ADVERTISEMENT

Why do yall care if we lose a midweek game here and there?

TheRoosterGuru

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2009
They're pretty exhibition games to tune up the team for the weekend series. They really have no affect on anything.

Say that to Florida and Florida St. They play their 3 game series midweek over a period of a few weeks.

Midweek losses can also affect the pist season as we've learned a few seasons ago.

If we take care of business in SEC play that is the important thing. Do some of you know how hard it is to win 10 games in a row?

Didn't we lose to Furman BOTH years we won the CWS? I mean, it happens. It's baseball.

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:
Say that to Florida and Florida St. They play their 3 game series midweek over a period of a few weeks.

Midweek losses can also affect the post season as we've learned a few seasons ago.
Same with Georgia and Georgia Tech. Three midweek games. One at home, one in the opposition's park, and one on a neutral field. Turner Field for GT/UGA, and the Baseball Grounds in Jax for FSU/UF.

Indeed, while the midweek games are not as important as the SEC weekend series, you cannot completely discount them.

Originally posted by AgnosticTrollCock:

Midweek losses can also affect the pist season as we've learned a few seasons ago.
THAT IS A RIVALRY SERIES.

It's not hard to understand bro.

Originally posted by Cock-Vader:
Didn't we lose to Furman BOTH years we won the CWS? I mean, it happens. It's baseball.
I think we were undefeated in midweek games in 2011. But that's just a side note, you're exactly right. Baseball is a weird game. We lost to damn Francis Marion in 2012, a year we made it to the CWS Finals

EDIT- we were undefeated in midweek games in 2010, not 2011. We lost to Furman and Citadel in 2011.
This post was edited on 3/18 12:38 PM by jon#

As long as we don't lose too many, it's not that big of a deal. Especially if it is against a decent team like Winthrop. The reason it does matter is that it is very important for fans for the opportunity to host a Super Regional. These kinds of loses add up and make if difficult for that to happen.

Anything can happen in baseball, but why would you not get upset? Don't you want to win every game? Heck, I don't want to lose to a green light turning red.

Originally posted by permacock70:
You are trying to get to 40 or more wins. Every game is important!
But see, I think our team TRIED to win it but the other team scored more runs. I don't want to scare you but it will probably happen again before the season is over.

Our state is loaded with good baseball teams. Losing to teams like Furman, Wofford or Winthrop is never a good thing, but when you play enough games against these teams you are bound to lose one of them. These teams are a lot more competitive in baseball on a national level than in football or basketball. Plus, it's baseball and anything can happen in baseball if you play enough games.

I would not get overly concerned about one loss to one of these teams. If this is our only mid-week loss for the year, then no worries. Losing the series to Clemson is a bigger reason to be upset (and I think we all have been pretty upset about that loss!).

Originally posted by gamecockjosh:

Our state is loaded with good baseball teams. Losing to teams like Furman, Wofford or Winthrop is never a good thing, but when you play enough games against these teams you are bound to lose one of them. These teams are a lot more competitive in baseball on a national level than in football or basketball. Plus, it's baseball and anything can happen in baseball if you play enough games.

I would not get overly concerned about one loss to one of these teams. If this is our only mid-week loss for the year, then no worries. Losing the series to Clemson is a bigger reason to be upset (and I think we all have been pretty upset about that loss!).
Exactly. We lost the first game of the season to CoC... if it had been a midweek game would it have been more of a problem or less? It would be exactly the same thing - one loss. The difference is we don't focus on that game because we took 2 of 3 from them.

Agree Oma- roll it out why wouldn't you want to win? Too many of those hiccups have you going to Charlottesville for a Super instead of hosting.

Exactly, it is baseball. The better team doesn't always win. Contact isn't made, the other team catches a break or two, it happens. You can tell who are the true baseball fans here and who just watch because we're good at it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT