ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley to SoCal

LSU is a God awful job partially for the reasons we are a GREAT job. Anyway, I’d rather be in The Angels too with buckets of money to burn……

What puzzles me is why leave a destination program where at this time you can auto pilot your way though the season, just to go to another destination program. Sure, USC is currently down, but are still considered one of the top jobs in CFB.
If it's money, you just can't tell me OU can't match any other monies on the table.

It's called SEC.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I'm surprised. Leaving one good job for another good job. But, some coaches simply like to go somewhere else just for a change. Or a challenge. Who knows?

What puzzles me is why leave a destination program where at this time you can auto pilot your way though the season, just to go to another destination program. Sure, USC is currently down, but are still considered one of the top jobs in CFB.
If it's money, you just can't tell me OU can't match any other monies on the table.
Maybe he'd rather live in Malibu or Santa Monica than Norman. I sure would.

I certainly get the reasons to leave OU. USC-Left is the surprise. I know they renovated the LA Coliseum. Boxes are nice. But practice facilities are awful. They need to spend another 300 million to get to parody with even our facilities. They have the money. The problem there is finding the property. Just to match us, they may have to spend close to a billion because of the value of property.

Blech. Why leave OU or turn down LSU to go coach in a place where they don't even care all that much about football. Plus, the traffic.
Southern Cow use to be a coveted coaching job but I don't know if that is still the case today.

Maybe he'd rather live in Malibu or Santa Monica than Norman. I sure would.
With $10-12 million a year, plus the $30-50 million he likely already has, hell yes. Cali has some sweet real estate especially with an unlimited budget. As far as the people (Clay Travis) saying he’s afraid of the SEC, gtfoh. The SEC is awesome to play in I’m sure, and there are some great games every week for sure, but it’s been 2 giants and the 12 dwarves for too long now. This year, it’s pretty much 1 considering Bama’s usual teams. As for Southern Cal, all the talent you need within 100 miles, and they used to embarrass the SEC when they were the top of the CFB heap.

Also, we gotta stop propping up the SEC when many of our own fans still don’t think
we belong in it. That is infuriating in 2 ways because we do, and we won’t get the hell out of our own way so we can play like it. We did one time……

How do you know his political affiliation. He may be left and the politics wouldn’t bother him. Hell I’m extreme right and I would move to San Diego tomorrow if I had a job that supported me.
No one will bother you politically. Most of them don't care. SD is nice....but housing is stupid expensive.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hes not leaving. He has gone on record more than once saying he is happy and at this time has no desire to be a head coach. He is to into the defensive side of the game. Not to mention I think his son still has eligibility.
His son can hit the portal, not an issue

This is the one job Venables would take if being a HC is something he wants to do. It checks all the boxes for him. I can see Oklahoma being very interested in him being they need a much better defense than what they have now for the SEC.

I don’t know. Hmmm wagons or Song Birds? Prairie or warm Sun. Hmmm

This is the one job Venables would take if being a HC is something he wants to do. It checks all the boxes for him. I can see Oklahoma being very interested in him being they need a much better defense than what they have now for the SEC.
A lot of bad blood there from my understanding. I don’t think he like how he left ok. At least that’s my understanding.

I'm sure fear of the SEC competition will be brought up.

Edit: Ha, posted at the same time as you, Jon.
TIFWIW, but people blame Ray for not hiring Lincoln. What I heard from back then was that Lincoln pulled away from the job, that he thought rebuilding in the SEC was too tough. FTM, Fuente felt the same way and took the easier path at VT.

Some word leaking out now that he wasn’t happy entering the SEC as either HBC of OU or LSU.

Seems to be a constant.

I don’t think he’ll be successful at USC-W. What’s going to be interesting now is how the dominoes fall.

Heupel is an OU alum. Will he leave UT? I think he might.

LSU painted themselves into a corner with that monster offer to Riley, now what do they do? They’d originally agreed to terms with Herman before he used that as leverage for the Texas job, do they offer him again?

Lots of openings, there aren’t lots of HBC’s who can step in and win.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone take a chance on Deion Sanders, he’s done a great job with little to work with.

TIFWIW, but people blame Ray for not hiring Lincoln. What I heard from back then was that Lincoln pulled away from the job, that he thought rebuilding in the SEC was too tough. FTM, Fuente felt the same way and took the easier path at VT.
What the Oklahoma boards were saying at the time is that Riley told Stoops that he had a good interview and was interested in the position....and then Stoops let him know of his future plans and let Rileyy know he was the heir apparent. That was about the time that Riley withdrew his name from consideration.

I have to say I didn't see this coming. When he said he wasn't going to be the next coach at LSU, I figured he would stay at OU. He is stepping into a potentially better situation. If you recruit at USC, then Oregon is the only threat. There will be less pressure at USC to make the playoff, so he has a good five years to become the jewel of the PAC 10.

Reactions: rogue cock
I have heard taxes and housing prices mentioned as negatives for So.Cal. but those are of little concern when you are making what Riley will be making. No comparison on the weather but you better be able to get along and find something in common with lefties because the conservatives are few and far between. On the other hand, folks in Oklahoma are the salt of the earth, so it would be a mixed bag for me. Not sure I see going from OK to USC as a little bit of a step down, but then, there is that weather and coastline.....

I have said it and I will say it again. Someone posted above that they thought he didn’t come here because of rebuilding in the sec. Think about it from a non bias perspective, as a want to be coach. Would you rather compete with Alabama, Georgia, texas am, and the likes while trying to rebuild? Or does going somewhere like So. Cal. Where the money for pay and the program is the same as any SEC school? The only competition is Oregon and most of the young kids want to go to USC when they are good. USC can recruit itself when they are winning. I just think In modern football as a head coach, there are zero upsides to coaching in the SEC compared to a top program not in the SEC.

This is a home run move by Riley and SoCal. The Trojan job is a premier job and one of college football's most storied programs. If you have actually been to a game at the LA Coliseum you would know it is truly an SEC-like gameday experience on the west coast. Trojan fans are many, loyal, football knowledgeable and have high expectations.

Also think some folks in this thread making some ill-informed comments about their athletic facilities. The school just spent $315 million on the LA Coliseum and the on-campus McKay Center and Heritage Hall are very impressive. Also remember, in LA weather you literally practice outdoors every single day.

The LA Coliseum sits across the street from campus and is part of Exposition Park, which is home to the new stadium for the LA Galaxy soccer team, Museum of Natural History, the California Science Center and the new, $1 billion George Lucas Museum of Narrative Art. The entire complex is getting a massive overhaul in preparation for LA to once again host the Olympics in 2028.

He will quickly have this program back at the top of the Pac12.

Last edited:
Reactions: caughtlookin
I have heard taxes and housing prices mentioned as negatives for So.Cal. but those are of little concern when you are making what Riley will be making. No comparison on the weather but you better be able to get along and find something in common with lefties because the conservatives are few and far between. On the other hand, folks in Oklahoma are the salt of the earth, so it would be a mixed bag for me. Not sure I see going from OK to USC as a little bit of a step down, but then, there is that weather and coastline.....
40% tax rate is of no concern? I'm sure the scenery is great, but there are big negatives why companies are leaving the state. San Francisco and LA are becoming crime and homeless tent areas.

40% tax rate is of no concern? I'm sure the scenery is great, but there are big negatives why companies are leaving the state. San Francisco and LA are becoming crime and homeless tent areas.
I'm not sure where you got your information of 40% individual tax rate for California but that information is way off, to the point of being laughable.
This information is provided by Nerd Wallet. (See link for full list of state income tax rates for California individuals, years 2020-2021)

12.3%$599,013 or more

SIAP - Bob Stoops will be interim coach at OU until that job is filled.

DIdn't he do the same thing several years ago for OU for one bowl game ?
Here is something to think about, Could Bob seriously lobby for his brother Mark to take the OU job.

DIdn't he do the same thing several years ago for OU for one bowl game ?
Here is something to think about, Could Bob seriously lobby for his brother Mark to take the OU job.
He could and he might. But OU would have to hire an all-world OC if that happens and Mark would have to turn him loose. Certain expectations regarding offense have been developed out there.

Chip Kelly has UCLA playing some good ball and Oregon has been a fixture at the top of that conference for a while. I think he’ll struggle to overcome those teams at first. As someone mentioned, he’s never built a program before. Will be interesting to see how he does. I just don’t see the SoCal job as a great job. I guess people get intrigued by Hollywood.
Cristobal may be mvng to LSU, a setback for Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT