ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you like to see as our new men's basketball coach?

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
I wonder if Gregg Marshall would give us a look since that POS Hyman passed on him?

Seems to be some good coaches in the state...I sure hope we don't miss another opportunity to look at the talented coaches available in state. hence Gregg Marshall...

Don't know anything about the Furman or Wofford coach since I live in Tennessee. The ETSU coach just signed a big extension to keep him here in Johnson City, so I don't think he would be an option.

Who do y'all think?

Reactions: FlotownRooster
G.M. ....

439.gif

G.M. is a little too old for the coach that I want to lead us into the future. I would love to have a good young up and coming coach that is currently a Head Coach or a young and up and coming Assistant Coach from the NBA.

But, regardless of who the future coach may be, if we try and get the VERY BEST coach we can get, we are going to have to pony up big time.

Top Choice, and has been for about 12-13 years now is the obvious...Gregg Marshall. But agree that will not happen.

I’d like to see how Mike Boynton does this year at OK State but that’s a better job than here at SC. He is paid the lowest salary in B12 though. Maybe he’ll at least get a raise out of it. But it sold that we’ll turn it around here under Boynton.

I have no idea who we should hire. We’ll probably end up with another recycled coach like Anthony Grant, or the flavor of the week in a Cinderella from March.

Hey, Tubby is coaching at High Point. He’s got a few years left and he’d get is respectable. Even if I’ve never wanted Tubby all those years he was rumored to be coming here. Wait, I still don’t. But I guess it could be worse.

It’ll be very difficult to lure a proven coach to come here.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Off the topic....but could someone explain to me why we so tersely dismissed Marshall both when we hired Horn and then when we hired Martin, other than he reminded Fogler too much of a Billy Donovan type. Personally never thought being compared to Donovan was a bad thing as far as winning was concerned.

Top Choice, and has been for about 12-13 years now is the obvious...Gregg Marshall. But agree that will not happen.

I’d like to see how Mike Boynton does this year at OK State but that’s a better job than here at SC. He is paid the lowest salary in B12 though. Maybe he’ll at least get a raise out of it. But it sold that we’ll turn it around here under Boynton.

I have no idea who we should hire. We’ll probably end up with another recycled coach like Anthony Grant, or the flavor of the week in a Cinderella from March.

Hey, Tubby is coaching at High Point. He’s got a few years left and he’d get is respectable. Even if I’ve never wanted Tubby all those years he was rumored to be coming here. Wait, I still don’t. But I guess it could be worse.

I would rank it between difficult and impossible.

Reactions: Carolina4
Off the topic....but could someone explain to me why we so tersely dismissed Marshall both when we hired Horn and then when we hired Martin, other than he reminded Fogler too much of a Billy Donovan type. Personally never thought being compared to Donovan was a bad thing as far as winning was concerned.
Good question. I remember on 107.5 they insinuated it was a personality conflict between Marshall and Hyman (or was it Fogler?). But yeah, the next Billy Donovan would have hardly been a bad thing.

Good question. I remember on 107.5 they insinuated it was a personality conflict between Marshall and Hyman (or was it Fogler?). But yeah, the next Billy Donovan would have hardly been a bad thing.
I do know that Gregg vehemently disagreed with Fogler's statement that you shouldn't expect more than one NCAA invitation every 4 years at Carolina. That expectation really bothered him.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
GM makes a little over $3.5m a year at Witchita but bball is their bread and butter. That is over $1m more than FM makes. Champ makes about $600k more than GM. I highly doubt the board will approve $3.5+ just to match GM salary. Plus he has professed he loves it there and would be happy to retire but have heard that song from coaches before. No way the $$ is there for that hire.

I wonder if Gregg Marshall would give us a look since that POS Hyman passed on him?

Seems to be some good coaches in the state...I sure hope we don't miss another opportunity to look at the talented coaches available in state. hence Gregg Marshall...

Don't know anything about the Furman or Wofford coach since I live in Tennessee. The ETSU coach just signed a big extension to keep him here in Johnson City, so I don't think he would be an option.

Who do y'all think?

We won’t get a proven winner like Marshall. Tanner will have to hire a firm to do his job again

I am not a sports administrator for sure, but I will always be a DIE HARD Gamecock alumnus and fan until the day I die. What I have noticed with Tanner's hire in football and basketball is that he seems to focus on up and comers or someone with a chip on his shoulder. I have no idea if that works out in the long term. I do think he looked bad when he hired Muschamp because he had such a big head start the year Spurrier quit in the middle of the season. It came across as hiring the third choice but that is just me

PS: I am SO OVER Frank Martin, his in the players face bull shit and not being able to capitalize on a final four run is such a downer. The more I think about it, Frank Martin and Will Muschamp should both sit down with Dawn Staley in how to recruit 4 to 5 star talent

USCALUMNI

I am not a sports administrator for sure, but I will always be a DIE HARD Gamecock alumnus and fan until the day I die. What I have noticed with Tanner's hire in football and basketball is that he seems to focus on up and comers or someone with a chip on his shoulder. I have no idea if that works out in the long term. I do think he looked bad when he hired Muschamp because he had such a big head start the year Spurrier quit in the middle of the season. It came across as hiring the third choice but that is just me

PS: I am SO OVER Frank Martin, his in the players face bull shit and not being able to capitalize on a final four run is such a downer. The more I think about it, Frank Martin and Will Muschamp should both sit down with Dawn Staley in how to recruit 4 to 5 star talent

USCALUMNI

Frank needs to sit down with Dawn Staley and learn how to talk to our fans.

Y'all think Tanner can pull off hiring a good basketball coach?

Wow.
No. Neither he nor the BOT will be willing to pay what it takes to get a great MBB coach at USC. Have not had a winner at that position since FM1. I know..I know.. the final four but he has done zero with that finish. Hope he resigns.
Don't feel as if the athletic dept is in good hands. Why should they bust their asses? USC is in the top twenty as far as funding goes. What's the problem? I don't see no stinking problem. Don't rock the boat. Most GC fans are suckers for-he just needs more time.
Hope Ray is not lazy and is focused on what needs to be done to make a top twenty school, as far as resources go, into a top twenty school in all sports.

Y'all think Tanner can pull off hiring a good basketball coach?

Wow.

sure he can. I have no idea why some of our fans are so tough on Tanner. He makes the right calls most of the time. How he handles Frank will influence how other coaches perceive our program. He has to hire a bright young talented coach. Shelling out 4-5 million per year for a name would be a huge mistake. Fans want a winning press conference. I want a winning coach with A glorious future at South Carolina ahead of him. We don't need some tired old geezer with a big name and war chest of credibility. Need a young gun that's hungry for it all. Some one that can bring in great players each year.

Reactions: Carolina4

USCALUMNI

Tanner has not hired a basketball coach. Both Dawn and Martin were hired by Hyman

Hurley will likely eventually be Coach K's replacement at Duke. Coach K is like 72 with very bad back issues so don't expect him to be there much longer. Hurley would bolt in a second if that job ever opened up and I couldn't blame him.

GM makes a little over $3.5m a year at Witchita but bball is their bread and butter. That is over $1m more than FM makes. Champ makes about $600k more than GM. I highly doubt the board will approve $3.5+ just to match GM salary. Plus he has professed he loves it there and would be happy to retire but have heard that song from coaches before. No way the $$ is there for that hire.
Plus we are going to have to cough up some money to keep Dawn.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

I am guessing the Boynton hire reeks of Eddie Fogler, Inc. Hope it works out for Mike, though. Would be good for us sometime in the future.

Reactions: ddw1263
If I were AD I would throw big bucks at Geno UConn and pitch new challenge. That hire would create a lot of publicity and help Dawn out too.

To be fair, I don't see how anyone can blame Tanner for current state of the b-ball program. He didn't hire Martin. He gave Martin a chance to build the program, which culminated in a Final Four. So far so good. Last year was disappointing but you can't fire a coach 1 season removed from a Final Four run. How he handles this season and what happens going forward will be his first big test regarding what to do with the hoops program.

If I were AD I would throw big bucks at Geno UConn and pitch new challenge. That hire would create a lot of publicity and help Dawn out too.

Geno is old. No way he wants to dive into the muck and mire of men's basketball recruiting!

To be fair, I don't see how anyone can blame Tanner for current state of the b-ball program. He didn't hire Martin. He gave Martin a chance to build the program, which culminated in a Final Four. So far so good. Last year was disappointing but you can't fire a coach 1 season removed from a Final Four run. How he handles this season and what happens going forward will be his first big test regarding what to do with the hoops program.

Wow! A rational Gamecock fan. We're almost extinct!

There may be better coaches available out there but, my personal opinion, as to the only possible consideration to turn around and save the MBB program, is Michael Boynton.

After an almost comedic carousel of various failures to lead the men's basketball program, our only chance to ever return to respectability is a young, up and coming homer, who not only might stay here until hell freezes over but, could give, at least, some tie-in with a successful history at Carolina. It could be like family, again.

Bring Michael home!

Reactions: funktavious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT