ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Gamecock football loss you ever endured in person

bowiestar2003

Jun 3, 2011
Lexington, SC
I haven't been to many football games, but the worst loss I endured was last season's massacre against Texas A&M. The defense was clueless and we all know how that turned out. The A&M fans were extremely ugly and just downright rude. What do guys think? What is the worst Gamecock football loss that you've had to endure by physically being at the game? My dad told me the worst loss he sat through was to Clemson in '99 was worse, when the Clemson fans threw Zero bars on the field after we went 0-11.

I haven't been to many football games, but the worst loss I endured was last season's massacre against Texas A&M. The defense was clueless and we all know how that turned out. The A&M fans were extremely ugly and just downright rude. What do guys think? What is the worst Gamecock football loss that you've had to endure by physically being at the game? My dad told me the worst loss he sat through was to Clemson in '99 was worse, when the Clemson fans threw Zero bars on the field after we went 0-11.

FSU 59 USC 0 - 1989. some things you just never forget.

Too many to choose from. I'll pick the 82 FSU game. It was only a 30 point loss (a small beat down compared to some of the games I've attended), but I was seated right next to the FSU band. That war chant got old, quickly.

The Nebraska loss back in the 80's because we had it won and found a way to lose, Tennessee last year because it was almost impossible to find a way to lose it, but we did, and of course 63-17 to Climpson, but those guys didn't even care about playing that day.

Been to most home games and quite a few road games since 1980, my freshman year. Way too many to choose from. They each have their own "merits" so to speak.:(

63-17 against Clemson at home... stayed until the end of the game. One of about 5000 left in the stadium. Charlie Whitehurst picked our D apart all night with ease.

1. 63-17 to Taters in 2003
2. at Navy in 1984 (would have played in Orange Bowl for title)
3. vs The Citadel in 1990 (would have made bowl game)
4. at Tennessee in 2013 (would have won SEC East)
5. at Kentucky in 2012 (would have won SEC East)
6. at Georgia Tech in 1988
7. vs. Clemson in 1999
8. Papa John's Bowl in 2009
9. vs. Florida in 2001
10. (tie) at Kentucky 2014
10. (tie) vs. Missouri 2014
10. (tie) vs. Tennessee 2014

I was at all of these except the game at Navy in 1984. My parents went and l listened on the radio at my grandparents house. I was 8 years old.

Marshall 1998...guy I worked with at the time talked major crap for the entire week leading up to it and I didn't think they had a chance in hell in beating us.... INT and last second field goal...still pissed

Marshall 1998...guy I worked with at the time talked major crap for the entire week leading up to it and I didn't think they had a chance in hell in beating us.... INT and last second field goal...still pissed

That's the game that forever turned me against Fat Bradstard.

The Ga Tech loss in 1988 cannot be topped. We were 6-0 in the top 10 and lost 34-0 to a team that had not beaten a Division 1 opponent in two years. It was so so bad. The score didn't even reflect how bad we played. Brutal. At least in most of our bad losses we were beaten by good teams. That Tech team was atrocious. The only win they had after that game was VMI.

Sadly, so many to pick from.

The "push off" at Clemson is probably my worst moment to sit through.

Others worth mentioning: Losing to Auburn in 2011, there was no way we should have lost to that Auburn team; cost us the East that year. The Birmingham bowl game...cold as ****. The 59-0 FSU beat down. The infamous Blackout Florida game. 63-17. The ECU monsoon game. Last year's Tennessee and Missouri games were both frustrating as well. Lot of tough games for Gamecock fans.

I was at the 59-0 FSU game. I hated FSU and Deon ever since

I remember being jacked up for that game. I truly believed we had a chance to win. And then on the opening drive we fumbled and it was downhill from there. Maybe the most complete beatdown I can recall. That FSU team was definitely the best opponent I've ever seen play in WB.

1986 to NC State. If you were there you know what i"m talking about!

georgia tech game 1988....was at georgia tech and south carolina fans outnumbered the georgia tech fans....i think carolina was ranked in the top 10 and georgia tech curb stomped us 34-0

Aside from the burn lounge, that Georgia Tech game some of y'all are referencing was one of Todd Ellis's finest moments.

The worse was a ECU game I don't remember which year (94, Scott year) and they had this 6'6" tight end that was open all day long. He killed us....we lost 56-42. If you mean fan wise FSU and that damn chant.....everyone of them...

The loss to a suck ass Auburn team 16-13 a couple of years back. I was so pissed walking down the ramp I could have slapped the first smart ass Auburn fan I saw mouthing off but I did not want to go to jail. :)

63-17 was horrible. I remember sitting in the student section stunned. Touchdown after Touchdown and having to listen to Tiger Rag over and over. That one hurt.

The 63 to 17 game. If I were carrying a gun I would be serving life for shooting Lou.

LSU Gator Bowl, not sure what year but it was over before I made it to my seat.

Loss 30-13. Todd was Todd that day. They had a full month to prepare for Joe Lee's blitzing. Carved us up like a Christmas turkey. Only bright spot was Harold Green had over 100 yards that day.

The Tennesux games in 2000 and 2013. They drove the length of the field and converted at lest 4 third and longs on the drive. The leaped over the goal line with about 10 seconds left. That drive must of lasted 8 minutes.
Then 2013 because we would've won the East and they throw up a prayer that their guy catches with one hand. Unbelievable, that game still pisses me off.

I was there for a few bad losses that people have mentioned. I'll pick some different ones that had a terrible effect on me. The Michigan game in 1985. Coming off Black Magic in '84, we get demolished by Michigan at home. It was very cold in WB and we were brought back to earth. Similar to the loss to aTm at home in '14.

Reactions: 85alum#
The Tennessee game this past year. Braved the elements only to see our defense crap themselves at the end of the game and the offense go backwards in OT.

1985, home versus Michigan. I was feeling cocky, coming off an incredible 1984 season, even got tickets for my parents. In Five Points the nite before partying, tailgated some, then we settled in and got ready. First down of the game, both teams lined up, and I swear it looked like a high school team versus a professional team. Their offensive line was so much bigger than our defensive line it was unbelievable. They proceeded to physically destroy us 34-3, and I swear it wasn't that close. It could have been 64-3 had Bo wanted it to be.

That was in person. But overall, and I wasn't there so it doesn't count for this, but nothing, nothing, will ever compare to 63-17. Nothing.

The Nebraska loss back in the 80's because we had it won and found a way to lose, Tennessee last year because it was almost impossible to find a way to lose it, but we did, and of course 63-17 to Climpson, but those guys didn't even care about playing that day.

It was a Todd Ellis interception that put the final nail in that coffin.

1986 to NC State. If you were there you know what i"m talking about!

Was that the game where NCS kicked a FG to win with no time in the clock?

Seems like I've been to every beatdown, but the most humiliating ones were:
1) FSU 59-0
2) Clemson 63-17
3) SECC game
4) Clemson 45-0
5) UF Blackout 52-7
6) Auburn 49-7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT