ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins the East this year?

Kirbster23

Nov 2, 2018
I know a lot of folks would say UGA because of the past 2 years but that's also why I don't have them winning the East this year since 2011 there has been a trend of teams winning the East 2 years in a row than someone else does it, is South Carolina possibly that team or is it Florida? Or Kentucky?

UGA. The only trend that matters is the recruiting ranking that UGA has had the past several years. Talent matters. Other teams are catching up, but still a few years away.

Reactions: rogue cock
If not UGA, then Florida. Still think UGA wins it though.

USC is still a couple of years away from even contending for it.

UGA by far the favorite with Florida behind them. Kentucky should have a challenge as they lost a ton of playmakers. Set a school record for players invited to the combine. As far as the 3rd best team in the East, I believe we are right there and knocking on 2nd with Florida. But they won a NYD Bowl. Our schedule all but kills us for being considered a favorite to win the East. Right now it’s UGA’s division to lose and I imagine they’ll be pretty focused after the letdown this season.

I have a feeling UF is going to be much improved this year and legitimately challenge UGA for the East.
UF and UGA at the top.

We may be better than UK and Mizzou, but I have a feeling we'll finish behind one of them.

Reactions: DrMickey
I have a feeling UF is going to be much improved this year and legitimately challenge UGA for the East.
UF and UGA at the top.

We may be better than UK and Mizzou, but I have a feeling we'll finish behind one of them.

Mizzou without Lock, they'll finish 5th-7th and I'm not sold on Bryant at QB. They don't have clemson's skill players nor their all-ultraverse D carrying the team.

UK loses everyone. Most importantly, they lose Snell. They will be back to a 5-7 win team.

We will be better with depth. Injury bug was the difference between a 9-10 win season for us this past season.

UF, I agree, will contend. But it's yet to be seen how much of an impact losing their DC will be.

Vandy is Vandy.

Tennessee could also be a surprise this year. But I don't think they're better than us, yet.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I know a lot of folks would say UGA because of the past 2 years but that's also why I don't have them winning the East this year since 2011 there has been a trend of teams winning the East 2 years in a row than someone else does it, is South Carolina possibly that team or is it Florida? Or Kentucky?
UGA, but I think they take a step back next year. If Kirby turns out to be HC material, their recruiting will have them challenging Bama yearly in a year or two. I'm not sold on Smart, though.

Mizzou without Lock, they'll finish 5th-7th and I'm not sold on Bryant at QB. They don't have clemson's skill players nor their all-ultraverse D carrying the team.

UK loses everyone. Most importantly, they lose Snell. They will be back to a 5-7 win team.

We will be better with depth. Injury bug was the difference between a 9-10 win season for us this past season.

UF, I agree, will contend. But it's yet to be seen how much of an impact losing their DC will be.

Vandy is Vandy.

Tennessee could also be a surprise this year. But I don't think they're better than us, yet.
Isn't Mizzou ineligible to go bowling next season also - or the next? It might mean they cave completely if things go south early. Anyhow, the East is going to Georgia or Florida; I think it will be Georgia.

Last edited:
Isn't Mizzou ineligible to go bowling next season also - or the next? It might mean they cave completely if things go south early.
Cases like this are extremely hard to predict. It can go the way you described or Mizzou burrows into the "us against the world" mentality and play beyond their expectations. Will be an interesting story as it develops.

Reactions: king ward
Cases like this are extremely hard to predict. It can go the way you described or Mizzou burrows into the "us against the world" mentality and play beyond their expectations. Will be an interesting story as it develops.
They lost the best QB in the league and I'm thinking Bryant is not a complete replacement. I actually feel bad that he had the cheese moved on him the way it was.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
look for Florida to make a big leap next year and challenge Georgia. Mullen is the real deal. At least Tennessee will still suck.

And Rockybottom is texting and calling their seniors......
If our scholarship picture allowed for it, I'd say we ought to be doing than same thing if any of them could help us. Missouri is who messed up. Now, they do have an appeal out there. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were they.

Georgia will be a near-unanimous pick to win it, I assume. Florida will rightfully get some votes too. Georgia is a Top 5 team with a legit shot at playoff and Florida is probably a Top 10 team with an outside shot at the playoff. Everyone else is a fringe Top 25 team next year I'd guess. Think Kentucky takes a pretty big step back this year.

FWIW - Below are the National Championship odds according to Bovada

Georgia: +1000
Florida: +6000
Missouri: +10000
Tennessee: +20000
South Carolina: +50000
Kentucky: +50000
Vanderbilt: +50000

Reactions: king ward
Georgia is a good bit better than anyone else in the east. I think 2nd place is a toss up bt us and Florida.

Mostly spot on, only 1 small change I would make. I would put UT in the pick 'em category. Anyone in there could be between 8-4 or 5-7 depending on a break good or bad.

You could be right, but I think that program has momentum. And a shot in the arm from a good recruiting class. And they beat Kentucky last year. And Kentucky loses some key players. And truth be told, they should probably have beaten USC . And USC has to go to Knoxville. I don't know what Mizzou brings. Don't hey get energized to prove a point because they aren't bowl eligible, or do they have halfway through the season?

...I don't know what Mizzou brings. Don't (t)hey get energized to prove a point because they aren't bowl eligible, or do they have halfway through the season?
They'll be saying that in the preseason. But once they get busted in the mouth, they'll fold like a cheap suit.

Georgia will be a near-unanimous pick to win it, I assume. Florida will rightfully get some votes too. Georgia is a Top 5 team with a legit shot at playoff and Florida is probably a Top 10 team with an outside shot at the playoff. Everyone else is a fringe Top 25 team next year I'd guess. Think Kentucky takes a pretty big step back this year.

FWIW - Below are the National Championship odds according to Bovada

Georgia: +1000
Florida: +6000
Missouri: +10000
Tennessee: +20000
South Carolina: +50000
Kentucky: +50000
Vanderbilt: +50000
So you’re saying there’s a chance?

Georgia is a good bit better than anyone else in the east. I think 2nd place is a toss up bt us and Florida.
Just curious what has you believing we are a toss up with Florida for second? Don't get me wrong that would be awesome but with that schedule and scoring 0 in the bowl I'm having trouble getting us to a bowl game. Let alone having a good season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT