ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley to SoCal

Tennessee's coach is an OU alum. His name is being mentioned to fill that job.

I’m guessing this is as much about opportunity as it is money. With Oklahoma and Texas entering the SEC, there’s a good chance he’d be facing 2 or 3 elite teams each season, plus 3 or 4 more who can beat you on the right Saturday.
USC can be the lead dog in the PAC.
Chip Kelly has UCLA playing some good ball and Oregon has been a fixture at the top of that conference for a while. I think he’ll struggle to overcome those teams at first. As someone mentioned, he’s never built a program before. Will be interesting to see how he does. I just don’t see the SoCal job as a great job. I guess people get intrigued by Hollywood.

Chip Kelly has UCLA playing some good ball and Oregon has been a fixture at the top of that conference for a while. I think he’ll struggle to overcome those teams at first. As someone mentioned, he’s never built a program before. Will be interesting to see how he does. I just don’t see the SoCal job as a great job. I guess people get intrigued by Hollywood.
They are not thrilled with Kelly at UCLA and he has been rumored for Washington. OTH, Utah and Arizona State are formidable, and Kelly at Washington would lift them.

I don't get this move either. He must be trying to avoid the SEC. Heck, go to Miami if you want glam.

Edit: Looks like Kelly might survive, but the Riley news could reinvigorate their prior disgust with his performance. And, he may move.....Oklahoma, anybody?

Last edited:
Reactions: nocdoc
What puzzles me is why leave a destination program where at this time you can auto pilot your way though the season, just to go to another destination program. Sure, USC is currently down, but are still considered one of the top jobs in CFB.
If it's money, you just can't tell me OU can't match any other monies on the table.

How much they paying him? Personally I don’t get the whole USC thing. I think LSU would be a much better job and they were willing to pay out big money.
I see the allure in USC. For one it’s USC and while many country folk in SC don’t like the thought, out of all the places I have visited in the US, LA or San Diego would be my two places to move. The west coast is awesome. Not to mention he is sitting on a recruiting hotbed. Throw in the relatively easy route to the CFP table and it has a lot of allure. I would put it equal to LSU but LSU does play in the sec which is a blessing and a curse. These days it may be more of a curse.

Last edited:
USC-Left vs Oklahoma. Only for stupid money. USC-Left does not have the facilities of OK. Stadium is old and Off Campus. Practice fields at USC are subpar.

lifestyle is SoCal is legendary. That is the only difference making a person look at USC-Left. Very fertile recruiting turf and you don’t have to face the SEC WEEK after WEEK. Those are the advantages.

Tradition is about the same maybe with a slight nod to SC.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
They are not thrilled with Kelly at UCLA and he has been rumored for Washington. OTH, Utah and Arizona State are formidable, and Kelly at Washington would lift them.

I don't get this move either. He must be trying to avoid the SEC. Heck, go to Miami if you want glam.

Edit: Looks like Kelly might survive, but the Riley news could reinvigorate their prior disgust with his performance. And, he may move.....Oklahoma, anybody?
Reading Harsin from Auburn might be the top choice at Washington. Chris Peterson is said to be the most influential person in the search and Harsin would’ve been the hire originally if the timing was right. It’s very possible the Auburn job comes open.

Brent Venebles name already being mentioned at VT. Maybe this year he’ll get an opportunity to jump.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
USC-Left vs Oklahoma. Only for stupid money. USC-Left does not have the facilities of OK. Stadium is old and Off Campus. Practice fields at USC are subpar.

lifestyle is SoCal is legendary. That is the only difference making a person look at USC-Left. Very fertile recruiting turf and you don’t have to face the SEC WEEK after WEEK. Those are the advantages.

Tradition is about the same maybe with a slight nod to SC.
Facilities upgrade had to be a part of the agreement, guaranteed.

How much they paying him? Personally I don’t get the whole USC thing. I think LSU would be a much better job and they were willing to pay out big money.
I think the road to the top is easier in the Pac 12. Also, LA has a lot of recruiting and media advantages. I would think that NIL action would be rampant there. It is a legacy program after all.

When USC is rolling they can be Alabama west. They get all the west coast recruits and have little standing in the way of the playoffs. A brilliant move on his part.
Riley isn't Saban though. Riley has won 1 bowl game and 0 CFP games and no NC titles. Saban had won a 1 NC when he came to Bama.

He inherited a strong program with OU.

He has to right the ship at Southern Cal which isn't the gig it used to be. Pac-12 has a lot of parody. A lot of former elite programs are going through wake-up calls right now. Texas is struggling with their offensive guru in the Big 12. Look at how FSU and Miami struggling in the ACC. Nebraska in the Big 10 "whatever it is called" division.

I’m guessing this is as much about opportunity as it is money. With Oklahoma and Texas entering the SEC, there’s a good chance he’d be facing 2 or 3 elite teams each season, plus 3 or 4 more who can beat you on the right Saturday.
USC can be the lead dog in the PAC.
My feeling is OU joining the SEC made Lincoln think "I'd better get while the getting is good".

The politics and taxes of Cali are fine. But the traffic and earthquake threat in LA....Oklahoma seems dusty with too much violent weather...and as I've said before, Louisiana just seems like a literally dirty state. He should've just came here last year.

One article says OU looking at Kingsbury. Didn't he almost get fired at Texas Tech? If Bob Stoops was ever going to get back into the game, now is the chance.

Reactions: TAV31
Reading Harsin from Auburn might be the top choice at Washington. Chris Peterson is said to be the most influential person in the search and Harsin would’ve been the hire originally if the timing was right. It’s very possible the Auburn job comes open.

Brent Venebles name already being mentioned at VT. Maybe this year he’ll get an opportunity to jump.
Hes not leaving. He has gone on record more than once saying he is happy and at this time has no desire to be a head coach. He is to into the defensive side of the game. Not to mention I think his son still has eligibility.

To me this whole move seems like avoiding the SEC.
In this day and age, as a coach, I would to. The sec brings more negative sides than positive. Money is not an issue at so cal so that’s mute. The route to the national championship is much easier and that is the name of the game.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Facilities upgrade had to be a part of the agreement, guaranteed.
They already reduced the capacity of the stadium by putting in a club/pressbox tower on one side and converting all the seating areas they are using to armchair seats. Seated more than 93,000 prior to 2018. Seats 77,500 now - but it's nice.

Huh, you don’t think massive $ is involved? SC is Private school so it’s likely full compensation will not be revealed.
Sure and massive amounts of money were rumored with LSU and could have come from Oklahoma as well once the move happened if he was successful in the SEC.

Ok said they would match LSU with an extension. At least that’s what multiple sources reported. I can’t imagine it would have been less than both of those. It would at least have to be even I think.

What puzzles me is why leave a destination program where at this time you can auto pilot your way though the season, just to go to another destination program. Sure, USC is currently down, but are still considered one of the top jobs in CFB.
If it's money, you just can't tell me OU can't match any other monies on the table.
Yeah. It’s almost like candidates offered the SoCal job become hypnotized by the historical value of the program and money, I guess. It’s like they can’t say no, regardless of the fact that nobody has turned the program around(consistent with their expectations) for well over a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT