ADVERTISEMENT

Why No one should take UCF seriously

Gamecockalypse325

Jul 26, 2015
Sumter SC

They scream “no one will play us” but when a big time program literally offers them THREE games, they poo poo and say it isn’t “fair”. Idk about y’all, but I’ve never wanted to pull for the fightin Ed Os more in my life.

These Central Florida teams are so concerned with being perceived as Florida, Miami, and FSU this doesn’t surprise me. Both UCF and USF are the same in this respect. When USF was 7-0 so many of their fans would talk about how there were 6-1, 5-2 teams ranked ahead of them. They just don’t know their place. Auburn could’ve shut them up last year but came out unmotivated. Hopefully LSU doesn’t make that same mistake and puts it to them. Of course then their excuse will be the Milton injury.

I remember when having 0 in the loss column meant something.

It’s amazing to me how we have devalued that stat unless you’re a coach about to be fired or hired to a bigger paycheck.

Their win streak is remarkable
Bottom half SEC Team & bottom 1/3 without Milton. LSU rolls.

Note: I was pulling for them in general a bit until they turned down this offer. Now, they can suck it & have fun playing in their sandbox with Tulsa. I hope we never schedule them again.

It’s amazing to me how we have devalued that stat unless you’re a coach about to be fired or hired to a bigger paycheck.

It is remarkable. But that doesn’t mean they should see Florida offering a 2 for 1 and think they deserve better. That’s a heck of a deal for a school like UCF. The Florida Gators are OFFERING to come play at UCF. That’s a huge deal. To hear that offer and say they deserve better, which would be a home and home, is absurd. Sure they’ve had a nice couple of years but to think they are UF, FSU, or Miami is ridiculous. Not saying they may not beat those teams today...they probably beat UM and FSU with a shot to beat Florida. But as far as programs...no way. Because they won’t do 2 for 1’s they end up playing the lower tier teams, that don’t build up their resume, along with their cupcake conference schedule. Since they won’t do what is necessary to play better competition they should not complain. Keep in mind this also came from a discussion about SEC basketball in 2016 when the SEC only got 3 teams in the tournament. Only 2 teams in were ranked in the top 50, which meant the other teams couldn’t get top 50 wins in their own conference. We know this very well because we were basically the team that got left out that season. The next year we beefed up our schedule out of conference. That means adding road games or neutral site games. You have to do what you have to do. Scheduling is different in basketball of course. Fact is, UCF isn’t willing to do what they need to do for them to be considered for the playoff. They would rather just have teams / committee just proclaim it without taking the next step. That won’t happen.

Heck, last week I was complaining about a 2 and 1 we have scheduled with App State. To me this would be a dumb move for Florida, but they are willing. They have one scheduled already with USF as well. UCF and USF are in the same boat...neither team, when they are good, wants to admit that.

Everyone thought it was funny to have UCF claim the title last season, I think to poke at Alabama. UCF took it a step further. Not just a joke to them...they really believe they deserved it.

Reactions: gamecockblack

When you win that many games in a row you are somebody. How highly you are ranked may be a different story but winning 24 (or whatever) games in a row is something.

UCF has the largest public University enrollment in the US followed by aTm. They are around 65,000. They didn't perceive sports as a major emphasis until about 10yrs ago. They have the alumni and opportunity to turn that school in a major contender especially being in a recruiting hotbed!

They don't currently deserve the respect they are requesting but if the trend continues then watch out. Undefeated for two yrs is "remarkable" and I call BS with the uninspired Auburn. That is some lame ass excuse for losing. Yes I would like to see LSU beat them but if they win with their backup QB it will be almost unbearable!!

I wish they would schedule a couple P5 schools so they could either upgrade rankings or shut the hell up! Should look for some neutral site games.

These Central Florida teams are so concerned with being perceived as Florida, Miami, and FSU this doesn’t surprise me. Both UCF and USF are the same in this respect. When USF was 7-0 so many of their fans would talk about how there were 6-1, 5-2 teams ranked ahead of them. They just don’t know their place. Auburn could’ve shut them up last year but came out unmotivated. Hopefully LSU doesn’t make that same mistake and puts it to them. Of course then their excuse will be the Milton injury.
But they conveniently forget how FSU got to where they are/were. Bowden would play any one any where....he didn't ask for a return home game, just wanted to be able to show he could compete and beat the big teams. He did until he was considered a big team.

I’m just saying I grew up when undefeated meant something.

Apparently it doesn’t anymore
It means a trip to the Fiesta Bowl. That isn't exactly chump-change.

I grew up when going undefeated, depending on your schedule, might earn you a share of the national title if the UPI thought you deserved it but the AP didn't. If UCF beats LSU, they can print their national championship T-shirts just like they did last year.

Totally disagree! The bowls had a chance to match them up with Florida, which would have been great. I believe UF had pull and begged someone not to match them up. I think they would have beaten Florida, embarassing then greatly, but someone with Gainesville ties likely scuttled that matchup.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Totally disagree! The bowls had a chance to match them up with Florida, which would have been great. I believe UF had pull and begged someone not to match them up. I think they would have beaten Florida, embarassing then greatly, but someone with Gainesville ties likely scuttled that matchup.

Totally agree. They've got some serious state of FL talent and a great coach in Josh Heupel who I wish we had grabbed when he was OC at Mizzou.

They’re not in a P5 conference so even if they beat Florida or Michigan or Oklahoma or any other team, would they have a chance at the playoffs? My guess is still no because they’re not a P5 program. That sucks.

And why will these schools not schedule a home and home? You say UCF thinks they deserve better than 1 home, 2 away. Why do you think others deserve the 2 home, 1 away? Why won’t they take an even deal?

I hope they beat the hell out of LSU this year. 24(?) wins in a row is damn impressive. People need to get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking that only the big name programs deserve the top spots year after year. It’s a bunch of elitist bullshit.

Kerrion Johnson was Auburn's offense last year and he was hurt. But if UCF can beat LSU behind their backup quarterback, you won't be able to withhold the credit they would deserve. Still not wanting to see them in the CFP based on their overall schedule. But I feel somewhat the same about ND not playing in a conference or championship game.

Last edited:
They’re not in a P5 conference so even if they beat Florida or Michigan or Oklahoma or any other team, would they have a chance at the playoffs? My guess is still no because they’re not a P5 program. That sucks.

And why will these schools not schedule a home and home? You say UCF thinks they deserve better than 1 home, 2 away. Why do you think others deserve the 2 home, 1 away? Why won’t they take an even deal?

I hope they beat the hell out of LSU this year. 24(?) wins in a row is damn impressive. People need to get their heads out of their asses and stop thinking that only the big name programs deserve the top spots year after year. It’s a bunch of elitist bullshit.
When FSU was an independent and building their credibility, they went to Michigan. Michigan never went there. They went to Nebraska four times. Nebraska never went to Tallahassee - still haven't been. They went to Notre Dame twice before Notre Dame ever went to Tallahassee nine years later. FSU knew what it took to crash the party. Insisting on home-and-home contracts with more established programs ain't it. They ought to take Florida's offer and be grateful.

I’m just saying I grew up when undefeated meant something.

Apparently it doesn’t anymore

When did you grow up? Not asking disrespectfully, just seriously wondering. This has been this way for some time really. Example: 1999 season. BCS pairs up FSU and Va Tech in the National Title, both undefeated. That’s fine. But there was a 3rd undefeated team that season. Marshall...final BCS ranking? 12th. That’s 4 spots lower than where UCF finished in current CFP ranking. That team beat Clemson to open the season by the way.

Yep. It is elitist. Those are the elite football schools in Florida. Sorry. 3 years ago UCF was 0-12. It’s a great story what they’ve done ... but it takes more than 2 years for a team to reach the heights of programs like UF, FSU, and Miami. And nobody needs to go pretending that beating Memphis twice means you should have a shot at a National Title or get home and homes with UF. The bigger issue is that UF doesn’t need to beef their schedule. UCF does. They are the program with that issue and they REFUSE to do what is necessary to fix it. That’s the whole point. Take the 2 and 1, win the games and that’ll fix some things. But they won’t. Their own fault. They need schools like Florida to offer them what Florida is offering and they are saying screw you.

As far as the Florida avoiding the game, the Florida AD addressed those rumors. Not saying it couldn’t have happened but apparently he had to step away from conversations in which Florida was considered in the NY6 games. I’d say it’s more fan accusation than anything at this point.

Last edited:

It is remarkable, but there's probably a dozen or so teams that could do the same with that schedule.

Reactions: Carolina4
Disagree whole heartedly! Don't think that transpired!

I agree but they just became a decent team. Most P5 teams are scheduled for yrs, so they bitch bitch but won't take a 2-1 but yet they think they deserve Respect.

Suggested: take a 2-1 with a major especially Florida, just imagine how they could disrupt recruiting if they won. Then they need to take a good P5 like Tenn or Cocks for a 1yr to get their exposure.

They can bitch but once they play P5 at their house an win will be when they get respect!

It’s a slap in the face from a UF team that thinks they are somebody. It’s as bad as dUNCe only wanting to play in Charlotte because they can’t soil their Weejuns in dirty ole Cola Town. Thanks AD. Play anyone else in the ACC except for UNC and NCS. Home and home. But anyway, Florida blows. UCF would drag them up and down the field and back up again. That’s why SS threw out that bs proposal because he knew they’d balk at it. Who wants a loss you have to pay much money for? Pretty much like us and ASU, only worse. I don’t care what conference you play in, or who you play, it’s unbelievable to go undefeated 2 years in a row. Not to mention they were 0-fer a few years back, but before that, they won a BCS game. Something we never even sniffed. So essentially they’ve done more in 10 years than we have in 126-7. Yeah the SEC is harder, but damn. I’ll be damned if their conference still isn’t better than the entire ACC minus the Tates

Last edited:
Reactions: allyourbase
By way of analogy here's how I see it. UCF is the toughest kid in the 4th grade. No other 4th grader can beat him up. But about half of the 5th graders could. (5th graders being the power 5 schools). And anyone in the 6th grade would destroy him. (6th graders being those in the CFP). Kind of simplistic but that's how I see them.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well I haven’t completely finished growing up according to some. I became a 100% Gamecock at 5, so I have 37 years & change.
I grew up watching the polls & espn start every year with
ND, FSU, USCwest, Nebraska, Miami and all their little media darlings sprinkled in the top 10. And low and behold to the shock of the world when a team lost they actually fell in the polls to other teams with better records because W&L were the most important stat (I know there are others and they have value, but a 2 loss team leaping over a zero loss team I don’t get). Remember when allbarn was on probation & they won out but no Bowl game,

But they conveniently forget how FSU got to where they are/were. Bowden would play any one any where....he didn't ask for a return home game, just wanted to be able to show he could compete and beat the big teams. He did until he was considered a big team.
I didn't see your post earlier, but you are dead on. I looked up some specifics and placed them in Post #18.

I believe when Bortles was the QB at UCF, we went to Orlando and gave them their only loss that season? Memory tells me UCF beat Auburn that year at the Fiesta Bowl.

It means a trip to the Fiesta Bowl. That isn't exactly chump-change.

I grew up when going undefeated, depending on your schedule, might earn you a share of the national title if the UPI thought you deserved it but the AP didn't. If UCF beats LSU, they can print their national championship T-shirts just like they did last year.

Arizona State went undefeated in 75 and didn't get a share. Even a team like Arkansas went undefeated in 64 and didn't get a AP or UPI NC. Penn State had a team in the mid 90s, Auburn 04, Tulane 98, 99Marshall , 2010 TCU, 04 Utah, 85 Fresno State, and I am sure many more did it and never got a NC

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT