ADVERTISEMENT

So, our football recruiting class is ranked 30th overall and 12th in the SEC.

I believe we have the potential to be a VERY good football program. We have shown that potential in the past. Jim Carlen and Joe Morrison showed the way. Carlen was fired due to a combination of a personal scandal and a crooked egotistical University head. Morrison died. Holtz and Spurrier showed that potential again. But both were at the end of their careers. None of those 4 were Dabo Swinney-type strong recruiters. That was not their strength nor what they were known for. They were good X's and O's coaches who excelled at game strategy and tactics. Those are the kinds of coaches who have had success at Carolina. The recruiter extraordinaires (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp) were all unmitigated failures and fired.

So regardless of NIL and our handicap with that, we can succeed if our Head Coach is of the Carlen/Morrison/Holtz/Spurrier model....a Head Coach who excels at X's and O's. Thus, my question: Does Beamer have the "coaching chops"? His Dad did. But Shane may be more his mother's son. I suppose we will find out over the next 1-2 years.
The problem with this type of viewpoint is that it assumes the college football landscape has remained static during these various eras. Most playcalling now is computer-based. Then you have the NIL and portal. It's primarily on corporate auto-pilot now. I think that's why we've seen a number of big name coaches bow out. They know the game is not the same and their roles have been diminished.

Glad I went to see Journey and Toto...

Even in alot of the wins they seem to be getting away with shooting 30-35% most of the time, that'll have to improve. They can't plan on winning games like that every time out. AU proved what happens if you do that and run into a team can put the ball in the basket at will
The reality is if you don't match +60% shooting from the floor you're going to lose that game, I don't care who you are!
Reactions: turncock
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT