ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you hate more Duke or UNC?

Any specific enmity between us and the ACC was entirely about McGuire. On the other side of the coin, Dietzel sold our leadership on the idea that the ACC's slightly more stringent entrance requirements and more limited scholarship numbers would prevent us from reaching national football prominence. We pulled out of the league and then the NCAA almost instantly legislated the same test score requirements and scholarship numbers for everyone. Basically, we wound up leaving for reasons which became moot.
And Clemron waited around to see how this would play out in the courts before taking any action.
If Clemron really was going to leave the league with us, why not have a joint news conference? Would have been far more effective.

We had UNC fans cheering rabidly for us, which was odd but understandable.

Duke appeared to be gracious in defeat, Coach K did not use playing us in SC as a excuse from what i heard, and they were complimentary of our defense being the toughest all year, you could see him with 18 seconds tell his team to stop fouling, a lot of teams just keep doing until the last tenth of a second.

I entered the game hating UNC more than Duke and still do.
For Me...it's at TIE

Those wandering years led us into the college athletics holy land. Make no mistake, joining the SEC is the best thing that has ever happened to USC from an athletics standpoint.
You can be thankful for the end result.....but during all those years of independence, not many were thankful for it. That's all I was saying. Would have preferred to stay in the ACC and then jump to the SEC if the opportunity presented itself....but can't know whether that would have been an option.

You can be thankful for the end result.....but during all those years of independence, not many were thankful for it. That's all I was saying. Would have preferred to stay in the ACC and then jump to the SEC if the opportunity presented itself....but can't know whether that would have been an option.
Agree on all points. Being an independent did allow us to play some pretty great football schedules though.

I HATE clemzun

I just have a mild distaste for everyone else, unless we play them- during which time I HATE THEM TOO.

And, JFTR, I got a "Go Cocks" from all UNC a fan at work as soon as I asked in the door today! Faster than my Gamecock coworkers could say it...

And he is the ultimate "ACC RAH RAH" kind of guy and "ANTI SEC" type too... super hung up, demonstrative about the bias FOR ACC in basketball being not nearly as insane as the bias for SEC in football in r cent yea s and unprompted today he also said- "looks like the SEC IS A BASKETBALL CONFERENCE NOW AND ACC IS A FB CONFERENCE!" Which I got a laugh out of because it was so far out of character and would have seemed so odd sounding like 2-3 years ago! LOL

Reactions: atl-cock
Asking me that question is like asking who do you hate more ISIS or Al-Qaeda. Or Russia or China. Or Iran or North Korea! Just hard to answer.

Here is the latest article that I've seen that mentioned it...plus a pretty darn good history of the rivalry.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com...lry-duke-blue-devils-south-carolina-gamecocks
Yes, it is a good article. Bob Stevens was replace by Chuck Noe, who had to quit mid-season 1963-64 and was replaced for the balance of the year by assistant Dwayne Morrison.

Yes, McGuire was belligerent. But wasn't he as belligerent while in Chapel Hill? He complained about the tourney then, even though the 1956-57 squad went 32-0.

Reactions: rogue cock
I hate UNC much more then Duke, but my Dad went to Duke, so I grew up rooting for them. No offense Heelz..........we thank y'all for the support last night!

Reactions: heelzfor2
I believe McGuire had to be aboard on the get-out plan after '70. It had to be tempting to become an independent, where the only "at-large" tourney bids existed. It had to chafe him that Villanova, Marquette and Notre Dame could bank on a regular invite while his Jesuit powerhouse had to work thru that conference bottleneck year after year.

I remember McGuire wanting to get out of the ACC. I went to his basketball camp the year we got out and he talked about us playing a national schedule. The national schedule turned out to be Notre Dame, Marquette, and a bunch of Northeast nobody's. Dietzel always got the blame, but McGuire wanted it too.

UNC fans helped make the arena even louder, and that helps us. For that I thank them. So today, I consider UNC as much less hated. They got satisfaction over our win, and so did we.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I'm sure in my heart that down the road, I can dislike them both equally again. But I will be pulling for both against the taters next year.

I remember McGuire wanting to get out of the ACC. I went to his basketball camp the year we got out and he talked about us playing a national schedule. The national schedule turned out to be Notre Dame, Marquette, and a bunch of Northeast nobody's. Dietzel always got the blame, but McGuire wanted it too.
And he should sound depressed? Why would he not put a positive spin on it.

He thought that the USC program was strong enough to handle being an independent. And might have been had our old ACC rivals continued to schedule us regularly.

UNC - I get so sick of hearing announcers say "Carolina" like they are the only one. They are getting away with big-time academic fraud in the football program, it looks like. Maybe if our program stays strong more of them will say "North" and not just assume. Makes me want to throw up.

UNC - I get so sick of hearing announcers say "Carolina" like they are the only one. They are getting away with big-time academic fraud in the football program, it looks like. Maybe if our program stays strong more of them will say "North" and not just assume. Makes me want to throw up.
I get sick of announcers referring to UnCarolina as "UNC".

UNC = University of Northern Colorado.

Not all those years we were wandering in the wilderness.
I enjoyed the Metro Conference... or at least being in a conference at the time. Had we joined when it was created in '75 instead of '83, the wilderness years would have been a fraction of what it was. Not sure why we didn't.

I enjoyed the Metro Conference

I kinda did too, but we sucked out loud, in it. Didn't we finish second in it once only to make zero noise in the tournament. I also recall hosting the Metro Tournament & doing absolutely nothing it in. Very underrated conference. Look at what it could be now:

Carolina
Louisville
Cincinnati
Memphis
Virginia Tech
Florida St.

I kinda did too, but we sucked out loud, in it. Didn't we finish second in it once only to make zero noise in the tournament. I also recall hosting the Metro Tournament & doing absolutely nothing it in. Very underrated conference. Look at what it could be now:

Carolina
Louisville
Cincinnati
Memphis
Virginia Tech
Florida St.
Yeah we did struggle. Maybe it would have been different if we were one of the founding members recently removed from the ACC. That could have been quite a conference. Who knows, GT (who left before we got there) might have stayed if we were there. Pretty stout indeed.

I enjoyed the Metro Conference... or at least being in a conference at the time. Had we joined when it was created in '75 instead of '83, the wilderness years would have been a fraction of what it was. Not sure why we didn't.
I never liked it. I do remember one game that may have been against Louisville that seemed like an old ACC battle. I never got that excited about the BB in that conference. Louisville was the powerhouse and refused to share it's winnings with conference members so it was a conference in name only.

I never liked it. I do remember one game that may have been against Louisville that seemed like an old ACC battle. I never got that excited about the BB in that conference. Louisville was the powerhouse and refused to share it's winnings with conference members so it was a conference in name only.
I can understand your feelings on that. Maybe Louisville was a major reason for the conference demise. I don't remember. By the time we joined, we had zero clout in the basketball world. So there wasn't much we could do about the politics of it. We were kinda just there. Still thought it was better than independent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT