ADVERTISEMENT

Why not give Bobby Bentley a shot to call plays in the bowl game

Bentley is one of the lowest paid assistants on the team. That should tell you how much he’s valued by Boom.

Probably because Bryan McClendon was the co-offensive coordinator.

I know, right? Why is this so hard? Do people really think Muschamp would insult his best recruiter by having Bentley call plays? We absolutely can not lose McClendon. He's keeping our head above water in recruiting.

I know, right? Why is this so hard? Do people really think Muschamp would insult his best recruiter by having Bentley call plays? We absolutely can not lose McClendon. He's keeping our head above water in recruiting.
Barely above water. 27th in nation ain't much

If I had to guess I would think K that both BMac and Bentley become co-coordinators should Boom not go outside. Bentley compares to Malzahn background-wise.

I don't like the situation with J. Bentley being the OC's son if B. Bentley were the OC.

Nor do I exactly know how to evaluate him as just a rb coach. But that coaching slot is usually for a strong recruiter. And B. Bentley has done pretty well so far at that.

Until he is an actual OC at a major college we won't know how good he is at it. If his son weren't on the team, I'd say he would be well served to take an OC job somewhere else so he can show what he can do.

But we'd be taking a chance on whether he'd produce or not. And I really can't understand why people can't see the potential emo coming down the pike if he were the OC.

If Bentley has another year like this one, the best thing would be to sit him, at least at times. I also believe we could come up with a very productive package for Joyner, even if he weren't the starter and played situationally. The kid has wheels, and most teams would find a way to leverage that, even if he isn't the full time starter.

So is Bobby really prepared to sit his son if he is stinking it up in the first half, and give Urich a shot? If whatever package we use with Joyner is racking up the rushing yards, and the other team just can't stop it (like some of our Kentucky games), is he going to leave Jake on the bench as long as the Offense is producing?

Or worse, what if Boom tells Bobby to see what Urich can do in a game, if Jake has one of his Clemson games?

Reactions: rogue cock
I don't like the situation with J. Bentley being the OC's son if B. Bentley were the OC.

Nor do I exactly know how to evaluate him as just a rb coach. But that coaching slot is usually for a strong recruiter. And B. Bentley has done pretty well so far at that.

Until he is an actual OC at a major college we won't know how good he is at it. If his son weren't on the team, I'd say he would be well served to take an OC job somewhere else so he can show what he can do.

But we'd be taking a chance on whether he'd produce or not. And I really can't understand why people can't see the potential emo coming down the pike if he were the OC.

If Bentley has another year like this one, the best thing would be to sit him, at least at times. I also believe we could come up with a very productive package for Joyner, even if he weren't the starter and played situationally. The kid has wheels, and most teams would find a way to leverage that, even if he isn't the full time starter.

So is Bobby really prepared to sit his son if he is stinking it up in the first half, and give Urich a shot? If whatever package we use with Joyner is racking up the rushing yards, and the other team just can't stop it (like some of our Kentucky games), is he going to leave Jake on the bench as long as the Offense is producing?

Or worse, what if Boom tells Bobby to see what Urich can do in a game, if Jake has one of his Clemson games?

Consider RB performance this year... it appeared this was a mediocre group at best at the beginning of the year...how many played? how many injured? how did they block? did they perform on special teams? Did one of these kids have motivatioinal issues and what happiened to him? fumbles? yards after contact? route running? hands? work ethic? leadership of group? where was this group at the beginning of the year and where are they now? measurable? BB has quietly moved this group from a question mark to a strength. Depth was an issue and now is a strength with this group. Thoughts? My guess is that WM has been pleased with coach and the kids.

I believe Muschamp and our fans need to be patient with BB. While appears to be a great football mind the bottom line is he's just not ready to be an OC, especially in the SEC and I don't believe there's anyway Muschamp is going to take a chance with his career on the line on someone with Bentley's lack of experience.
The man did a helluva job with RB's this season. Maybe they should move him to TE's or some other position for more experience and let him have input in the schemes and play calling and see how he progresses. If he's asset and helps the offense the worse that can happen is he's offered somewhere else by another school and we'll have to pay him if he's worth keeping. And who knows, he just may end up as our OC someday.
But now is not his time.

In my opinion he was brought on for one reason. I believe most people know this however won't admit it.
Wouldn’t doubt it but everybody says Boom wants a ball control offense to counter a defense, a Saban like mind...why would you entrust your RBs to a coach you don’t believe in? That’s kind of the bread and butter to a ball control philosophy.

Really? Didn't we just lose a QB because he didn't think he was getting a fair shake?
Oh, so you're saying you don't want to have Bentley as OC so that Joyner gets a fair shake when he gets here. I guess I understand that. However, I was operating from the position that JB would probably be our QB until he leaves, and that the head coach would make determinations regarding QB changes. If those two things were true, there's no downside or nepotism to worry about if Bentley is competent to call the plays. They both want to win & I doubt he'd be softer on him when he made a mistake. If anything, probably harder.

Fwiw, I have not decided my opinion on whether he becomes OC or not. Still reading posts of persons familiar with his work.

Wouldn’t doubt it but everybody says Boom wants a ball control offense to counter a defense, a Saban like mind...why would you entrust your RBs to a coach you don’t believe in? That’s kind of the bread and butter to a ball control philosophy.
Well maybe...just maybe..."everybody" was wrong.

Oh, so you're saying you don't want to have Bentley as OC so that Joyner gets a fair shake when he gets here. I guess I understand that. However, I was operating from the position that JB would probably be our QB until he leaves, and that the head coach would make determinations regarding QB changes. If those two things were true, there's no downside or nepotism to worry about if Bentley is competent to call the plays. They both want to win & I doubt he'd be softer on him when he made a mistake. If anything, probably harder.

Fwiw, I have not decided my opinion on whether he becomes OC or not. Still reading posts of persons familiar with his work.
Wow, you must feel honored you were chosen to make the decision. If it's not too much trouble can you let us know pretty soon? We're tired of waiting.
And BTW, if your opinion was involved with relieving Roper I just want to let you know I appreciate it.

Wow, you must feel honored you were chosen to make the decision. If it's not too much trouble can you let us know pretty soon? We're tired of waiting.
And BTW, if your opinion was involved with relieving Roper I just want to let you know I appreciate it.
I'm just a fan on a message board. I have not made up my mind yet based on the facts presented as to whether I'm "pulling" for him to get the job or not. The same way I will be pulling for the Team, even though my effort doesn't mean a hill of beans. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind not wanting Bentley as OC if he's competent and pointing out that I'm not in either camp yet. It seems momentum for that label is building.

Last edited:

Well, I recall the mother of our former QB complaining he wasn't given a fair chance, right before he transferred. How can you recruit top talent if they have the same impression? Most players commit with the promise of competition to start.

Well, I recall the mother of our former QB complaining he wasn't given a fair chance, right before he transferred. How can you recruit top talent if they have the same impression? Most players commit with the promise of competition to start.
Didn’t Brandon start and lose many games. A redshirt was pulled off Bentley to salvage the season. Yes there were injuries but Brandon was awful. He wasn’t even a run threat. He definitely hit the tranfer button after not being able to be the savior of the baseball team. To me it seemed like he was afraid to compete.

Was reading that Bentley’s other son threw for 71 TDs in his senior season while being coached by Bentley. I’m not saying I’m in favor of Bentley calling plays because I’d like a proven FBS playcaller, but Bentley has coached his sons before and I’m not so sure how much a factor of the father son thing would actually be.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...tball/josh-kendall-blog/article188574034.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT