ADVERTISEMENT

“Wammy” Ward coming back as DC at USC

jake4290

Oct 2, 2011
Ray Tanner interviewed him personally. Wammy assured Ray that he had learned much since he was fired from his last job, and promised to bring Deke Adams with him. That sealed the deal for Ray. Rumor has it that Ray asked Wammy if he had B Mac’s contact info, since we still have no OC either....

This is about where we are as a program today, folks. Instead of firing our incompetent AD and getting a competent AD to interview and hire a winning football coach, we let Ray the Rube be conned again by agent Jimmy Sexton. We then learn that Ray cost USC $2M by not getting Muschamp’s revised and reduced contract signed. Now, that fool is trying to save USC $1.2M by requiring Beamer to keep Bobo. Meanwhile, Clemson and Coastal Carolina, both of whom are run by very sharp businessmen, are soaring to newer and greater heights, while we are being lead down the toilet by a fool, whom our BOT hired as AD because he was a good baseball coach. Sad but true!

Ray Tanner interviewed him personally. Wammy assured Ray that he had learned much since he was fired from his last job, and promised to bring Deke Adams with him. That sealed the deal for Ray. Rumor has it that Ray asked Wammy if he had B Mac’s contact info, since we still have no OC either....

This is about where we are as a program today, folks. Instead of firing our incompetent AD and getting a competent AD to interview and hire a winning football coach, we let Ray the Rube be conned again by agent Jimmy Sexton. We then learn that Ray cost USC $2M by not getting Muschamp’s revised and reduced contract signed. Now, that fool is trying to save USC $1.2M by requiring Beamer to keep Bobo. Meanwhile, Clemson and Coastal Carolina, both of whom are run by very sharp businessmen, are soaring to newer and greater heights, while we are being lead down the toilet by a fool, whom our BOT hired as AD because he was a good baseball coach. Sad but true!
Swing and a miss

I realize (or at least hope) that this is a joke. But the criticism of Tanner is utterly ridiculous. Funny that Ray was the one trying to get Whammy replaced with Muschamp.
Ok. I've got to ask. Is Ray a personal friend of yours? Or a family member even?

I enjoy your posts, so please don't take this as an attack. It's just that you seem to defend Ray at every turn. I understand he's done some good things with fundraising. But he owns a lot of the blame for the terrible state of affairs for our major men's sports during his tenure.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
I think the baseball team isn't as good as it once was. My post has as much value as the OP.

Tanner is the reason this shit show known as sc football exist
Wrong. we have a “shit show” because we had a coach who talked a far better game than he produced, players who didn’t play to their potential and were more concerned with their own stats, and assistants who didn’t coach the young talent into seasoned vets.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Tanner has made several bad hires. Right now, I can honestly say I don’t think he’s ever made a great (or even really good) hire.
I don't think that's completely fair. Holbrook was an excellent hire. He just didn't end up doing well. I wish I could remember who posted this, but what people are conveniently forgetting is that Holbrook was one of if not THE hottest name in college baseball at the time, and he happened to be on our staff already. If Tanner hadn't hired Holbrook, it's almost certain someone else would have scooped him up quickly.

I don't think that's completely fair. Holbrook was an excellent hire. He just didn't end up doing well. I wish I could remember who posted this, but what people are conveniently forgetting is that Holbrook was one of if not THE hottest name in college baseball at the time, and he happened to be on our staff already. If Tanner hadn't hired Holbrook, it's almost certain someone else would have scooped him up quickly.
Not all of us liked that hire at the time. And yes, someone would have hired him. I remember Tennessee was interested, but that makes my point. Tennessee baseball was the equivalent of USC football. They had to gamble on an assistant. USC baseball didn’t.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ok. I've got to ask. Is Ray a personal friend of yours? Or a family member even?

I enjoy your posts, so please don't take this as an attack. It's just that you seem to defend Ray at every turn. I understand he's done some good things with fundraising. But he owns a lo t of the blame for the terrible state of affairs for our major men's sports during his tenure.
Other than the hiring of Tanner....and holding onto Holbrook a year too long and maybe holding onto Martin a year too long, he has done a remarkable job in every other aspect. We are in the top 2 of the conference (and doing very well nationally) is student-athlete academic performance, financially we are much healthier than most schools despite being on a massive athletic facility improvement campaign, he knows how to raise the money to be able to go to the legislature and request additional funds, and we are one of the very, very few schools in the country that hasn't had to cut out athletic teams, we have had no compliance issues with the NCAA or the SEC. Tanner has run a healthy tight ship as the AD. That is why I support him so much. He is better than what many want to give him credit for. Have been in meetings with him and a couple of large donors and he is impressive in how he lays out what he wants to accomplish. I wish more fans could see him in action, doing all he does.

What we can see are the results on the field of Ray’s actions, and those results, especially in the football program, speak for themselves. The fact is Ray is a terrible judge of talent, and he has been overmatched and out-foxed by coaches and coaches’ agents on too many occasions. All at the expense of USC and longtime fans of USC. I won’t be surprised if Ray “retires” after the first of the new year....

Reactions: Sumptacock
Other than the hiring of Tanner....and holding onto Holbrook a year too long and maybe holding onto Martin a year too long, he has done a remarkable job in every other aspect. We are in the top 2 of the conference (and doing very well nationally) is student-athlete academic performance, financially we are much healthier than most schools despite being on a massive athletic facility improvement campaign, he knows how to raise the money to be able to go to the legislature and request additional funds, and we are one of the very, very few schools in the country that hasn't had to cut out athletic teams, we have had no compliance issues with the NCAA or the SEC. Tanner has run a healthy tight ship as the AD. That is why I support him so much. He is better than what many want to give him credit for. Have been in meetings with him and a couple of large donors and he is impressive in how he lays out what he wants to accomplish. I wish more fans could see him in action, doing all he does.
That’s all great. Certainly there is a lot to being AD at an SEC school. Unfortunately for Ray, an AD is judged just as much (probably a lot more) on the performance of his school’s major athletics programs.
Football is a disaster. The post-Spurrier coaching search that culminated in hiring a guy who couldn’t win at one of the 5 best jobs in the country was embarrassing. The extension and buy-out given to Muschamp stunk of incompetence.
Baseball fell from being one of the top 5 programs in the country to a team that regularly struggles to make the post-season.
Basketball had a nice 2-year run that ended with a Final Four...but has only made the NCAAs once in the Tanner/Martin era.
Maybe I’m wrong, but it feels like you are patting Ray on the back for doing the bare minimum of his job: finances, compliance, scheduling, etc. Something tells me we won’t see Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. lined up to bring in Ray as their next AD because we didn’t have to cut men’s swimming and diving this year.

That’s all great. Certainly there is a lot to being AD at an SEC school. Unfortunately for Ray, an AD is judged just as much (probably a lot more) on the performance of his school’s major athletics programs.
Football is a disaster. The post-Spurrier coaching search that culminated in hiring a guy who couldn’t win at one of the 5 best jobs in the country was embarrassing. The extension and buy-out given to Muschamp stunk of incompetence.
Baseball fell from being one of the top 5 programs in the country to a team that regularly struggles to make the post-season.
Basketball had a nice 2-year run that ended with a Final Four...but has only made the NCAAs once in the Tanner/Martin era.
Maybe I’m wrong, but it feels like you are patting Ray on the back for doing the bare minimum of his job: finances, compliance, scheduling, etc. Something tells me we won’t see Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. lined up to bring in Ray as their next AD because we didn’t have to cut men’s swimming and diving this year.
Ray is retiring when his contract runs out in 4 years. Baseball is back in good hands with Kingston. And those duties are without a doubt not the "bare minimum" of his job, they are the bulk of his job. If the ADs prime responsibility was hiring and firing of coaches, we could simply hire a search firm every 4/5 or so years.

And he was able to convince Staley to stay when her alma mater came calling offering her as much as we were. Not sure that would have happened with another AD...as Tanner and Staley have a very good relationship.

Ray is retiring when his contract runs out in 4 years. Baseball is back in good hands with Kingston. And those duties are without a doubt not the "bare minimum" of his job, they are the bulk of his job. If the ADs prime responsibility was hiring and firing of coaches, we could simply hire a search firm every 4/5 or so years.

And he was able to convince Staley to stay when her alma mater came calling offering her as much as we were. Not sure that would have happened with another AD...as Tanner and Staley have a very good relationship.
Ray is a fundraising ambassador who was foolishly given the AD job. He should be in another role. You live in fantasy land if you think Ray should stay in our AD role with our three revenue sports in the toilet. And you had the balls to stand up for JGH in the other thread? That's laughable counselor.

Thanks for the response. A lot to unpack here.

First, so you do have some working relationship with Tanner? Glad we're clear on that now. And I assume you meant the hire of Muschamp and not Tanner? If so, it wasn't just the hiring of him. It was also the double and then tripling down on him and getting constantly played by Jimmy Sexton.

All those other things you mentioned are nice. But they are not the main things that people are looking for. Football men's basketball and to a certain degree baseball drives the bus (even though like every other sport baseball loses money). Football and men's basketball pay for all the other sports. But if we continue to put the turd of a product on the field that we've seen the last 5 years or so, people are going to quit donating regardless of how good Ray supposedly is it fundraising. And like I said before, he's not the only one that has the ability to do that. And if we are in such good financial health, what are we spending that money on? We keep going cheap on coaching searches, even though we have the biggest head starts in the entire country.

As far as compliance, what am I missing? Did we not go on probation last year for improper contact with a recruit? Is there not a current investigation into our men's basketball -- as ridiculous as it is -- thanks to the Lamont Evans scandal?

Even you, yourself, have been saying here that Caslen and members of the BOT had to be in on the interviews since there is an obvious concern that Ray can't be trusted to do himself anymore. And so far, his hires have left a lot to be desired.

Whatever vision he supposedly has, I don't see it. If it's building new facilities, cool. But what about the program that uses those facilities? The only vision I've seen from Ray is that he had every intention of keeping Muschamp around and avoiding another hiring debacle until he retire comfortably.

Personally, I can't wait for that day to come so we can hopefully get a true professional as AD.

I wish Ray would “convince” Dawn to have her players Stand for the National Anthem.
If not, show them the yellow brick road back home. It is an embarrassment to the entire University.

Reactions: Sumptacock

First, so you do have some working relationship with Tanner? Glad we're clear on that now. And I assume you meant the hire of Muschamp and not Tanner? If so, it wasn't just the hiring of him. It was also the double and then tripling down on him and getting constantly played by Jimmy Sexton.

All those other things you mentioned are nice. But they are not the main things that people are looking for. Football men's basketball and to a certain degree baseball drives the bus (even though like every other sport baseball loses money). Football and men's basketball pay for all the other sports. But if we continue to put the turd of a product on the field that we've seen the last 5 years or so, people are going to quit donating regardless of how good Ray supposedly is it fundraising. And like I said before, he's not the only one that has the ability to do that. And if we are in such good financial health, what are we spending that money on? We keep going cheap on coaching searches, even though we have the biggest head starts in the entire country.

As far as compliance, what am I missing? Did we not go on probation last year for improper contact with a recruit? Is there not a current investigation into our men's basketball -- as ridiculous as it is -- thanks to the Lamont Evans scandal?

Even you, yourself, have been saying here that Caslen and members of the BOT had to be in on the interviews since there is an obvious concern that Ray can't be trusted to do himself anymore. And so far, his hires have left a lot to be desired.

Whatever vision he supposedly has, I don't see it. If it's building new facilities, cool. But what about the program that uses those facilities? The only vision I've seen from Ray is that he had every intention of keeping Muschamp around and avoiding another hiring debacle until he retire comfortably.

Personally, I can't wait for that day to come so we can hopefully get a true professional as AD.
You make some good points. I agree....and have said....that Tanner has not done well in the more public aspects of his job, which is hiring coaches....especially football. From my understanding, we have completely cooperated in the Evans investigation with all parties....that one hit all schools by surprise. Yes Caslen and the Board put themselves into the coaching search....and that may have been a huge mistake (but I am not getting into that issue). Regarding the final point, you will get your wish.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

You are spot on!

Actually I heard we're getting co- defensive coordinators Wally Burnham's coming out of retirement and him and whammy will take turns calling the defensive plays. We're also getting Sparky Woods out of retirement as well to coach the offense. Ya know every "veteran" voice helps😣

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tanner has made several bad hires. Right now, I can honestly say I don’t think he’s ever made a great (or even really good) hire.
Yep. I'm having major doubts about Kingston too. Barely made the SEC tournament in 2019 and worst of all-Ray hired him.

Actually I heard we're getting co- defensive coordinators Wally Burnham's coming out of retirement and him and whammy will take turns calling the defensive plays. We're also getting Sparky Woods out of retirement as well to coach the offense. Ya know every "veteran" voice helps😣
Ray doesn’t want anyone to “poach” our assistant coaches either....

You make some good points. I agree....and have said....that Tanner has not done well in the more public aspects of his job, which is hiring coaches....especially football. From my understanding, we have completely cooperated in the Evans investigation with all parties....that one hit all schools by surprise. Yes Caslen and the Board put themselves into the coaching search....and that may have been a huge mistake (but I am not getting into that issue). Regarding the final point, you will get your wish.
You seem to have some inside information. If you're not at liberty to say what it is, you definitely have peaked my interest. 🙂

What we can see are the results on the field of Ray’s actions, and those results, especially in the football program, speak for themselves. The fact is Ray is a terrible judge of talent, and he has been overmatched and out-foxed by coaches and coaches’ agents on too many occasions. All at the expense of USC and longtime fans of USC. I won’t be surprised if Ray “retires” after the first of the new year....
“Ray” has misjudged coaching talent once, ONCE. As did Texas and Florida, and Auburn. Yes those schools should have provided a strong clue, that was his ONE coaching mistake. Holbrook, as discussed previously, was a real no brained pick, that I would guess every AD would have made, he was the hottest #2 baseball coach in the country. There is NO home run hire until a couple of years after the fact. Holtz, Spurrier, Saben all failed in their first year in the pros. College coaches fail every year so I guess all those ADs are failures too? You do the best, sometimes you hit a home run sometimes you strike out. The secret is just keep swinging.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT