ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UT game thread

Reactions: gamecockblack
I’m mildly optimistic. I see improvement on offense. Tough loss. I’d rather lose a close game to TN where we showed some fight than lose to NC last year where we showed no fight in the second half.

Tough loss, but don't hang it on #9.....questionable play calling. We were killing them running right and went away from that. Why?
Agreed, get off the kid. The people responsible for their performance are the coaches. I recommend they start by trying to stop the one thing the kids can help, the over the top trash mouthing. We can't even keep our best receiver in the game on a key third down because he's trash talking.

I’m out working fire claims in Oregon. Haven’t been home but a week out of the last 6-8. Miss my wife and girls. And one of my closest friends is on a ventilator thanks to Covid and the family has been told barring a miracle, he is dying. Disappointed in the outcome but at the end of the day, it’s a game. Lots more important things happening for me right now.
Hope your friend is one of the miracles. Puts things in perspective.

I was Kornblut to ask BOOM! this week why his teams are so undisciplined every year, every place and what that says about him as a football coach.
I think that the truth is that coaches don't have the authority they used to have - for several reasons having to do with player retention. And this year, current events have dictated that coaches have less leverage to discipline players than ever.

So we lose a 1 possession game to a top 20 team and you’re ready to forfeit them all...
That’s a winners spirit.
Tennessee is not top 20. They looked very pedestrian and with the right coaching you win that game. 1-10 on 3rd down and you lose the game? They will not stay in the top 25. We will never win games with Muschamp that come down to coaching. Period.

I think that the truth is that coaches don't have the authority they used to have - for several reasons having to do with player retention. And this year, current events have dictated that coaches have less leverage to discipline players than ever.
It didn't just start with him.

Get a stop and TD wins it. Get nothing and a TD would only tie it. Not the best situation to go for it on 4th. Muse needs to make that catch.
Nope. Bad decision. You need one td either way. Do you like your chances to convert a first down and then score from their 20 or take the ball the entire length of the field with no timeouts, assuming you make a stop? I’m betting most coaches go for it but we kick f g leaving us 4 points behind.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Nope. Bad decision. You need one td either way. Do you like your chances to convert a first down and then score from their 20 or take the ball the entire length of the field with no timeouts, assuming you make a stop? I’m betting most coaches go for it but we kick f g leaving us 4 points behind.
No they don’t. Coaches take the points and then play for the possession hoping the other team just tries to burn clock. It was the right call as you can’t predict that boneheaded play.

Reactions: hillstosea
I’m not sure if this has been pointed out earlier. I’m pissed about the loss. im pissed that the offense wasn’t more explosive and the guys we’ve been hearing about on the offense didn’t show up tonight. That being said, the difference in the game was the tipped ball that was intercepted by tutu for the td. Tennessee pulled a w outta their arse, and they’re fortunate to come out with a win. Blast me if you want, I can take it.

Reactions: king ward
UT ain't that good. I mean UK was #23 before today. It's a season where I thought we would be lucky to win 4. And this was one of them.

Agreed. Tired of being the team that’s ...
undersized
thin at positions
Outrushed
likely to draw the bonehead penalty.

We still physically look nothing
like those 2010 teams. Yet the recruiting rankings are the same.
Trust me. If our opponents are physically superior I can assure you our coaching won’t compensate for it.

You don’t know how many more plays it would have take to score. What if it took another 90 seconds? Or 2 minutes?

I’m not sure if this has been pointed out earlier. I’m pissed about the loss. im pissed that the offense wasn’t more explosive and the guys we’ve been hearing about on the offense didn’t show up tonight. That being said, the difference in the game was the tipped ball that was intercepted by tutu for the td. Tennessee pulled a w outta their arse, and they’re fortunate to come out with a win. Blast me if you want, I can take it.
I won't blast you because mathematically that is correct.

im not saying I agree but that’s the logic. Either way the situation wasn’t ideal. Our TE just dropped a pass that would’ve been a first down. I’m not confident we would’ve converted. Odds were low we were going to win that game with a 4th and 10 down 7 with 3 minutes to go. Just because we did lose doesn’t confirm they made the wrong decision. We also gave up a 1st down which cost us some time. Lot of things could’ve happened differently. But that was the logic of the choice that was made. I’d say it’s more 50/50 there as far as what coaches do. It probably leans more toward the FG to be honest. Madden players and armchair QBs typically go for the 1st down. Easy to question now that we lost...but that wasn’t in the top 25 of questionable decisions during the Will Muschamp era.

Last edited:
The field goal was dumb dumb dumb. The touching on a fair catch was more dumb also the time out on 2nd and 8 also super dumb.
Field goal wasn't dumb. If we wanted to win, we had to have at least a field goal and touchdown. You take the points in front of you 99% of the time. Had we not thrown a pick 6 or screwed up the final punt, then we had a chance.

One thing I noticed in the 2014 game against UGa. We were up a FG late in the 4th qtr and it’s 4th and 1 on our side of the field. SOS went for it and made it. And we win. Champ would punt and probably lose.

Right. And 90 seconds to win. FG-stop-TD made more sense and was easier to do than TD-Stop-FG.
Where we differ in this equation is in which scenario is TD the easiest. The TD is the key variable and it seems to me it’s easier from their 20. I take my chances trying to score while I’m down there.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
So we lose a 1 possession game to a top 20 team and you’re ready to forfeit them all...
That’s a winners spirit.
They are a top 20 team because two major conference aren’t playing yet. They are equal to us and one of the 3 teams we could beat this year. We are very bad this year... and have been for years. I’m sorry but my winning spirit died when we stopped winning games. I just want a new staff and move on from this awful hire to begin with. I’m tire of losing.

No they don’t. Coaches take the points and then play for the possession hoping the other team just tries to burn clock. It was the right call as you can’t predict that boneheaded play.
Bet they do. Guarantee Spurrier goes for that. So you like our chances driving the entire length of field with no time outs to score a TD? I don’t

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT