ADVERTISEMENT

Why it's time to panic (Gamecock Baseball)

Incorrect. RT worked on numerous administrative tasks in the Athletic Departments at NCSU and USC for many years prior to taking over at USC.

If you think that RT is not doing a good job, okay, I will respect your opinion, But to state that he has no experience is flat out wrong.
The perpetual Ray defenders often throw this out....that somehow he was an AD "light" at NCSU. Read his info....on the USC website, Wiki, etc. Says nothing about this at all. If it was actually something that anyone considered qualifying experience to be the SC AD, wouldn't his official university bio at least mention it?

The entire SEC knows he is a mediocre AD except for the defenders in our own fanbase. Now way he would even sniff another AD job at a major university. No way. But we are SC, so we must all shut up and settle.

A dynasty doesn't last forever. LSU has a better tradition that USC and they won't make the postseason this year. When you lose the greatest coach in the history of your favorite sport, it's rare that you get anyone who is just as good or better. See Florida football and Tennessee women's basketball for instance. Not saying we can't get there again, but you don't get to the championship every year for many reasons: coaching changes, recruits who don't pan out, recruits who decide to go elsewhere, lack of talent in your home state, etc.

Programs will rise and fall in each sport with a few exceptions. When Dawn Staley hangs it up at South Carolina, nobody will quickly repeat what she did.

Baseball team isn't terrible right now... certainly not inept... going 16-14 in the SEC in baseball is actually pretty damn good and more teams are paying attention to baseball now. There are other good coaches out there, too.

Agree. Kingston inherited a program on a major slide which was sure to more than trickle into his tenure.

IMO, next season will be the defining point.

We were 8-22 in the SEC in 2019 (2020 COVID wash) and this year we're 16-14. That's progress - the conference is stacked.

When you listen to Kingston communicate, it's clear he's a leader and among our most competent.

This season has had it's ups and downs, but it still feels like it's in pretty good hands.

Last edited:
Incorrect. RT worked on numerous administrative tasks in the Athletic Departments at NCSU and USC for many years prior to taking over at USC.

If you think that RT is not doing a good job, okay, I will respect your opinion, But to state that he has no experience is flat out wrong.
He also oversaw the conceptualization and development of Founder's Park from the very beginning to fruition.

The perpetual Ray defenders often throw this out....that somehow he was an AD "light" at NCSU. Read his info....on the USC website, Wiki, etc. Says nothing about this at all. If it was actually something that anyone considered qualifying experience to be the SC AD, wouldn't his official university bio at least mention it?

The entire SEC knows he is a mediocre AD except for the defenders in our own fanbase. Now way he would even sniff another AD job at a major university. No way. But we are SC, so we must all shut up and settle.
You're wrong here. He is very well respected among SEC AD's and other administrators. He also was assistant AD at NC State whether it says it on a site or not. Your misery continues......

You're wrong here. He is very well respected among SEC AD's and other administrators. He also was assistant AD at NC State whether it says it on a site or not. Your misery continues......
Well...you are kinda right. I can for sure tell you 3 conference ADs who are VERY happy he is at Carolina and those are the ADs at our eastern division rivals Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. I also bet the AD in orange in the upstate pops some champagne evert time Ray gets a contract extension. Your defense of mediocrity continues....

A dynasty doesn't last forever. LSU has a better tradition that USC and they won't make the postseason this year. When you lose the greatest coach in the history of your favorite sport, it's rare that you get anyone who is just as good or better. See Florida football and Tennessee women's basketball for instance. Not saying we can't get there again, but you don't get to the championship every year for many reasons: coaching changes, recruits who don't pan out, recruits who decide to go elsewhere, lack of talent in your home state, etc.

Programs will rise and fall in each sport with a few exceptions. When Dawn Staley hangs it up at South Carolina, nobody will quickly repeat what she did.

Baseball team isn't terrible right now... certainly not inept... going 16-14 in the SEC in baseball is actually pretty damn good and more teams are paying attention to baseball now. There are other good coaches out there, too.

But like I said in my above post if Tanner doesn't want to coach say goodbye. Hire an AD and O' Sullivan. The dynasty continues. But USC is to stupid to do that.

Kingston's first year we went 17-13 in SEC play, and made it to a Super Regional, so far his best season was with Holbrooks players.
Yeah, Holbrook left a few good upper-class pitchers with NO depth behind them. They went on to greener pastures after the first year. Kingston was left with an empty cupboard after that first year.

Our facilities are state of the art, doesn't make one crap of difference. We get embarrassed by teams that seat less than half of what Founders Park does. Instead of spending millions on facilities how about spend that money on a coach worth a crap like LSU, Alabama and other winning programs do, and stop settling for mediocrity.
They all were recently built or greatly improved....thanks Tanner. You have to give time for coaches to build or re-build a program. If you want to change coaches every 3/4 years, you will NEVER have a successful program.

Well...you are kinda right. I can for sure tell you 3 conference ADs who are VERY happy he is at Carolina and those are the ADs at our eastern division rivals Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. I also bet the AD in orange in the upstate pops some champagne evert time Ray gets a contract extension. Your defense of mediocrity continues....
Oh please..🙄you act like we just started losing to those teams when Ray became AD. Also you know good and well I was not referring to wins and losses anyway. That is only a small part of what an AD does. But carry on with your misery.

10 years ago we won our 2nd national championship and in the middle of a historic post season run, and were one of the top programs in America, there wasn't anything that could stop us. Now after years of Holbrook and Kingston baseball, we are mediocre at best, and today's recruits have never seen Gamecock baseball win anything. Even Tennessee has passed us as a program.

Even if we had won today, we are still recruiting and performing in the middle of the pack in the SEC in a sport that is supposed to be our best. Only at Carolina can we screw something great up this badly. What makes the problem worse is the complete and total failure of USC Athletic Department in every sport except WBB, it's not even mediocrity anymore, it's just failure. big time changes are needed or this pathetic display of ineptitude will contin
LSU among other schools say hello. Along with our rival

Oh please..🙄you act like we just started losing to those teams when Ray became AD. Also you know good and well I was not referring to wins and losses anyway. That is only a small part of what an AD does. But carry on with your misery.
More mental gymnastics by the Ray supporters who want to convince us all that the university's athletic director really has no control, little influence and no accountability for wins and loses (or lack of) by the teams he (or she) oversees.

That would be a dream job. Paid millions of dollars to sit back and not have to care at all about the success or production from the folks that I hire and oversee.

Reactions: atl-cock
LSU among other schools say hello. Along with our rival
Are you really trying to compare the trajectory of these two programs right now? UofSC has not won 40+ games in a season in 5 years! During that same time, LSU has done it 3 times with 3 Super Regional appearances and 1 CWS appearance.

Reactions: bucketdad
More mental gymnastics by the Ray supporters who want to convince us all that the university's athletic director really has no control, little influence and no accountability for wins and loses (or lack of) by the teams he (or she) oversees.

That would be a dream job. Paid millions of dollars to sit back and not have to care at all about the success or production from the folks that I hire and oversee.
Where did I say he has little control? I said it's a small part of a huge job. I guess it's hard to read through your tears.

USC baseball has a major problem: Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, all consistently finish ahead of us in results and recruiting, and are superior programs. LSU is having a down year at 34-22, but are still the better program.

When you bring up SEC baseball those are the teams people think about, not SC. Even after 2 titles a decade ago, all it took was two underwhelming/cheap hires to destroy the program. I've never seen anything like it where a program regresses this much.

USC baseball has a major problem: Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, all consistently finish ahead of us in results and recruiting, and are superior programs. LSU is having a down year at 34-22, but are still the better program.

When you bring up SEC baseball those are the teams people think about, not SC. Even after 2 titles a decade ago, all it took was two underwhelming/cheap hires to destroy the program. I've never seen anything like it where a program regresses this much.
Again, the Holbrook hire was the right move at the time. Only in retrospect was it wrong.

Is not now. Would have in 2012.
No we couldn't. His record at UF for his 1st 4 years (ending 2012) was better than ours...despite the fact we had one of the best overall records. Also, that was when UF promised him a new stadium and the facts it is much easier to recruit in Florida and we can't win a bidding war with Florida.

Say hello to Texas, though they could be on the rebound.

Southern California has 12 national championships, but has not been to the College World Series since 2001. Oklahoma State has been to the CWS 20 times, but has only won it once over 60 years ago.

USC baseball has a major problem: Florida, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, all consistently finish ahead of us in results and recruiting, and are superior programs.
Are you admitting that South Carolina plays in a fierce baseball conference? From 2010 through 2019 the SEC won the CWS five times and runner up six times. 2011 (South Carolina & Florida) and 2017 (Florida & Louisiana State) only featured SEC teams in the championship game.

Are you really trying to compare the trajectory of these two programs right now? UofSC has not won 40+ games in a season in 5 years! During that same time, LSU has done it 3 times with 3 Super Regional appearances and 1 CWS appearance.
I was trying to give you a little credit when I pointed out that at least you were refraining from referring to USC as UofSC. You immediately went back to using it again. You are just pathetic....

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Who do we play next? Have regionals been announced?
Hopefully not a team with decent pitching! This team won't sniff any championships, hitting is nowhere near championship level, and our pitching is decent but nothing special. No Jackie Bradley's, Christian Walkers, Wingo's, Price's, etc. on this team.

Hopefully not a team with decent pitching! This team won't sniff any championships, hitting is nowhere near championship level, and our pitching is decent but nothing special. No Jackie Bradley's, Christian Walkers, Wingo's, Price's, etc. on this team.
Man you just don’t give up, not only is Ray a terrible AD, but he did us no favors in winning a couple NC’s, because to some that is all that is expected now! I bet those NC teams would have loved to have had a clarke, allen, kerry, bosnic and sanders around!

That's why I'm seeing a good coaching job on the part of Kingston to bring a team with none of those stars you mention to a winning SEC record and a NCAA regional bid.

That's why I'm seeing a good coaching job on the part of Kingston to bring a team with none of those stars you mention to a winning SEC record and a NCAA regional bid.
Seriously! I hope people realize how stacked this league is this year, can’t say I’ve ever seen it as competitive and we played quite a few of those that stayed in and around the top 10 all year long! Plus a Texas and CU series, not many spots to catch your breath! I think we can win a regional, not so sure about a super!

Seriously! I hope people realize how stacked this league is this year, can’t say I’ve ever seen it as competitive and we played quite a few of those that stayed in and around the top 10 all year long! Plus a Texas and CU series, not many spots to catch your breath! I think we can win a regional, not so sure about a super!
Agree with you..get to a SR, and it's a very successful year.

Agree with you..get to a SR, and it's a very successful year.
Yep....said as much at the beginning of the year, Regional is a good year, showing good progress...Super is a very good year as there seemed to be a lot of unknowns about this team at that point and we missed a lot of practice time due to Covid restrictions at a time where the coaches are trying to make changes to the hitting approach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT