ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Rankings on Recruiting Budgets

waytogo

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
There has been much discussion today on the air waves and message boards on the drop off of talent in the program. Money is clearly not the only answer to our problems.
It does not help though that we are at the bottom. It is baffling with the financial resources we have today.We should be at least in top 6. Look at all the great improvements we have made in facilities.

What is more galling is the team in the upstate spent more on software (260k), a new plane additional staff with at least a aggressive strategy to recruit anywhere. Our strategy is to wait on the next cycle of instate Lattimores, Clowney etc and let the HBC delegate our approach.

Instead of asking the question can we compete with upper tier of SEC, we need to ask HOW can we compete?

SEC recruiting budget #s TN: $1.4M, AL: $980K, AUB: $950K, ARK: $666K; UGA: $623K, UF: $602K, MISS: $495K, MO: $363K, UK: $336K, LSU: $302K, MST: $306K, SC: $248K, A&M: $240K

If these budgets are accurate, then I'm even more impressed with the HBC's record. Doing more with less. Now the question should be why the heck is the budget so low. Too much going to facilities? Keeping 2 d-coordinators is expensive. But not paying an o-coordinator balances it out I guess. Just seems that with all the SEC $$$, a bigger emphasis would be put on getting the "jimmys and joes".

The money is there. 250K is a drop in the dang bucket. It's Spurrier's fault the budget is so low. If Spurrier says, this is how much money we need to execute our recruiting strategy than that is how much money they spend, if they even spend all of it. All this does is show how much an emphasis we DON'T put on recruiting compared to our fellow conference teams. You think Texas A&M has only 240K to spend on recruiting? They don't have to spend it. They recruit Texas and little here and there. We recruit like 8 states and still are barely outspending them.

Reactions: Fbarn2001
The bottom line is....You can't be out-spent or out-worked by "anybody", if you expect to compete at this level....especially by those hillbillies in the upstate.

If Spurrier needed more money for recruiting, he would have it. Anyone that thinks differently is kidding themselves. I think it's more along the lines of our coaches target players that are more likely to commit to us even if they are slightly less talented than spend a lot of money and time recruiting players we don't have as good a chance at getting. That and most of our recruiting is located in a small area...SC, Ga, NC, and Fla.

The part that I don't get is that our recruiting rankings are largely the same now as they were Spurrier's first few years. Thought the whole reason we upgraded our facilities was to be able to compete with the top schools at recruiting? But we aren't recruiting any better than we were when our facilities were near the bottom of the league. And that's after we finished in the top 10 three years in a row. Beat Clemson 5 times in a row. Won 4 straight New Year's Day Bowls. Had the top overall pick in the NFL draft. It almost defies belief that less than 18 months since our best ranking ever, we have fallen behind Kentucky in football. We beat Kentucky 10 times in a row just a few years ago!

Reactions: bmhood1984
There has been much discussion today on the air waves and message boards on the drop off of talent in the program. Money is clearly not the only answer to our problems.
It does not help though that we are at the bottom. It is baffling with the financial resources we have today.We should be at least in top 6. Look at all the great improvements we have made in facilities.

What is more galling is the team in the upstate spent more on software (260k), a new plane additional staff with at least a aggressive strategy to recruit anywhere. Our strategy is to wait on the next cycle of instate Lattimores, Clowney etc and let the HBC delegate our approach.

Instead of asking the question can we compete with upper tier of SEC, we need to ask HOW can we compete?

SEC recruiting budget #s TN: $1.4M, AL: $980K, AUB: $950K, ARK: $666K; UGA: $623K, UF: $602K, MISS: $495K, MO: $363K, UK: $336K, LSU: $302K, MST: $306K, SC: $248K, A&M: $240K

As they said during the Watergate investigate: "Just follow the money" and the bigger picture will evolve.......... Just saying guys, it is always more than meets the eyes.

It stands to reason that you should fund and use your resources. I am a fundamental business guy and I believe in that model for success. You never let someone outwork you and spending money is a big part of that. I told my salesmen that people remember the last guy in the door in the moment of need. You need to be the last guy in the door as often as you can. I know it works.....use every tool at your disposal and be the one they remember and you are there.

It stands to reason that you should fund and use your resources. I am a fundamental business guy and I believe in that model for success. You never let someone outwork you and spending money is a big part of that. I told my salesmen that people remember the last guy in the door in the moment of need. You need to be the last guy in the door as often as you can. I know it works.....use every tool at your disposal and be the one they remember and you are there.

And you own/operate what type of business?? Just curious.

And you own/operate what type of business?? Just curious.
I actually owned a liquidators firm (we liquidated product from companies we bought). It's a principle I developed from the Dale Carnegie program I took years ago. It has a little of my personal input but that program planted the seeds.

I actually owned a liquidators firm (we liquidated product from companies we bought). It's a principle I developed from the Dale Carnegie program I took years ago. It has a little of my personal input but that program planted the seeds.

Dale Carnegie huh? Thinking "outside the box" there are ya?? =;-p

UT's history would be similar to our's and UK's if it wasn't for their recruiting budget.

Here's an easy explanation - when you don't have instate talent, you need to travel more to secure outside talent.

Reactions: bmhood1984
But yet Texas AM is getting by with less and still pulling in great talent. Why? Because of the state of Texas. We don't have that, we need to increase it.

I do feel for a college coach, having to spend time developing a game plan and then calling and talking with all these recruits and have a family on top of it. I know I couldn't keep up with all that.

But yet Texas AM is getting by with less and still pulling in great talent. Why? Because of the state of Texas. We don't have that, we need to increase it.

I do feel for a college coach, having to spend time developing a game plan and then calling and talking with all these recruits and have a family on top of it. I know I couldn't keep up with all that.

The 6 to 7 figure salary helps ease that strain.

I agree that it starts with Recruiting. Minimizing the area allows the coaches to focus and minimize the time they spend recruiting. I think they underestimate the appeal of the program outside the core recruiting area. Something needs to be done recruiting-wise. If Jr. Isn't getting it done as recruiting coordinator, then get another one. Jr. can still be on the staff as a WR coach. Spurrier if he is going to turn it around is going to have to work a little harder, make a few more changes and promise recruits be won't retire for the next 6 years. It will take at least 2-3 recruiting cycles and some changes to turn it around. If he isn't willing to do it the program will be range-bound between 2 and 6 SEC wins and no hope of a championship. I wouldn't mind seeing E. Johnson as D-line coach and Lattimore as RB coach in near future.

Last edited:
You have to have great coaching....or great recruiting....we seem to be somewhat mediocre at both at this stage of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT