ADVERTISEMENT

Whitlow Transfers (Updated with link)

Thought he looked good the little time he got to play. Was this a "mutual decision" or is this one we wanted to keep?
Not sure. He played well in spots last year, but played very little this year. Always got the feeling that the coaching staff didn't like his effort level, but I'm not privy to that information.

I think most of our GCC members knew that a 'quiet and peaceful purge' was coming after the season was over and recruiting completed. It was inevitable. Some players were in over their heads; others simply lacked the effort, drive/determination and work ethic necessary to compete in the SEC.

I think most of our GCC members knew that a 'quiet and peaceful purge' was coming after the season was over and recruiting completed. It was inevitable. Some players were in over their heads; others simply lacked the effort, drive/determination and work ethic necessary to compete in the SEC.
Yeah....taking a quick look at his Twitter, it doesn't seem as though it was his choice. Hate it for the kid...seems like a good kid.

Reactions: RaginRooster
Does this mean we are trying to sign the 4-star top 100 DL recruit that is supposed to grayshirt at Bama? Please, oh please.
Highly doubtful. Bama will probably be able to take him anyway. No way that everyone qualifies in Bama's class. Numbers usually work themselves out.

Bummer about Boosie. I thought he had potential, but I guess the staff feels otherwise. We know CWM ain't playing around so I guess this was for the best. Good luck to Boosie wherever he ends up.

Reactions: rogue cock
The timing of this transfer is very revealing...Last spring Coach Thompson made some comments about Boosie's work ethic that mad me go uh oh!!! Considering this is the first day of winter work outs, Whitlow's work ethic might not be up to standards still...Coach Boom is not going to tolerate anyone not 100% committed ti excellence...

What is going on. Just reported that Boosie is leaving the program- anyone know why... 3 in a week-

This is not a surprise to the staff. The full number of 2017 players were signed with the assumption that there would be some natural attrition. If the roster is going to improve to compete with upper echelon, it must be full of only SEC atheletes, the others will need to be tactfully nudged to move on. It's unfortunate if he lacked the talent but had the work ethic. But it doesn't sound like that was the case here.

I like Muschamp for the most part; he works hard and his players work hard. However, his theory that there is no such thing as "game day players" is flawed. Sure, practice is helpful, but it will not always trump raw talent. What do you think he would have done with Clowney? He didn't exactly have a great work ethic according to Spurrier and some of the other coaches (of course, that might not be wholly true), but on Game Day he was unstoppable. Would he have benched Clowney or forced a transfer because he didn't practice hard enough? My worry is that we might be sending a player or two out who have better raw talent than some of those we are keeping because they don't practice hard. I mean, if they know the playbook, and they get it done on game day,....

I'm not saying those guys don't need to practice--you can always get better--but at our current position in CFB, we might need to make some exceptions. Guys like Kobe and MJ are great examples of guys with the innate talent and the work ethic; that's why they were the greatest. I can see both sides

Didn't see him this year....
wat_o_1688883.jpg

Reactions: 76gintcock
Boosie Whitlow's leaving pains me a little. I thought he showed tremendous promise on the D-line. I wonder what happened? I figured him to be one who would see a lot of playing time. There most be something going on here that I'm unaware of. Any one know anything?

Boosie Whitlow's leaving pains me a little. I thought he showed tremendous promise on the D-line. I wonder what happened? I figured him to be one who would see a lot of playing time. There most be something going on here that I'm unaware of. Any one know anything?

I have an 18yr-old. Some days, I wonder how he manages to feed himself.

Kids at 17, 18, 19 often times just don't use much of their brains at all - IF at all. From tidbits on here, it sounds like maybe that's what going on with BW. He's a very talented kid, who, for whatever reason, seems to be uninterested in making the most of his talent as it pertains to football. Disappointing for us as fans, and potentially for him as a FB player, as I believe he could have had some success with FB. Just have to wish him luck with wherever life leads him.

I like Muschamp for the most part; he works hard and his players work hard. However, his theory that there is no such thing as "game day players" is flawed. Sure, practice is helpful, but it will not always trump raw talent. What do you think he would have done with Clowney? He didn't exactly have a great work ethic according to Spurrier and some of the other coaches (of course, that might not be wholly true), but on Game Day he was unstoppable. Would he have benched Clowney or forced a transfer because he didn't practice hard enough? My worry is that we might be sending a player or two out who have better raw talent than some of those we are keeping because they don't practice hard. I mean, if they know the playbook, and they get it done on game day,....

I'm not saying those guys don't need to practice--you can always get better--but at our current position in CFB, we might need to make some exceptions. Guys like Kobe and MJ are great examples of guys with the innate talent and the work ethic; that's why they were the greatest. I can see both sides

I agree with Coach Boom. and vehemently disagree with you...You have to start and play the most talented players who work hard and commit 100% to the program..Doing otherwise created rifts and clics in the program...Had Spurrier held Clowney to a high standard from the beginning he would have adapted and been better off for it...Yet after 3 yrs of letting JD do as he pleased SOS compared his work ethic unfavorably to the other great players in the program prior to the draft.(cheap shot)..One primary job of a HBC is to instill a great work ethic through out the program...Can't be done if you tolerate gifted slackers...Recruit only gifted players and root out the slackers

I agree with Coach Boom. and vehemently disagree with you...You have to start and play the most talented players who work hard and commit 100% to the program..Doing otherwise created rifts and clics in the program...Had Spurrier held Clowney to a high standard from the beginning he would have adapted and been better off for it...Yet after 3 yrs of letting JD do as he pleased SOS compared his work ethic unfavorably to the other great players in the program prior to the draft.(cheap shot)..One primary job of a HBC is to instill a great work ethic through out the program...Can't be done if you tolerate gifted slackers...Recruit only gifted players and root out the slackers

I think you somewhat mistook what I meant, although I didn't convey it very well. I'm not saying he isn't right to have high expectations, and you're right, JD would have been a better player if he had worked harder; however, some guys are just better on game day. I played sports with guys who practiced hard but weren't really that sharp in practice; however, when those lights came on, those guys were on point. I agree with you that Champ needs to put his stamp on things and do it his way. I also agree that practice is important; I just feel that his statement that the best practice players play on game day can come at the expense of not necessarily playing the best players on game day. Some guys seem to just shine on game day--although it is important for those guys to practice hard. That being said, he is the coach, and I respect his decision; and if I were one of his players, I would work my hardest at practice because that's how you refine your talent. You're also right in that it sets the standards and expectations for the players, which is extremely important. I was speaking mostly in the hypothetical. Suppose Boosie was one of those guys who worked hard in practice, but for some reason didn't look as good as another guy at practice, but he was lights out on game day. Would you play him or the other guy? This is completely hypothetical, btw, I have no idea why BW is leaving.

Reactions: Brace1
Evidently Boosie wasn't working as hard in the weight room and in practice as Will would like. Will says you have to work to play and it appears Boosie wasn't as committed as Will thought he should be. I heard this last year so my information is old.

Reactions: lawcalcock

I agree 100 percent!! I played with guys that gave little effort in practice, but when the game was on" they were on!!

I agree 100 percent!! I played with guys that gave little effort in practice, but when the game was on" they were on!!

Most of us probably did, but there is a huge difference is doing it at the High school level vs. doing it at the SEC level. If a player isn't in the weight room getting bigger, stronger, and faster then they won't be able to turn it on come gameday because they're at too much of a disadvantage.

I think you somewhat mistook what I meant, although I didn't convey it very well. I'm not saying he isn't right to have high expectations, and you're right, JD would have been a better player if he had worked harder; however, some guys are just better on game day. I played sports with guys who practiced hard but weren't really that sharp in practice; however, when those lights came on, those guys were on point. I agree with you that Champ needs to put his stamp on things and do it his way. I also agree that practice is important; I just feel that his statement that the best practice players play on game day can come at the expense of not necessarily playing the best players on game day. Some guys seem to just shine on game day--although it is important for those guys to practice hard. That being said, he is the coach, and I respect his decision; and if I were one of his players, I would work my hardest at practice because that's how you refine your talent. You're also right in that it sets the standards and expectations for the players, which is extremely important. I was speaking mostly in the hypothetical. Suppose Boosie was one of those guys who worked hard in practice, but for some reason didn't look as good as another guy at practice, but he was lights out on game day. Would you play him or the other guy? This is completely hypothetical, btw, I have no idea why BW is leaving.

You are absolutely correct about that. I was one of those guys myself. It's commonly referred to as being in "The Zone." No matter how hard I tried in practice I could never attain the level of intense concentration that I could in the game. Nobody has butterflies in the stomach before a practice, but they do before a game, because the game means so much and you have that intense desire to win and the fear of not making a play when you need to. During a game when everything is going full blast, it seemed to me that everything was in slow motion. It seemed it would take the ball five minutes to get to me instead of five seconds. I had such an intense level of concentration that I could count the revolutions of the ball in flight. Nothing in the world mattered but that ball. I could see nothing else, hear nothing else, and feel nothing else. I cracked 2 ribs in a game one time and never felt it or new it until after the game. I could never do that in practice no matter how much effort I gave, because it really has nothing to do with effort. It's psychological and not something you can control or turn on or off. It just happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT