ADVERTISEMENT

Why have we sunk in the US News & World Report Rankings?

First of all you can say I’m a Clemson fan but it doesn’t change where my money goes. Nor do I care who you think I pull for. Anyone who isn’t blindly a gamecock and everything is roses I guess is a Clemson fan oh well. Now on to my point.

I wasn’t even talking about Clemson. The poster stated that people hiring don’t pay attention to where the degree comes from and that is just not true. A student coming out of USC business school is going to be more highly regarded than one out of Clemson. Just like a a student coming out of Vanderbilt to be a doctor is going to be more highly regarded than USC.
We need more people who are "blindly a Gamecock." Too many of our fans think they can pick and choose and dictate. Get behind the Block C and shut up

Reactions: redrogers
We need more people who are "blindly a Gamecock." Too many of our fans think they can pick and choose and dictate. Get behind the Block C and shut up

No I will choose to have my opinion and be a realist. You are well within your right to have your opinion as well.

Everyone's top priority is not to be the best research university. Some are more focused on undergrad stuff. Some are more focused on athletics. Etc. I'm not implying that we're a shoo-in for AAU right now as things stand. I was just saying we're not so far off that if that became the #1 unifying mission of the university we could push for it.

Chance we wouldn't get it anyway, as "AAU" is a prestigious name that carries some politics. Some may not want to confer it on the University of South Carolina.

It's not an end-all be-all -- just means you have prestigious faculty and good financial resources. Says nothing about the quality of education an average undergrad would receive. Most undergrads would never work with those profs at the top garnering all the rankings.
Really?

West Virginia University has an open enrollment. They are ranked lower than most schools in America. Is it any wonder why, when they want to be in the ACC or SEC, they are immediately discounted because of their academics. (WVU has a good overall athletic dept.)

You think if UNC or UVA were available to move out of the ACC, the BIG 10 or the SEC would not jump at the chance of adding them, due to their athletic excellence BUT ALSO, their academic excellence.

I think one of the criteria to get into the Big 10 is to be a member of the AAU. UVA, Duke, UNC and GA Tech meet that criteria.

I'm wanting academic excellence and athletic excellence for us!!!! I want us to be in the AAU...and ranked much higher than 117, and certainly ahead of UT and Auburn in the US News and World Report Rankings.

Last edited:
Really?

West Virginia University has an open enrollment. They are ranked lower that most schools in America. Is it any wonder why, when they want to be in the ACC or SEC, they are immediately discounted because of their academics. (WVU has a good overall athletic dept.)

You think if UNC or UVA were available to move out of the ACC, the BIG 10 or the SEC would not jump at the chance of adding them, due to their athletic excellence BUT ALSO, their academic excellence.

I think one of the criteria to get into the Big 10 is to be a member of the AAU. UVA, Duke, UNC and GA Tech meet that criteria.

I'm wanting academic excellence and athletic excellence for us!!!! I want us to be in the AAU...and ranked much higher than 117, and certainly ahead of UT and Auburn in the US News and World Report Rankings.
I don't know the answer to this but how does a school's academic rating help a conference other than in some made up standings? I mean the NCAA is athletics and the SEC is athletics so where does a school's academics factor in?

AAU membership consists of prestigious research universities. We ain't one. When your president can't remember the school's name (for whatever reason) and plagiarizes his speeches, you don't expect to shoot up the rankings. It will be interesting to see if we can attract a quality provost (a very big issue for AAU) and president. Right now, we are a rudderless ship. The only discernible strategy we have heard is to get bigger. Mo students = mo money, right? Not sure I see any plan for us to get better.
Support from the SC government has decreased from over 30% to less than 20 % and facilities need a lot of repair, upgrading - it is not only USC but all the SC public colleges. Government and industry research money has increased over the last ten years but we still have a long ways to go.

Reactions: rogue cock
I’ve given an endowment and I think it has be mismanaged. It has lost money every year. High management fee. Don’t invest in conservative investments. Never has been paid to a student (due to endowment conditions.)
My endowment yields around a 4 % return scholarship every year - they same to keep about a one year return in reserve to cover good and bad years.

I don't know the answer to this but how does a school's academic rating help a conference other than in some made up standings? I mean the NCAA is athletics and the SEC is athletics so where does a school's academics factor in?
Here's an example....

Duke crowd chanting while playing NC State in basketball
"if you can't go to college go to State"

AGAIN, when WVU wanted to get into the ACC when they were expanding with Syracuse, BC, etc., WVU was denied due to Academics...

Here is an article from SEC/ACC expansion which states again, WVU in a no-go because of academics...

The Clemson folks use the rankings against us...

What if we wanted to get back in the ACC? We would be ahead of a couple of schools but no where near the top. Duke, UVA, Pitt...heck we would be below NCSU, FSU and Clemson...

Academic reputation matters!!!!

My endowment yields around a 4 % return scholarship every year - they same to keep about a one year return in reserve to cover good and bad years.
Was it with USC? Why would mine be different? Thanks

We're behind:
Vandy
UF
UGA
A&M
Auburn
UT
Carolina......

I remember in past polls that we we're fourth....A&M came to the SEC and we we're fifth...

Being behind UT and Auburn is BULLSHIT....

I'm wondering does a strong President has something to do with the rankings...

Why are we not in the AAU? We are ranked ahead of Univ ofOregon, Univ of Kansas and Iowa State.

I think being the AAU would help as well....UGA, UF, Vandy, & A&M are in, why not us?

FSU has improved since they joined the ACC...they were ranked below us for years, now they are up there with Clemson and NCSU...hum...
U read us news! 😳

I've always maintained that we are poorer as an institution than people think - in every aspect. It ain't all about state funding, either. That's not how endowments are built.
Agree, a lot of factors....number of endowed chairs, overall endowment, research facilities (including research materials in the university library). selectiveness of students, reputation of professors, state funding (or the lack thereof), etc....we face an uphill battle coming from a poor, small state.

For the B1G it has to do with the Big Ten Academic Alliance which controls around $10B annually in funded research monies.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yep, every B1G member is in the AAU with the exception of Nebraska. And they were AAU at the time of invite. I'm with you, I like to win at sports but I want highly-esteemed academics as well

Many university endowments have lost money recently because they became woke and liquidated their holdings of fossil fuel companies and then purchased alternative energy companies. Of course their wokeness created buying opportunities for people like me. China, India, and Russia have been buying oil, natural gas, and coal from U.S. companies like never before. For example, the spot price of coal and natural gas are up three-fold since a year ago. My investments in U.S coal producers have quadrupled since the 2016 election.
I don’t see how this is possible. Peabody ( BTU ) has lost over 35 % of its stock value the last 5 years

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Here's an example....

Duke crowd chanting while playing NC State in basketball
"if you can't go to college go to State"

AGAIN, when WVU wanted to get into the ACC when they were expanding with Syracuse, BC, etc., WVU was denied due to Academics...

Here is an article from SEC/ACC expansion which states again, WVU in a no-go because of academics...

The Clemson folks use the rankings against us...

What if we wanted to get back in the ACC? We would be ahead of a couple of schools but no where near the top. Duke, UVA, Pitt...heck we would be below NCSU, FSU and Clemson...

Academic reputation matters!!!!
That doesn't address my question at all.

But why do it through an athletic conference? I don't understand why the two are commingled.
Not sure, but its been an academic/athletic conference since its founding I believe or a short time thereafter. The University of Chicago was a member and when it left the B!G athletic part of the conference, it maintained it's position in the CIC (the former BTAA) until recently.

It may not help a conference...but a conference can stand for academic excellence along with athletic excellence...ie BIG 10...I would love to see us up there with UF and UGA in the academic standings....

The other side of the coin could be, THE ACC did not want WVU because it would tarnish their reputation as being a conference of academic excellence...

When asked about its drop in the rankings, USC sent a statement that did not address what could have led to the falloff.

“Today’s (U.S. News) rankings are indicative of the momentum we continue to see at our university,” USC said in its statement. “Among the 3,982 degree-granting postsecondary institutions in the U.S., our rankings are strong.”

Unbelievable. This is indicative of our momentum alright.

Well, downward momentum is momentum too.

Reactions: uscwatson21
...The poster stated that people hiring don’t pay attention to where the degree comes from and that is just not true. A student coming out of USC business school is going to be more highly regarded than one out of Clemson. Just like a a student coming out of Vanderbilt to be a doctor is going to be more highly regarded than USC.
I'll agree with you that the school on the degree in a postgraduate situation may still matter (somewhat), but for undergraduate it's not the case anymore. Major employers are moving to something called pymetrics which utilizes AI to place candidates. As far as I know from personal experience, it does not take into account which school is on your degree. https://www.pymetrics.ai/

We're behind:
Vandy
UF
UGA
A&M
Auburn
UT
Carolina......

I remember in past polls that we we're fourth....A&M came to the SEC and we we're fifth...

Being behind UT and Auburn is BULLSHIT....

I'm wondering does a strong President has something to do with the rankings...

Why are we not in the AAU? We are ranked ahead of Univ ofOregon, Univ of Kansas and Iowa State.

I think being the AAU would help as well....UGA, UF, Vandy, & A&M are in, why not us?

FSU has improved since they joined the ACC...they were ranked below us for years, now they are up there with Clemson and NCSU...hum...

Dont you know you have to kiss their ass and of course fall into all sorts of political correctness to be rated these days.

I don’t see how this is possible. Peabody ( BTU ) has lost over 35 % of its stock value the last 5 years
Check out the 2-yr chart of BTU. Perhaps I should have said 2 years instead of 5, but the point is that the industry is roaring. I’ve bought BTU and ARLP

Last edited:
The US Nerws rankings are a joke in the academic world. One of the larger measures is average class size, so a lot of smaller private schools do well on that metric. Let me ask you, would you rather be in a class of 100 taught by a Nobel Prize winner in your area, or in a class of 30 taught by someone with only a Master's degree, no PHD? Evidently, US News gives better ratings to the smaller class. Now AAU is a big deal in the academic world, but that is about research not college overall.

Reactions: 67gamecock
The US Nerws rankings are a joke in the academic world. One of the larger measures is average class size, so a lot of smaller private schools do well on that metric. Let me ask you, would you rather be in a class of 100 taught by a Nobel Prize winner in your area, or in a class of 30 taught by someone with only a Master's degree, no PHD? Evidently, US News gives better ratings to the smaller class. Now AAU is a big deal in the academic world, but that is about research not college overall.
Average class size is one of the big ways Clemson gamed the system. They would have several small classes of a particular class and one large class for that same class. And would report that x %age of the classes were less than y number of students. And they did that for several freshman and sophomore level classes that would normally have large numbers of students.

Agree that the AAU is about research but those schools that are big in research also draw the top professors in their field. So in some ways, it is about education and the quality of the school.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I’m an Alumnus and these rankings are largely irrelevant. No legitimate hiring manager is hiring applicant A over applicant B because Applicant A’s school is ranked 15 spots higher.
If I have 2 applicants with the same experience and personality and one has a degree from Harvard and one from USC, I'm hiring the Harvard grad.

At anytime we desire, USC can become more selective. The apps grow yearly because of the growth in Charlotte We gotta pick it up researching

Average class size is one of the big ways Clemson gamed the system. They would have several small classes of a particular class and one large class for that same class. And would report that x %age of the classes were less than y number of students. And they did that for several freshman and sophomore level classes that would normally have large numbers of students.

Agree that the AAU is about research but those schools that are big in research also draw the top professors in their field. So in some ways, it is about education and the quality of the school.
And we could do the same thing if it was important to someone at USC. Why not?

If I have 2 applicants with the same experience and personality and one has a degree from Harvard and one from USC, I'm hiring the Harvard grad.

well yeah there is like 100 spot difference between those two schools. Harvard is also renowned on its own merits outside of this list.

Not really giving an analogy that fits the limits of the argument are you?

And we could do the same thing if it was important to someone at USC. Why not?
Supposedly they have resolved many, if not most, of the issues the Clemson professor named when she exposed the system gaming. I think it shocked many the lengths a school would go to improve their standing on the list.

Not me. I’ve hired hundreds of professionals during my career and Harvard grads were always the worst employees. In truth, companies cannot afford to hire grads of the supposed top tier schools all the time. I’ve found the best employees can always be found in the center of the academic distribution of schools.

Obviously generally true. But you could easily have a great college that has a good endowment and just wants to focus on education, not research. Now research is one of the metrics used by USNWR, so that would knock them down a bit, but they might be a great school. For example, Pepperdine is a top 50 school in USNWR. It isn't known for research at all. But it has tons of money and is located in Malibu, California. They can get nearly anyone they want as a visiting professor for a single semester. They pay tons of money and you get to take the spouse to Malibu, all expenses paid, for three months. Then you go back and do your research at the school you are tenured at. Pepperdine also have a fairly large campus in Heidelberg Germany and can get amazing visiting professors teaching classes of about 15 there. Now tuition is about $55,640 per semester.

So research is usually very important, but doesn't have to be if already well funded. Because research does bring in lots of money both in grants and donations, and sometime royalties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT