ADVERTISEMENT

I'll tell you what will turn recruits around

Bleedgandb3334

Aug 31, 2013
Gulf Shores, Alabama
I'll tell you what will turn recruits around, a plan for the future. Coach in waiting is the best option. We don't even have to make him the coach. We just have to have a plan.

I'll tell you what will turn recruits around, a plan for the future. Coach in waiting is the best option. We don't even have to make him the coach. We just have to have a plan.
as crazy as that sounds, I might agree with you. If defense improves greatly this year???? Make Hoke CIW. and see. Atleast it would give recruites some idea that we are thinking of life after SOS. And it does not have to be Hoke, I just threw his name out there.

So will pretty coed's and some cash to dad. Seriously, I don't have much fondness for the HCiW plan, it seems to fail more often than succeed. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have a 100% success rate.

However, to the OP's point, we do need something that recruits can hang their hat on, something that will be solid. However, coach Spurrier has been here 10 years now, the average HC in the SEC lasts about 5 years, I read that in an article from 2009, so it may be different now.

Recruits do need to understand that Spurrier won't be there forever, but at the same time no matter what school they go to, the head coach will leave at some point. Maybe not during their college career (the next 4-5 years) but he will leave at some point. It's just the way it is, so from that perspective, I don't see why it's such a big deal to them. I guess when you are 18, you're not thinking things through to the long term scenario.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
I don't think it would matter one bit. "Plan for the future" is not necessarily a winning plan. Look how great HCIW has worked for baseball... not.

What turns recruits around is being active with them. They lean to those they know the best and you don't get to know the kids with a phone call once a month or talking to them just when they are on campus. The relationship with a head coach can not be discounted. The position coach is important but kids look at the head coach and the relationship most times as the deciding factor. I am sure that someone will get this message sooner or later.....probably later when the wheels are falling off recruiting. I am proactive while some seem to be reactive. Reactive is bad....

We have a head coach...a Hall Of Fame Head Coach....who is going to coach until he's 80 because he's in great shape...physically and mentally. He's tired of hearing about this kind of crap being discussed. He will be more engaged than he ever has been as a head coach this year. That should put all this kind of talk to rest. Besides...it doesn't seem to work. Just creates a presence that can polarize the negative nellies that are ready to fire somebody with the first sign of adversity.

Coach Spurrier has earned the respect and the right not to have to deal with something like this.

What turns recruits around is being active with them. They lean to those they know the best and you don't get to know the kids with a phone call once a month or talking to them just when they are on campus. The relationship with a head coach can not be discounted. The position coach is important but kids look at the head coach and the relationship most times as the deciding factor. I am sure that someone will get this message sooner or later.....probably later when the wheels are falling off recruiting. I am proactive while some seem to be reactive. Reactive is bad....

you get it. Wish all of our coaches did.

CIW has to be a hot name to help with recruiting. Like Muschamp you know.

Coach in waiting deals have rarely worked out as planned. Don't think it is a good idea at all. First off, no coach above one of those rising assistant types is going to fill that role. As for Hoke......as long as he has been in the game, of he had what folks thought it took to be a head coach, he would have been one by now. My hope is that Ray is already working some back channels to see who would take it when Spurrier leaves. But with the money the program generates, we shouldn't be in a position to have to hire a guy who is willing to sit and wait for a year, or two.

Head coach in waiting does work.... Ie Jimbo FSU.

We need a plan.... Spurrier will be home in near future.... That's a fact.

When construction under way is completed this year we will have facilities second to none. We have a large passionate fan base. We have finally established ourselves as winners and should continue to be a factor in the East and dominate our state rival. We can match head coach salary with anyone in the state or conference. Have good recruiting opportunity in this state and border states.
Add it all up and we should have many good coaches lining up hoping for the head job at Carolina when Spurrier retires.
On the other hand, Spurrier has another good team this year and the wins return again and these same Spurrier bashers on this post will be singing his praises. They are becoming a pain in the ass. If we don't win a game this year my life won't end and I will still have respect for the Ole Ball Coach and will forever thank him for the great seasons and what he did for our program.

When construction under way is completed this year we will have facilities second to none. We have a large passionate fan base. We have finally established ourselves as winners and should continue to be a factor in the East and dominate our state rival. We can match head coach salary with anyone in the state or conference. Have good recruiting opportunity in this state and border states.
Add it all up and we should have many good coaches lining up hoping for the head job at Carolina when Spurrier retires.
On the other hand, Spurrier has another good team this year and the wins return again and these same Spurrier bashers on this post will be singing his praises. They are becoming a pain in the ass. If we don't win a game this year my life won't end and I will still have respect for the Ole Ball Coach and will forever thank him for the great seasons and what he did for our program.
I never bashed Spurrier. He's the best coach we've ever had! Recruiting takes a hit when a coach retires/gets fired. That's a fact. There's no debating that. I'm suggesting that we do something proactive to avoid a major hit.

Why doesn't Kansas State have this problem - the HC's age? Snyder must be pushing 80 and I never hear any crap talk from the Big 12 schools or the national media about when the ole coach is going to hang it up. Maybe it's because KSU doesn't have the a-holes in the SEC + Klempson to deal with that we have.

That is basically because KSU is rarely in direct competition for top notch recruits. Snyder is great at analyzing talent and finds those kids that maybe are not as high as they should be in the rankings. He also has brought in a ton of jucos over the years. And a lot of them were big time players coming out of high school. But the juco players kind of get pushed to the side when folks talk about recruiting

Here's the easy solution.....winning takes care of everything. Watch the dialogue change if we win some games this fall and get back in the mix for the SEC East. Suddenly Spurrier doesn't look so old and the future will look good because of all the guys coming back for 2016. A good year would also make it easier to address the 2-3 year comment as being made out of frustration......something along the lines of "as long as I'm winning and in good health, I see no reason to quit."

People have short attention spans these days. If we get back to winning, it will be easy to forget last year.

Reactions: AsianOrange

Spot on!

Rules have changed...HIW is not very popular now because the HCIW is now treated as an active head coach and is therefore restricted in off campus recruiting and contact. Plus the only situation that really ever panned out was FSU and that is only because Jimbo was patient.

The way to recruit now days, which actually has not changed, is all coaches including the head guy have to be very energetic and aggressive.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
Why doesn't Kansas State have this problem - the HC's age? Snyder must be pushing 80 and I never hear any crap talk from the Big 12 schools or the national media about when the ole coach is going to hang it up. Maybe it's because KSU doesn't have the a-holes in the SEC + Klempson to deal with that we have.
Recruiting expectations are much lower for KState. Snyder is a 'system' coach. It's not about the individual players, it's about plugging the players they have into the system. Everyone is on the same page on both sides of the ball. The KState staff exemplifies that and recruits know it. How do recruits really perceive South Carolina w/ Spurrier at the helm?

3 things bring players in:

-facilities
-winning
-coaches changing with times and actually fostering a great relationship with them before they get to college

Here's the easy solution.....winning takes care of everything. Watch the dialogue change if we win some games this fall and get back in the mix for the SEC East. Suddenly Spurrier doesn't look so old and the future will look good because of all the guys coming back for 2016. A good year would also make it easier to address the 2-3 year comment as being made out of frustration......something along the lines of "as long as I'm winning and in good health, I see no reason to quit."

People have short attention spans these days. If we get back to winning, it will be easy to forget last year.
Easier said that done, you need to recruit good players to win. You can't just rely on winning as your recruiting strategy when your opponents are doing more, because they are trying to win too.

I don't think it would matter one bit. "Plan for the future" is not necessarily a winning plan. Look how great HCIW has worked for baseball... not.
Or, look how well it worked at FSU- NATIONAL CHAMPS/ playoffs.

You don't know any better than anyone else how it would work for the football team or even what is going to happen with baseball.

I am not a huge fan of the HCIW thing. In my eyes the only thing that will help is WINNING. Get back to double digits in the win column, get the HBC to start talking smack again, get his swag back, show some promise for the future.. A trip to ATL.. That is what will help recruiting. All this HCIW, plans... PFFT... Kids want to come here to be a part of Spurrier's magic.. We need him to pull a rabbit out of his hat not a successor coach.

Easier said that done, you need to recruit good players to win. You can't just rely on winning as your recruiting strategy when your opponents are doing more, because they are trying to win too.
We have plenty of talent to win now. We have not been recruiting poorly the past 3-4 years. We lost a couple kids last cycle that might have helped, but we GOT the ones we really needed at the positions where we HAD to have immediate help.. If we run up a good record early, it will give us some steam in recruiting... We need to surprise people THIS season and get some momentum. Phage some other SEC out recruited us? Sure... They always have, always will. Until we builds a dynasty of DECADES of winning, CHAMPIONSHIP football, we will never compete with Bama, UT, UGA, UF... On the recruiting trail. We have to get the talent we need to compete, and hope our guys find a few diamonds the other guys over looked that can carry us to success, then we have to develop our talent better. That is how a team like ours wins- by taking the 3-4* kids and developing them into a team that can play with the 4-5* kids that Bama, Auburn, UF, UT, UGA... Have recruited. It takes a special group with some leaders to get it done. We will see if we have that this year or not. We had it with guys like Latti, Shaw, Gilmore, Clowney, Swagg... Now we need the next generation to build off that.

HCIW is dead. The NCAA changed the rules a few years back, so that a head coach in waiting is treated the same as a head coach in terms of recruiting limitations. He can't get off campus to recruit as much as other assistants. That's a deal killer and the reason you don't see anybody else with an official one right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT