ADVERTISEMENT

SC High School playoffs... who ya got?

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Any teams a shoe in for the title? Team that’s gonna shock somebody?

Chapman in 3A. I don't think even Dillon can touch them. Southpoint in 4A has got to be the favorite. Upperstate 5A probably Dorman or TL Hanna but Gaffney has been playing some real good football for the past month. Lower state? Who else but Fort D? Can't leave out Dutch Fork. They'll be right there.

Really think they need to condense the playoffs. Teams with 2-8 records should NOT be in the playoffs.
Take the top 2 in each region. Or top 3 and pair up the odds with another region perhaps? Or take 3 per region and allow the region winner a bye.

If York couldn’t beat SP at home last week I doubt anyone else can.
That young man who quarterbacks South Pointe is selling himself short by not going to a college that will let him play the position at the next level. With his skill set, he can break down any defense.

Abbeville is a dead lock for 2A. They can beat most 3A teams.....

A-town could beat most 4A and 5A schools. Hartsville was the 4A state runner-up last year and their only regular season loss was to Abbeville. Same game this year was very close...28-21. Greenwood wont play us anymore because "nothing to gain and everything to loose" playing a 2A school like Abbeville with only 500+ students in the 9-12 grades. Abbeville is the only school in South Carolina to win a state championship in 3 classification's. 3A state Champions in 1971, 2A state Champions in 81, 91, 96, 2015, 2016, 1A State Champions in 2010, 2011(only 2 years they have ever been in 1A). They have never been in 4A/Big16/5A. Who on here remembers the Big 16 years?

SEMPER FI...Go Cocks...Go Panthers!!!...

Last edited:
If York couldn’t beat SP at home last week I doubt anyone else can.
The game was at SP, but the result would have been no different if it had been played in York. York ran for over 300 yards, which was shocking to me, and still lost by 2 TDs. If someone can slow down the SP QB (virtually impossible) AND pound the run, they'll have a chance because SP will definitely have over 100 penalty yards.

A-town could beat most 4A and 5A schools. Hartsville was the 4A state runner-up last year and their only regular season loss was to Abbeville. Same game this year was very close...28-21. Greenwood wont play us anymore because "nothing to gain and everything to loose" playing a 2A school like Abbeville with only 500+ students in the 9-12 grades. Abbeville is the only school in South Carolina to win a state championship in 3 calcification's. 3A state Champions in 1971, 2A state Champions in 81, 91, 96, 2015, 2016, 1A State Champions in 2010, 2011(only 2 years they have ever been in 1A). They have never been in 4A/Big16/5A. Who on here remembers the Big 16 years?

Abbeville joins a conference next year that includes my daughters school. So I took a closer look at their roster. No great numbers or great size. But they must be great athletes and are well coached too.
Guess I’ll start seeing them up close next year.

The game was at SP, but the result would have been no different if it had been played in York. York ran for over 300 yards, which was shocking to me, and still lost by 2 TDs. If someone can slow down the SP QB (virtually impossible) AND pound the run, they'll have a chance because SP will definitely have over 100 penalty yards.
The more pressure you put on that guy, the better he is. I saw both York and SP against a common opponent. There really is no comparison. York is good, but SP has twice as many weapons.

Abbeville joins a conference next year that includes my daughters school. So I took a closer look at their roster. No great numbers or great size. But they must be great athletes and are well coached too.
Guess I’ll start seeing them up close next year.

Where does she go to school? I'm curious where you saw a complete roster? The head coach(my cousin), and the tops 5 assistants all were born and raised in A-town. Grew up in the rec system that begins the base understanding of the A-town offense and defense they will play-in when they get to high school. You ask most any young person in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade what they want to be when they grow up..."I want to be a Panther!" Not many will tell you they want to be a Professional athlete.

Last edited:
A-town could beat most 4A and 5A schools. Hartsville was the 4A state runner-up last year and their only regular season loss was to Abbeville. Same game this year was very close...28-21. Greenwood wont play us anymore because "nothing to gain and everything to loose" playing a 2A school like Abbeville with only 500+ students in the 9-12 grades. Abbeville is the only school in South Carolina to win a state championship in 3 classification's. 3A state Champions in 1971, 2A state Champions in 81, 91, 96, 2015, 2016, 1A State Champions in 2010, 2011(only 2 years they have ever been in 1A). They have never been in 4A/Big16/5A. Who on here remembers the Big 16 years?

Is the town growing or shrinking?

Any teams a shoe in for the title? Team that’s gonna shock somebody?

I think Fort Dorchester is just about a lock for 5A.

And there's no doubt South Point is the heavyweight program in 4A… But keep an eye on North Augusta… They've been absolutely waxing everyone they've played… even the "big boys" across the river in Augusta, that they play every year… In the lower state… Berkeley looks intriguing… I kind of follow them as I lived in Moncks Corner years back…

I've also been hearing good things about Gilbert this year in 3A… They've taken out all the traditional area heavyweights… BL, Strom Thurmond, etc… this year…

Should be an exciting playoff season…

Reactions: king ward
Where does she go to school? I'm curious where you saw a complete roster? The head coach(my cousin), and the tops 5 assistants all were born and raised in A-town. Grew up in the rec system that begins the base understanding of the A-town offense and defense they will play-in when they get to high school. You ask most any young person in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade what they want to be when they grow up..."I want to be a Panther!" Not many will tell you they want to be a Professional athlete.

nah…. not it at all… it's the hot dogs at the Rough House that makes the difference… =;-)

Reactions: SEMPER FI.
Is the town growing or shrinking?

Tax base is shrinking some...business', jobs, etc. Town and county population is a fare reflection of the school student body...1980 Abbeville high School student body grades 9-12 was 600+(closer to 600)...today its 500+(closer to 500)

nah…. not it at all… it's the hot dogs at the Rough House that makes the difference… =;-)

The hot dogs are good at Saxon's bypass hwy72/28 intersection as well. Rough House has good dogs too...no complaints there either. I wouldn't drive by one to go eat a dog at the other.

Reactions: TriumphCock
Tax base is shrinking some...business', jobs, etc. Town and county population is a fare reflection of the school student body...1980 Abbeville high School student body grades 9-12 was 600+(closer to 600)...today its 500+(closer to 500)

We're seeing the same thing in Lancaster.. Most small formerly textile towns are, I think. Fortunately, Lancaster County's northern quadrant is booming. The new Indian Land High School will be a big school in the coming years.

The hot dogs are good at Saxon's bypass hwy72/28 intersection as well. Rough House has good dogs too...no complaints there either. I wouldn't drive by one to go eat a dog at the other.

I'm one of those "you ain't from 'round here" guys… A-ville is about the half way place for a motorcycling buddy of mine and I to meet up… we kind of tripped over the Rough House a few years back… Just a REALLY cool place… GREAT vibe… cool folks and the dogs are good too… Dang… I feel a ride coming on!

Last edited:

Fox Creek is where she goes (North Augusta area in Edgefield county)
That region next year will be strong! FC will go from a top 3 player in their current conference to a 5-6 team most years.
Saluda
Ninety Six
Silver Bluff
Fox Creek
Batesburg Leesville
Abbeville

And I saw the roster on Max Preps although I’m sure it’s not entirely correct.

2A--Abbeville
3A--Chapman-- Talented, and as good a coach as there is
4A-- South Pointe - would probably win 5A also if they would let them play back to back days in state
5A--Dutch Fork--Young team that is growing into itself. Fort D has the talent, but not many folks beat Knotts twice.

Fox Creek is where she goes (North Augusta area in Edgefield county)
That region next year will be strong! FC will go from a top 3 player in their current conference to a 5-6 team most years.
Saluda
Ninety Six
Silver Bluff
Fox Creek
Batesburg Leesville
Abbeville

And I saw the roster on Max Preps although I’m sure it’s not entirely correct.

I played for Abbeville from 1976-79 and graduated from AHS in 1980. We were in the Skyline conference back then but my Jr/Sr year we had Saluda, Mid-Carolina, 96, Chapin, McCormick,Dixie, Crescent, and Ware Shoals in our conference. Our out-of-conference schedule was Strom Thurman and Belton Honea-Path(both 3A schools and A-town was 2A). Ira Hillary was the star at ST and went on to Carolina and played professionally for the Cleveland Browns as a WR. The only game ST lost during the regular season was to A-town in 78 and 79. They won their conference and played for the upper state 3A championship, loosing to Clinton(78) and JD Fuller(USC LB/grad), was the first time a 3A school was voted best HS team in SC. Next year ST went on to win the 3A upper state and got beat by James Island(?) in the 3A state championship...they had 2 losses both years...A-town was one of them each year. BHP also never beat us and we shut them out both years. We won our conference all four years, went 22-2 my Jr/Sr year with both of our losses coming to Coach Varner and the Woodruff Wolverines in the state playoffs.

BL has been in and out of the conference with A-town over the years but we've never had SB in our conference as well as FC(new school?). We look forward to some new folks to knock heads with...may the best team win!

I figured your roster info came from Max Prep...I can tell you its not complete/accurate.

Upset lock of the first round #4 Westwood pounds #1 N Augusta

Good call. Surprising, but good call. Know the folks down in North Augusta are fit to be tied. Had a team with more talent than anyone but SP. Tough loss for them to swallow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT