ADVERTISEMENT

We're tearing up the 3-star circuit!

41a655c83a95ea5e266cb10c6eb9f49a.jpg

Well I'm not certain, but I'm pretry sure I've seen said repeatedly that USC has one of, if not the, the largest membership totals in the entire rivals network. Why would they not do that for us if that is the case? Then there's Southern Cal, who has one of the smaller membership totals yet they still pull in great classes every year
They are not in the business of being wrong, or of being independent. They are playing the game (and winning) of snowing people into thinking they are some knowlegable talent evaluaters and that their information is accurate and valuable, when in fact they are like a weatherman predicting yesterday's weather. Whenever we start winning championships and they feel comfortable that our program draws the top talent, you will see that change.

The number of stars does not win championships if it did them Southern Cal and Ohio State would never lose. Can't we forget about 2014 for at least one post and focus on this season? To win the SEC no matter how good you are you have to be lucky somewhere in the course of the season too. Luck ain't been our strong point even the the 11 win seasons. USC had three 11 wins seasons in a row until last season, won the East in 2010, and had beaten Clemson 5 of the last 5 seasons under SOS, that's not middle of the pack. The figures don't lie. I've been a Gamecock long enough to see middle of the pack and lower and right now I'm just ready for 2015.

Only 1 team wins every year and there are only 6-8 teams that truly have a chance. You mentioned SoCal, what's their average over the last 4-5 years? Im not going to look it up but I doubt it would be top 10 over that time period. The team that wins is a top 10 recruiting team with one of the top 4 or 5 coaches in the country. No other formula will work.

We can't compete with 3 stars and we can't compete with 2 and 3 star qbs surrounded by 3 stars. Sooner or later people will realize that and the stadium won't be as full.

News flash, IF SPURRIER CAN'T WIN WITH 3 STAR TALENT NOBODY CAN AND NOBODY WILL.

It's really that simple.

2013 - Missouri
2014 - Missouri

Just sayin.

did they win a conference championship? Nope, they didn't, in the end they were good but not good enough to play 4 full qtrs. with teams that recruit in the top 10 year after year.

I used to believe that in football, while "coaching" and recruiting were both very important to the success of a college football program, "coaching" was the more important of the two. My thinking has evolved to now say that recruiting skills is the more valuable of the two.We are what we are right now. When the time comes that Steve retires, which I hope are many years down the road, Ray needs to focus on hiring a proven Head Coach who can and will get after it in the recruiting battles.

Reactions: Laziness
Only 1 team wins every year and there are only 6-8 teams that truly have a chance. You mentioned SoCal, what's their average over the last 4-5 years? Im not going to look it up but I doubt it would be top 10 over that time period. The team that wins is a top 10 recruiting team with one of the top 4 or 5 coaches in the country. No other formula will work.

We can't compete with 3 stars and we can't compete with 2 and 3 star qbs surrounded by 3 stars. Sooner or later people will realize that and the stadium won't be as full.

News flash, IF SPURRIER CAN'T WIN WITH 3 STAR TALENT NOBODY CAN AND NOBODY WILL.

It's really that simple.

You can't really use SoCal since they have been on probation for a while, depth has killed SoCal. I believe this is the 2nd year where they can have a full class, so they will more than likely be a top 10 team this year.

You can't really use SoCal since they have been on probation for a while, depth has killed SoCal. I believe this is the 2nd year where they can have a full class, so they will more than likely be a top 10 team this year.
SoCal has been a mess for sure, especially with the probation and stuff. I do believe they'll be back and be a force again with their new coach. Plus they live in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country.

Jeff,

I highly doubt it. These same fans complain when we win 10 - 11 games because we didn't win it all.

Some people are never happy.
I never heard any complaints for fans when we won 11 games a year. Will there always be 2nd guessing? Dude there will ALWAYS be 2nd guessing, it's fun. But nobody was complaining, it was the best time to be a Gamecock fan.

Could Spurrier have called a better game in those games we lost those years? Absolutely but he's done that his entire career. Seems like he always has 1 or 2 games a year that don't make sense late in the game. He gets paid millions, people expect him to be pretty dang good calling ball games, that's what he does best.

Seriously do other boards have as many crybabies as we do? Lets cry and make fun of a 3 star kid, who just committed to USC.
Well said!! I love that someone has whined above about Spurrier being in Tahoe. That man has played that tournament every year of his UF and USC tenure. Get a grip people.

I think Spurrier should show up at the school of every kid he wants to have on campus. The assistants make it to those schools several times and the impact of Spurrier showing up would pay dividends down the road. He is the biggest celebrity in college football. Take advantage of that and woo these kids. That would show interest.....

hey double wide, a easier answer might be teams that lead the country yr after yr that don't win the big one, texas, texas a&m, oakla, michigan, so cal, nd......guess we gotta blame those coaches.

No, that is not the easy answer, because that makes no sense.

Reactions: Edistoplayer
Jeff,

I highly doubt it. These same fans complain when we win 10 - 11 games because we didn't win it all.

Some people are never happy.
You fellas never been to any other SEC boards? They lose a game and people want to nuke the coaches's homes.

This isn't complicated. SC had a lousy year and our recruiting class fell apart after Spurrier's comments about retiring. Now recruiting looks weak and the same assistant coaches that got those results in 2014 are back on the sideline. Yeah, people aren't happy. You think it would be any different on Auburn's board?

We need a recruiting coordinator that is energetic and knows his job. We are just like Kentucky and Vandy. Put a few good teams out there but in the long run it is short term. Back to the middle or bottom sec east. Too much freaking time on the golf course.
Is your mangina hurting again? Try midol

You can sugarcoat it any way you want, but recruiting isn't going all that well. Saw HBC at Tahoe this weekend on TV. I think when you're 70 you should retire and do what you like. He likes playing golf. Turn the program over to someone who is 100% interested in getting it done.

Where do you work, how much golf do you play and how much does it affect your job.

This same old crap about Spurrier golfing gets old. He doesn't play as much golf as some people around here claim he does.

Actually, I hate prunes, my grass is not green enough in the front yard, my kids only make 98's on their tests instead of fully committing to getting 100's, my 2012 truck has over 20,000 miles and it is over 3 years old, my hair is turning gray, I'm making more money only for Obama to take more, I work out and am getting stronger/fit but my muscles ache, I have to drive 10 miles to work (10 MILES!) and it takes over 15 minutes, I have to eat a filet mignon every weekend because my wife just LOVES for us to eat out. Life sucks ya'll!!! I'm just miserable!!! I even hate my socks!

No team will ever win an SEC division or conference title with a bunch of 3 star players. It's just too tough of a league. Spurrier has got to go get elite out of state talent in order to compete in the SEC. This state isn't going to put out another slate of blue chippers like Alshon, Lattimore, Gilmore, Clowney, etc. again any time soon, and even if it does it's not likely they would all go to South Carolina.

Dabo gets it and is pulling in 4 and 5 star talent from all over the eastern seaboard from Florida to Connecticut, and it's going to be evident in the results of this rivalry over the next several years.

Missouri is smiling and waving at you.

Reactions: Hail Pharaoh
What's wrong with painting the real picture and losing sucks dude! I hate to lose, and not just to Clemson!

Fans are emotionally attached and it does matter whether we win or lose. If it doesn't bother you then you aren't emotionally attached. I don't see frantic people on this board for the most part, just people who see what's really going on and calling it like it is. We are not a good recruiting team, compared to the teams we play against.

Like it or not, we'll be a middle of the pack team at best, at least until we have a coaching staff who is serious about recruiting.

This isn't belly aching to me, it's just calling a spade a spade.
we were doing ok until spurrier made a slip of the tongue....that hurt us more than people realize

we were doing ok until spurrier made a slip of the tongue....that hurt us more than people realize
No, plenty of us realize it. There's only a handful who don't. But, they're the same crowd that supported people like Fat Brad and Fig Newton to the bitter end and called everyone a tater who disagreed with them.

You fellas never been to any other SEC boards? They lose a game and people want to nuke the coaches's homes.

This isn't complicated. SC had a lousy year and our recruiting class fell apart after Spurrier's comments about retiring. Now recruiting looks weak and the same assistant coaches that got those results in 2014 are back on the sideline. Yeah, people aren't happy. You think it would be any different on Auburn's board?
Well said.

No, plenty of us realize it. There's only a handful who don't. But, they're the same crowd that supported people like Fat Brad and Fig Newton to the bitter end and called everyone a tater who disagreed with them.
For you to even mention Spurrier in the same breath as Scott and Newton proves you are either an idiot or a tater. Oops! Whats the difference?

Where do you work, how much golf do you play and how much does it affect your job.

This same old crap about Spurrier golfing gets old. He doesn't play as much golf as some people around here claim he does.
How do they claim he plays? How much do you claim he plays for that matter? lol, he could be playing every off day for all you know.

Reactions: sully2
I think a number of people (me included) have come to realize our greatest fear - that if SOS can't win a title here, nobody can. He's been here 10 years with nothing to show for it. Three years ago, with our greatest assemblage of talent ever plus a darn good staff, he couldn't win the SEC. It's frustrating and depressing because that team and staff is long gone. Today, we more closely resemble SC circa 1979 than SC circa 2012.

wine-and-cheese.jpg

I will post this question again because it was completely ignored in a similar thread. Can anyone name a team in your recent memory that won a national title that didn't finish with a top 10 recruiting class 3-4 years in a row? Yes. Stars matter. More often than not.
National Championships seem to be won by a few select coaches these days. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles, Malzahn - that is 10 years of National Championships with 5 coaches @ 7 schools.

National Championships seem to be won by a few select coaches these days. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Les Miles, Malzahn - that is 10 years of National Championships with 5 coaches @ 7 schools.

Players. All of those guys have plethoras of players. I don't think Fisher nor Miles can coach their way out of a wet paper sack. When they bring home the hardware, they have players galore.

3 star recruits can be quality recruits - but they almost always need 2-3 years to develop.

The more consistent you are at landing 4 star recruits and the occasional 5 star recruit, the quicker they will generally see the field and contribute at a high level.

IT's' no shock that our best seasons were had when we landed big time players like Lattimore, Gilfmore, Clowney- with a load of 4 star players and some 3 stars mixed in.

The more 3 star guys you land (and the fewer 4 star players you land) the longer it will take to see those guys develop- and the harder it will be to have 9 win seasons.

Reactions: conCOCKshon
I didn't know the recruiting season was over. Yes, we may slip a little this year after some comments by the ole ball coach and an off year but we are starting to gain mo going into this season and we gonna be all right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT