ADVERTISEMENT

#1 and #2 in North Carolina: Crouch & Jackson seem to be trending Gamecocks!!

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
I have not felt this excited with recruiting since before Spurrier made that comment that he may only have 2 years left or so...we had gotten as high as #3 in recruiting and then he made that dumb comment and the recruits scattered.

Seems like we're back..Hopefully we can rack up in North Carolina.

Crouch--RB from Charlotte
Jackson--DE from Clayton
Clark--DL from New Stanley
Harris--S from Havelock

and possibly Walker and Freshwater from Elizabeth City...

We have to own North Carolina...we are the SEC school of the Carolinas!!

UT with Pruitt is making NC a priority...we have to own NC recruiting...

I have not felt this excited with recruiting since before Spurrier made that comment that he may only have 2 years left or so...we had gotten as high as #3 in recruiting and then he made that dumb comment and the recruits scattered.

Seems like we're back..Hopefully we can rack up in North Carolina.

Crouch--RB from Charlotte
Jackson--DE from Clayton
Clark--DL from New Stanley
Harris--S from Havelock

and possibly Walker and Freshwater from Elizabeth City...

We have to own North Carolina...we are the SEC school of the Carolinas!!

UT with Pruitt is making NC a priority...we have to own NC recruiting...

We use to do well in Charlotte and the Charlotte area.

Reactions: cockofdawn
People used to say Tennessee did not have a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits...that's changed.

The state of Tennessee has 14 four star high school recruits according to Rivals. It's time to start recruiting the Nashville area. So many good athletes are coming out of Nashville and Murfreesboro area. I think Memphis would be a stretch for us due to proximity...

People used to say Tennessee did not have a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits...that's changed.

The state of Tennessee has 14 four star high school recruits according to Rivals. It's time to start recruiting the Nashville area. So many good athletes are coming out of Nashville and Murfreesboro area. I think Memphis would be a stretch for us due to proximity...

Let's go get them. But frankly, I think it will be very difficult for us to get many from the state of Tennessee. But we have to try.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Pickens said he would now help recruit....call the top 15 in North Carolina rivals or Twitter, since most high school kids keep up with each other that way, and get'em to Carolina. I know we have a big recruiting day on June 2...I know the Jackson recruit from Clayton, NC will be in Columbia.

I remember another player from Havelock, NC (across the river from me) that we recruited as a defensive back. Don't think he ever played on defense but became a memorable receiver for us.

Like Ellis Johnson said years ago, you start winning and the recruits will come.

Oh please!!! All kinds of garbage was posted... I don't want to rehash the nonsense.. But we had fans ready to lynch Ray Tanner before jumping off the ledge themselves. Hindsight being 20/20, Tanner narrowed to 2 terrific coaches and hired a terrific HBC.. I think Muschamp is exactly what Gamecocks needed

I will admit, I was skeptical of the Muschamp hire due to his poor stint of offenses in Florida. In many ways, these fears STILL have not been allayed.

But the man can recruit and coach a defense, that's for sure.

I will admit, I was skeptical of the Muschamp hire due to his poor stint of offenses in Florida. In many ways, these fears STILL have not been allayed.

But the man can recruit and coach a defense, that's for sure.
Has yet to show a productive offense here, but has had defenses that outperformed themselves. I think Werner was one of the best hires of Champs career.

Since Crouch will be extending his recruiting indefinitely, USC getting Savion Jackson to commit next weekend will be HUGE! Then, we will have the #1 defensive lineman / player commits from both Carolinas! I can already feel the college football universe rocking in response to this major event. Spurs Up!!!

Has yet to show a productive offense here, but has had defenses that outperformed themselves. I think Werner was one of the best hires of Champs career.

In fairness to Coach Boom, you won't play great offense without good Oline play.. He is only a year removed from a bad oline coach... They got better last year despite a rash of injuries... I am expecting a major leap forward in oline play this fall

Uh......no. Dude was a huge cancer.
Spurrier seemed to snatch a knot in his butt quick when he got here. For all those that say Spurrier wasn't much of a disciplinarian he kicked a bunch of Holtz's trouble makers off when he got here. Boyd somehow talked him into giving him a second chance and he turned into a solid leader and pretty decent running back.

Reactions: Jon Snow
In fairness to Coach Boom, you won't play great offense without good Oline play.. He is only a year removed from a bad oline coach... They got better last year despite a rash of injuries... I am expecting a major leap forward in oline play this fall
I thought they made quite the showing against Michigan. That was a legit defense worthy of their ranking with 2 first rounders on the d-line and they did pretty good against them. To me that was their most impressive game.

Since Crouch will be extending his recruiting indefinitely, USC getting Savion Jackson to commit next weekend will be HUGE! Then, we will have the #1 defensive lineman / player commits from both Carolinas! I can already feel the college football universe rocking in response to this major event. Spurs Up!!!
Would love to see it.. But I doubt Savion will pull the trigger this soon... I suspect this will be a tug of war with NCSt for quite a while... The proximity to home has to be overcome to shut the Wusspack out.. Nonetheless i hope you are right.. Savion Jackson is a primetime pass rusher... He belongs in the SEC

Agreed but he also hired that Oline coach and kept around a failed OC from another school for another two years here.

Agreed but he also hired that Oline coach and kept around a failed OC from another school for another two years here.
We all know that SE was retained to bridge the gap and retain a shred of continuity from one staff to the next. I don't fault CWM for that - served its purpose. Now, the CR hire..... that one is still a bit of a head scratcher. I had high hopes for him considering a ringing endorsement from Connor freakin Shaw, but it didn't work out.
I think Boom is onto something now. And NOW, the challenge is keeping this staff together.

Reactions: rogue cock
We all know that SE was retained to bridge the gap and retain a shred of continuity from one staff to the next. I don't fault CWM for that - served its purpose. Now, the CR hire..... that one is still a bit of a head scratcher. I had high hopes for him considering a ringing endorsement from Connor freakin Shaw, but it didn't work out.
I think Boom is onto something now. And NOW, the challenge is keeping this staff together.
McClendon is still a head scratcher to me which I hope works out, but after 4 or 5 failed OC you go out and spend the money to hire a ringer of an OC. He's once again taking a leap of faith on someone who has no experience at the position. I would be more worried if Werner wasn't there. It seemed like he was the voice of the offense through the Spring, so we shall see who is really in charge.

Agreed, McClendon is a gamble. I see his promotion as a bit of a retention move as well. With Werner onboard now, I feel better about that. BMAC may turn out to be an outstanding OC - I hope so. No matter how it works out, or who's really in charge, I just want to see Ws!

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
McClendon is still a head scratcher to me which I hope works out, but after 4 or 5 failed OC you go out and spend the money to hire a ringer of an OC. He's once again taking a leap of faith on someone who has no experience at the position. I would be more worried if Werner wasn't there. It seemed like he was the voice of the offense through the Spring, so we shall see who is really in charge.

that's a bit of a superficial assessment... When hiring coaches one must also consider optimizing the recruiting program... BMac is one of the best recruiters in the business as well as a bright young coach... If Boom did not promote him, UT, Jawja and Fla had huge pay raises on the table... Muschamp worked out a terrific scenario to keep McClendon and bring in Warner!! I agree there is a risk... But obviously he has great faith in McClendon...

that's a bit of a superficial assessment... When hiring coaches one must also consider optimizing the recruiting program... BMac is one of the best recruiters in the business as well as a bright young coach... If Boom did not promote him, UT, Jawja and Fla had huge pay raises on the table... Muschamp worked out a terrific scenario to keep McClendon and bring in Warner!! I agree there is a risk... But obviously he has great faith in McClendon...
And I don't have faith in Champs ability to make a good OC hire, as seen by history. I agree its great to keep a coach but we could have Lattimore and Alshon in a terrible offense and wouldn't go anywhere. I think Werner is running a lot of the show or McClendon is getting a lot of direction. But like I said recruiters are awesome, but I think winning and seeing a succesful and exciting offense is a very strong recruiting tool.

BMAC was the right choice the way he recruits tells me can relate to his players and they will play their butts off for him. Don't underestimate him remember some of y'all thought Muschamp was a mistake.

Reactions: debbman and 92Pony
Would love to see it.. But I doubt Savion will pull the trigger this soon... I suspect this will be a tug of war with NCSt for quite a while... The proximity to home has to be overcome to shut the Wusspack out.. Nonetheless i hope you are right.. Savion Jackson is a primetime pass rusher... He belongs in the SEC
If he were in Metro Charlotte or Western NC it would be easier, I agree. That is where our competition will be in NC is the TriAngle. Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington should be ours for the taking. Seems like VA Tech is know doing well in Greensboro, Winston, and even towards the TriAngle.

Pruitt said on sports talk radio that he wanted to focus on North Carolina like Fulmer did...for some reason, UT did not make North Carolina a priority after Fulmer was let go...Course Clemson will always do well in NC too...

It's getting crowded in NC but as long as the Tarholes get squeezed out, I'm a happy camper.

I am ready for the team to report. While we need some step up guys on the O-line, BMac walks in with a lot of Depth at WR, versatility at RB (not ready to call any of them Elite but AJ has earned his warrior status), mixture of size and speed at TE (Can crosby return to the down field threat he was. It's time for Bentley to become and play like the upperclassman who has 2 seasons on his resume.

Reactions: rogue cock
Uh......no. Dude was a huge cancer.
I don't know about that, but I do know he laid one of the biggest hits in USC history (maybe next to Clowney). There is a certain former safety from Virginia who has an impression of Corey's helmet tatooed on his chest forever. I guarantee you he will never forget Corey Boyd, and neither will I.

totally agree! i think werner is here to get bmac started on the right foot and to get him more prepared to handle this job...i think werner was an awesome hire and we needed to keep bmac.....win, win in my book

Also need a couple more OL guys as well EVERY year (currently we have 2)

Reactions: lawcalcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT