ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the next USC head coach?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
This is a prediction thread. I'm not asking for your personal choice. I'm asking whom you think Ray Tanner will hire. We can pull this thread up in Dec/Jan and see who got it right.

I believe coach Tanner will look to someone with SEC coaching experience, so I'll say Kirby Smart.

It's more like, who he can attract that will say yes. I'm sure most of the names floating around are "on the list" for consideration. We will be competing with Southern Cal, MD and whomever else fires coach between now and end of the year. So it will be fun to watch. I have no doubt a good offer will be made, it's all a matter of that person deciding he and his family will also be happy here. One thing for sure, we won't know who that coach is until afrer the regular season ends as I seriously doubt a coach anywhere is going to commit to anything while there is still half a season to go.

Love the HBC... Thankful for what he did here. Good luck Coach Tanner!

I like Kirby Smart, but for fun, I'll predict the guy from Memphis.

It's more like, who he can attract that will say yes. I'm sure most of the names floating around are "on the list" for consideration. We will be competing with Southern Cal, MD and whomever else fires coach between now and end of the year. So it will be fun to watch. I have no doubt a good offer will be made, it's all a matter of that person deciding he and his family will also be happy here. One thing for sure, we won't know who that coach is until afrer the regular season ends as I seriously doubt a coach anywhere is going to commit to anything while there is still half a season to go.

Love the HBC... Thankful for what he did here. Good luck Coach Tanner!

I like Kirby Smart, but for fun, I'll predict the guy from Memphis.

i also say Justin Fuente he is only making 1.4 million and is 39 help develop Andy Dalton

I wasn't in love with Smart because of how many Saban assistants have left, and the feeling I get that their success has a whole lot more to do with Saban being there than anyone or group of coaches. But, then you look at Smart's track record....and he's been at Bama with Saban since 07 and never left. Pretty nice run, and those are the two pieces that have stayed consistent right? Others have come and gone over there....but they think enough of him to pay him 1.25 or whatever as a coordinator. So.....I've had a change of heart. He's been with Saban longer than Bama ofcourse...just their time there together w/ the success achieved is the biggest selling point in the world.

I wasn't in love with Smart because of how many Saban assistants have left, and the feeling I get that their success has a whole lot more to do with Saban being there than anyone or group of coaches. But, then you look at Smart's track record....and he's been at Bama with Saban since 07 and never left. Pretty nice run, and those are the two pieces that have stayed consistent right? Others have come and gone over there....but they think enough of him to pay him 1.25 or whatever as a coordinator. So.....I've had a change of heart. He's been with Saban longer than Bama ofcourse...just their time there together w/ the success achieved is the biggest selling point in the world.

I agree with you about Saban assistants, though McIlwain at Florida seems like he is going to be great (never really been impressed with Jimbo and well... Muschamp).

But Smart - there just seems to be something about this guy. He is, well he's smart. Very methodical, seems like he has this planned out. He knows how college football works, knows the south in particular. He's worked under the best (Bobby Bowden and Saban), and knows a first class program is run. I have no doubt that if he were hired he has a list of about 3 or 4 coaches he wants to interview for each assistant slot. And he already knows what kind of recruiting "apparatus" he wants (like Clemson has now, similar to Alabama). All Tanner would have to do is add money.

I really don't know whether Saban being a micromanager or Smart not being an x and o genius bothers me (if that is the case). I want the head guy to be the face of the program, the guy in charge, a great recruiter, not someone who watches film four nights a week to come up with game plans and call plays. I want him to decide to go for it on fourth down, not calling a draw here, or a dive there.

He isn't my first choice (Willie Fritz would be), but he is someone to think about.

What does bug me though is if he tried to run a pro set/I formation thing here. We do not get, and it would be very difficult for us to get the kind of offensive linemen it takes to do that. Even if we started recruiting like gangbusters.

And that 3-4. SC puts out lots of defensive ends, and occasionally tackles like the kid who plays for Texas (Poon Ford). We very seldom put out dominating nose guards (which you basically need for the 3-4), and for some unknown reason we don't really seem to put out a lot of lb's. At least not compared to de's, db's, wr's, etc.

I guess my concern with him, is he going to be another Saban assistant who copies exactly what Saban does at Alabama? Or will he adjust things based on the kinds of teams that have beaten Alabama, and what SC's strong points are?

Cause him trying to pound guys from the I formation like some posters here want, is a recipe for having the same results Vanderbilt has on offense pretty consistently.

Then there is the recruiting a pro style qb issue. Nunez does it better than most, but we have no trouble at all finding guys who could run a spread. Guys like Josh Rosen or who you care to name are entirely something else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT