ADVERTISEMENT

1981 SMU vs 1981 Clemson

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
I was watching the 30 for 30 Pony excess about SMU football program and they were talking about how good that team was especially in the early 80s for about a three-year period where they were supposedly the best team in the country hands down. They were however on probation in 1981. It got me thinking, if they had not been on probation that year and they had played Clemson for the national title how do y'all think that game would have gone? sounds to me like they would have handled the taters but I wasn't alive back then so I can't really say. What say the people on here who followed football back in that day, y'all see SMU wiping the field with some orange or not.

Nebraska that year was the overwhelming #1. If clemson played them ten times that year they might win one. They did and the rest is history, horseshoe lodged so far in there.

Nebraska that year was the overwhelming #1. If clemson played them ten times that year they might win one. They did and the rest is history, horseshoe lodged so far in there.
You clearly were not alive that year. Georgia was the defending National Champion and ranked 2nd in final regular season poll with their only loss to Clemson. Georgia lost their bowl game. Clemson beat number 4 Nebraska who finished the season 9-3

Clemson ended the regular season ranked #1, followed by UGA (who Clemson had beaten), then Bama and then Nebraska.

UGA and Bama lost their bowl game and about midway through the 3rd quarter, everyone knew the winner of the Clemson/Nebraska game was going to be the national champs.

Nebraska lost 2 of the first 3 games...and then won the next 8

You clearly were not alive that year. Georgia was the defending National Champion and ranked 2nd in final regular season poll with their only loss to Clemson. Georgia lost their bowl game. Clemson beat number 4 Nebraska who finished the season 9-3

Ummm I was alive. I just feel like they were the best based on talent. Look at their roster. Again Clemson was lucky to win.

Didn't Nebraska also have a couple of all Americans suspended or injured for that game?

I don't know what would have happened if Clemson had played SMU during that time period. But on thing is a certainty. There would have been enough payoffs going on outside each locker room to fund a small country.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I was watching the 30 for 30 Pony excess about SMU football program and they were talking about how good that team was especially in the early 80s for about a three-year period where they were supposedly the best team in the country hands down. They were however on probation in 1981. It got me thinking, if they had not been on probation that year and they had played Clemson for the national title how do y'all think that game would have gone? sounds to me like they would have handled the taters but I wasn't alive back then so I can't really say. What say the people on here who followed football back in that day, y'all see SMU wiping the field with some orange or not.

They wouldn't have played Clemson anyway, probation or not.

Pittsburg was unanimous number one and I think a 28 point favorite over Penn State the last week of the season. Marino was the QB for Pitt and Todd Blackledge was QB for Penn State. Pitt goes up 14-0 with 2 td passes by Marino. That was all the points they got . Penn State scored 41 un answered and changed history by allowing the Kitties to move to number one and play for the Championship against a team that had lost it's starting QB and was ranked #4 .No doubt fate is a fickle beast. Ask any Carolina fan that remembers the NAVY game.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I don't know what would have happened if Clemson had played SMU during that time period. But on thing is a certainty. There would have been enough payoffs going on outside each locker room to fund a small country.

Read this, people!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT