ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa....LSU offer to Lincoln Riley makes Tucker's MSU offer look like chump change.

I have never understood standing behind a stagnant coach or a new one that is not improving. If you higher a new coach and in 2 years you don’t see improvement it’s time to move on. Waiting an entire recruiting cycle has never made since to me.

How so would that be stupid to get rid of dabo? He has shown a disregard for moving the way college football is moving. I believe the transfer portal is super important and so is over signing. So far he has pushed back on both. The turnover rate for players is going to increase rapidly. Better to go along with the change than fight it. In 4 years if Dabo is still not willing to change and stays stagnant, he doesn’t deserve to be fired? Just because he won 2 NC Clemson should have to pay him for a result they are not getting? How does that make sense?

So, you're saying that Clemson should fire Dabo this year b/c of one poor season, in spite of having made the playoffs every year since its inception and winning 2 titles?

So, you're saying that Clemson should fire Dabo this year b/c of one poor season, in spite of having made the playoffs every year since its inception and winning 2 titles?

To be fair, he said after a few years if it continues.

As for coach O, I think that firing is easier to defend. I think a lot of people (myself included) don't really think he deserves the lions share of the credit for that title.

I have never understood standing behind a stagnant coach or a new one that is not improving. If you higher a new coach and in 2 years you don’t see improvement it’s time to move on. Waiting an entire recruiting cycle has never made since to me.

How so would that be stupid to get rid of dabo? He has shown a disregard for moving the way college football is moving. I believe the transfer portal is super important and so is over signing. So far he has pushed back on both. The turnover rate for players is going to increase rapidly. Better to go along with the change than fight it. In 4 years if Dabo is still not willing to change and stays stagnant, he doesn’t deserve to be fired? Just because he won 2 NC Clemson should have to pay him for a result they are not getting? How does that make sense?
If, after a full recruiting cycle Dabo is still not conforming and Clemson is struggling record wise, then yes, firing would be conceivable.

An earned scholarship is not payment. There are thousands of students at UofSC on scholarship. Most are not athletes.

All grossly overpaid.

By what measure?

Football coaches market schools. The schools make millions more in revenue.

Movie stars sell movie tickets, and now streaming services. The revenue earned exceeds their compensation.

Super models influence purchases. Those purchases also exceed the amount paid to the models.

So, how exactly are they grossly overpaid?

No I think I’m my explanation I gave him 3-4. I will turn it around on you, how long should he get?

To be fair, he said after a few years if it continues.

As for coach O, I think that firing is easier to defend. I think a lot of people (myself included) don't really think he deserves the lions share of the credit for that title.

I agree with this 100%. He had the right staff and players at the right time. I think he knows it to.

Reactions: chief2791
Insane is an understatement. There are so many better uses in the world for most of that money. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
The Kardashians make millions of dollars off of their fame, just being paid to mention a purse, cologne, or some gizmo. There are better uses in my opinion, but not so much that of whoever is paying them.

Kim Kardashian/Net worth
1.4 billion USD

Who is the richest Kardashian? As of July 2021, it's Kim with a cool $1.4 billion to her name. She's followed by youngest sis Kylie with $700 million, but then it's a big step down to the rest of their relatives.

Money does not make one wiser.

With the big contract, comes high expectations. Expect the wolves to be snapping at your heels the first time you hit a valley.

Reactions: caughtlookin
If a certain AD was a little more forward thinking, a certain near and dear school might have had Riley for a lot less money.
This makes my jaw tighten.😊 RT had a choice between two sure winners-Mack and Lincoln-so what does he do? He goes with a surefire loser. WTH was in that thought process? RT hasn't earned the big bucks his job pays. As a matter of fact he should be unemployed.

LSU's full court press on Lincoln displays what a winning school does to be a winner. As opposed to the USC management which goes on the cheap side and insults the best fans in CFB.

Insane is an understatement. There are so many better uses in the world for most of that money. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
You must be a politician. They have the same philosophy that you have when it comes to 'spending other peoples' money'.

Who on our team does?
As of an NCAA ruling in 2015, the players not only receive a full scholarship, but they also receive a monthly stipend to offset other expenses related to their education. Our's were receiving over $4200 per year, and that was 6 years ago. It is much higher now. By contrast, Clemson's stipend was $3900 per year.

As of an NCAA ruling in 2015, the players not only receive a full scholarship, but they also receive a monthly stipend to offset other expenses related to their education. Our's were receiving over $4200 per year, and that was 6 years ago. It is much higher now. By contrast, Clemson's stipend was $3900 per year.
Good information.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Football players on scholarship are part of the very large group of students at UofSC that receive scholarship funds as well as some have living stipends that come with them. This is not unique to the football team. What is unique to Gamecock football players is that they are the actual product that according to recent figures produces over $100 million in revenue.

This makes my jaw tighten.😊 RT had a choice between two sure winners-Mack and Lincoln-so what does he do? He goes with a surefire loser. WTH was in that thought process? RT hasn't earned the big bucks his job pays. As a matter of fact he should be unemployed.

LSU's full court press on Lincoln displays what a winning school does to be a winner. As opposed to the USC management which goes on the cheap side and insults the best fans in CFB.
You’re right about one thing - RT made a huge mistake hiring Muschamp. But just because Riley has done well at a traditional power like OU doesn’t necessarily mean he’d even have a winning team at USC.

You’re right about one thing - RT made a huge mistake hiring Muschamp. But just because Riley has done well at a traditional power like OU doesn’t necessarily mean he’d even have a winning team at USC.

But we would have undoubtedly had a fun offense to watch while he was here.

I think I would feel a lot different about Beamer if we ran a somewhat decent Lincoln Riley based offense.

The American dream is not one of unbridled opulence. The rate at which college coaching salaries is increasing is not sustainable. These coaching salaries are doing harm to the game.
I don't think people in this thread grasp a couple of things. #1 LSU is not giving $12m a year potentially to Riley, LSU's boosters will be paying down that contract. What we are seeing here is the power of booster clubs. #2 no need to complain about what Riley stands too make, I'd rather the coaches and players make that money than the corporate execs at ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc.... The people who actually play and coach the game are the reason major college football is the financial titan it is. If USC really wanted to compete with the big boys, our booster club would have to increase its expectations of the donations. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, the financial power behind booster clubs is the alumni obviously but it's also the degree they hold from the institution. The power behind the degree is the name of the university on it. That increases salaries which directly affects the amounts of the donations to the booster club.

There has got to be a better way to spend $12M per year than on a coach in the NIL age. Maybe give boosters a discount on pledges if they give a certain amount to an approved NIL trust or something? How many more wins is Riley going to get versus a guy with half the salary? Quite possibly zero. I’d rather get (more) cash to players any way possible. Look at the NFL. The coaches don’t make more than the stars, much less 10,000% more.

Reactions: uscwatson21
There has got to be a better way to spend $12M per year than on a coach in the NIL age. Maybe give boosters a discount on pledges if they give a certain amount to an approved NIL trust or something? How many more wins is Riley going to get versus a guy with half the salary? Quite possibly zero. I’d rather get (more) cash to players any way possible. Look at the NFL. The coaches don’t make more than the stars, much less 10,000% more.
It's going to take time but this is the inevitable shift.

You're better off giving money to the garnet trust than to the gamecock club now if you want to actually win.

The LSU AD is the same AD that hired Jimbo at A&M. Jimbo gets $75 million over ten years. If he leaves to take another job, he owes A&M nothing, and if they fire him, they pay the whole $75 million. I wonder if Lincoln’s will be similar?

Blows my mind his contract is fully guaranteed but he can leave for a mere 2.5 million next year

Blows my mind his contract is fully guaranteed but he can leave for a mere 2.5 million next year
Very one-sided, but I guess they're desperate to get something on paper - for recruiting, etc. The odds of this guy being the kind of generational coach that warrants this kind of long-term commitment from a school are going to be miniscule. That said, if Beamer breaks through, we'll be looking to do something similar with him in a year or two, for better or for worse.

Very one-sided, but I guess they're desperate to get something on paper - for recruiting, etc. The odds of this guy being the kind of generational coach that warrants this kind of long-term commitment from a school are going to be miniscule. That said, if Beamer breaks through, we'll be looking to do something similar with him in a year or two, for better or for worse.
That’s what’s inevitably going to happen. We are going to end up giving him a big extension for a 6-6 season.

Well, I hope Shane is a good enuff coach to warrant that. He has taken a Mushchamp depleted team and done wonders. It just shows what a sorry coach Beergut was.

Will be illuminating to see what he does at end of season about offensive problems. If he takes the right steps-WATCH OUT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT