ADVERTISEMENT

Zeb to start...

Just saw it posted. It's the right thing to do. As bad as many of us wanted Luke to succeed it doesn't look like he gives us the best chance at this moment. Let's hope Noland stays healthy.
He said Luke was “iffy”…regarding his availability for the A&Mgame.

We almost beat them at College Station with Perry Orth; our stud future nfl tight end fumbled the ball with us moving in at the end for the tie and O/T.

At any rate, Zeb, them blitzing, whatever won’t be the story of this game. Our defense will.

We almost beat them at College Station with Perry Orth; our stud future nfl tight end fumbled the ball with us moving in at the end for the tie and O/T.

At any rate, Zeb, them blitzing, whatever won’t be the story of this game. Our defense will.
You mean our lack of defense.

Just saw it posted. It's the right thing to do. As bad as many of us wanted Luke to succeed it doesn't look like he gives us the best chance at this moment. Let's hope Noland stays healthy.
Luke is hurt

I hope Zeb does well. I have no dog in the QB fight other than wanting the one gives us the best chance to win. Up to this point, there’s probably not much difference bw Zeb and Luke in terms of impact.

If the man can lead us to a win over A&M, though, then he deserves a statue outside WB.

That Luke is patently and intrinsically incapable. The insinuation that an injury might be impairing his performance is rankling to those who would rather believe he simply blows.
Well that’s obviously a misguided assessment because it’s his first year of meaningful playing time. That being said, he‘s not an immediate difference maker like the Taters had in Watson and Lawrence. He needs more time and for all we know, he may not have ever been 100% at any point this season. I would give Zeb the start this week, but I would actually like to see our staff give our QBs a tighter leash and go with the hot hand on any given day. It’s that kind of season, we don’t have a seasoned, proven QB1.

That Luke is patently and intrinsically incapable. The insinuation that an injury might be impairing his performance is rankling to those who would rather believe he simply blows.
Okay I made a post based on your first comment but now I deleted it because I read this one. I'm assuming this doesn't really apply to me. I thought you were speaking to me because I didn't mention anything about his injury. I'm not making a call either way He may indeed be terrible and it has nothing to do with his foot but it seems like it would certainly help if he could run a little better. He was supposed to be this greased lightning dual threat kind of guy and he sure isn't that now. I was saying a couple weeks ago Connor Shaw would run circles around him.

What do you think?

Rumor is he has been playing on a broken foot.

Correction: I believe Luke broke his foot in fall practice not summer.

I believe Luke broke his foot in fall practice and may have ligament or tendon issues... It takes time for any ligament or tendon issues to heel... Remembered in the Tennessee game in the first half where Luke was under center and he seemed unconformable and fumble the ball. And I believe he had that same issue against Troy as well...

If true, and with Zeb still hurt, it doesn't show confidence in Brown being the 3rd string QB coming in and either play or Start against Tennessee...

I think we'll be fine, the DB's need to step it up and the WR's need to catch the f'cking ball when it hits them in the hand...

Remembered, coming into the season, we had a lot of questions with back up QB, WR, Offensive line and DB's... Sometime Carolina have memory loss between Spring practice and Fall practice with coaches have to fill in these position with inexperience players in lack of depth positions...

Last edited:
Doty is over throwing (pushing) his passes. Why? Is the foot injury contributing to this problem? If not the foot injury, can it be corrected with coaching and work? If it cannot be corrected, we’ll have to find another QB going into 2022. I wanted Doty to work out, but it might not.
For now, Zeb has earned the start. Can we get another win? Who knows?

Doty is over throwing (pushing) his passes. Why? Is the foot injury contributing to this problem? If not the foot injury, can it be corrected with coaching and work? If it cannot be corrected, we’ll have to find another QB going into 2022. I wanted Doty to work out, but it might not.

That foot problem could be the major problem with over throwing wide open WR's down the field....

Is pushing the football an issue with mechanics or fundamentals? can it be corrected? Or is it injury related?

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men?

But people on Gamecock Central don’t know what injuries players may have and who the best players, at any moment, are.

I just noticed that the Shadow is ready in case of a pandemic.

0512f22c5d5cc9254985c24f81756c823248c0-wm.jpg

Last edited:
It's the correct call to start Zeb.

You guys know I've been on the Doty train, and honestly nothing has changed in my mind when you look at in a 2-3 year time frame. That being said, we need to try something different right now and let him heal/mature. We desperately need a spark on offense. I'm concerned that Zeb isn't very mobile, but if we can call plays that can allow him to get the ball out quickly, we can neutralize some of the aggressiveness.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Correction: I believe Luke broke his foot in fall practice not summer.

I believe Luke broke his foot in fall practice and may have ligament or tendon issues... It takes time for any ligament or tendon issues to heel... Remembered in the Tennessee game in the first half where Luke was under center and he seemed unconformable and fumble the ball. And I believe he had that same issue against Troy as well...

If true, and with Zeb still hurt, it doesn't show confidence in Brown being the 3rd string QB coming in and either play or Start against Tennessee...

I think we'll be fine, the DB's need to step it up and the WR's need to catch the f'cking ball when it hits them in the hand...

Remembered, coming into the season, we had a lot of questions with back up QB, WR, Offensive line and DB's... Sometime Carolina have memory loss between Spring practice and Fall practice with coaches have to fill in these position with inexperience players in lack of depth positions...
I used to travel around playing tennis tournaments up to around 7 years ago, and broke my right foot on the first point of a match in the manner you describe; tendon, ligament, and planters plate. I finished the match and actually played decent, but it became majorly sore by the time I arrived home, which was around three hours later. There is NO WAY I could have played after that until the surgery healed, but Doty is much much younger so he may could have pulled it off.

Here is my question, and it’s not related to any of the drama or hysteria from Saturday night, and I have broached the subject many times before. I don’t give a tinkers DARN who plays as long as he is effective, I’ll even go with losing some games if the effectiveness is plainly there; see Todd Ellis in 86. But this is something that upset me way back when, and I’m going to have to go Ellis Johnson here.

God bless his soul, but Doty did not show ANY effectiveness last season; he didn’t. He threw some swings and an occasional 5-7 yard cross, but he showed no ability to manage or move an offense, and he showed NO speed, which was supposed to be his calling. His passes were both inaccurate and anxious.

Came the spring, and it was the exact.same.pattern. Now we’re deep into the season, and it’s still there; nothing has changed from late last season. Was his foot broken then as well?

I know I’ll get hate mail on this, but moving forward with #4 at QB at ANY point scares the beejeezus out of me. Dickie Demasi the 2nd.

Last edited:
Okay I made a post based on your first comment but now I deleted it because I read this one. I'm assuming this doesn't really apply to me. I thought you were speaking to me because I didn't mention anything about his injury. I'm not making a call either way He may indeed be terrible and it has nothing to do with his foot but it seems like it would certainly help if he could run a little better. He was supposed to be this greased lightning dual threat kind of guy and he sure isn't that now. I was saying a couple weeks ago Connor Shaw would run circles around him.

What do you think?
I think that your observation as to Doty's footspeed versus that of Connor Shaw is true today but was not always true. I might also add that Connor Shaw was no bolt of lightning but he had enough quickness and footspeed to extend plays. More importantly, he had great instincts: he knew when to hold, when to fold, and when to bolt.

I think that your observation as to Doty's footspeed versus that of Connor Shaw is true today but was not always true. I might also add that Connor Shaw was no bolt of lightning but he had enough quickness and footspeed to extend plays. More importantly, he had great instincts: he knew when to hold, when to fold, and when to bolt.

It's amazing to think there are some revisionist historians among our fans who will claim that Connor was not really all that good of a QB. His senior season was something to behold.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I believe what set Connor Shaw apart from Luke Doty before Doty's injury was his foot speed, his ability to be nimble in the pocket and his speed. Last year, Luke was a breath of fresh air, because he gave us what we have not seen in many years, a mobile QB. Right now, we are not seeing that same Luke Doty. Zeb at QB is a wise decision.

Reactions: king ward
I believe what set Connor Shaw apart from Luke Doty before Doty's injury was his foot speed, his ability to be nimble in the pocket and his speed. Last year, Luke was a breath of fresh air, because he gave us what we have not seen in many years, a mobile QB. Right now, we are not seeing that same Luke Doty. Zeb at QB is a wise decision.
With him back there against several of our upcoming opponents, the OL is going to have to perform way better than they have been. Vandy removed that need on the final drive Saturday evening.

All true. I think Doty was a little quicker last year and maybe he will be again. I still don't know if that's enough to make him a starting quarterback in the SEC.

I still think Connor was a bit quicker and certainly his decision-making was great. He could beat the defense to the corner on a third and 10 often enough to drive them crazy.

Im more concerned about who will be starting at RB. If anyone other then White, then we’re not even trying to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT