ADVERTISEMENT

Your thoughts on SEC baseball tourney format....

We can let the bottom 6 play a tournament in Knoxville. Tell Tennessee to host because we’re prettty sure they’ll be in the bottom 6 most years.

Just kidding on this part.....

Reactions: mdsalt2004
I wish it was just a single-game elimination. We have to win 5 games in 6 days. That's ridiculous.

These tournaments are really about depth. All I really care about is that if we get 3 games, the big 3 pitch well. It would be nice to see someone come out of the pen or start a game out of the blue and do well just to build some confidence for the regional....

I like the ACC round-robin pods then one championship game. You can play a lot of games in a true double elimination 8-team tourney, potentially killing your pitching. The round robin plus one guarantees at least 3 games but no more than 4.

I absolutely abhor that format. Yes it helps with the pitching and guaranteed games. BUT, at times before a team even plays their second game they can know they are eliminated from the championship. It’s like getting participation trophies for making their tourney.

Acc format guarantees 2 games (4 three team pods). Winners of four pods advance to semis. Winners play for title. What I don't like is some teams play meaningless games if they don't win the "right" game. Two teams finish 1-1 higher seed advances.

I absolutely abhor that format. Yes it helps with the pitching and guaranteed games. BUT, at times before a team even plays their second game they can know they are eliminated from the championship. It’s like getting participation trophies for making their tourney.

THIS. I hate the ACC format. That's NOT a real tournament.

FWIW, the SEC Tournament format was initially designed to mirror the CWS. It is still that format, with a day of single elimination play in games added.

Reactions: pettyw
Other than allowing teams to pad their NCAA resumes, the SEC tournament is meaningless IMO. If you are clearly in the NCAA tournament, better to bow out of the SEC early and rest your arms.

Acc format guarantees 2 games (4 three team pods). Winners of four pods advance to semis. Winners play for title. What I don't like is some teams play meaningless games if they don't win the "right" game. Two teams finish 1-1 higher seed advances.
The ACC probably needs to guarantee two games to insure all the teams show up.

Reactions: pettyw
I agree with many of you in that I Don’t like the ACC concept and while many of you may see the SEC tourney as meaningless to those already in, the ACC literally plays meaningless games in their tournament.

While the opinion of most on this board seems to be “no way they’ll leave us out” we currently sit at 34 in RPI. That puts us on the front end of a 3 seed if the season ended today and the brackets went chalk on RPI. We could play ourselves into a 2, but mathematically we are not there yet.

A loss to Missouri and we’re going to slip to at least a 3. I think we make the tourney but if a team like Missouri snuck up and won the automatic bid, our RPI could keep us out.

Oh wow. That ACC Round Robin format is the stupidest thing I`ve ever seen. It tells you very little about how your team is actually doing when the games are pre-programmed.

Reactions: vehemon
Yeah, even if people don't like the SEC tournament format it beats the ACC any day. If we don't make a run this year it won't bother me because we'll be rested. I will say this: some teams (I don't care for) like UF and LSU take the tournament pretty seriously every year and if anything they seem more battle tested come playoff time.

Mine are top 8 teams make it. All double elimination. If you don’t make the top 8 you don’t go.

Kinda sucks to have the 5 seed and could be gone in 3 hours.
It's to reward the top 4 teams for constantly winning/sweeping weekend SEC series.

The play in format helps weed out other teams that might/might not have a 'good enough' pitching staff that could last in the actual NCAA tournament.

The regionals and CWS can be a very brutal tournament for teams that get by with only 1 or 2 good pitchers. This is a good litmus test for teams

The negative being you could play your heart out to win the SEC tournament and not be able to recuperate before the actual NCAA tournament.

If you say it, I believe it. We've still got people who think we ought to just lie down so we can get some "rest". I don't like that approach to competition anyway. But this ain't that kind of year.
Not this year.

The fellas needs to be put in the fire and see if they come out on top.
This tournament is a good litmus test.
If we can make it to the semi-finals/last 4 teams; we have a shot at CWS.

Here here. I am in favor of doing away with conference tournaments in all sports.
Yes, add a couple of regular season conference games. Conference tournaments used to mean something when they determined who advanced to further postseason play. That's no longer true in major conferences. I say drop 'em.

How big is that extra innng 1 run loss in game 3 vs Ole Miss now? We’d have a 1st round bye in the tourney had we won that one. We’d have the 4th seed.

Yes, trying to steal third with a left handed batter at the plate.....bad idea....3rd out.

Next guy up gets a base hit.

Last edited:
What’s better to win, the regular season or tournament? Does Florida have anything to prove since they are regular season champs, I wouldn’t throw nobody and get them rested for regionals , i figure same with us if unless goin deep in the tournament or winning it would get us a top 16 seed.

What’s better to win, the regular season or tournament? Does Florida have anything to prove since they are regular season champs, I wouldn’t throw nobody and get them rested for regionals , i figure same with us if unless goin deep in the tournament or winning it would get us a top 16 seed.

If you're good enough to win the SEC Regular Season, you don't have to worry about what you do in Hoover to secure a spot in the post season. A perfect example is our teams, when we knew going into Hoover that we had a National Seed locked up.

I agree with many of you in that I Don’t like the ACC concept and while many of you may see the SEC tourney as meaningless to those already in, the ACC literally plays meaningless games in their tournament.

While the opinion of most on this board seems to be “no way they’ll leave us out” we currently sit at 34 in RPI. That puts us on the front end of a 3 seed if the season ended today and the brackets went chalk on RPI. We could play ourselves into a 2, but mathematically we are not there yet.

A loss to Missouri and we’re going to slip to at least a 3. I think we make the tourney but if a team like Missouri snuck up and won the automatic bid, our RPI could keep us out.
We're playing for higher seed, and maybe a regional host spot depending on how well we and others do this week.

Isn't the ACC Tournament's pool play similar in format to the Little League World Series?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT