columbia
Washington State preview
Friday 6pm at the graveyard

Record 15-6-1 conference 5-5-1

vs tournament teams 4-5. 3-0 in tournament to raise to 7-5

Unranked

RPI 27

Regular season

Finished 6th in PAC 12 which the best league this season. Played several tournament teams in non con. Will not be awed by our ranking or talent. They have pulled three straight upsets in the tourney. Team of destiny? I think midnight is about strike and Cinderella will have to limp home missing a cleat!

NCAA Tournament

They have had a charmed and luck filled run. Don’t get me wrong they are a good team but things have fallen their way.

First round 1-0 vs Memphis
Somehow they got home field in this matchup despite the fact that Memphis had a better record and was ranked ahead of them in the polls and RPI.
On a wet field WSU outshot Memphis 16-6 with the only goal on an OK shot that slid through keepers hands. Dry field probably goes to PKs

Second round 3-2 over #1 seed UVA. Great win BUT UVA’s starting keeper was out with a broken jaw. Two of WSU’s goals came when the keeper mishandled one ball and misplayed another.

Third round vs WVU 3-0
They were clearly better. One goal scored when WVU defender made a horrrible back pass that was intercepted. Another goal came on an over the top pass. Knock on wood we have not given up an over the top goal all year.

Personnel
Good Lord they grow them tall out there. Only 2 or 3 players under 5’9”.

They will have distinct advantage in the air and on set pieces. However we have not given up a goal all year on a corner or set piece. We need to keep the ball on the ground,which is our style and strength.

• Morgan Weaver5’11” is there leading scorer with 14 goals
  • Bennett 5’10” Collins 5’11 and Gomera-Stevens 5’5” all have 5 goals.
  • They pose matchup difficulties with their height.
  • They are OK but not great on D. Tall keeper, Ella Dederick, and tall defenders, imagine that. Gives up 1 goal per match with 7 regular season shutouts, mainly in non con. Dederick has a 1.04 goals against average which is #98. Mikayla’s is. 30 GAA #4. Saves % .756. Which does not register in the top 150. Mikayla’s is .870 which is 14th.
  • Lastly, stop me if you have heard this before, I have only said it almost every match this year......They have only 3 subs who get significant minutes. The others are just stealing time. We have a deeper and better quality bench. We are fitter and faster. I don’t think they can last 90 minutes with us.

Last edited:
Defensive superiority note
In the last 14 matches we surrendered 2 goal for a goals against average of .146
In three NCAA Matches we have given up zero goals. This is not just goalkeeping.

We have only given 18 shots with 8 shots on goals.
Krzeczowski has only had to make one save that was anything more than a pop fly. Think about that, three games and only one semi serious scoring opportunity against us.
In those three games we have 6 goals 34 shots with 20 SOG.

The GC staff wet the bed on this. Zero pregame coverage of a National Title contender.
Thanks for your outstanding coverage throughout the tournament, winloseortie! Having a daughter that plays travel and high school soccer, I’m excited for this evening!

Looking at the girls lining up, Trust me guys WSU girls are tall BUT not nearly as fit as us. Don’t think they can hang for 90

Washington State preview
Friday 6pm at the graveyard

Record 15-6-1 conference 5-5-1

vs tournament teams 4-5. 3-0 in tournament to raise to 7-5

Unranked

RPI 27

Regular season

Finished 6th in PAC 12 which the best league this season. Played several tournament teams in non con. Will not be awed by our ranking or talent. They have pulled three straight upsets in the tourney. Team of destiny? I think midnight is about strike and Cinderella will have to limp home missing a cleat!

NCAA Tournament

They have had a charmed and luck filled run. Don’t get me wrong they are a good team but things have fallen their way.

First round 1-0 vs Memphis
Somehow they got home field in this matchup despite the fact that Memphis had a better record and was ranked ahead of them in the polls and RPI.
On a wet field WSU outshot Memphis 16-6 with the only goal on an OK shot that slid through keepers hands. Dry field probably goes to PKs

Second round 3-2 over #1 seed UVA. Great win BUT UVA’s starting keeper was out with a broken jaw. Two of WSU’s goals came when the keeper mishandled one ball and misplayed another.

Third round vs WVU 3-0
They were clearly better. One goal scored when WVU defender made a horrrible back pass that was intercepted. Another goal came on an over the top pass. Knock on wood we have not given up an over the top goal all year.

Personnel
Good Lord they grow them tall out there. Only 2 or 3 players under 5’9”.

They will have distinct advantage in the air and on set pieces. However we have not given up a goal all year on a corner or set piece. We need to keep the ball on the ground,which is our style and strength.

• Morgan Weaver5’11” is there leading scorer with 14 goals
  • Bennett 5’10” Collins 5’11 and Gomera-Stevens 5’5” all have 5 goals.
  • They pose matchup difficulties with their height.
  • They are OK but not great on D. Tall keeper, Ella Dederick, and tall defenders, imagine that. Gives up 1 goal per match with 7 regular season shutouts, mainly in non con. Dederick has a 1.04 goals against average which is #98. Mikayla’s is. 30 GAA #4. Saves % .756. Which does not register in the top 150. Mikayla’s is .870 which is 14th.
  • Lastly, stop me if you have heard this before, I have only said it almost every match this year......They have only 3 subs who get significant minutes. The others are just stealing time. We have a deeper and better quality bench. We are fitter and faster. I don’t think they can last 90 minutes with us.
Thanks!

0-0 at the half. Some questionable noncalls IMHO, especially that one where the Wash State defender pushed down Riley Tanner in the box.

Last edited:
Sounds like we controlled time of possession in 1H, but a lot of that was on our side of the field.

Another unbelievable noncall. Wash State defender again pushed down one of our players.

As God is my witness I have now seen the referees hose us in women’s soccer of all things. I did not think it was possible. One of our girls going in for a possible score and gets waylaid by the other player who never touches the ball and the ref lets it go. In any other soccer game in the country that’s a penalty kick. Even the announcers were perplexed. Oh well I’m not a huge soccer fan but I’m a huge gamecock fan.

Reactions: taiwancock
As God is my witness I have now seen the referees hose us in women’s soccer of all things. I did not think it was possible. One of our girls going in for a possible score and gets waylaid by the other player who never touches the ball and the ref lets it go. In any other soccer game in the country that’s a penalty kick. Even the announcers were perplexed. Oh well I’m not a huge soccer fan but I’m a huge gamecock fan.

Plus it is not just "physical" play. When you push the other player to the ground with your hand that should be a PK.

Reactions: tngamecock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT