ADVERTISEMENT

What if this is as good as it gets?

sgacock

Jun 4, 2000
Are You still gonna' be a Gamecock?

This has been the best five years in our history, and it ain't even close. Last year's disappointment of 7-6 saw only our 8th bowl victory in our 120+ years of playing football. A repeat of last year's disappointment may well be in store for us. Let's assume we manage to go 7-6 or decline to worse.

I believe that South Carolina has the smallest population of any East Coast state that is home to a P-5 conference team. We also have a poor high school educational system which results in many potential recruits lacking the necessary academic background to play college football. Unlike Alabama, in a small state, we don't have a long history of excellence at football that makes us appealing to kids and their high school coaches in other states. Unlike Auburn, in that same small state, and others we don't have a history of donors paying out-of-state recruits (and I for one don't want us to engage in such practices.) Based on history and demographics, we have little reasonable expectation of improving our lot. If not,

Once upon a time, we were considered the most loyal fanbase in college football. We built and filled a big house during our mediocre years, and even managed to be in the top 20 of cfb attendance during our two years of 1-21. That's loyalty! Spurrier taught us to demand more than good efforts. We quit applauding good efforts and demanded wins. I still appreciate a good effort when we are outgunned (last Saturday didn't qualify as a good effort, but I applauded the second half defensive effort). I heard booing in the stands in the first half. Worse, I saw empty seats in Williams Brice for a 1-0!

Somebody ain't a Gamecock!

We had a good four year run beginning in 2010 with Marcus leading us to nine wins. We gained a bunch of T-shirt fans. I don't think we have a shot at nine wins this year, but we'll see. The T-shirt fans appear to be already abandoning ship.

Are You still gonna' be a Gamecock, or were you just a T-shirt fan along for the fun ride?

Let's assume Spurrier hangs it up at the end of this season. Are we gonna get a coach with better credentials? I don't see how. There are very few out there. What up-and-comer wants to take a chance on our program. Yeah, we've got money. So do a lot of others. Let's assume we hire another coach who takes us to a number of 8 or even 9 win seasons, but never matches the glory of the last 3 seasons. Never an SEC championship or a sniff of the cfb playoffs.

I am hoping to see improvement out of this team. I'm hoping for more improvement next year and a return to the glory of double digit wins. Alas I don't expect it.

GO Gamecocks whatever may come!

Reactions: sbilton4610
I'll be a gamecock. I'll watch some other sport we are good in. I am not going to support mediocrity. I will not waste a moment of my time wondering if this is as good as it gets. When I was younger I watched a lot of sucky Gamecock football and went to all then games and cheered. Now I think I'll leave that experience for the younger generation to suffer through. I'm more interested in the new experiences. I found out about myself that I much prefer when we are good and have no more taste for bad gamecock football. My taste has matured.

South Carolina football does not begin and end with Spurrier. He gave us a bump before, but now he is holding us back. It's time for the next stage of the evolution. I see a lot of closed-mindedness about another coach being able or not being able to get it done here. You never know. I've believed in Spurrier and will believe in the next guy, for a time at least. I've said before and I have said it again, the fans need to start DEMANDING success. That is the only way to get it. We won't get it by simply eating up what ever thrown down in front us. We need a competent coach that has plenty of energy, and drive, and is going to be held accountable for getting results and not make any excuses. That is a coach that can win anywhere

Last edited:
I'll be a Gamecock, even as I always have been. But if this is as good as it gets, something will have to give. That's not me saying it; it's simply an inevitability.

I have pulled for them since I was born. So I will not stop now.

But I have to take a hard look at how much money I spend each year on all my various season tickets.

It is fair to say I have received a shitty return on my investment.Especially with the home record being so pungent the past few years.

Meh, it's football. I used to stew until Thursday or Friday about games like Saturday's. Aside from a couple of sighs now and again, I was over it by the time I made it back home (from the restaurant I was watching from, not from the game).
HBC says it best, it is what it is. We are 1 of 2 P5s in a small state, in a tough conference. Hard to expect more than an Atlanta appearance once or twice a decade. I'll take it.

Meh, it's football. I used to stew until Thursday or Friday about games like Saturday's. Aside from a couple of sighs now and again, I was over it by the time I made it back home (from the restaurant I was watching from, not from the game).
HBC says it best, it is what it is. We are 1 of 2 P5s in a small state, in a tough conference. Hard to expect more than an Atlanta appearance once or twice a decade. I'll take it.

Old Carolina attitude at it again. Excuses, excuses.

TOS says Hoke's wife lives in Mt. Pleasant because she wouldn't live in Cola. That's about a clear of a sign as you can get.

TOS says Hoke's wife lives in Mt. Pleasant because she wouldn't live in Cola. That's about a clear of a sign as you can get.
So you're surprised his wife chose Charleston over Columbia when her husband is going to be gone most of the day most of the week and she's only 1 1/2 hours away when he actually does get a break? Is that because she hates Columbia or just loves Charleston? Completely ridiculous exaggeration to say she wouldn't live here. As if it weren't for Charleston he wouldn't have even taken the job.

I swear we have more drama queens than any other fan base.

Talk about a don't give a crap attitude, And you have the nerve to call others a tater, or ask if they are accused of it? True, it is only football but some fans give a rip. This type of attitude is truly one USC can do without. If Saturday didn't upset you, why even call yourself a Gamecock? You might as well come out and say "I could care less if we are succesful." At least be for or against them...pick a side.

I have pulled for them since I was born. So I will not stop now.

But I have to take a hard look at how much money I spend each year on all my various season tickets.

It is fair to say I have received a shitty return on my investment.Especially with the home record being so pungent the past few years.
Fair to say the home record was good for several years until last year.

Talk about a don't give a crap attitude, And you have the nerve to call others a tater, or ask if they are accused of it? True, it is only football but some fans give a rip. This type of attitude is truly one USC can do without. If Saturday didn't upset you, why even call yourself a Gamecock? You might as well come out and say "I could care less if we are succesful." At least be for or against them...pick a side.
Ok, I am an alumnus and a donor. And my week is not ruined by a poor football performance. How's that?
It's my opinion, and it's been beaten to death on here, that Spurrier seems to have lost his fire. It is what it is.....hahahahahaaaaa.
Get a grip man.

Anyone who weathered 1-21 will still be a gamecock. simple as that. If those 2 years didn't run us off, any fiasco that comes up this year won't run us off.
Amen 1SGgamecock. A true fan sticks with his team no matter what. We will be fine in the long run. If this were to be the peak for the gamecocks then the 5 year tater-smacking run was of the finest and funnest times around. I have a feeling we haven't seen the peak yet. Better times ahead.

If your weekend ISN'T ruined by a loss, especially to garbage team like Kentucky, than you aren't the kind of fan that we need. You simply don't care nearly enough. If you are trying to persuade others to be of your same mindset by pointing to past Gamecock football ineptitude or other such irrelevant nonense, we need you to stop doing that, or to just stop calling yourself a Gamecock fan. Unfortunately, these barely-caring fans are still the majority even though the gap has closed some it seems. When they become the minority like at the other major programs, we will have finally turned an important psychological corner.

Life is too short to let a game ruin your entire weekend guys. Does it kill the mood when we drop a game? Of course it does, but I don't let it ruin my weekend and following week. Not sure how me not pulling out razor blades and The Cure playlist has any affect on our team's performance.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Until we win a national championship you can never use the "This is as good as it gets" statement. It can be done but not in the current setup. I would never sell a program short but you have to put your program in a position first and foremost !

If your weekend ISN'T ruined by a loss, especially to garbage team like Kentucky, than you aren't the kind of fan that we need. You simply don't care nearly enough. If you are trying to persuade others to be of your same mindset by pointing to past Gamecock football ineptitude or other such irrelevant nonense, we need you to stop doing that, or to just stop calling yourself a Gamecock fan. Unfortunately, these barely-caring fans are still the majority even though the gap has closed some it seems. When they become the minority like at the other major programs, we will have finally turned an important psychological corner.
Or maybe fans have their priorities straight. I for one am not going to let it ruin my weekend especially when I have friends and family in town. I will enjoy my weekend rather than sit around and pout.

Until we win a national championship you can never use the "This is as good as it gets" statement. It can be done but not in the current setup. I would never sell a program short but you have to put your program in a position first and foremost !

"Until we win a championship?" What makes you think we will ever win a championship? What factors lead you to have any half-way realistic expectation that we will ever win a championship other than you want one real bad?

I have no expectation of winning one. Will still cling to a vague hope, but I do face the ration-based reality that this could very well be as good as it gets.

Or maybe fans have their priorities straight. I for one am not going to let it ruin my weekend especially when I have friends and family in town. I will enjoy my weekend rather than sit around and pout.
And you're a weak fan. Your priorities are what they, they aren't good enough for what this program needs if "enjoying your weekend" is more important to you than seeing this team be successful. Go fishing or something and stop bothering the rest us who actually care. Go be some casual fan for some other team because your priorities are not straight. If you don't have what it takes to be miserable and angry when we loss and generally have a bad team, than you don't have what it takes to be a real fan of real team. Your Gamecocks will always be Brad Scott Gamecocks, 21 losses in a row Gamecocks, 63-17 Gamecocks.

And you're a weak fan. Your priorities are what they, they aren't good enough for what this program needs if "enjoying your weekend" is more important to you than seeing this team be successful. Go fishing or something and stop bothering the rest us who actually care. Go be some casual fan for some other team because your priorities are not straight. If you don't have what it takes to be miserable and angry when we loss and generally have a bad team, than you don't have what it takes to be a real fan of real team. Your Gamecocks will always be Brad Scott Gamecocks, 21 losses in a row Gamecocks, 63-17 Gamecocks.

Yeah. His attitude will prevent the team from blocking and tackling.

You demand more. Your demands have not been met. It is very likely that your demands will never be met. Will you quit being a fan if they are not met in 2 . . . 5 . . . 10 . . . 15 . . . 20 years?

"Until we win a championship?" What makes you think we will ever win a championship? What factors lead you to have any half-way realistic expectation that we will ever win a championship other than you want one real bad?

I have no expectation of winning one. Will still cling to a vague hope, but I do face the ration-based reality that this could very well be as good as it gets.
Your "can't do" attitude disgusts me. There are only 14 teams in the SEC. It's not that impossible. Of course it is going to be rare to actually win the Championship, but you still HAVE to pushing for it and demanding a team that has at least reasonable shot at it every year if you are going to get it done. Remotely hoping and just saying "oh well, I guess this isn't our year." If they aren't going for a championship there is not point in caring other to be there to pat the players on the back for getting their participation trophies and showing up. We have too many fans entrench in this old routine. Just dressing up and showing up for kicks and giggles.

Dude if I had told you in Brad Scott's last year to be patient....one day Steve Spurrier will coach here and we will have 3, 11 win season's in a row you would have responded the same way. That's why I dismiss people like you. You don't know what may happen in the future.

Yeah. His attitude will prevent the team from blocking and tackling.

You demand more. Your demands have not been met. It is very likely that your demands will never be met. Will you quit being a fan if they are not met in 2 . . . 5 . . . 10 . . . 15 . . . 20 years?
I'll be a fan on on strike. I may not get my demands met but they aren't going to get my money, because I freaking care about winning unlike these horrible casual fans that will open their pocket books just so they can have "good time" watching the team play like donkey butt. I'll be back when I judge the team to be back on track, until then see me at the women's basketball games, and hopefully baseball, and men's basketball.

Your "can't do" attitude disgusts me. There are only 14 teams in the SEC. It's not that impossible. Of course it is going to be rare to actually win the Championship, but you still HAVE to pushing for it and demanding a team that has at least reasonable shot at it every year if you are going to get it done. Remotely hoping and just saying "oh well, I guess this isn't our year." If they aren't going for a championship there is not point in caring other to be there to pat the players on the back for getting their participation trophies and showing up. We have too many fans entrench in this old routine. Just dressing up and showing up for kicks and giggles.

There are 14 teams in the SEC. Only six of them have championships since the end of segregation. LSU, Florida and Georgia have recruiting bases that dwarf the rest of us. Alabama Tennessee and Tennessee have a championship history and resources that dwarf ours. Auburn "takes shortcuts."

A&M has recruiting base and resources that give them a more realistic chance than us. Ole Miss, Ms State, and Mizzou have just as much chance as us.

I will support my team just as much as you - probably more because I will never boo the players. I will give just as much. I will do everything that you do.

Do you really think whining and bitching and demanding the moon helps the programs?

Dude if I had told you in Brad Scott's last year to be patient....one day Steve Spurrier will coach here and we will have 3, 11 win season's in a row you would have responded the same way. That's why I dismiss people like you. You don't know what may happen in the future.

I had season tickets in Brad Scott' final season. I demanded his firing when he lost control of the team and they quit trying on the field - but I never booed them. I bought season tickets and contributed to the school the next two years as well - even though I did not expect to win championships.

You may dismiss me, but I will be a Gamecock until I die even if we never win a championship.

I'll be a fan on on strike. I may not get my demands met but they aren't going to get my money, because I freaking care about winning unlike these horrible casual fans that will open their pocket books just so they can have "good time" watching the team play like donkey butt. I'll be back when I judge the team to be back on track, until then see me at the women's basketball games, and hopefully baseball, and men's basketball.

BVDAifsIIAAXcZ6.jpg

Why do I sense that someone in the athletic department started this thread? Everybody is going to be pulling for the team to win. But I am always amused when things go sideways and folks start to complain that some want to fall back on the dear old supporting USC line. Bottom line is that folks do support with their wallets. Many spending thousands a year to acquire seats for the games. And last I looked SOS made millions a year, and his assistants are very well paid. Like it, or not, college football is a business. And when you pay dearly for the right to support that team, you have a right to expect a decent return on your investment. When they start letting everyone in for free, then maybe just cheering for ole USC will be enough.

This has been the best five years in our history, and it ain't even close. Last year's disappointment of 7-6 saw only our 8th bowl victory in our 120+ years of playing football. A repeat of last year's disappointment may well be in store for us. Let's assume we manage to go 7-6 or decline to worse.

I believe that South Carolina has the smallest population of any East Coast state that is home to a P-5 conference team. We also have a poor high school educational system which results in many potential recruits lacking the necessary academic background to play college football. Unlike Alabama, in a small state, we don't have a long history of excellence at football that makes us appealing to kids and their high school coaches in other states. Unlike Auburn, in that same small state, and others we don't have a history of donors paying out-of-state recruits (and I for one don't want us to engage in such practices.) Based on history and demographics, we have little reasonable expectation of improving our lot. If not,

Once upon a time, we were considered the most loyal fanbase in college football. We built and filled a big house during our mediocre years, and even managed to be in the top 20 of cfb attendance during our two years of 1-21. That's loyalty! Spurrier taught us to demand more than good efforts. We quit applauding good efforts and demanded wins. I still appreciate a good effort when we are outgunned (last Saturday didn't qualify as a good effort, but I applauded the second half defensive effort). I heard booing in the stands in the first half. Worse, I saw empty seats in Williams Brice for a 1-0!

We had a good four year run beginning in 2010 with Marcus leading us to nine wins. We gained a bunch of T-shirt fans. I don't think we have a shot at nine wins this year, but we'll see. The T-shirt fans appear to be already abandoning ship.

Are You still gonna' be a Gamecock, or were you just a T-shirt fan along for the fun ride?

Let's assume Spurrier hangs it up at the end of this season. Are we gonna get a coach with better credentials? I don't see how. There are very few out there. What up-and-comer wants to take a chance on our program. Yeah, we've got money. So do a lot of others. Let's assume we hire another coach who takes us to a number of 8 or even 9 win seasons, but never matches the glory of the last 3 seasons. Never an SEC championship or a sniff of the cfb playoffs.

I am hoping to see improvement out of this team. I'm hoping for more improvement next year and a return to the glory of double digit wins. Alas I don't expect it.

I had season tickets in Brad Scott' final season. I demanded his firing when he lost control of the team and they quit trying on the field - but I never booed them. I bought season tickets and contributed to the school the next two years as well - even though I did not expect to win championships.

You may dismiss me, but I will be a Gamecock until I die even if we never win a championship.
You demanded that he be fired...wow...impressive. I dismiss your thought process and your "I don't expect" mentality. I do expect to win a national championship one day. I don't know that we will, but I damn sure expect it.

You really might be a tater!!! I hope you do realize that Scott only went 1-10 in '98 and Holtz went 0-11 in '99. Scott was not the coach when we got pulverized by klempsun 63-17. That would have been Holtz. What a genius you are!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You demanded that he be fired...wow...impressive. I dismiss your thought process and your "I don't expect" mentality. I do expect to win a national championship one day. I don't know that we will, but I damn sure expect it.

You will almost certainly die a disappointed man.

BTW, I dismiss your dismissiveness.

There are 14 teams in the SEC. Only six of them have championships since the end of segregation. LSU, Florida and Georgia have recruiting bases that dwarf the rest of us. Alabama Tennessee and Tennessee have a championship history and resources that dwarf ours. Auburn "takes shortcuts."

A&M has recruiting base and resources that give them a more realistic chance than us. Ole Miss, Ms State, and Mizzou have just as much chance as us.

I will support my team just as much as you - probably more because I will never boo the players. I will give just as much. I will do everything that you do.

Do you really think whining and bitching and demanding the moon helps the programs?

Louisiana has a smaller population than South Carolina.

I refuse to believe this is as good as it gets. We have the money, we have the facilities, we have the fans. Yes those 11 win seasons were wonderful...the best ever, but we have bright days ahead. All it takes is a HC with a staff that all believe in the same vision & who are willing to get it done. SC will rise again.

Reactions: superflyby
Imagine how well we could recruit if we landed a Chip Kelly or similar big name coach? This isn't 2005. If our next coach is another big name.....that coach will not have as hard of a time convincing great recruits that you can win big here. Spurrier has already done that. We've brought in two legends......it could be that the next guy is the one who brings that championship. The next hire is huge just because of the potential that is there. We absolutely must pony up big time and bring in a very big name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT