ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone heard if there is substance to UT issue

EssoClub2

Jul 24, 2006
seeing a lot of noise about possible legal problems at UT surrounding Butch Jones. Any of you folks heard any opinions on the topic?

Wouldn't surprise me. The guy seems to be a little too intense and looks like he would steal his mother's pocketbook to win a ball game.

Reactions: LegalTiger
We could use coaches that recruit like Butch Jones and Dabo. Those guys seem to get it done on the recruiting trail.

You mean recruiters that land a zach bailey or a Brandon mcilwain or a j ckoowney or Jordan smith or Marcus latte more or Bryan Edwards or d Neal or S Bkackshear or Christian Pellage or S Pittman or Alshon Jefferey. Etc etc etc.
Brandon McIIwain and Bryan Edwards have not signed yet. I'm talking about their classes as a whole not just a few play makers over a span of 5 years. Clemson and Tennessee have been able to recruit highly ranked classes on consistent basis. I've always felt as though we had the better coaches but Clemson and Tenn. seem to have the better recruiters. If we want to make it to the next level we need to take our recruiting to the next level.

Brandon McIIwain and Bryan Edwards have not signed yet. I'm talking about their classes as a whole not just a few play makers over a span of 5 years. Clemson and Tennessee have been able to recruit highly ranked classes on consistent basis. I've always felt as though we had the better coaches but Clemson and Tenn. seem to have the better recruiters. If we want to make it to the next level we need to take our recruiting to the next level.

I agree somewhat but not sure I would trade our coaches for either of them. Actually I know I wouldn't. I do hope our next hire is a younger coach

I agree somewhat but not sure I would trade our coaches for either of them. Actually I know I wouldn't. I do hope our next hire is a younger coach

Anyone that would needs his head examined.

UT has landed great classes since Butch arrived, but they ALWAYS recruited well in the past with the exception of the Dooley years. Remember Lane Kitten bringing in top 10 classes? UT was a nationwide recruiting machine for decades under Majors and Fulmer cheery-picking every state and competing with all the top traditional schools in the country year in and year out. Some people must have short memories.

We have never come close to that status and can only hope to get there some day. But the closest we've come has been under our current coach, yet some want him to step aside and hire a "great recruiter". Truly mind boggling to me.

And yet look at Carolina's record vs clemsux & UT in the last five years. I'll take us.

Last edited:
Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
seeing a lot of noise about possible legal problems at UT surrounding Butch Jones. Any of you folks heard any opinions on the topic?

The way Butch looked @ media days, I wouldn't doubt it. His face was red as a beet and he appeared to have very high blood pressure IMO. I thought the expectations and pressure that comes with the pre-season hype was getting to him.

And yet look at Caolina's record vs clemsux & UT in the last five years. I'll take us.
Again like I said in order for USC to start to compete for titles USC needs to recruit BETTER. I feel as though we have the COACHING STAFF but USC needs to improve in bringing in DIFFERENCE MAKERS.

Again like I said in order for USC to start to compete for titles USC needs to recruit BETTER. I feel as though we have the COACHING STAFF but USC needs to improve in bringing in DIFFERENCE MAKERS.
Like Clowney & Lattimore, etc.? (see Carolinamyke's post above). Again, I'll take us, especially over dumbo. He can win the national champ in recruiting. Look how that's worked out during his tenure vs Spurrier.

UT
Like Clowney & Lattimore, etc.? (see Carolinamyke's post above). Again, I'll take us, especially over dumbo. He can win the national champ in recruiting. Look how that's worked out during his tenure vs Spurrier.
We had a defense that had several players that are now current NFL players and a few on offense. But not enough difference makers on offense or KO return game to take us to another level.

UT

We had a defense that had several players that are now current NFL players and a few on offense. But not enough difference makers on offense or KO return game to take us to another level.
Back to the original comment of wishing we had coaches like dumbo & butch jones. I dont. I'll take Spurrier any day..

I said recruiters like Butch and Dabo. I like our coaching but recruiting needs improvement.
I just gotta ask what the hell are you talking about? You dont think our coaches know we need to get the best recruits? Seriously? You think they sit around and dont go after the best recruits possible? Mind boggling.

I just gotta ask what the hell are you talking about? You dont think our coaches know we need to get the best recruits? Seriously? You think they sit around and dont go after the best recruits possible? Mind boggling.
Just imagine how good how are offenses could've been with Deandre Hopkins or Sammy Watkins teaming up with Alshon. That's 2 elite receivers on one team at one time. In order to get to the next level we need to sign players like these in one or consecutive classes. Not one in every 2 classes. It amazes me that as good as Spurrier is a play caller he can't get more elite offensive threats.

Just imagine how good how are offenses could've been with Deandre Hopkins or Sammy Watkins teaming up with Alshon. That's 2 elite receivers on one team at one time. In order to get to the next level we need to sign players like these in one or consecutive classes. Not one in every 2 classes. It amazes me that as good as Spurrier is a play caller he can't get more elite offensive threats.
Huh? We beat the brakes off Clemson without them. Again you dont know what you are talking about.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Huh? We beat the brakes off Clemson without them. Again you dont know what you are talking about.
Again you are missing the point. We beat them because we had the coaching and more talent on defensive line. But with those same offensive players on South Carolina's team we compete for national championships.

I want to think that we all believe that the coaches do go after the best talent, but it's the way they do it, or not do it, that bothers a lot of us fans. We've all read the comments from recruits who say they haven't heard from the staff in weeks or months. It seems like Spurrier just got on twitter this year, where other coaches have been using electronic medie for years. Etc, etc, etc. A lot of us just think they could step it up with their recruiting efforts.

Reactions: dcdayday
I want to think that we all believe that the coaches do go after the best talent, but it's the way they do it, or not do it, that bothers a lot of us fans. We've all read the comments from recruits who say they haven't heard from the staff in weeks or months. It seems like Spurrier just got on twitter this year, where other coaches have been using electronic medie for years. Etc, etc, etc. A lot of us just think they could step it up with their recruiting efforts.
I just talk to a coach from Bishop Moore here in the Orlando area 2 weeks ago. He said Clemson has much more of a presence here in Florida than South Carolina does. They really do a good job recruiting players in Florida.

Again you are missing the point. We beat them because we had the coaching and more talent on defensive line. But with those same offensive players on South Carolina's team we compete for national championships.
So clemsux & UT are going to be competing for national champs? because they're world class recruiters? LMAO

Actually no, I don't think they do think they need to get to the best recruits. They' like to but they don't think they need to. They actually think they can compete being middle of the pack in recruiting their conference every year and they are kidding themselves by thinking that. And because they believe that our, our sunshine pumping fanbase believes that too. That is the entire problem. If our coaches said "2+2 = 32.45" most of our fans would believe it.

Well, some of the younger guys we've hired over the years didn't work out either. As in Sparky and Fat Brad.

Last edited:

And how many times does someone have to respond to you here that you're only getting one side of the story from one party, and the other party CAN'T comment. And how many kids are gonna make nice comments about coaches he turned down rather than knock em and help the team he's committing to leverage more talented players???

I know, I know...but I keep banging my head anyway.

Reactions: chick75
I just talk to a coach from Bishop Moore here in the Orlando area 2 weeks ago. He said Clemson has much more of a presence here in Florida than South Carolina does. They really do a good job recruiting players in Florida.

Remind me how many high schools there are in the state of Florida? You're really gonna base your argument over which school recruits the entire state harder and more successfully by comments from someone involved with one high school???

And BTW, I can confirm to you first hand that when we were recruiting Gilmore, Clowney and the Dixons CU had much more of a presence at SPHS than anyone from USC had. Billy Napier was there practically every week...sometimes more than once a week. And how did that work out?

Do me a favor and do a quick scan of both teams rosters and the number of players each team has from the state of Florida and get back to me on that.

Thx

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
Well, some of the younger guys we've hired over the years didn't work out either. As in Sparky and Fat Brad.m

Exactly. And as of late some didn't fill the shoes of the people they were replacing either...as in Brown, Sands, Botkin, Adams, and even Elliot to an extent. These guys just aren't a relentless group of recruiters.

Actually no, I don't think they do think they need to get to the best recruits. They' like to but they don't think they need to. They actually think they can compete being middle of the pack in recruiting their conference every year and they are kidding themselves by thinking that. And because they believe that our, our sunshine pumping fanbase believes that too. That is the entire problem. If our coaches said "2+2 = 32.45" most of our fans would believe it.

Well I want to thank for the honest response.

At least now every fan here understands the nature of your convoluted rationale and flawed sense of reasoning, and just how weak your opinions are with this in mind.

Riiight. How about you show us some proof thats the way they operate. But you wont, cause its just you running your mouth again about something you dont have a clue about.

Remind me how many high schools there are in the state of Florida? You're really gonna base your argument over which school recruits the entire state harder and more successfully by comments from someone involved with one high school???

And BTW, I can confirm to you first hand that when we were recruiting Gilmore, Clowney and the Dixons CU had much more of a presence at SPHS than anyone from USC had. Billy Napier was there practically every week...sometimes more than once a week. And how did that work out?

Do me a favor and do a quick scan of both teams rosters and the number of players each team has from the state of Florida and get back to me on that.

Thx

I took the time to do it for him since it would likely not be to his benefit to do so... Lol

2015 Rosters

17 Florida Players for USC
11 Florida Players for CU

But, there "presence" in Florida is greater than ours right? Lol

Now, it will end up as "but CU's are higher rated guys". Maybe so, but that doesn't mean they will beat us on the field. By my count, they've consistently finished better than us in recruiting lately save a couple of years, but last I checked are 2-5 under Dabs' watch.

I understand it is easier to win with talented kinds and we all want to recruit with the likes of Bama, Ohio State, and the juggernaut that is Clemson, but ask yourself what is more important.. Winning in recruiting or winning on the field?? I'll take the latter and smile my ass off when we do it AGAIN with lower rated recruits :)

Final warning on the insults.
Well I want to thank for the honest response.

At least now every fan here understands the nature of your convoluted rationale and flawed sense of reasoning, and just how weak your opinions are with this in mind.
Anyone who disagrees is the one's who is convoluted and delusional. The coaches have made clear they go after the players they like regardless of star ranking, which is fine so long as they do a good job, but the last year shows they've done a lot worse job of recruiting the last few classes than they thought. There is really is no debate about any of that.
Riiight. How about you show us some proof thats the way they operate. But you wont, cause its just you running your mouth again about something you dont have a clue about.
Screw you. You show me proof that I am wrong and you aren't just running your mouth. You think things are one way. And I say they are another. Just by what comes out of our coaches mouths and how they operate in everything tell's one plenty. They don't hide how they operate just listen to them. I don't waste my time proving things people should already know and won't listen anyway.

Lol, doesn't matter what the topic is, a few clowns will use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at our coaches, players, fans, etc.

Anyone who disagrees is the one's who is convoluted and delusional. The coaches have made clear they go after the players they like regardless of star ranking, which is fine so long as they do a good job, but the last year shows they've done a lot worse job of recruiting the last few classes than they thought. There is really is no debate about any of that.

Screw you. You show me proof that I am wrong and you aren't just running your mouth. You think things are one way. And I say they are another. Just by what comes out of our coaches mouth and how they operate tell's one plenty.
Proof you are wrong is right in front of your face but you are to stupid to see it.Why dont you read the offer list on the best players out there and see if every school in the country has offered them. They go where they want to go and its usually already ingrained in them from friends and family and where they grew up. Not all my mind you but most. So shut your pie hole and get behind your team and quit being a jerk

Screw you. You show me proof that I am wrong and you aren't just running your mouth. You think things are one way. And I say they are another. Just by what comes out of our coaches mouths and how they operate in everything tell's one plenty. They don't hide how they operate just listen to them. I don't waste my time proving things people should already know and won't listen anyway.

Imagine that...someone on a message board thinks he knows more about coaching than our coach that has been coaching for about 40 years. Keep up the good work, tool. Like I said your just showing your ignorance and flawed sense of reasoning.

"Actually no, I don't think they do think they need to get to the best recruits They' like to but they don't think they need to. They actually think they can compete being middle of the pack in recruiting their conference every year and they are kidding themselves by thinking that."

This might not be dumbest thing I've ever read on this board...but it would have to be in the top 5! I'm not sure if you grew up being bullied, if your parents didn't spend much time with you or if you had/have a hard time with women (or men...just saying) all your life but it takes a special kind of "needy" person to make up crap like this and post it on a free open forum for anyone to read.
If it is attention you're seeking I don't mind doling out a little, especially to spread your flawed opinions. I'll help you by bumping this thread for a few days because I want as many people as possible to read this so they see for themselves the kind of bs that convince yourself is true, and then try to spread your ignorance as fact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT