ADVERTISEMENT

Burch visiting LSU today

No, I wasn't injecting politics into the discussion. It was more hyperbole. My issue is that when the governing body refuses to enforce the rules equally (or at all), we really don't gain anything by being goody two shoes, except for maybe a self-congratulatory pat on our back.

The programs that are serious about winning don't mind pushing the envelop and bending/breaking the occasional rule (Not law. There's a big difference.) Why? Because it works.

Don't believe me? Just look at what's been going on in Mark Emmert's NCAA. Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel and UNC walks scot free because they basically lawyered up. Penn State (and I believe Miami) had their penalties basically overturned because of NCAA overreach. And now a gunshy NCAA won't touch Clemson, despite all sorts of evidence and self-implication.

But wait! There's more! Mizzou was found to have committed infractions on a MUCH smaller scale and cooperated every step of the way, to the point of the NCAA gushing over them in public. So what happened? Of course, they hit Mizzou with the maximum penalties. Even the COI spokesperson admitted that they were probably sending the message that cooperating with them is now a bad thing.

Conclusion: The NCAA lacks the ability and/or willpower to fight schools that lawyer up and refuse to cooperate and are basically sending the message that it's now a free for all. Since nice guys finish last (like us), we might as well play the game as it is. And stop trying to play the game we wish we could.

The NCAA is just as crooked as some of these teams. Clemson is now in position (With their recent success) to keep the NCAA paid off. I think the ACC pools their money together to keep the NCAA from sniffing around. Think about what UNC did and not a thing happened.

Reactions: CockFamily6
I haven't read any of the other pages in this thread so I may be speaking out of ignorance. But the above makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Why would he pay for an unofficial trip to LSU and take his mom if he were going to sign with USC? My gosh, even if he drove it would still be relatively expensive.

I’m hoping it was to break up with a girlfriend in person.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Like everyone not named Jordan Burch, I don't what the kid's going to do. But Google Maps says it's about an 11 hour drive. Factoring in rest stops food and gas, it's probably closer to 14 hours. So, 28 hours driving on a weekend during the school year is a very tight window -- though not impossible.

So, assuming they flew, how can that not be pricey? The cheapest flight I could find on Delta or American was anywhere between $180-$450 per ticket. The higher side of that is fairly pricey for most people. Not to mention hotel rooms. And considering he already took his official visit there, that seems to be quite an investment for a trip to a school you supposedly have no interest in attending.
I reviewed a few pieces today from LSU writers and they all seem to think he’s flipping to them. FWIW and again it’s just an opinion or opinions in this case. I do have to give Muschamp credit here. Everyone and I mean everyone recruiting against us are telling kids we don’t have the staff to even be competitive in the SEC munch less win any championships. So I am giving him props for being able to sign what he does and the fact Burch is ours until he’s not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
If it is truly the intent to follow the rules and the law then it is not an act. If you mean it's sissy, anti-masculine and liberal to believe in such things then I accept service.
No, I wasn't injecting politics into the discussion. It was more hyperbole. My issue is that when the governing body refuses to enforce the rules equally (or at all), we really don't gain anything by being goody two shoes, except for maybe a self-congratulatory pat on our back.

The programs that are serious about winning don't mind pushing the envelop and bending/breaking the occasional rule (Not law. There's a big difference.) Why? Because it works.

Don't believe me? Just look at what's been going on in Mark Emmert's NCAA. Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel and UNC walks scot free because they basically lawyered up. Penn State (and I believe Miami) had their penalties basically overturned because of NCAA overreach. And now a gunshy NCAA won't touch Clemson, despite all sorts of evidence and self-implication.

But wait! There's more! Mizzou was found to have committed infractions on a MUCH smaller scale and cooperated every step of the way, to the point of the NCAA gushing over them in public. So what happened? Of course, they hit Mizzou with the maximum penalties. Even the COI spokesperson admitted that they were probably sending the message that cooperating with them is now a bad thing.

Conclusion: The NCAA lacks the ability and/or willpower to fight schools that lawyer up and refuse to cooperate and are basically sending the message that it's now a free for all. Since nice guys finish last (like us), we might as well play the game as it is. And stop trying to play the game we wish we could.

Like I said a while back, the NCAA likes a winner.

Okay. I understand. One point though. For purposes of a functioning society rules (like those of the NCAA) and law serve the same purpose. In this case, NCAA rules serve to regulate the behavior of member institutions and to insure there is no unfair advantage.

I agree the NCAA does a poor job of enforcement. However, people of wealth and influence are able to break the law just like some universities are able to break the rules without consequence. That is an indictment of our society and indicative of privilege.

So rather than become "rule breakers" ourselves I want to reform the NCAA to enforce the rules equally and without bias.

247 now predicting Burch to LSU (to be fair, they also had him to LSU the day before he committed here)

I’d like to have Burch but he isn’t changing our fortunes. Until we make a head coaching change the results aren’t changing. It’s a shame but we have ourselves (more accurate, the board and AD) to blame for hiring a known commodity. The whole world knew but we hired him anyway. I hope Burch ends up here but it wouldn’t change anything for our program in the near future.

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
I’d like to have Burch but he isn’t changing our fortunes. Until we make a head coaching change the results aren’t changing. It’s a shame but we have ourselves (more accurate, the board and AD) to blame for hiring a known commodity. The whole world knew but we hired him anyway. I hope Burch ends up here but it wouldn’t change anything for our program in the near future.

Dunno. He could help us have a pretty stout DL, which is half the battle in the SEC.

Okay. I understand. One point though. For purposes of a functioning society rules (like those of the NCAA) and law serve the same purpose. In this case, NCAA rules serve to regulate the behavior of member institutions and to insure there is no unfair advantage.

I agree the NCAA does a poor job of enforcement. However, people of wealth and influence are able to break the law just like some universities are able to break the rules without consequence. That is an indictment of our society and indicative of privilege.

So rather than become "rule breakers" ourselves I want to reform the NCAA to enforce the rules equally and without bias.
I would love for your last paragraph to come true. I would even be ok if the NCAA just said, "Look, weve effed up in the past decade under Mark Emmert. So we're moving on under new leadership. And from this day forward, rule breakers will be dealt with swiftly, harshly and fairly." And then back that up with immediate action.

Unfortunately, I think they've already crossed the Rubicon, so to speak.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
The only drama being perpetrated is from the knee jerk people on this board. There is absolutely no drama from Burch.. He committed to us. That decision wasn't a sour of the moment, I have to pick someone now, type of thing.. A lot went into that decision... Take a step back from the ledge and breathe.. He's giving you no reason to doubt his integrity.. He visited LSU, so what. Did I miss an announcement of him decommitting... Let him enjoy his self.. He is a Gamecock..... Simmer down now.

I'd previously said his integrity was not in question here, but I'll backtrack on that a bit.

IF, by some chance, he should reverse course and sign with LSU without having given our coaches sufficient notice to make necessary adjustments, that would show a lack of integrity. He committed here and our coaches took him at his word. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his verbal commitment stands.

I sure hope he signs with us and this visit was all for nothing. If he does switch, there are two posters in this thread who have some explaining to do, they basically are guaranteeing us that his committment stands and there is no way he switches. I hope they are right, but I suppose if they aren't you won't see them respond any further on this matter.

Explaining to do? Really? I have already stated everything that o have read that leads me to believe he will be here. I am no insider, but the info that is out there points he is coming.

Reactions: PC31
Explaining to do? Really? I have already stated everything that o have read that leads me to believe he will be here. I am no insider, but the info that is out there points he is coming.

There is no other info out there. What we know is this:
1. He verbally committed to us
2. He has since taken an unofficial, self-paid trip to LSU and took his mom.

That's it. Nothing else is known. Zip. Zero. Nada.

There is no other info out there. What we know is this:
1. He verbally committed to us
2. He has since taken an unofficial, self-paid trip to LSU and took his mom.

That's it. Nothing else is known. Zip. Zero. Nada.
Yawn

I know you like to get your info a day late or so, but there is plenty more info out there. As someone already posted, our insiders all believe he is coming here. Same with the other sites.

Reactions: PC31 and cockofdawn
I would not fault him for opting not to join up with Will Muschamp and his sinking ship. However, as a local recruit, once you hold a commitment ceremony and choose your home town school it should be over. Once you post a commitment video to your home town school, that stresses the importance of commitment, it should be over. I have a hard time believing someone would do those things only to flip to another school at a signing ceremony.

South Carolina has kept it’s staff mostly together, the staff Burch committed to. They’ve been recruiting Burch for the better part of three years. LSU has a new defensive coordinator. Their defensive line coach, who may or may not continue in that role, just finished his first season as a college coach in almost two decades. Other than Ed O, none of those guys have much of a relationship with Burch.

Kid like this may help on the football field, but not for your culture. Who wants a kid on the team like this?? What kind of message is he sending to his future teammates? You can guarantee he would sit out a bowl game in the future LOL

Reactions: agantt
I'd previously said his integrity was not in question here, but I'll backtrack on that a bit.

IF, by some chance, he should reverse course and sign with LSU without having given our coaches sufficient notice to make necessary adjustments, that would show a lack of integrity. He committed here and our coaches took him at his word. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume his verbal commitment stands.
As you should.... He deserves it .

Apparently, he's still getting visits from more college coaches Friday. I guess that's just the way it goes when a recruit doesn't just shut it down after making a verbal commit. And to punk USC after this would be an absolute public kick in the ballz, and would hurt for quite some time.

The visiting coaches info came from"the state", so I didn't want post the link.

You know I’m sure this kid stays up all night and worries himself to death about the opinions of old men on a college message board . Those who question his “Integrity” if he flips ?? If it’s Integrity you want , you’re in the wrong business . If this kid feels like LSU is a better springboard to the NFL then I sure he doesn’t give a flying F$&k about what we think about his “commitment” It is what it is . You wanna sign top recruits and compete for titles ?? Start winning . Your coach can’t win?? Fire him and hire a coach that will . AD makes a bad coaching hire again ?? Fire him and hire an AD who won’t . Ain’t rocket science yet in a century we still haven’t figured that out .

I would love for your last paragraph to come true. I would even be ok if the NCAA just said, "Look, weve effed up in the past decade under Mark Emmert. So we're moving on under new leadership. And from this day forward, rule breakers will be dealt with swiftly, harshly and fairly." And then back that up with immediate action.

Unfortunately, I think they've already crossed the Rubicon, so to speak.
They would have to reopen the UNC investigation.

He's supposed to be at the basketball game Saturday night sitting behind our bench. His attitude during the game should ultimately tell us how he stands. If he doesn't show up or cancels, well, we are USC after all.

Reactions: USC1st
He's supposed to be at the basketball game Saturday night sitting behind our bench. His attitude during the game should ultimately tell us how he stands. If he doesn't show up or cancels, well, we are USC after all.
I

Yawn

I know you like to get your info a day late or so, but there is plenty more info out there. As someone already posted, our insiders all believe he is coming here. Same with the other sites.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no such thing as an "insider"

Here's what I don't understand...why go through the whole ceremony and picking SC only to switch 2 months later? Not unless something happen between him and the coaches.

Reactions: okccock
Here's what I don't understand...why go through the whole ceremony and picking SC only to switch 2 months later? Not unless something happen between him and the coaches.

Nobody knows what's going on. He's notoriously tight-lipped, so there is no insider information to spread around. He hasn't uttered a word to the press. No twitter. His coach hasn't said anything. Literally nobody knows but him (most likely) and perhaps a few very close family members.

In his statements right after committing, he said his mom talked into USC. The fact that he took his mom to LSU makes it pretty clear where his heart is.

Whatever the case, we desperately need to hold onto him. More for how it would look than anything. He's certainly talented enough to step in and play/contribute right away, so it would hurt from that perspective, but it would just be a dagger to have him stolen out from under us at the last minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Maybe he’s just going out to LSU to see if he can catch them in an NCAA recruiting violation.
Seriously, I just don’t see how he doesn’t end up a Gamecock.

Reactions: okccock
Nobody knows what's going on. He's notoriously tight-lipped, so there is no insider information to spread around. He hasn't uttered a word to the press. No twitter. His coach hasn't said anything. Literally nobody knows but him (most likely) and perhaps a few very close family members.

In his statements right after committing, he said his mom talked into USC. The fact that he took his mom to LSU makes it pretty clear where his heart is.

Whatever the case, we desperately need to hold onto him. More for how it would look than anything. He's certainly talented enough to step in and play/contribute right away, so it would hurt from that perspective, but it would just be a dagger to have him stolen out from under us at the last minute.

Stop spreading the false narrative.

While he still seemed to mostly believe that Burch is staying here, Chris Clarke himself said on 107.5 the other day that the concern over this trip shouldn't just be dismissed outright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT