ADVERTISEMENT

We're tearing up the 3-star circuit!

I agree. I think every great player has two reasons for their success. Natural ability and hard work ethic. Some players develop the work ethic early on and advance in thhe recruiting ratings but they can be caught by lesser ranked players if the work ethic develops by the lesser ranked player in a good strength and conditioning program. I think that is proven often. Every player has a ceiling and sometimes the lesser ranked player may have a higher ceiling andd it just wasn't developed early on.

Players like Clowney have the highest ceiling that could never be reached as long as they are 100% healthy, but many other top ranked recruits have a level of ability others can reach.

We screwed up developing defensive ends and had to rely on Freshmen in the secondary last season so we suffered. I think the Freshmen will be excellent players this year and the DE position will be greatly improved.

Once again you are confusing "cause and effect." They don't win championships because they have top ten recruiting classes, they have top 10 recruiting classes because the win championships. These recruiting services adjust the star rankings based on who is recruiting the players. That's why you see so many players rankings change during the off season. If they change a player's ranking from 3 star to 4 star in JUNE, why do you think that is? Did this player suddenly become much better without even playing a game? Hardly. These services flourish because of naive followers such as yourself who don't realize how they operate. They are in it to make money from subscriptions. How better to do that than by mimicking the coaches who recruit the best talent?

Exactly...DeShawn Hand was the #1 recruit in the nation in 2014 and is behind a Jr. College player, DJ Pettaway, on the depth chart @ Alabama right now.

SOS.....Brad Scott....

I wont name call but common sense must not be your strong suit.

Players. All of those guys have plethoras of players. I don't think Fisher nor Miles can coach their way out of a wet paper sack. When they bring home the hardware, they have players galore.
This.

Plus SOS (and pretty much every successful coach) has said many times that great players make coaches look great.

I wonder why the pumpers are so stubborn about this concept? Do they really prefer 3-star players over the likes of Latt, Clowney and Gilmore?

wine-and-cheese.jpg
+1 Nobody remembers the Richard Bell days . :eek:

I want to make sure I understand your point. We are SC and anything better than the Dick Bell years is acceptable. Do I have your view correctly stated?

Oh, and Bell was a good Christian as if that has anything to do with it.

I wonder why the pumpers are so stubborn about this concept? Do they really prefer 3-star players over the likes of Latt, Clowney and Gilmore?

But if you bitch about it all day every day what good does it do? If I say, "OK. You're 100% right" does that make you feel better? Everyone wants more 4 star players but you're not a coach. You're just a fan on a message board. Raising hell about it here doesn't do any good. We can all be in 110% agreement and it won't do a bit of good.

Reactions: Hail Pharaoh
I he plays at Tahoe, fine, he just needs to come back with a 1-2 California 4 Star commitments when he does.

Gamecocktripp, you are correct. All the folks who aren't happy can accomplish a lot more directing their dissatisfaction to the decision makers. Call, text, or write the President, BOT members or the AD. If you want Spurrier gone like some of you must, they can make it happen. We can't.If Spurrier played as much golf as some of you harp on, he'd be on a course every day. His golfing is way overplayed by the "dead horse" crowd.

Reactions: GamecockTripp
Gamecocktripp, you are correct. All the folks who aren't happy can accomplish a lot more directing their dissatisfaction to the decision makers. Call, text, or write the President, BOT members or the AD. If you want Spurrier gone like some of you must, they can make it happen. We can't.If Spurrier played as much golf as some of you harp on, he'd be on a course every day. His golfing is way overplayed by the "dead horse" crowd.
His genius is overplayed by the "pumper crowd." If Fat Brad, Sparky or basically anyone else would have made the mistakes that SOS made last year, we'd have run him out on a rail.

But if you bitch about it all day every day what good does it do? If I say, "OK. You're 100% right" does that make you feel better? Everyone wants more 4 star players but you're not a coach. You're just a fan on a message board. Raising hell about it here doesn't do any good. We can all be in 110% agreement and it won't do a bit of good.
No (and this is not directed specifically at you), but don't act like a fool and pretend that we're the same program as 3 years ago. Sticking your head in the ground and blindly following a 70 year old who clearly is not the same guy that was at UF isn't the answer ether. Aubie and Ole Miss (and UT) hired young hot shots who are getting the job done. Hell, Dabo is recruiting like crazy and that POS beat us last year. That's unacceptable to me. Last season was unacceptable to me.

ESPECIALLY WITH 7 MONTHS TO GO UNTIL SIGNING DAY!

Reactions: bmhood1984
No (and this is not directed specifically at you), but don't act like a fool and pretend that we're the same program as 3 years ago. Sticking your head in the ground and blindly following a 70 year old who clearly is not the same guy that was at UF isn't the answer ether. Aubie and Ole Miss (and UT) hired young hot shots who are getting the job done. Hell, Dabo is recruiting like crazy and that POS beat us last year. That's unacceptable to me. Last season was unacceptable to me.

You mean the same 70 year old man that came in and won more games than any other coach in our history, took us to more bowls and won more bowl games than any other coach in our history and just 2 years ago lead us to our longest winning streak in our schools history...with the highest rankings we had in our schools history?
That same guy?

And you're complaining about recruiting when signing day is 7 months away and slamming him for lousey recruiting? How about just shut your yapper until the ink dries and the LOI are all faxed in and see if you really have something to bitch about.
Quit crying over spilled milk when the damn cow hasn't been milked yet!

His genius is overplayed by the "pumper crowd." If Fat Brad, Sparky or basically anyone else would have made the mistakes that SOS made last year, we'd have run him out on a rail.

Really? What mistakes? The 3 11 win seasons in a row? The 5 wins in a row over Clemptech? Please tell us how you can make these amazingly stupid comparisons?

To the sad and downtrodden fans I offer this. Attitude and pride were the most obvious things missing on defense last year. Why not go back and look at the films look at the blown assignments, the poor tackling, the lack of aggressiveness, and most of all the poor defensive coaching on third down. We had an offense capable of winning the SEC last year but for the almost constant hole the defense left us in. 75% of the tackling was made from the side or from behind the ball carrier. A new defensive coach and a new attitude will do wonders for the defense this year. Hustle and aggressive tackling will be a welcomed change and go a long way towards resuming a ten win or more season like the ones we have gotten used to. It isn't how many four - five star people you can collect. We had a couple go high in the NFL draft last season, but they were AWOL during the games more times than not. The only reason the talking heads favor the Tillman plantation boys to win their little conference is because at FSU, Dimbo shot himself in the foot a bit more than Deblow has (so far). Nowhere to go but down for the Tillmanites.

What Spurrier does with his own time is his business. Does your boss tell you what to do with your time before and after work hours? I didn't think so.

What Spurrier does with his own time is his business. Does your boss tell you what to do with your time before and after work hours? I didn't think so.

And what all these whiners don't realize is that 70 year old man they are complaining about probably logs more hours a day toward his job than they do.

And again...they're complaining about recruiting when signing day is 7 months and an entire season away!

And what all these whiners don't realize is that 70 year old man they are complaining about probably logs more hours a day toward his job than they do.

And again...they're complaining about recruiting when signing day is 7 months and an entire season away!
He needs to log more hours than his competition, is all that matters.

To the sad and downtrodden fans I offer this. Attitude and pride were the most obvious things missing on defense last year. Why not go back and look at the films look at the blown assignments, the poor tackling, the lack of aggressiveness, and most of all the poor defensive coaching on third down. We had an offense capable of winning the SEC last year but for the almost constant hole the defense left us in. 75% of the tackling was made from the side or from behind the ball carrier. A new defensive coach and a new attitude will do wonders for the defense this year. Hustle and aggressive tackling will be a welcomed change and go a long way towards resuming a ten win or more season like the ones we have gotten used to. It isn't how many four - five star people you can collect. We had a couple go high in the NFL draft last season, but they were AWOL during the games more times than not. The only reason the talking heads favor the Tillman plantation boys to win their little conference is because at FSU, Dimbo shot himself in the foot a bit more than Deblow has (so far). Nowhere to go but down for the Tillmanites.
We don't have the offense that we did last year. We're breaking in a new QB and the Defense being better than last year is not saying much.

So you don't like it? Too bad. Because yes, that is what fans of an SEC team does. They complain when they're not good and they will talk smack when they are. That is the way it is. That is the way it should be. And that is the way it always will be. So complaining about THAT is not going change that.

You can't really use SoCal since they have been on probation for a while, depth has killed SoCal. I believe this is the 2nd year where they can have a full class, so they will more than likely be a top 10 team this year.
My point is look at how may 5* etc. players S. Cal gets and never is there in the end. Stars by your name and a $1 will get you a cup of coffee.

I remember when Fat Brad won a smaller bowl to get us to 7 wins people thought he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

So you don't like it? Too bad. Because yes, that is what fans of an SEC team does. They complain when they're not good and they will talk smack when they are. That is the way it is. That is the way it should be. And that is the way it always will be. So complaining about THAT is not going change that.

If you want to let it get your blood pressure up and keep you in a pissy mood all day every day then so be it. I'm just not going to let the decisions of 17 and 18 year olds ruin my day. About 50% of this board is going to need prescription meds soon and it's sad.

I'm an alum and I'm a Gamecock Club member. I have football, basketball, and baseball season tickets. I attend about 10 football games per year. I'm a paying member here and on TOS and I live and work amongst the Taters in Anderson. No one wants to win more than I do but sitting here sweating recruiting 7 months before signing day is ridiculous to me.

Spurrier has been recruiting the same way his whole career and you're not going to change what a 70 year old man does. He lets his assistants handle most of it and he comes in at the end sometimes to close the deal. Since he's been here our classes have had between about 8-12 four stars every year and we always finish up in the Rivals rankings between about 14 and 22. His staff has also done a very good job at identifying lower rated 3 stars and 2 stars over the years. Everyone from Eric Norwood, Captain Munnerlyn, and Pat DiMarco to Brandon Wilds, Johnathan Walton, and Alan Knott.

And both boards are THE SAME WAY every year. Everyone sweats recruiting right up until signing day and we end up with about 10 four stars and around 15th or 16th in the rankings. We're NEVER going to consistently finish in the top 10 of the rankings. If we finish with 4 four stars and about 35th in the rankings then I'll jump on board with you guys. If you don't like the way it's done then call Coach Tanner and let him know it. Bitching about it here non-stop isn't doing anyone any good and all it does is clog up the board with the same threads over and over and over.

Nope it won't change it, but he's getting paid 4 mil a year to be more involved then he is, like it or not. Telling you now, another 6-6 season or worse is coming our way this year.

Tripp, I'm not bitching about the decisions of 17 and 18 year olds. I'm bitching about the decisions of a 70 year old that we're over $4MM/year.

A big thing last year was Ward being in over his head but the biggest deal was conditioning. Games are won or lost in the 4th quarter and our guys flat ran out of gas at times. Conditioning / coaching changes on defense will make a difference this time I really believe it. I'm trying to wipe 2014 from my memory.

Not if we are starting the same pass rushers that played last year. Experience can only take u so far. Got to have talent

We don't have the offense that we did last year. We're breaking in a new QB and the Defense being better than last year is not saying much.

"We don't have the offense that we did last year."

Sigh...and we haven't seen them play a single snap, yet you somehow know they won't be as good. I hope you never played sports. Or I guess I should say I'm glad you were never on a team I played on...though some of the teams I played on had players with your attitude. And trust me, it can spread like cancer.

That said, I sure none of the football players we have this year has your attitude either.

I think Spurrier should show up at the school of every kid he wants to have on campus. The assistants make it to those schools several times and the impact of Spurrier showing up would pay dividends down the road. He is the biggest celebrity in college football. Take advantage of that and woo these kids. That would show interest.....

I don't disagree with this at all.

"We don't have the offense that we did last year."

Sigh...and we haven't seen them play a single snap, yet you somehow know they won't be as good. I hope you never played sports. Or I guess I should say I'm glad you were never on a team I played on...though some of the teams I played on had players with your attitude. And trust me, it can spread like cancer.

That said, I sure none of the football players we have this year has your attitude either.
This kind of comment is what I mean.

I will post this question again because it was completely ignored in a similar thread. Can anyone name a team in your recent memory that won a national title that didn't finish with a top 10 recruiting class 3-4 years in a row? Yes. Stars matter. More often than not.
Virginia Tech didn't win it but they played in it and I don't think they had any top-10 classes at the time.

If you want to let it get your blood pressure up and keep you in a pissy mood all day every day then so be it. I'm just not going to let the decisions of 17 and 18 year olds ruin my day. About 50% of this board is going to need prescription meds soon and it's sad.

I'm an alum and I'm a Gamecock Club member. I have football, basketball, and baseball season tickets. I attend about 10 football games per year. I'm a paying member here and on TOS and I live and work amongst the Taters in Anderson. No one wants to win more than I do but sitting here sweating recruiting 7 months before signing day is ridiculous to me.

Spurrier has been recruiting the same way his whole career and you're not going to change what a 70 year old man does. He lets his assistants handle most of it and he comes in at the end sometimes to close the deal. Since he's been here our classes have had between about 8-12 four stars every year and we always finish up in the Rivals rankings between about 14 and 22. His staff has also done a very good job at identifying lower rated 3 stars and 2 stars over the years. Everyone from Eric Norwood, Captain Munnerlyn, and Pat DiMarco to Brandon Wilds, Johnathan Walton, and Alan Knott.

And both boards are THE SAME WAY every year. Everyone sweats recruiting right up until signing day and we end up with about 10 four stars and around 15th or 16th in the rankings. We're NEVER going to consistently finish in the top 10 of the rankings. If we finish with 4 four stars and about 35th in the rankings then I'll jump on board with you guys. If you don't like the way it's done then call Coach Tanner and let him know it. Bitching about it here non-stop isn't doing anyone any good and all it does is clog up the board with the same threads over and over and over.
LOL. My day isn't ruined because of 17 year olds and 18 years. I am unhappy about the garbage recruiting the last few years and it seems to be continuing, but it doesn't RUIN anything. Don't let your day be ruined by some people on the message boards being brutally honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT