ADVERTISEMENT

Why have we sunk in the US News & World Report Rankings?

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
We're behind:
Vandy
UF
UGA
A&M
Auburn
UT
Carolina......

I remember in past polls that we we're fourth....A&M came to the SEC and we we're fifth...

Being behind UT and Auburn is BULLSHIT....

I'm wondering does a strong President has something to do with the rankings...

Why are we not in the AAU? We are ranked ahead of Univ ofOregon, Univ of Kansas and Iowa State.

I think being the AAU would help as well....UGA, UF, Vandy, & A&M are in, why not us?

FSU has improved since they joined the ACC...they were ranked below us for years, now they are up there with Clemson and NCSU...hum...

AAU membership consists of prestigious research universities. We ain't one. When your president can't remember the school's name (for whatever reason) and plagiarizes his speeches, you don't expect to shoot up the rankings. It will be interesting to see if we can attract a quality provost (a very big issue for AAU) and president. Right now, we are a rudderless ship. The only discernible strategy we have heard is to get bigger. Mo students = mo money, right? Not sure I see any plan for us to get better.

We're behind:

Why are we not in the AAU? We are ranked ahead of Univ ofOregon, Univ of Kansas and Iowa State.

I think being the AAU would help as well....UGA, UF, Vandy, & A&M are in, why not us?

FSU has improved since they joined the ACC...they were ranked below us for years, now they are up there with Clemson and NCSU...hum...
Because we have not received an invitation.

AAU membership consists of prestigious research universities. We ain't one. When your president can't remember the school's name (for whatever reason) and plagiarizes his speeches, you don't expect to shoot up the rankings. It will be interesting to see if we can attract a quality provost (a very big issue for AAU) and president. Right now, we are a rudderless ship. The only discernible strategy we have heard is to get bigger. Mo students = mo money, right? Not sure I see any plan for us to get better.
We were non-starters way before Caslen, as you very well know.

We're behind:
Vandy
UF
UGA
A&M
Auburn
UT
Carolina......

I remember in past polls that we we're fourth....A&M came to the SEC and we we're fifth...

Rave on if you wish, but Miss Darla pulled a big hissy-fit for reasons other than the rude, crude and political acts of the USC Prez (at that time) and several BOT members re: the loss of her mother.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
When asked about its drop in the rankings, USC sent a statement that did not address what could have led to the falloff.

“Today’s (U.S. News) rankings are indicative of the momentum we continue to see at our university,” USC said in its statement. “Among the 3,982 degree-granting postsecondary institutions in the U.S., our rankings are strong.”

Unbelievable. This is indicative of our momentum alright.

The International Business School is still number 1. We should publicize that better.
Great school. Took some classes from professors who started it way back when.

But, due to it’s limited size and highly specialized niche; it has about as much impact on the overall University academic profile as equestrian does for the Athletic Department.

I’m an Alumnus and these rankings are largely irrelevant. No legitimate hiring manager is hiring applicant A over applicant B because Applicant A’s school is ranked 15 spots higher.

I’ll have to disagree on this. No I’m not saying 15 spots matters but the prestigiousness of the school your diploma comes from matters. Especially when being compared to other candidates from other schools.

AAU membership consists of prestigious research universities. We ain't one.
We aren't AAU but this makes it sound like we're not even in the same universe. This is a Carnegie 1 research institution with faculty pulling in $$$ research grants. If USC wanted to make a big push towards AAU they could do it.

We're behind:
Vandy
UF
UGA
A&M
Auburn
UT
Carolina......

I'll give you Auburn and Tennessee but you're always gonna have a bad time as a Carolina person if you try to compare to ATM ($13.5 billion endowment, mercy) or Florida (~$2 billion endowment...actually not as high as I was expecting.)

Still, Carolina (and Clemson) is still working on our first billion in the endowment.

Reactions: uscwatson21
You would be surprised how many of these "rankings" "best of," and "spotlight" articles are quietly based on contributions and other revenue generating methodologies. A basic example: the more you advertise, the higher your ranking.

I worked with the publication industry for a short time and this was the norm. Partial legitimacy to keep it within the lines, but ALOT of gaming for profit as well.

I’ll have to disagree on this. No I’m not saying 15 spots matters but the prestigiousness of the school your diploma comes from matters. Especially when being compared to other candidates from other schools.
To an extent, yes. As a younger millennial, all throughout high school thru young adulthood I heard mixed reviews from employers that either the prestige of where you went played an important part in getting hired, or your work ethic and attitude played a bigger part. Of course, I'm sure that varies depending on your degree.

I'll give you Auburn and Tennessee but you're always gonna have a bad time as a Carolina person if you try to compare to ATM ($13.5 billion endowment, mercy) or Florida (~$2 billion endowment...actually not as high as I was expecting.)

Still, Carolina (and Clemson) is still working on our first billion in the endowment.
I've always maintained that we are poorer as an institution than people think - in every aspect. It ain't all about state funding, either. That's not how endowments are built.

Come to Carolina, apply yourself, you will get a better education than a kid BS-ing their way through Harvard. The best gym in the world ain't gonna do you any good if you don't work out.

I've always maintained that we are poorer as an institution than people think - in every aspect. It ain't all about state funding, either. That's not how endowments are built.

That's unfortnate as endowment portfolios from the best/weathiest institutions {Harvard, Stanford, etc.) in the country have been published online for years.

It's literally copy and paste for these "investment advisors" and endowment managers if they have half a clue.

Then why haven't they done it?
Everyone's top priority is not to be the best research university. Some are more focused on undergrad stuff. Some are more focused on athletics. Etc. I'm not implying that we're a shoo-in for AAU right now as things stand. I was just saying we're not so far off that if that became the #1 unifying mission of the university we could push for it.

Chance we wouldn't get it anyway, as "AAU" is a prestigious name that carries some politics. Some may not want to confer it on the University of South Carolina.

It's not an end-all be-all -- just means you have prestigious faculty and good financial resources. Says nothing about the quality of education an average undergrad would receive. Most undergrads would never work with those profs at the top garnering all the rankings.

Reactions: redrogers
Everyone's top priority is not to be the best research university. Some are more focused on undergrad stuff. Some are more focused on athletics. Etc. I'm not implying that we're a shoo-in for AAU right now as things stand. I was just saying we're not so far off that if that became the #1 unifying mission of the university we could push for it.

Chance we wouldn't get it anyway, as "AAU" is a prestigious name that carries some politics. Some may not want to confer it on the University of South Carolina.

It's not an end-all be-all -- just means you have prestigious faculty and good financial resources. Says nothing about the quality of education an average undergrad would receive. Most undergrads would never work with those profs at the top garnering all the rankings.
Ok, you make a compelling case for not worrying about it, then. When you put your post 20 and 29 together, they add up to the school itself really not caring about rankings or the AAU specifically.

Last edited:
I’ve given an endowment and I think it has be mismanaged. It has lost money every year. High management fee. Don’t invest in conservative investments. Never has been paid to a student (due to endowment conditions.)

Reactions: bcs bound
I’ve given an endowment and I think it has be mismanaged. It has lost money every year. High management fee. Don’t invest in conservative investments. Never has been paid to a student (due to endowment conditions.)
Many university endowments have lost money recently because they became woke and liquidated their holdings of fossil fuel companies and then purchased alternative energy companies. Of course their wokeness created buying opportunities for people like me. China, India, and Russia have been buying oil, natural gas, and coal from U.S. companies like never before. For example, the spot price of coal and natural gas are up three-fold since a year ago. My investments in U.S coal producers have quadrupled since the 2016 election.

Of course, you’re a Clemson fan so you want to believe there is a drastic difference between our two schools.
First of all you can say I’m a Clemson fan but it doesn’t change where my money goes. Nor do I care who you think I pull for. Anyone who isn’t blindly a gamecock and everything is roses I guess is a Clemson fan oh well. Now on to my point.

I wasn’t even talking about Clemson. The poster stated that people hiring don’t pay attention to where the degree comes from and that is just not true. A student coming out of USC business school is going to be more highly regarded than one out of Clemson. Just like a a student coming out of Vanderbilt to be a doctor is going to be more highly regarded than USC.

First of all you can say I’m a Clemson fan but it doesn’t change where my money goes. Nor do I care who you think I pull for. Anyone who isn’t blindly a gamecock and everything is roses I guess is a Clemson fan oh well. Now on to my point.

I wasn’t even talking about Clemson. The poster stated that people hiring don’t pay attention to where the degree comes from and that is just not true. A student coming out of USC business school is going to be more highly regarded than one out of Clemson. Just like a a student coming out of Vanderbilt to be a doctor is going to be more highly regarded than USC.
Not that USC Medicine can be compared to Vanderbilt or Harvard, but the school is ranked #1 in the nation for graduates in primary care in underserved areas.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT