ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SC BBQ Top 3 in Your Region

jroller

Jan 12, 2003
If we were to break the state down into specific regions, which places would you rate as the top 3 BBQ joints in your region:

Upstate, Midlands, Pee Dee/Myrtle Beach, Lowcountry.

List the region and your top three. Yes, you can further subdivide to a particular sub-region or city if that works better for you. Feel free to comment on why.

As an example (not my actual top 3)

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

Note: Top 3 can mean whatever it means to you: pure BBQ quality, places you would recommend to visitors, overall offering/quality, etc.

Guido's
John Barleycorn's
The Broken Femur

Those are also not my actual top 3.

If we were to break the state down into specific regions, which places would you rate as the top 3 BBQ joints in your region:

List the region and your top three. Yes, you can further subdivide to a particular sub-region or city if that works better for you. Feel free to comment on why.

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

Note: Top 3 can mean whatever it means to you: pure BBQ quality, places you would recommend to visitors, overall offering/quality, etc.
I live in Greenville and have never heard of Circle M or Brasstown Creek. Bucky's is really good. We always buy from Bucky's when we want BBQ for tailgating. Bucky's has many great side dishes too.

I live in Greenville and have never heard of Circle M or Brasstown Creek. Bucky's is really good. We always buy from Bucky's when we want BBQ for tailgating. Bucky's has many great side dishes too.

Circle M is in Liberty. Brasstown Creek is way up in the corner of the state, in the mountains near the Georgia line.

I discovered a lot of out of the way places like that when I was putting together the map for our site.

Last edited:
Funny, however, I named actual places. Just didn't want to skew the results by suggesting an actual top 3 from the outset.

Well, I live in Charlotte, so I'm disqualified, and I'm also fighting an uphill battle in the BBQ department. I have yet to hear of a place in town that anyone truly stands behind. I usually just go to Midwood Smokehouse which is far form a true BBQ joint, but they do have solid pulled pork and sides.

I guess I'm technically in the Lexington region. I went to the premier joint in Lexington one time called Lexington #1 a.k.a "The Monk." This place is supposedly the mecca of Lexington BBQ and one of the best BBQ places in the country. I was totally underwhelmed. The chopped pork sandwich with ketchup slaw was just a big pile of fructosey mush. Honestly, Midwood Smokehouse is better though I'll give Lexington #1 credit for its true BBQ joint vibe.

And seriously, red slaw?

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

Lowcountry-

1) Scott's bbq- Hemingway (not a close 2nd).

Also, in the "not a true BBQ joint" category, there is a place called McKoy's in Charlotte. There's no need to eat their pork, but they have a braised, smoked pot roast which is amazing. Sorry to hijack your SC BBQ thread.

Scott's is the best BBQ for which I've ever paid money which includes the premier Lexington and Eastern NC places. Scott's is so much better.

Reactions: Tigerof66
Lowcountry-

1) Scott's bbq- Hemingway (not a close 2nd).
If I had to pick a 2nd, it would be Richard's BBQ in Loris. Don't think he has a restaurant any longer but sells his BBQ / sauce in stores. It's a mix of vinegar, ketchup and mustard.

I'm in the upstate and the place is in NC but only 15 miles from the state line. It is Bridges BBQ on Hwy 74 in Shelby. It's some of the best I've ever eaten.

I'm in the upstate and the place is in NC but only 15 miles from the state line. It is Bridges BBQ on Hwy 74 in Shelby. It's some of the best I've ever eaten.
You need to try Scott's then. I have tried both and while bridges is better than most in the upstate it ain't Scott's or any Low Country BBQ for that matter.

I'm partial, b/c I grew up on it, but I enjoyed Midway BBQ in Buffalo (Union County), SC. Still very nostalgic for me when I get to go home. My family and I live in Summerville now, and haven't been able to find a legitimate bbq joint since arriving in 2012.

Reactions: jroller
I'm partial, b/c I grew up on it, but I enjoyed Midway BBQ in Buffalo (Union County), SC. Still very nostalgic for me when I get to go home. My family and I live in Summerville now, and haven't been able to find a legitimate bbq joint since arriving in 2012.
Summerville isn't terribly far away from Hemingway. Make the trip to Scott's. You won't regret it.

Brasstown Creek is in Long Creek which isn't close to much. They catered my daughter's wedding rehearsal. Nothing but rave reviews from all the guest.

I've been meaning to hit up Bridges in Shelby for a long time. I need to make it happen on the next trip to Asheville.

Upstate:
1) Circle M
2) Bucky's
3) Brasstown Creek

I am way out of the SC loop now, but plan to visit Cola soon,
So, what has happened to Hite's in Lex and Maurices?

I am way out of the SC loop now, but plan to visit Cola soon,
So, what has happened to Hite's in Lex and Maurices?

Maurice's is crap.

1. Shealy's is great, long way from my house.
2. Little Pigs.
3. Jackie Hite's

Looking forward to making the trip to Hemmingway so I can try me some Scotts.

We are in a great place, so many types of Q, all a relatively short drive away.

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
Duke's (the Hash alone)
I really wnat to try Scotts in the near future..

I'm always fascinated by people that get on a thread like this and say they don't like specific BBQ. There are very few BBQ places I have been to that I didn't enjoy. One of the few I'll not go to again is Sonny's. Used to live in Charlotte, love Bubba's, Bill Spoon's, never made it to Mac's Speed Shop but heard it was really good. Also love Lexington BBQ, loved the sauce. Now moved back home, and in this area both Duke's in Orangeburg really good. Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton as well. Haven't made it to Sweatman's or to Scott's, but definitely going to hit both of those.

Pee Dee area #1 Country Cousins (was closed reopening in Olanta next week) #2 Scotts at Brunsons xrds just outside of Heminyway #3 Big Ds at Ards xrds between Jvlle and Heminyway. Honorable mention Schoolhouse in Scranton or Fatbacks in Cowards. nothing outside this area is even close to these first 3 places.

Reactions: acmnni1
Cannons in Little Mountain
Wise's in Newberry
Shealy's in Batesburg

All the places in Columbia are crap. For Midlands Mustard go to places where that sauce originated from the German Settlers in the Dutch Fork Region

Reactions: uscbeckham
The best bbq in the south is Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City TN....between Johnson City and Bristol out by the racetrack......I know, I know who's going to make the trip....

The reason I mention this place is because the woman who opened Ridgewood was from Easley,SC...she met her husband after WWII and moved here where her husband family lived...she brought her secret family recipe from the foothills of SC to the mountains of Tennessee....

That little bbq joint has been visited by presidents, country music stars including Dolly, governors, NASCAR greats. Etc. she has passed now and her family runs the place...It sits on the side of the road up,against a mountain.....it goes to show if you serve good tea and bbq, people will find you...it's still only a wide place in the road...

Wise's in Newberry
Shealy's in Batesburg

All the places in Columbia are crap. For Midlands Mustard go to places where that sauce originated from the German Settlers in the Dutch Fork Region

Ronnies Ribs on HWY 1 just on the west side of Elgin is excellent. I suggest the combo plate and have someone to share it with.

Hites on Dreher Road West Columbia Rib Cut and Chicken very very good
Maples in Sumter is great locals know about it have to order way in advance was better when Dad was alive but Family has carried on (this is for the vinegar black pepper lovers)

Reactions: Gamecockalypse325
If you have never been to Scott's in Hemingway, you have never eaten real Pee Dee bbq. Period. Go early in the week. It is amazing!

Beaufort/Jasper area of the Lowcountry:

Pink Pig - Hardeeville
Dukes - Ridgeland (haven't tried the one in Beaufort since it reopened)
Choo-Choo BBQ - Bluffton

Pee Dee area #1 Country Cousins (was closed reopening in Olanta next week) #2 Scotts at Brunsons xrds just outside of Heminyway #3 Big Ds at Ards xrds between Jvlle and Heminyway. Honorable mention Schoolhouse in Scranton or Fatbacks in Cowards. nothing outside this area is even close to these first 3 places.

You got an address for Country Cousins?

The Dixie Pig in Rock Hill. Small little place that is always packed. Menu apologizes for running out of menu items. Owner greats every customer. That place is the closest thing to your own pit in your backyard.

Wise's in Newberry
Shealy's in Batesburg

Definitely Cannons. Those guys are great. Don't care who they pull for. Their BBQ is amazing.

I live in Florence, but here are my places.
1. Cain's BBQ - just love that place since I was a little kid. Memories count for something!
2. Scott's/Kenny's in Hemingway - used to eat lunch at Kenny's a bunch (side note. when I used to eat at Kenny's, It was still in his back yard)
3. Dukes in Ridgeville - lived in Summerville up to a few years ago. After playing golf and drinking beer all day...Dukes capped it off.

Others:
Parker's - Wilson, NC - Born up near there and eat there when I travel back
Whispering Pines - Albemarle, NC - excellent and under appreciated.
Bill's BBQ - Cheraw, SC - Gotta love those backyard places.

Long gone, but not forgotten.. Sykes BBQ outside of Sumter on 378. Tailgating heaven eating that sandwich and boil peanuts. Used to drive out the way to get that BBQ.

Last edited:
Cain's is no where near a number one bbq place. It has the tradition and the appearance of a decent bbq place, but the bbq is very average. Not bad but not good either. Ditto for Bill's but Cain's is slightly better. However, I think Bill's has changed hands lately, may be better now.

Grad90, if haven't tried it yet, got to Shulers in Latta. Take I-95 north across Great Pee Dee River, take Bennettsville & Latta exit, turn right onto SC Hwy 38 go 3 miles on your right. You will not be disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT