ADVERTISEMENT

Who on here remembers the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco before game 3 of the world series

As one that had just had my electricity restored due to Hurricane Hugo, I remember it very well. We literally had our power restored just a day or two and then a major earthquake. Al Michael’s stated something like “we’re experiencing an earth......and the signal dropped from the stadium, picture went blank.

Having dinner with friends. Small TV on the kitchen counter where we could watch it from the table. The screen goes blank.

my grandparents were in SF when the earthquake hit and also that same year were here for Hugo. I remember someone giving them t-shirts saying we survived the SF quake and Hugo

I had a sales job on the west coast at the time. I was in Seattle when it happened. My boss in LA said he had a postal scale on his desk that started rattling when it happened. 10 days earlier, one of the other sales guys had driven me across the overpass that collapsed during the earthquake.

I was in Charleston helping our office there get back up and running after Hugo. Had just checked into the Omni hotel (now Charleston Place)
mainly because it was one of the few hotels fully up and running. flipped on the tv just as Al Michaels said “I think we’re having an earth…” a while later they came back on the air and players with their families and fans were on the field fearing the whole place may fall in. Then cameras on top of the stadium panned across town and smoke was rising from many locations. Then the pancaked double overpass scene was amazingly awful.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The thing I remember most is the reaction from Al Michaels on the live broadcast ... "Oh sh!t, its a f^@king earthquake!"

remember it well, had just settled in to watch on our porch in Key Largo. I was amazed and saddened all together.

I had a sales job on the west coast at the time. I was in Seattle when it happened. My boss in LA said he had a postal scale on his desk that started rattling when it happened. 10 days earlier, one of the other sales guys had driven me across the overpass that collapsed during the earthquake.

That’s a scary feeling. We lived in NoVa at the time of the Potomac River plane crash. My mother had literally just crossed the bridge that the plane clipped. She could see it in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I remember that day far too well: My wife picked the wrong morning to get her wisdom teeth removed at the Naval Hospital in Oakland. That afternoon, she was "nauseated" on painkillers when our walls started vibrating. She quickly sobered up, grabbed our son, and started praying up a storm.

Then I was recalled to work to work the Onizuka AFB Battlestaff, and clean up one of our satellite mission control complexes, thanks to a busted water line. People asked me for geology (aftershock) answers, but I was simply their meteorologist. Fun times.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I remember it well. The image I most remember is that of the cars crushed on bottom level of the multi-level bridge when it collapsed. It looked unsurvivable.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
remember it well, had just settled in to watch on our porch in Key Largo. I was amazed and saddened all together.

That’s a scary feeling. We lived in NoVa at the time of the Potomac River plane crash. My mother had literally just crossed the bridge that the plane clipped. She could see it in the rear view mirror.
Damn!

If you live long enough you will have some close calls with disaster. I've narrowly missed a few.

Reactions: caughtlookin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT