and ease into retirement....leaving the department in good shape as far as academic, financial and infrastructure for the next person who takes over.

I see what u did🧐……referencing Hyman‘s cleaning up of the Duke grads mess.

I find it interesting the number of posters who are willing to criticize the BOT for pissing off our largest donors to the University, YET are willing to chance the same result with our large athletic donors by firing Tanner. Especially since Tanner is supposed to retire at the end of his current contract in July 2024.

This board can definitely be schizophrenic.

Well, for one thing I never heard about the retiring come July 2024. That does put a different slant on it. The only big athletic challenge between now and then should be possibly hiring a new MBB coach. I'm of the opinion that this is more likely than not but we won't be in a position to wait until 2024 if that comes to pass.

Well, for one thing I never heard about the retiring come July 2024. That does put a different slant on it. The only big athletic challenge between now and then should be possibly hiring a new MBB coach. I'm of the opinion that this is more likely than not but we won't be in a position to wait until 2024 if that comes to pass.
Some believe he may retire prior to that. He will finish off some improvement projects including the WB improvements currently planned for and most likely the improvements to Founder's Park that are needed. As far as a basketball coach, he could do what Hyman did twice and hire Fogler to find us a new basketball coach.

He will be a great asset to the University's athletic program with fundraising, etc. for a long time.

I find it interesting the number of posters who are willing to criticize the BOT for pissing off our largest donors to the University, YET are willing to chance the same result with our large athletic donors by firing Tanner. Especially since Tanner is supposed to retire at the end of his current contract in July 2024.

This board can definitely be schizophrenic.
Has RT publicly stated that he will retire at the end of his current contract, or is that just "word on the street?"

Has RT publicly stated that he will retire at the end of his current contract, or is that just "word on the street?"
More word on the street. He completes his eligibility for the SC Retirement system during this contract. Also word is he wants to spend more time with his charity and family.

Reactions: atl-cock
Ray Tanner is an issue. But it’s the BOT who hired him and continues to retain him. The rumor is that Tanner will retire in 2024 so it would be bad form to fire him now. On the other hand I don’t think it’s right putting the betterment of USC sports, mainly the football team, on hold for however many years until he decides to retire. He could be reassigned to an ambassador role or something until he wants to retire. A/D is not a position that you want a lame duck in.
Shouldn't it be the president who hires the AD? Now my understanding is the the BOT has to approve contracts for "major hires," which I guess gives them the right of "first refusal."

An example, IMO, of an overreaching BOT.

Go back and read up on when McGuire was hired. I learned the below from reading J. Samuel Walker's book ACC Basketball: the story of the rivalries, traditions, and scandals of the first two decades of the Atlantic Coast Conference. I have paraphrased/summarized part of what Walker wrote about USC in the chapter on the "revolt of the also-rans" (i.e., the four non-NC members of the league).

Interim coach Dwayne Morrison (who stepped in when coach Chuck Noe resigned about 1/3 of the way through the 1963-64 season) who was interested in being permanently hired, was also interested in staying on as part of McGuire's staff when Frank was ultimately hired. USC President Thomas Jones insisted that McGuire add Morrison to his staff. McGuire had no issues with Morrison per se, but rightly did not want to be told who he had to hire. McGuire balked on principle, and went back to New York.

Sol Blatt chewed out Jones and "ordered" him to go to NYC and grovel before McGuire.

Both Jones and Blatt, IMO, overstepped their bounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT