ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina AD Ray Tanner still confident in Will Muschamp

For optics purpose he has to say that. Saying otherwise would serve no benefit for the current state of the program. Now I'm sure behind the scenes is a different story.

Reactions: PC31 and jbouton
Tanner stated that the upset fans are probably a very vocal minority. WOW!! The arrogance of a truly worthless AD. This man is clueless!

Cannot believe he said that. He also said that he has as much confidence in Will as the day he hired him. Wow!!! Is Tanner more clueless than I thought. I understand that you have to be careful with media, but that? Arrogance combined with ignorance will torpedo our athletics.

Caslen, we have a problem!

Yeah I don’t get the “He knew what he was getting into, little bit of a rebuild”...

A 4th year rebuild shouldn’t lose to a 1st year coach that the team went 2-9 last year. Rebuild excuse in 4th year only works for why we aren’t competing with UGA and why we loss to Clemson 6th year in a row.

The loss to North Carolina May have been more helpful because anything less than at least 10 point victory to me is a loss there’s no excuse we had the players and it’s obvious now where the problem is.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tanner stated that the upset fans are probably a very vocal minority. WOW!! The arrogance of a truly worthless AD. This man is clueless!
we can settle this once and for all, saturdays game it will be first come first served, if you are not happy with muschamp sit on the east side, happy sit on the west side, neutral sit in north or south stands. Note: there will be overflow seating on the east side in different locations

we can settle this once and for all, saturdays game it will be first come first served, if you are not happy with muschamp sit on the east side, happy sit on the west side, neutral sit in north or south stands. Note: there will be overflow seating on the east side in different locations

How about those who support Muschamp sit on the West side , Neutral sit North and South and those not happy go to the lake . Think that will really get the point across .

As a former coach, he'll primarily stick with that mantra until the day he is forced to do a 180. (if that occurs)

Starting with BAMA, the media is going to be banging the "embattled coach" drum on a regular basis. And if any of those games get out of hand quickly (entirely possibly) that talk will permeate throughout the 3-4hr broadcast.
If Tanner is concerned about the "continuity and consistency" of the program in offering these unwarranted extensions, this {along with empty seats} will cause him significant concern.

Even if Tanner ripped Muschamp a new one and told him last weekend's game was unacceptable, he wouldn't tell the press that. That said, in reality Ray probably gave Muschamp a pat on the back and said "keep up the great work".

OMG! Say it isn't so. I was afraid of that. He's just covering his ass for making such a stupid hire in the first place, at least, that's my hope because behind the scenes he's working very hard to fix this problem. NOT. My W/E has gone to hell and that's two W/Es in a row.
I have zero confidence in Ray as an AD.
I could add Will, the OC, the DC and the S&C coach to that list. ST coach seems to be doing his job. He's about the only one.

Nice change....just in the nick of time.
Well the other comment is true too. No one will ever convince me that Riley used the USC job for experience to get the Oklahoma job. That doesn’t even make sense.

Well the other comment is true too. No one will ever convince me that Riley used the USC job for experience to get the Oklahoma job. That doesn’t even make sense.
No one said he used it for experience. Stoops simply told Riley he was leaving after the year and that the job was his if he stayed....that was plenty enough as Riley immediately withdrew his name from consideration despite having a good interview.

No one said he used it for experience. Stoops simply told Riley he was leaving after the year and that the job was his if he stayed....that was plenty enough as Riley immediately withdrew his name from consideration despite having a good interview.
That’s not how it all went down, that’s only part of the story. Ray said he liked Riley but he wanted someone with head coaching experience and recruiting experience especially in the SEC. Stupid statement on his part but that’s Ray for you. Ray had the next great up and comer but let him get away and people want to make excuses for that boondoggle. Show the man money and MAKE him tell you no. He didn’t.

That’s not how it all went down, that’s only part of the story. Ray said he liked Riley but he wanted someone with head coaching experience and recruiting experience especially in the SEC. Stupid statement on his part but that’s Ray for you. Ray had the next great up and comer but let him get away and people want to make excuses for that boondoggle. Show the man money and MAKE him tell you no. He didn’t.
I know the primary individual from the BOT who was involved. The Chairman was the athletic department liaison for the Board and while Tanner wanted someone with SEC experience, Riley within days of his return to OU removed his name from consideration. Regardless of what Tanner's ideal candidate was, it didn't cause the loss of Riley. Riley was simply offered a better opportunity period.

Forgive me. I can not help but find humor in a dying industry using the statement below:
Welcome to The State
You must turn off your ad blocking software to view this article.

If you call Domino's, the automatic answering machine says... "Why wait? Hang up now and go online." So, I did hang up ... and called a different pizza parlor ... and have never called Domino's again.

I used to enjoy Wendy's Crispy Chicken Sandwich ... 99 cents. They raised the price by more than 30% to $1.29. Haven't been back since, not even for the 50 Cent Frosty. It's the principle of the thing.

Two things every man must learn:
#1. Sometimes, you just have to say NO!

#2. NO! means NO!

Last edited:
I know the primary individual from the BOT who was involved. The Chairman was the athletic department liaison for the Board and while Tanner wanted someone with SEC experience, Riley within days of his return to OU removed his name from consideration. Regardless of what Tanner's ideal candidate was, it didn't cause the loss of Riley. Riley was simply offered a better opportunity period.
Don’t you think Ray told him he wasn’t going to get the job when he was here in Columbia and that’s why he withdrew his name? Ray and the BOT aren’t the best at hiring people and they’ve displayed their incompetence many times, not just with the football search. I would ask your BOT friend why in the blue heck they approved not one but TWO raises and an absurd buyout for Muschamp.

Well Ray is confident in something...that is as reassuring as a used car salemans handshake.

I got news for Ray...the overwhelming minority is he and whoever he talks to...cause I do not know a single fan that thinks things are going to work out well with him or Muschamp.

Don’t you think Ray told him he wasn’t going to get the job when he was here in Columbia and that’s why he withdrew his name? Ray and the BOT aren’t the best at hiring people and they’ve displayed their incompetence many times, not just with the football search. I would ask your BOT friend why in the blue heck they approved not one but TWO raises and an absurd buyout for Muschamp.
You can make up whatever you want out of wholecloth, but no Tanner didn't tell him he wasn't getting the job. Tanner liked him....a lot. It was far from a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't get the job. We nor OU had the time to put together a financial offer. Stoops simply made the offer of the HC position and Riley jumped at it. Period. Frankly, he would have been an idiot not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpcooper
"The AD, who won two national titles said he doesn’t expect the disappointment of the opening loss to put a dent in attendance numbers."

And as long as the $$$ keeps coming in then nothing else truly matters to the athletic department

Reactions: cockgun
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT