ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA Draft Live Thread

Alan Cole

Beat Reporter
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2022
Aliyah Boston is almost surely going to go No. 1 to the Indiana Fever. After that it will be a waiting game for Brea Beal, Zia Cooke and Laeticia Amihere. Come hang out as the draft unfolds, and let's see which of the Freshies end up where.

Reactions: ShannonL
We are underway......and Aliyah Boston goes first overall to the Fever.

Boston joins A'ja Wilson as South Carolina players to go first overall in program history. The Gamecocks are also the sixth program ever to have multiple players go No. 1 overall in the WNBA Draft.

Boston of course will be teammates with Destanni Henderson in Indiana too, reuiniting off South Carolina's 2022 National Championship team.

The battles of first overall picks between Boston and Wilson are scheduled for June 4th, June 24th and June 26th.

That was the formality. Now the questions are about Cooke, Beal and Amihere. Have seen them mocked throughout the lower half of the first round and the higher part of the second round.

Reminder there's 36 picks in this draft total, three rounds of 12 picks apiece.

Boston saying she just wants to continue to be who she is in the WNBA.

"Very thankful for everyone back home who has supported me since the first time I stepped on a basketball court."

ESPN just showed a watch party with her whole family back in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Aliyah Boston talking with reporters now:

"I'm thankful to everybody in Indiana just because they saw something in me. I'm just ready to get there and get to work."

Talking about her decision not to use her COVID year:
"First off, everyone that has a COVID year definitely has a tough choice. You can be somewhere where you know the system and you've been there however many years, vs. coming into a new system and it's like you're starting over."

"it took a lot of thought, because if I could back to South Carolina again I absolutely would, it's so much fun. But I had to do what's best for me, and I've always wanted to do this. I've always wanted to be a professional basketball player."

Said she was very confident in this decision and trusted her gut.

Said "reuinted and it feels so good" when asked about playing with Destanni Henderson again. Said Henni came up to her in the draft room and embraced her.

On the biggest thing she learned at South Carolina:

"Being confident and being confident in your leadership skills."

Meanwhile back to the draft itself, Diamond Miller of Maryland has gone second overall to Minnesota.

Continuing to roll through the draft now:

Maddy Siegrist from Villanova goes third overall to the Dallas Wings
Staphanie Soares from Iowa State goes fourth overall to the Washington Mystics

And the Mystics immedietely trade the draft rights to Soares to Dallas for a future first and second round pick. Dallas itself on the clock now, and draft Lou Lopez Senechal from UConn.

Getting back towards the range where you could see another South Carolina player go now with the Atlanta Dream on the clock now at six and then the Fever up again at seven.

Haley Jones from Stanford goes to Atlanta at 6.

Then Indiana goes with the hometown pick taking Grace Berger from Indiana at 7. So there goes the dream of Boston playing with a teammate, at least for now.

Atlanta had two first round picks, so it is back on the clock again now at 8. Reminder that former Gamecock national champion Allisha Gray now plays with Atlanta as well.

Laeticia Amihere to the Atlanta Dream at #8 overall.

Two Freshies down, two to go. Amihere can play all five positions and will be a really big piece of that roster.

"When you come to a great program you're expected to reach greatness, you're around greatness every day. Being around that environment served me well." - Amihere

"My teammates believed in me, my coahces believed in me and when you have that support system, it's so easy to be out there."

Tennessee's Jordan Horston goes 9th to Seattle.

Zia Cooke goes 10th overall to the Los Angeles Sparks.

That's all the Freshies off the board now except for Beal.

Cooke:
"I've put in a lot of work since I was six years old. I've been my life to this. This is something I've dreamed of. That I'm finally here....it's crazy."

"Once I found the beauty in my struggle and learned how to embrace my struggle, things started to level off for me. Coach Staley taught me a lot. I would not be the player I am now without her."

Maryland's Abby Meyers and French star Maia Hirsch close out the first round.

Tough for Brea Beal to slide out of the first round there. Back to the top of the draft board now with Indiana and LA up next, a chance for Beal to maybe join one of her teammates.

Ohio State's Taylor Mikesell goes to Indiana.
Australian Shaneice Swain goes at 14 to LA.
Michigan's Leigha Brown to Atlanta.

On we go....

Dorka Juhasz (UConn) goes 16th
LaDazhia Williams (LSU) goes 17th
Madi Williams (Oklahoma) goes 18th

Halfway through the draft now and still no Beal.

Clock is shorter in the 2nd round and even shroter in the 3rd round, so these picks are going to come thick and fast.

Ashley Joens (Iowa State) goes 19th
Elena Tsineke (USF) goes 20th
Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu (USF) goes 21st

Meanwhile Laeticia Amihere on Zoom now:
"Atlanta is a great city. I love Atlanta. And it's only about 3.5 hours from Columbia, so I know the Gamecocks are going to show up loud and proud."

On Dawn:
"She had a vision for me. She said 'LA don't worry, I've got you. And she stood by that promise. I'm here now because of her and the coaching staff. I'm thankful for her and what she's done for me and my journey."

LA talking about palying her teammates in the league:
"It's going to be all business for sure. We trash talk even in practice, so I can only imagine playing against them. It's going to be such a surreal moment playing against your teammates on the highest level, because not many get a chance to do that."

Alexis Morris of LSU goes 22nd........meaning Brea Beal is the last player left in the green room. That's really, really tough and extremely unexpected. She had been mocked as high as 6th overall coming into tonight. Getting late now towards the back end of the second round.

Kayana Traylor (Virginia Tech) goes 23rd

and finally......

Brea Beal goes 24th overall to the Minnesota Lynx, the last pick of the second round.

And with that, The Freshies are off the board.

Leading off the third round, Victaria Saxton goes to the Indiana Fever at 25th overall.

Will be teammates with Aliyah Boston and Destanni Henderson.

Mark your calendars South Carolina fans, the Freshies vs. Freshies battles coming up this WNBA season:

Indiana Fever - Aliyah Boston, Victaria Saxton
Atlanta Dream - Laeticia Amihere
Los Angeles Sparks - Zia Cooke
Minnesota Lynx - Brea Beal

Indiana Fever vs. Atlanta Dream:
June 18th, August 6th, August 27th

Indiana Fever vs. Los Angeles Sparks:
July 25th, July 27th, August 8th

Atlanta Dream vs. Los Angeles Sparks:
July 2nd, July 5th, August 12th

Atlanta Dream vs. Minnesota Lynx:
May 23rd, July 18th, September 1st