ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder why Bobo didn't ask to bring his own staff?

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
This is off the cuff, and it may mean nothing, but when you revamp a staff after a bad season it seems like it would be normal to allow a new OC to hire his own staff. Instead, we are asking Bobo to take over with the same offensive line coach, TE coach, RB coach and WR coach. I am guessing that Bobo, McClendon and Brown know each other, but did they coach together? What if the chemistry is not right between them?

I am sort of neutral on the hire - I want to see what we put on the field next year. If anything, I am leaning towards skepticism, but secretly hopeful.

Will the assistants make a difference for Bobo?

Agree with the OP. I'm wishing and hoping for the best. Right now, things could stay much the same in the win column as last year OR we could win 6-8 games. 'Hold On! We're Coming!'

Reactions: NetworkX
Good question. Sounds like we hired him primarily to call plays and coach QBs. Personally I think we'll see vast improvement in those areas considering there's no where to go but up. Guess we'll see if we can run the football. Not as optimistic about that with the staff in place

If the defense can hold an opponent to 20 points or less, and our dbs have a pulse, we may win 6-7 games. I have no problems with the Bobo hire.

Reactions: NetworkX
offensive coordinator Doesn't hire his own staff... may have some imput if the previous staff had been fired.. head coach does all the hiring...I could be wrong..

offensive coordinator Doesn't hire his own staff... may have some imput if the previous staff had been fired.. head coach does all the hiring...I could be wrong..
I would think an OC would make their own hires with the input of the HC, but maybe I've been in the business world too long.

HC is in control totally of who he wants on staff. A new coordinator may have suggestions for open positions, but it is HC call. This situation says two things. One is that Muschamp doesnt feel that play calling was an issue but that he had to make a change to please an upset fan base. Two, he thinks the cocaches on his offensive staff are more than capable

Good question. Sounds like we hired him primarily to call plays and coach QBs. Personally I think we'll see vast improvement in those areas considering there's no where to go but up. Guess we'll see if we can run the football. Not as optimistic about that with the staff in place
I did like his comments in his on air interview with Heath Cline. He said we do need to be able to run it but he did not want to see a run into a defense set up for it. How many zero or one yard runs up the middle did we see this past season?

This is off the cuff, and it may mean nothing, but when you revamp a staff after a bad season it seems like it would be normal to allow a new OC to hire his own staff. Instead, we are asking Bobo to take over with the same offensive line coach, TE coach, RB coach and WR coach. I am guessing that Bobo, McClendon and Brown know each other, but did they coach together? What if the chemistry is not right between them?

I am sort of neutral on the hire - I want to see what we put on the field next year. If anything, I am leaning towards skepticism, but secretly hopeful.

Will the assistants make a difference for Bobo?
Offensive Coordinators don't hire staff.. The head coach hires staff.. His job is to install the offense, coach quarterbacks, and call plays.

Reactions: rogue cock
I did like his comments in his on air interview with Heath Cline. He said we do need to be able to run it but he did not want to see a run into a defense set up for it. How many zero or one yard runs up the middle did we see this past season?
Agreed. We have been trying to run just for the sake of running. Playcalling should be an improvement and what you mention pretty much falls under that. Another concern tho is getting a yard when we need a yard. That I'll just have to wait and see

HC is in control totally of who he wants on staff. A new coordinator may have suggestions for open positions, but it is HC call. This situation says two things. One is that Muschamp doesnt feel that play calling was an issue but that he had to make a change to please an upset fan base. Two, he thinks the cocaches on his offensive staff are more than capable
If true, that's yet another indictment of his coaching abilities

Silly ... of course the HC hires staff. But wouldn't a really good OC want to bring some guys with him to install his system?

We didn't just hire him to call plays. He has to install his system which means he has to teach the assistants on staff or bring his own. Seems like it would work better if you bring at least some of your own staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT