ADVERTISEMENT

Wolf officially coming back.....

that's where all the talk is...But the blog certainly doesn't make it official...Honestly though, i believe the rumors about Wolford being the guy, but it wont be official until Muschamp announces it

Reactions: lostcock
I will support whoever champ hires,but i remember when wolford was here that i really felt like we were losing a coach that was making a difference in our program. If he comes back i could not be happier and i can,t think of one ol coach i would rather have. Really hope this happens.

I don't remember his line being overly impressive. But...whatever.

We played the toughest schedule in the country the year he was here. We beat #4 Ole Miss and took Clemson behind the woodshed. I think he left before the bowl game with UCONN if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: KansasCock#1
His record here was mediocre at best. Must be one of those that he was here before so we need to hire him again.

I am not sure this will be an upgrade from Elliot. His stats for the year he was OL coach were not good at all (on par with Elliot). I thought he was a better recruiter so hopefully this will work out for us.

Eric Wolford is a top shelf OL coach & this will be a really good hire.

On a related subject, doesn't he have a very sick child that's afflicted with something bad?

He had one year to work with Hunt's evaluations and developments. I think it says something that he got a head coaching gig and has also been working in the NFL for two years. Also, our 2010 OL recruiting class was pretty solid. I never really heard his coaching credentials questioned until now.

I'll give him a chance. I had not realized how poorly our line performed in terms of rushing yardage gained and sacks allowed in 2009. It might signal less reliance on the read option that Elliott helped install here. I want Muschamp to be vindicated with respect to this hiring.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Having coached in NFL should definitely help in recruiting quality offensive lineman. The talented ones are looking to play in the league and want to play for someone who knows what it takes. Wolford definitely offers that. Tony Gray would be a good start, along with maybe pulling Moore back.

Here is the OL class we signed in 2010. All of these guys were evaluated and committed to the program under Wolford.

A.J. Cann OL Bamberg, SC 6'3" 260 5.8 6/17/09
Ronald Patrick OL Cocoa, FL 6'2" 280 5.5 6/21/09
Tramell Williams OL Jacksonville, FL 6'2" 260 5.7 6/26/09
Corey Robinson OL Havelock, NC 6'7" 295 5.6 6/30/09
Cody Gibson OL Tallahassee, FL 6'6" 265 5.6 7/8/09
Du'Von Millsap OL Buford, GA 6'6" 315 5.6 10/27/09

He took over when John Hunt was fired,,didn't have much to work with,,but did recruit Ronald Patrick,,Corey Robinson,Rok Watkins to Carolina,,all three made it to the NFL
Jinx. Yeah, I think Rok came in toward the end of 08 after Wolford had been hired.

I'm just happy we didn't get an FCS coach that had never coached at the FBS level or played offensive line before to come coach offensive line here. Having NFL experience is just extra gravy on the biscuit.

Reactions: PabloSC
Something less than a big time hire. He got here the first time based on a reccomendation from Ron Zook. Credited him with helping to install the spread. Of course, having a guy like rashard mendenhall helped. Also had the Stoops connection from some thoroughly unimpressive Arizona teams. Struggled as the head man at Youngstown state. Telling that the best he could do after that was only an assistant offensive line coach in the NFL.

Probably wasn't the first choice, but certainly isn't the worst. Has shown to do more with less than stellar line talent.

Eric Wolford is a top shelf OL coach & this will be a really good hire.

On a related subject, doesn't he have a very sick child that's afflicted with something bad?

If Rod is good with the hire then I'm:

zgtu.gif

31-26 at Youngstown,,only losing season was his first season there,,wouldn't say he struggled
His record was pretty pedestrian at he YSU. They expect at least 8 wins per season. Only took Pelini two years to get then in the NCG. Wolfe man struggled to get them in the playoffs.

Wolford is regarded as a very good OL coach. The fact that he comes to us from the NFL won't hurt either. Players like a coach who have been at the next level because they know what is needed to get to the next level. I have to believe that this will help with recruiting. Plus Wolford likes athletic OL. Wolford would a solid B+ hire for us. While we might could have found someone better, we easily could have hired someone a lot worse. I'm good with this (not that anyone would care LOL).

Let me break it to you people who are not happy with the Wolford hire...SC is not in a position to hire a OL coach the college football world is coveting

Why not? Money talks more than anything. That's how the Clemmons got their assistants. A lot of people talk like our program is non redeemable.

Reactions: lostcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT