ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we not play Ga Tech more often?

DetroitCock

Aug 28, 2013

Would be a better filler for the schedule than Eastern and Western Carolina, I think we can all agree (unless you are of the Notre Dame mindset when it comes to scheduling). We are so close, we should play them more often. Would be a great home and home "other" rivalry.

Their cut blocks scare me. OOC games are not intended to ruin careers. jmo

Hate to break it to you, but many teams utilize cut blocking. GT is far from the only team to use them. Its as much a part of football as tackling.

Hate to break it to you, but many teams utilize cut blocking. GT is far from the only team to use them. Its as much a part of football as tackling.

Yes, but they are so damn good at it, BUT I hear that The Citadel is even better. Just ask Florida State. Oops! We play the Blue Dogs this year!

We don't recruit the same type of player GT usually goes after, offense especially. I know we recruit Atlanta like it's going out of style but I don't see much reason to play them. Playing UGA helps our recruiting more in GA than playing Tech would I'd think.

Hell no. I'd be fine with never playing GT ever. It's a gimmic offense that's extremely tough to stop when they have a good qb. So you have to spend so much time preparing for a type of offense you won't play again, and if you win, oh well you beat a middle of the pack team (usually) and if you lose, you've just lost to a middle of the pack acc team. We already recruit Atlanta well enough without playing them

We play Clemson every year and usually 1 other ACC team, often from the state of NC ... that's probably enough ACC teams. I'd rather work-in Duke or Va Tech than Ga Tech and see us maybe play them in the very early season Chik-Fil-a game in Atlanta that pits SEC vs. ACC 1st game. This year it's Lousiville (unranked) vs. Auburn (#6). It's usually a good TV game - CBS carries it nationally. I don't think GaTech would want to 'move' a 'regular season' game from Grant Field to the GA Dome (and split revenue) nor would many people want to 'gift' basically a home game to Ga Tech on what's suppose to be a neutral field.

Gotta. hand it to Western Carolina. They've recently scheduled UT, aTm and South Carolina from the SEC and are looking for more. We played 'em 4-years in a row before joining the SEC ... the closest game was 42-24 - we've 4-0 vs. them. We've always play here due to seats/revenue. The '16 game is a 1-year deal.

I would love to see a USC(W) Vs USC(E) rivalry with the USC logo and brand rights at stake. I know they are to far for us to play but it would be a great yearly rivalry game.

Reactions: tigerRob1981
I'm just wondering why we don't play them more often. I was talking with my uncle over the weekend and apparently we had a few good games against them back in the late 80's. He said they were some of the best games (experience wise) he had ever attended. Kind of odd we are so close yet don't play them much in any sport.

I'd rather us not have to go against that offensive line every year. I would love to see us utilize the first game of the year as an easy OOC and then we go somewhere like the big 12 or somewhere and play a home and home series with a few teams that we don't ever play. Similar to the Tenn vs Oregon games.

Would be a better filler for the schedule than Eastern and Western Carolina, I think we can all agree (unless you are of the Notre Dame mindset when it comes to scheduling). We are so close, we should play them more often. Would be a great home and home "other" rivalry.

We already play UGA. You often would like to play someone from the power 5 for recruiting purposes. Since we play in Georgia already every other year, we stand nothing to gain. The Western Carolina is just a filler game. If we were going to play someone from a Power 5 Conference, it should UNC, NC State, UVa, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Penn St, even playing ECU helps us in eastern NC.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I have no interest in playing Wofford with talent for a one-off game.

I wouldn't mind playing them in a bowl game. I will never forget how we got smoked in 1988 34-0 when we went into ATL 6-0 and ranked #8. We played them every year from '88-'91 but joining the SEC obviated the need to play them since we play the Dawgs every year to get our recruiting foot in the door in Georgia. If we are going to play a 2nd ACC school I would prefer that we periodically rotate through home-and-home or one-off neutral site games with UNCheat, State, UVa, VT and possibly Pitt given the number of recruits that come out of PA.

I also don't think the original premise of this post, which compares GT to ECU or Western Carolina is apt at all, especially since they won the Orange Bowl last year and we were lucky to even make the Uncle Si Showdown in Shreveport. I did note that we cancelled a home-and-home with them a few years back that would've taken place in 2021-2022:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/05/...cancel-2021-22-home-and-home-football-series/

I wouldn't mind playing them in a bowl game. I will never forget how we got smoked in 1988 34-0 when we went into ATL 6-0 and ranked #8. We played them every year from '88-'91 but joining the SEC obviated the need to play them since we play the Dawgs every year to get our recruiting foot in the door in Georgia. If we are going to play a 2nd ACC school I would prefer that we periodically rotate through home-and-home or one-off neutral site games with UNCheat, State, UVa, VT and possibly Pitt given the number of recruits that come out of PA.

I also don't think the original premise of this post, which compares GT to ECU or Western Carolina is apt at all, especially since they won the Orange Bowl last year and we were lucky to even make the Uncle Si Showdown in Shreveport. I did note that we cancelled a home-and-home with them a few years back that would've taken place in 2021-2022:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/05/...cancel-2021-22-home-and-home-football-series/

We got smoked because our AD and Administration - in their 'infinite wisdom' - decided it was a 'good idea' to break the news to the team of the SI steroid thing - the night before the game! Brilliant - really brilliant!

We got smoked because our AD and Administration - in their 'infinite wisdom' - decided it was a 'good idea' to break the news to the team of the SI steroid thing - the night before the game! Brilliant - really brilliant!

And then the coaches and players went out drinking to the wee hours of the morning.

I'm not against creating new rivalries (or bringing back old ones), but Georgia Tech doesn't offer us much. We already recruit very well in Georgia and play UGA every year. Combine that with having to develop a unique gameplan against their offense and it really doesn't make much sense. We wouldn't gain much if we won.

I like the USC vs USC matchup. Would be a fun game for sure and would get a lot of exposure, not only in the southeast, but also nationally. The risk of course is taking an already tough schedule and making it even tougher.

It seems like we have been snagging a guy out of the Northeast the last few years on each recruiting cycle...would it ever be a good idea to play a Penn St., Rutgers, Pitt, Maryland, or Boston College type team? Mainly for exposure.

I just wonder with TV if all that really matters as much these days

Don't like the playing GT idea at all for reasons others have mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure that Ga Tech would be interested because we'd fill up their high school stadium for them when we had to go there. But what do they offer? Answer: nothing.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
GA Tech would kill us. Did you see how many rushing yards they put up against Georgia last November?

There are so few option teams that it's almost impossible to prepare for.

If I were to schedule them it would be game 1, not later in the year.

I'd say GATech beats Clemmers this year by 14 or more.

I would put Wake Forest on our schedule every year .

They will likely NEVER play us again because of 'The Great Fan Invasion' of 1987, when thousands of Gamecock fans packed WF's stadium in Winston-Salem. We were so loud, often Wake's qb had to ask the refs to silence the Garnet Horde - which they wouldn't/couldn't do.

After the game, Wake officials said we had ruined their recruiting for the year - they had their largest group of visiting prospects for our game - a really dumb move on their part. Wake swore they would never play us again in football.

They will likely NEVER play us again because of 'The Great Fan Invasion' of 1987, when thousands of Gamecock fans packed WF's stadium in Winston-Salem. We were so loud, often Wake's qb had to ask the refs to silence the Garnet Horde - which they wouldn't/couldn't do.

After the game, Wake officials said we had ruined their recruiting for the year - they had their largest group of visiting prospects for our game - a really dumb move on their part. Wake swore they would never play us again in football.

I was at that game; there was a great turnout of Gamecock fans. If they don't want visiting hordes they need to sell their own tickets.

Again, I don't care about recruiting.

I have just heard from people older than I that it made for a great game.

As a team, I wouldn't want to play them simply based off of their last game where they beat the pants off of Miss State. I, like many I'm sure wrote in MSU to win that game. Boy was I wrong. Paul Johnson has done a solid job, they are a well coached squad and they (usually) play smart. I agree the recruiting boost would be nill and that we wouldn't get much credit for beating them, as they are seemingly over looked every year yet they have won a title as recently as the early 90's.

Also, I agree with the previous post, I think Clemson loses by at least two TDs to Tech this year. I think they thump UGA again, too.

And then the coaches and players went out drinking to the wee hours of the morning.

Wow, I didn't know that. Of course I was only 7 at the time so while I subsequently learned about the steroid scandal I guess my old man thought I was too little to really know why we got taken behind the woodshed that day. I vividly remember how upset I was as a little kid hearing that score. You learn something new every day!

Don't like the playing GT idea at all for reasons others have mentioned above.
Think Wofford and Navy. Now think of those two with actual talent. While we are at it, why not just load up each year with the nation's toughest schedule.

As far as the Trojans are concerned, I want us to play them in a NC game. All that tradition, all that talent and certainly an elite historical program top to bottom. I would want to have 1 stipulation. Whoever wins the game, is referred to as the REAL USC. I'm sick and tired of playing second fiddle to those clowns. They have no respect for us, but who cares? They are a bunch of cheaters. Losers, if you will. South Carolina is THE USC!

Except, of course, we played UGA regularly on the gridiron before joining the SEC.

Living in Atlanta, it would be convenient to attend events on the Tech campus. At this rate, I'd be happy to see Chad schedule them in baseball. Russ Chandler Stadium is a 20 minute drive from my house.

The Bees did have a three-game football series with their old rival Allbarn several years ago - one game at Jordan Haire, one at Grant Field, and one at the Georgia dome. The Dome is a 90 minute drive from Auburn.

We have always struggled against wofford. So imagine wofford's offense with better athletes. No thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT