ADVERTISEMENT

You know what USC's problem is?

I don't know about never threatened. We were up 14-13 in the 3rd quarter. We lost the game 21-14. Seems like their TE was killing us in the 4th quarter if I remember correctly.
Once they had their foots on our throats, we were like rag dolls, even while we were still ahead. Hilger owned us in the second half.

The problem is that we have never gotten The Guy. The Guy is that young coaching phenomenon who is good enough to get a struggling program on the right track and proprietary enough to stay with that program as its owner. I'm talking about a Vince Dooley type. He was The Guy at Georgia. Darrell Royal was The Guy at Texas. Broyles was The Guy at Arkansas. Danny Ford was The Guy at UPC, although the school and he parted company. They were fortunate enough to get The Guy again - a fellow who, once things are going the right way, has no ambitions to leave. Now look, we're just getting started with Muschamp. He's still under 40. What if we turns out to be The Guy? It could still happen. But we've got to have that person who comes in young, gets it turned, and keeps a good thing going for 15-20 years.
Well, he certainly isn't going to turn it around in one season! It might be good to at least give him another season before you decide that he isn't "that Guy".:(

Well, he certainly isn't going to turn it around in one season! It might be good to at least give him another season before you decide that he isn't "that Guy".:(
You need to read more carefully and read other posts related to my post. At no point did I insinuate he isn't going to be the guy. In fact, when someone else corrected me on his age (45), I specifically said that he is still young enough to be The Guy.

This is what I meant when I said Carolina is a top job, and not because I'm biased. Yes, you can make the argument for places like Texas because you will make $10mm a year, and they have more money and resources than anyone, but they also have fans that think they should rule like it's still the '70's, while other schools in Texas are leveling the playing field, and the Horns can't beat TCU or Baylor. That said, the stress can be a literal killer. At USC (as we've discussed ad nauseum) there is no pressure, but you will still get a few nice rides, great and still improving facilities, and you will still be a multi-millionaire. Tom Herman is not that smart for a member of Mensa

Perhaps some may see it that way. The coaches probably look at the current roster, committed recruits, pedigree, conference difficulty, etc. it's like two guys offering you a set of keys. One is to a Ferrari with an empty tank of gas, the other is to a fully loaded Ford Pinto. Which would you choose? I don't think we're looked at as a destination program but a stepping stone. The only way to change that is get a coach here that loves the university (maybe an alumnus), is very good at what he does, and will not be tempted by $$$. Now, who is that? Muschamp? Time will tell.

So, give Will the same amount of time they have had.
We may not have that much time.

Imagine the 5 streak and 11 win seasons as home, and right now we are adrift at sea-engine failure. The more unlucky/bad things that happen to us the further we drift away and will be harder to get rescued and less likely we will ever see home again.

We have to win 8+ next year or we aren't going in the right direction and that's how everyone outside of the routine fans that would accept what happened at clempson and break even seasons.

We are either serious about football or we aren't. The next 2 years will tell us a lot about what kind of fan base we are and what kind of program we will be.

We've never gotten tired of having mud kicked in our face when it comes to athletics. We've never grown tired of being the butt of funny jokes or labels. Last night is a great example, we got absolutely humiliated and today nothing has changed and there are not even talks about things need to change. Our administration is silent, the silence speaks volumes. We are what we are and our mindset when it comes to sports just isn't going to change. Sure we have a flash in the pan here and there but we don't know how to follow it up, how to build on it, how to keep it going. When it's over it's "oh well that was fun, it'll give us something to look back on for 50 years". That 5 in a row isn't much fun to talk about after last night. Nobody will even remember that 5 in a row now after that showing last night except for us and talking about it on here. It's been said that we need to get serious about our athletics but I don't think we ever will because we allowed ourselves to revert back to our losing ways after tasting success for a few years.
Ton of wisdom in this post, IMO. We've become accustomed to mediocrity. The 5 year streak is seen as an anomaly, the spanking as a return to normalcy. Hopefully, the culture will change. If it does, it will be somewhat slow and methodical..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT