ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UT game thread

I’m not sure if this has been pointed out earlier. I’m pissed about the loss. im pissed that the offense wasn’t more explosive and the guys we’ve been hearing about on the offense didn’t show up tonight. That being said, the difference in the game was the tipped ball that was intercepted by tutu for the td. Tennessee pulled a w outta their arse, and they’re fortunate to come out with a win. Blast me if you want, I can take it.
We were fortunate to still be in the game. If Guantanamo didn’t consistently miss open receivers all night long that last play never would have come up.

Where we differ in this equation is in which scenario is TD the easiest. The TD is the key variable and it seems to me it’s easier from their 20. I take my chances trying to score while I’m down there.
And you give your team a better shot when it's not one play do or die. You need the points, so you take the best opportunity to get them. It was 4th and long. This drive was not going our way at that point. You take the FG rather than the higher probability of nothing. Statistically, you have a better chance of going down the field in 90 seconds on a fresh drive than of converting a 4th and 12.

We were fortunate to still be in the game. If Guantanamo didn’t consistently miss open receivers all night long that last play never would have come up.
Fair point. The first game for every team comes down to ifs and buts. In a game like this, either team could win. Sometimes it all comes down to execution and turnovers

Where we differ in this equation is in which scenario is TD the easiest. The TD is the key variable and it seems to me it’s easier from their 20. I take my chances trying to score while I’m down there.
You also don’t know how much longer it would take you to score.. it might take another 90 seconds or 2 minutes or longer, to score from the 25. The. You’ve put yourself in a much shorter game where 1 first down ends it. Don’t forget how much the clock matters. There’s no calling a timeout on offense, so what if it took 8 more plays to score? There would have been no time left. You can’t count on a quick TD, whereas the FG was instant.

They are a top 20 team because two major conference aren’t playing yet. They are equal to us and one of the 3 teams we could beat this year. We are very bad this year... and have been for years. I’m sorry but my winning spirit died when we stopped winning games. I just want a new staff and move on from this awful hire to begin with. I’m tire of losing.
Ok. See ya next week.

What I didn't understand was wasting the 1st timeout on 2nd and 2. Chances were they would get the first down and they did. It ended up not mattering, but we would have got the ball back with over 2 minutes left had we not allowed the ball to hit us.

And you give your team a better shot when it's not one play do or die. You need the points, so you take the best opportunity to get them. It was 4th and long. This drive was not going our way at that point. You take the FG rather than the higher probability of nothing. Statistically, you have a better chance of going down the field in 90 seconds on a fresh drive than of converting a 4th and 12.

I question the accuracy of that statistic. Did you pull it out of the air ?

I question the accuracy of that statistic. Did you pull it out of the air ?
I don’t know about that statistic, but going for it would be a horrible decision. What if you do convert 4th and 12, but then face another 4th down and 10? Now with only 2 minutes instead of 3? The FG is objectively the right decision.

Reactions: hillstosea
*We were up...

We also had a winners mentality. Spurrier teams for the most part found ways to win. Muschamp teams find ways to lose. We saw it first hand when he was at Florida. We had NO business winning that game in the Swamp in 2014. His teams find ways to lose. It’s the same thing here. His teams don’t do the little things and that is often the difference in close games. So many opportunities to extend drives tonight. Missed. Stupid penalties. Costly turnovers. He says the right things but the reality is...the guy just loses.

We also had a winners mentality. Spurrier teams for the most part found ways to win. Muschamp teams find ways to lose. We saw it first hand when he was at Florida. We had NO business winning that game in the Swamp in 2014. His teams find ways to lose. It’s the same thing here. His teams don’t do the little things and that is often the difference in close games. So many opportunities to extend drives tonight. Missed. Stupid penalties. Costly turnovers. He says the right things but the reality is...the guy just loses.
I don’t disagree.

What I didn't understand was wasting the 1st timeout on 2nd and 2. Chances were they would get the first down and they did. It ended up not mattering, but we would have got the ball back with over 2 minutes left had we not allowed the ball to hit us.

this didn’t matter. All that matters is the number of plays. Calling that timeout was the right call. If we somehow hit them for a loss and force 3 and out we have max time. They either run the clock down there or after we run out of timeouts. It didn’t change the time at all.

this didn’t matter. All that matters is the number of plays. Calling that timeout was the right call. If we somehow hit them for a loss and force 3 and out we have max time. They either run the clock down there or after we run out of timeouts. It didn’t change the time at all.
The only counter argument to that is they get the first down, then are forced into a 3rd and long throwing situation next series and we are able to save timeouts.

The only counter argument to that is they get the first down, then are forced into a 3rd and long throwing situation next series and we are able to save timeouts.

We forced them into 3rd and 22. They were not going to throw the ball. We only had 2 timeouts. If we save the time out and stop them short and it’s 3rd down...we lose even more time. Absolutely the right call to call that timeout. The only reason it’s even discussed is because in hindsight they picked up the first down on 2nd down. But it still changed nothing. The unfortunate part of all that was giving up 8 yards on 1st down when we knew they’d run.

It was 3rd and 22. They were not going to throw the ball. We only had 2. If we save the time out and stop them short and it’s 3rd down...we lose even more time. Absolutely the right call to call that timeout. The unfortunate part of all that was giving up 8 yards on 1st down when we knew they’d run.
I don’t disagree. But I could see a run on 2nd and 2 gain say..15-20 yards. Closer to midfield. Next series goes TFL or no gain on 1st and 2nd down. Looking at a 3rd and 12 and a first down seals it. I’m just saying I’ve seen crazier... Did we not have 3 tos at 2nd and 2?

Bet they do. Guarantee Spurrier goes for that. So you like our chances driving the entire length of field with no time outs to score a TD? I don’t
We weren’t going to drink and dunk our way down the field in a minute and half and no timeouts. I hate the punt hit cam smith but we weren’t going to drive down and win the game. I’m sorry, it just wasn’t going to happen.

The gap between us and tennessee is not that large, however looking at recruiting, it will be soon unfortunately, needed to win today to have anyone take us seriously

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
FACT. Kicking that field goal was dumb and not a smart football decision. I expect a high school coach to get that 4ight. Field goal made no sense
The dumber decision was the swing pass on 3rd and 15 - its like they played for the FG - no issue with kicking it when its 4th and 12 but get it to 4th and 7 or less and the odds of making its go up tremendously - odds are against 4th and anything over 10 but the middle was wide open all night against that D

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT