ADVERTISEMENT

The Option would never work in the SEC <sarcasm>

scgamecock24

Mar 27, 2006
I laugh everytime someone says this. Defenses are just too fast, we wont recruit well, blah, blah, blah. We haven't beaten Kentucky in 3 years! We also shouldn't have to rely on field goals to beat Vanderbilt.

According to Rivals, approximate average Team Rankings the past 4 years.

SC #20
Ga Tech #60

Why can't we beat Kentucky or Georgia if there's a 40 team difference in recruiting? Face it, we haven't had the wins since Spurrier was calling the plays in this offense. Now we have a Roper. All a matter of philosophy, do you want to play football or do want to play flag football? Pro football is boring enough. Let the flaming commence by the "experts" but prove to me that our offense doesn't need changing first.

Its true, it worked for Nebraska all those years against the most talented teams Florida ever had, honestly if Nebraska had stayed with the triple option they would still be a top ten team every year, Kentucky has beaten us what three in a row?

Reactions: RaginRooster
Gt was 3-8 last year by the way. You will never be a big time winner in cfb running the triple option. You will never recruit on a level necessary. Players want s shot at the NFL and that shot is almost non-existent with the triple option. By the way beating UK is not a particularly great accomplishment. If this were 1985 you would have a better argument but recruits have zero interest in it.

Reactions: wentzel25
Interesting, I will need to look at those Nebraska teams from 90-95 and see if any of their offensive players went to the NFL,

You could make an argument that playing in the spread is just as bad for NFL prospects, I dont see any NFL teams running a spread offense,

Truth is you learn your team's offense once you arrive in the NFL, all you need is a freakish amount of talent, they could care less if you caught 50 passes or 75 if you can run a 4.3 are the right size and tough then you can play at the next level,

Interesting, I will need to look at those Nebraska teams from 90-95 and see if any of their offensive players went to the NFL,

You could make an argument that playing in the spread is just as bad for NFL prospects, I dont see any NFL teams running a spread offense,

Truth is you learn your team's offense once you arrive in the NFL, all you need is a freakish amount of talent, they could care less if you caught 50 passes or 75 if you can run a 4.3 are the right size and tough then you can play at the next level,
Ahman Green is one that comes to mind that succeeded in the NFL from that Nebraska era.

Gt was 3-8 last year by the way. You will never be a big time winner in cfb running the triple option. You will never recruit on a level necessary. Players want s shot at the NFL and that shot is almost non-existent with the triple option. By the way beating UK is not a particularly great accomplishment. If this were 1985 you would have a better argument but recruits have zero interest in it.

Two years ago they won the Orange Bowl by thumping a Prescott led MSU.

I laugh everytime someone says this. Defenses are just too fast, we wont recruit well, blah, blah, blah. We haven't beaten Kentucky in 3 years! We also shouldn't have to rely on field goals to beat Vanderbilt.

SC #20
Ga Tech #60

Why can't we beat Kentucky or Georgia if there's a 40 team difference in recruiting? Face it, we haven't had the wins since Spurrier was calling the plays in this offense. Now we have a Roper. All a matter of philosophy, do you want to play football or do want to play flag football? Pro football is boring enough. Let the flaming commence by the "experts" but prove to me that our offense doesn't need changing first.
Well, if we ran it, our recruiting rankings would be on the level of GaTech's. We could probably win, at most, 8-9 games each year.

Again... that Ga Tech team full of 2 star recruits beat UGA and all their 5 stars, and just thumped KY, a team that is going for a FOURPEAT against us in 2017.

Love him or hate him, Paul Johnson does more with less than just about anybody.

Complete fallacy. As of 2016, SC had 35 players in the NFL, Ga Tech had 26. Understandable for an average of #60 in Team Rankings. Entrance requirements. "Big time" winner in cfb? I'll take 1 conference championship. The point is, we don't need all-NFL type players to win. Ga Tech does more with less. We need an effective offense, whether it is the option or something else. Even with the recruits we have coming in, if we can't run consistently inside the 20, we won't win. Then, in my opinion, we have to play ball control to keep our defenses fresh due to lack of depth. Did you see how winded Kentucky was at the end of the game? I don't think a new O Line coach is going to make a bit of difference with this offensive scheme. And, yes, unfortunately I would have never believed I would be using Kentucky as a standard.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/number-of-nfl-players-by-college/2016/

Complete fallacy. As of 2016, SC had 35 players in the NFL, Ga Tech had 26. Understandable for an average of #60 in Team Rankings. Entrance requirements. "Big time" winner in cfb? I'll take 1 conference championship. The point is, we don't need all-NFL type players to win. Ga Tech does more with less. We need an effective offense, whether it is the option or something else. Even with the recruits we have coming in, if we can't run consistently inside the 20, we won't win. Then, in my opinion, we have to play ball control to keep our defenses fresh due to lack of depth. Did you see how winded Kentucky was at the end of the game? I don't think a new O Line coach is going to make a bit of difference with this offensive scheme. And, yes, unfortunately I would have never believed I would be using Kentucky as a standard.

They already severely restricted the use of cut blocks this year and there is a huge push to make all below the waist blocking illegal. What are you going to do with a triple option offense then? That offense relies completely on cut blocking.

Ahman Green is one that comes to mind that succeeded in the NFL from that Nebraska era.
I'm pretty sure he is THE one. Lawrence Phillips, Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Thunder Collins all busted (pun intended).

Well football is entertainment also. And watching the triple option when it's your teams offense ain't entertainment!

Gt had not beaten Uga for like the last 12 years. Give me a break.

Again... that Ga Tech team full of 2 star recruits beat UGA and all their 5 stars, and just thumped KY, a team that is going for a FOURPEAT against us in 2017.

Love him or hate him, Paul Johnson does more with less than just about anybody.

Reactions: rogue cock

26 is a nice number and all, but Georgia Tech currently has only 3 skill players in the nfl (4 if you count fullback as a skill position). Demaryius Thomas is the only starter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/college/_/letter/g

GT would be much better than they are if their entrance requirements were not higher than most schools. If they could get a few of those very talented borderline kids in they could kill it with the triple option.
BS...GaTech waves academic standards for star athletes just like Duke and all other schools do...Even Stanford accepts great athletes with lower academic standings

Gt had not beaten Uga for like the last 12 years. Give me a break.

Actually, GT has played UGA dead even for the last 4 years.

2016 - GaT 28, UGA 27
2015 - UGA 13, GaT 7
2014 - GaT 30, UGA 24 (OT)
2013 - UGA 41, GaT 34 (2 OT)

Doesn't really matter, I'm not campaigning for us to go to the option. I do love to watch it though, it's a thing of beauty when it's clicking.

The triple option is a way for a team with less talent to beat a team with more talent. It is not a way for such teams to beat great teams for championships - not anymore. The 1970s are in the rear-view mirror.

All true. I just love to watch GaT & the service academies run it, that's all.

Is it fun to just totally make crap up?
November 24, 2001 Atlanta, GA #19 Georgia 31 #21 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 53–38–5
November 30, 2002 Athens, GA #5 Georgia 51 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 54–38–5
November 29, 2003 Atlanta, GA #5 Georgia 34 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 55–38–5
November 27, 2004 Athens, GA #8 Georgia 19 Georgia Tech 13 Georgia 56–38–5
November 26, 2005 Atlanta, GA #13 Georgia 14 #20 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 57–38–5
November 25, 2006 Athens, GA Georgia 15 #16 Georgia Tech 12 Georgia 58–38–5
November 24, 2007 Atlanta, GA #6 Georgia 31 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 59–38–5
November 29, 2008 Athens, GA #18 Georgia Tech 45 #13 Georgia 42 Georgia 59–39–5
November 28, 2009 Atlanta, GA Georgia 30 #7 Georgia Tech 24 Georgia 60–39–5
November 27, 2010 Athens, GA Georgia 42 Georgia Tech 34 Georgia 61–39–5
November 26, 2011 Atlanta, GA #13 Georgia 31 #25 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 62–39–5
November 24, 2012 Athens, GA #3 Georgia 42 Georgia Tech 10 Georgia 63–39–5
November 30, 2013 Atlanta, GA Georgia 41 Georgia Tech 342OT Georgia 64–39–5
November 29, 2014 Athens, GA #16 Georgia Tech 30 #9 Georgia 24OT Georgia 64–40–5
November 28, 2015 Atlanta, GA Georgia 13 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 65-40–5
November 26, 2016 Athens, GA Georgia Tech 28 Georgia 27 Georgia 65-41–5

I await the response from eahjr. Lol.

November 24, 2001 Atlanta, GA #19 Georgia 31 #21 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 53–38–5
November 30, 2002 Athens, GA #5 Georgia 51 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 54–38–5
November 29, 2003 Atlanta, GA #5 Georgia 34 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 55–38–5
November 27, 2004 Athens, GA #8 Georgia 19 Georgia Tech 13 Georgia 56–38–5
November 26, 2005 Atlanta, GA #13 Georgia 14 #20 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 57–38–5
November 25, 2006 Athens, GA Georgia 15 #16 Georgia Tech 12 Georgia 58–38–5
November 24, 2007 Atlanta, GA #6 Georgia 31 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 59–38–5
November 29, 2008 Athens, GA #18 Georgia Tech 45 #13 Georgia 42 Georgia 59–39–5
November 28, 2009 Atlanta, GA Georgia 30 #7 Georgia Tech 24 Georgia 60–39–5
November 27, 2010 Athens, GA Georgia 42 Georgia Tech 34 Georgia 61–39–5
November 26, 2011 Atlanta, GA #13 Georgia 31 #25 Georgia Tech 17 Georgia 62–39–5
November 24, 2012 Athens, GA #3 Georgia 42 Georgia Tech 10 Georgia 63–39–5
November 30, 2013 Atlanta, GA Georgia 41 Georgia Tech 342OT Georgia 64–39–5
November 29, 2014 Athens, GA #16 Georgia Tech 30 #9 Georgia 24OT Georgia 64–40–5
November 28, 2015 Atlanta, GA Georgia 13 Georgia Tech 7 Georgia 65-40–5
November 26, 2016 Athens, GA Georgia Tech 28 Georgia 27 Georgia 65-41–5

The reason Tech was 3-8 last year was because they had a ridiculous amount of injuries. They were down to about there 6th string RB by about there 3rd week and that system requires AT LEAST 3 good RB's.

Just sayin'

And as far as boring? Well I absolutely loved watching Nebraska pummel teams in the old days with that powerful running attack. The only problem is when behind it's hard to catch up.

This is not the 80's or even the 90's. Take a look at the final 4. It is no coincidence that none of them are lining up in the wishbone. All are spread or some a close cousin of it.

The reason Tech was 3-8 last year was because they had a ridiculous amount of injuries. They were down to about there 6th string RB by about there 3rd week and that system requires AT LEAST 3 good RB's.

Just sayin'

And as far as boring? Well I absolutely loved watching Nebraska pummel teams in the old days with that powerful running attack. The only problem is when behind it's hard to catch up.

Just sayin'

I did too....before teams realized speed on defense will neutralize much of the benefit of a triple option offense. In today's game, playing the Bama's, LSUs, etc. with a triple option offense would be a recipe for disaster.

SC #20
Ga Tech #60

It isn't a question of defenses being too fast. It's that defenses are too BIG and too fast. The teams that are successful against the option are teams that can get penetration to disrupt the options that are available to the offense. Can't run the full-back dive if there are two linemen standing back there waiting for the QB to hand it off. You can't get premiere wide receivers to come play for you, for the most part, because wide receivers don't want to spend 90% of their careers blocking downfield. You can't get premiere QB's to come, because premiere QB's have to be able to show NFL scouts that they can throw and read defensive packages. And the triple-option is such a "system" offense that you aren't showing scouts anything by being able to figure out whether you hand off to the dive, keep yourself, or pitch it to a back.

Here ya go buddy. Copy and paste action while at Georgia, Richt went 13-2 against the Yellow Jackets.

Paul Johnson wasn't at Ga Tech until 2008, so all of those other games are irrelevant. He's 3-6 vs UGA, and during that same time span, we were only 1 game better at 4-5. And that was during the best era in our history.

3-6 is dang good considering UGA probably averaged a Top 5 recruiting class during that span. Another reason why UGA is considered probably the biggest underachiever in the nation, based on talent, and GaT is considered one of the top overacheivers.

The triple option is a way for a team with less talent to beat a team with more talent. It is not a way for such teams to beat great teams for championships - not anymore. The 1970s are in the rear-view mirror.
I'm not advocating for a triple-option offense, but the highlighted portion of your quote has fairly accurately described the Gamecocks for virtually our entire time in the SEC. With the exception of our years under the now-hated Steve Spurrier, we have nearly always been a team with less talent trying to figure out how to beat teams with more talent.

As for the triple-option and recruiting top athletes, the triple-option shouldn't have any effect whatsoever in defensive recruiting. Imagine how good Ga. Tech would be if they had Georgia's talent on the defensive side of the ball all these years.

It isn't a question of defenses being too fast. It's that defenses are too BIG and too fast. The teams that are successful against the option are teams that can get penetration to disrupt the options that are available to the offense. Can't run the full-back dive if there are two linemen standing back there waiting for the QB to hand it off. You can't get premiere wide receivers to come play for you, for the most part, because wide receivers don't want to spend 90% of their careers blocking downfield. You can't get premiere QB's to come, because premiere QB's have to be able to show NFL scouts that they can throw and read defensive packages. And the triple-option is such a "system" offense that you aren't showing scouts anything by being able to figure out whether you hand off to the dive, keep yourself, or pitch it to a back.

And yet, Ga Tech keeps winning against teams we lose to. We've lost to Kentucky 3 years in a row. We've lost to Clemson 3 yrs in a row. We lost to the Citadel for God's sake. All with fairly good recruiting classes, as least according to the services. Either way, I don't think anyone can argue that Ga Tech's recruiting comes anywhere near ours. It's their system gives them an advantage. If we're averaging around #20 per Rivals for the last 4 years, how many more wins will we have if we move up to #10? 8-9 wins for a Top 10 class? Do you have faith that Coach Roper's offense can give us those wins? Coach Muschamp can recruit, but can he keep us near the Top 10 in recruiting year end and year out? Whether it is the Option or something else, the offense needs to be changed to give us an advantage, not to play what everyone else is playing. We need an advantage.

PS. Legally, no fake classes or anything.......

All true. I just love to watch GaT & the service academies run it, that's all.
Hey, I could get desperate enough to hire that guy from Navy if Muschamp fizzes, but at that point, you are settling for winning seasons and bowl games. You aren't competing for the SEC Championship any longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Richt was 13-2 against gt cutie. This was kirby's first year. Do you need help on the math front?

GT has won 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 8. Not exactly 0 for 12, which you obviously made up. There is your response.

...Face it, we haven't had the wins since Spurrier was calling the plays in this offense. Now we have a Roper. All a matter of philosophy, do you want to play football or do want to play flag football? Pro football is boring enough. Let the flaming commence by the "experts" but prove to me that our offense doesn't need changing first.
Spurrior's playing calling didn't start winning until the turnovers and penalties went way down and the defense got good.

Last edited:
Richt was 13-2 against gt cutie. This was kirby's first year. Do you need help on the math front?
I have read it several times and your original post didn't say anything about who the coach was. Need help on the reading front?
Also, you seem to be making the argument that 3 is equal to 0, so maybe it isn't me that needs help with math, cutie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT