ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Williams-Brice Stadium Project...Is It Worth It?

USCrown

Jul 31, 2005
What do you guys think about the proposed changes that will take place prior to the 2020 season? How many of you will be affected by the changes in pricing which are outlined in the link below?

Should be interesting. I've sat in just about every part of the stadium...club, suites, east, west, north end zone as a student, etc... Far and away I prefer the zone. Yes it's endzone seats, however a pretty good gameday experience being able to eat/drink inside, catch a few other games, then still get the full experience of being in the stands.

You’ve surely heard about the proposed $22.5 million Williams-Brice Stadium project with a target for completion prior to the 2020 season. This largest ever investment in the stadium will improve the gameday experience of more than 20,000 fans, including providing climate-controlled areas for over 8,000 patrons.

The Board of Trustees gave this project Phase 2 approval on April 29. While we have a few more steps in the state process before final approval, with seat selection for the 2019 season starting on May 20, we wanted to provide as much information as possible about the proposed changes because it may influence your choices for 2019.

A specific breakdown of each affected area – West Stands 100 level, South Lower Sections 11-13, East Stands 400 level – is below, but in broad terms, here’s what you need to know:

• If your 2018 season tickets were in one of the impacted areas and you want to stay in those seats through 2020, there is no additional payment to the Stadium Enhancement Fund (SEF) required AND your per seat cost will increase gradually so that you don’t pay full price for your seat until 2022.
  • If after the 2019 season, your season tickets are in one of the impacted areas and you plan to relocate your seat for the 2020 season, you will take part in a special early seat selection process ahead of general seat selections for 2020. This process will provide an exclusive opportunity for impacted seat holders to relocate their season tickets into an area of comparable price to where they sat previously. To accommodate this early selection process, the 2020 football renewal deadline will be moved to April 3, 2020.
  • If you’re contemplating a move into one of the areas scheduled for improvement, consider making that move for the 2019 season instead of waiting for 2020. Those who purchase season tickets in those areas in 2019 will pay a reduced SEF fee compared to those who make the move in 2020. The SEF fee varies based on seating area, but the discounts for moving early range from $100 to $750 across the three areas.
Now that you know how 2020 impacts 2019, let’s get to what each area’s changes will provide.

WEST STANDS – 100 CLUB LEVEL
  • More than 9,000 square feet of air-conditioned club space
  • New concession stands and restrooms exclusive to the club
  • Upgraded point of sale concession selections
The proposed club space behind Sections 101-105 will provide all ticket holders on the 100 level a comfortable place to catch up on the scores of the day and offer spectacular west-facing views of Gamecock Park and the new Long Family Football Operations Center. With these changes, access to the 100-level concourse will become restricted, similar to the current 200-level executive club seats.

SOUTH LOWER — SECTIONS 11-13
  • Access to air-conditioned club space in the Crews Building
Fans sitting in Sections 11-13, located in the south end of the stadium’s lower bowl, will have exclusive access to a totally renovated concourse as well as indoor club spaces within the footprint of the first and second floors of the Crews Building. Access to this renovated concourse, which will feature new restroom spaces and concession stands, will be restricted to only those seated in these three sections. Those fans will be able to move freely between the concourse, air-conditioned areas within the Crews Building and the south seating bowl, while enjoying the most affordable club experience in the Southeastern Conference.

• More than 21,000 square feet of air-conditioned club space
  • New seats
The proposed renovation of this level adds a massive club space of more than 21,000 square feet of enclosed space stretching from ramp to ramp located on the existing club level, one flight below the east upper concourse. East 400 Club level fans will have exclusive access to new concession and restroom amenities via two new portals connecting them directly from their seats to this enclosed club pace. This newly enclosed concourse will serve the nearly 3,000 fans on the 400 level, greatly relieving the strain on the existing upper east concourse. This part of the project will also add new seats for all east club ticket holders, loge box seating along the top and bottom of the club areas and improved ADA seating opportunities on the 400 level.

STILL TO COME
As you probably know, the 2020 season is slated to bring online a number of additional exciting improvements to Williams-Brice Stadium for our Gamecock fans to enjoy.

It will add a series of loge boxes to both the east side club and the southwest corner of the stadium. The lease fee and payment structure of these seats will be finalized in the fall of 2019 once the project has gained full Phase 2 approval.

The southwest corner will also provide an exciting new twist thanks to the 2001 Club, which will provide fans the opportunity to watch our Gamecocks take the field from a whole new prospective. The sale of passes to the 2001 Club is anticipated, as is the sale of a limited number of passes to access the new 100 and 400 level clubs.

Additional changes for 2020 include adding new restrooms and a concession stand to the southeast corner of the stadium for fans sitting in Sections 14-16, as well as the elimination of the East and West Scholarship Lounges. A new mural of pictures submitted by Gamecock fans is also scheduled to be added to the stadium’s east side as part of the Carolina Forever campaign.

_tiny_FB_2020_1.jpg
_tiny_FB_2020_3.jpg
_tiny_FB_2020_6.jpg
_tiny_FB_2020_7.jpg
_tiny_FB_2020_9.jpg

https://gamecocksonline.com/feature/wbs-2020-project

Last edited:
Unless I missed something it looks like most of it is directed towards the high end donor and fan and not the average fan in the seats. But that is the same for all schools. These big time donors aren't so much fans of the school as they are fans of the sport. I'd like to see improvements for the average fan. Replace the benches with seats, and improve the bathrooms and concessions. Probably not going to happen.

I agree with what the school has released and OWC, game day experience needs to improve for everybody.

I quit buying my season tickets this year. Been buying season tickets since 2008.

This might actually get me to start buying season tickets again as long as I don't have to be around any 'wine and cheese' fans that don't mind me yelling when our defense is on the field.

the best seats I ever sat in were 50 yardline west upper....Incredible visibility of the entire field and game. I like sitting west lower but the view is better from upper deck. Best gameday experience in in the zone. I have a feeling that the 100 level may compete with it.
I had season tickets there for more than a decade and those seats were far superior to the ones I have used that the higher-level donors were getting in the West lower - far superior.

But what about the North End Zone? There are real opportunities to enhance the stadium at that end, and I think they are going to blow them.

I had season tickets there for more than a decade and those seats were far superior to the ones I have used that the higher-level donors were getting in the West lower - far superior.

But what about the North End Zone? There are real opportunities to enhance the stadium at that end, and I think they are going to blow them.

I get the feeling that they will do that last, possibly because of the Crews donation and undoing anything that was done by that donation. Just a hunch.

My question is where are they going to put those people who opt not to increase their GCC membership level/cost of tickets to have a chance to stay in these levels? They don't have nearly enough comparable seats to accommodate those individuals who don't see the cost being worth it, or can't afford it any longer.

Also, as others have stated, there are numerous other issues around the stadium that need to be addressed (restrooms, concessions) before we start catering to the big money donors who will bolt the moment the product on the field isn't worth it, or the economy tanks.

Unless I missed something it looks like most of it is directed towards the high end donor and fan and not the average fan in the seats. But that is the same for all schools. These big time donors aren't so much fans of the school as they are fans of the sport. I'd like to see improvements for the average fan. Replace the benches with seats, and improve the bathrooms and concessions. Probably not going to happen.

Yeah, based on what's being reported, the largest ever investment in the stadium will cater to about 20k fans. While I get it, given the changing landscape in college football, we better do something to make the experience more enjoyable for the other 60k+ people as well.

About a decade ago, most of us would have been in favor of a huge stadium expansion to keep up with the jones'. Now I would be more in favor of enhancing our current structure/experience even if it includes slightly reducing capacity.

Restrooms, concessions, allowing fans to decide if they want to purchase alcohol or not during games, mist fans, full cushioned chair back seating/cupholders, continued visual enhancements/decorations throughout stadium and surrounding areas, additional/improved lighting, additional flat screens showing scores/games, additional/improved video board, possible north endzone pregame club/rooftop experience/restaurant accessible to avg fans before/after games, nice walkways over george rogers blvd and bluff road to allow unimpeded pedestrian and vehicle traffic flow, improved traffic plan before and after games etc...are a must if we want to compete with the comfort of home...oh and of course winning games :D

Last edited:

"Probably not going to happen'. BINGO!

Just be thankful we've got back supporters.

Yeah, based on what's being reported, the largest ever investment in the stadium will cater to about 20k fans. While I get it, given the changing landscape in college football, we better do something to make the experience more enjoyable for the other $60k+ people as well.

About a decade ago, most of us would have been in favor of a huge stadium expansion to keep up with the jones'. Now I would be more in favor of enhancing our current structure/experience even if it includes slightly reducing capacity. Restrooms, concessions, allowing fans to decide if they want to purchase alcohol or not during games, mist fans, full cushioned chair back seating/cupholders, continued visual enhancements/decorations throughout stadium and surrounding areas, additional/improved lighting, additional flat screens showing scores/games, additional/improved video board, possible north endzone pregame club/rooftop experience/restaurant accessible to avg fans before/after games, nice walkways over george rogers blvd and bluff road to allow unimpeded pedestrian and vehicle traffic flow, improved traffic plan before and after games etc...are a must if we want to compete with the comfort of home...oh and of course winning games :D

Like most things with this athletic department, we were well behind in luxury amenities for the higher level donors. It's a credit to all the folks still playing for those seats, because what's been on offer there has been subpar for a long time-- and doesn't compare well to other venues. Hell, there are still CRT televisions in those sections and the concourses are among the worst in the SEC. This is just catching up.

For the rest of the stadium, most SEC schools treat the masses like cattle. Our concession and restroom situation is bad, but it's that way at most schools. You have to hope the promise of revenue from alcohol sales will spur some action there-- although our AD will need 5 years to study the issue before he acts. But the area around the stadium is indeed still mostly as mess. No restaurant/bar area anywhere near the stadium. Shuttle service back to the vista and other areas is poor. Walkways are dangerous and overcrowded. And, I've missed kickoff more times than I can count trying to cross the Bluff road only to have a state trooper inexplicably halt pedestrian traffic for 10 minutes. Why a pedestrian bridge or two wasn't part of the Gamecock park design will remain a great mystery.

Reactions: Cybercock
Changes will be nice, and probably overdue. Now all improvements mentioned for the average fan have merit, but they are going to take care of the big donors first. That's where the money comes from to keep the wheels greased. For the average guy sitting on the 30 yd line in the upper deck.......they figure if you leave someone will just jump in to take your place.

Yeah, based on what's being reported, the largest ever investment in the stadium will cater to about 20k fans. While I get it, given the changing landscape in college football, we better do something to make the experience more enjoyable for the other $60k+ people as well.

About a decade ago, most of us would have been in favor of a huge stadium expansion to keep up with the jones'. Now I would be more in favor of enhancing our current structure/experience even if it includes slightly reducing capacity. Restrooms, concessions, allowing fans to decide if they want to purchase alcohol or not during games, mist fans, full cushioned chair back seating/cupholders, continued visual enhancements/decorations throughout stadium and surrounding areas, additional/improved lighting, additional flat screens showing scores/games, additional/improved video board, possible north endzone pregame club/rooftop experience/restaurant accessible to avg fans before/after games, nice walkways over george rogers blvd and bluff road to allow unimpeded pedestrian and vehicle traffic flow, improved traffic plan before and after games etc...are a must if we want to compete with the comfort of home...oh and of course winning games :D
I completely agree. It's all about enhancement now - not expansion.

I have a problem with the fact that the majority of the 22.5 million will be spent to enhance the game day experience of ONLY those in sections 100, 400, and 11-13. Don't get me wrong, they have succeeded nicely in dressing up the outside of the stadium. But there are more than 15,000 people who sit in the East upper deck who have been begging for years for major bathroom, concession, and concourse upgrades. I was in school there when the East Upper Deck was added, and have sat there ever since. I guess I should be "proud" to say that I still have access to the same stainless steel pee trough in the men's room? And to top it off, they are going to do away with the Scholarship Lounge? Now that's a brilliant way to pay homage to the donors who have religiously sat there since its construction. I have parents who will be 80 next year. They have been half scholarship donors since the late 70's and have sat in the East Upper since the day it was built. They have always benefited from two main perks - the elevator passes and the scholarship lounge. In the past few years, I have noticed that security very rarely checks for passes to get on the elevator after games (which allows fans of opposing teams to ride down), and now they are taking away their access to the lounge. At their age, they occasionally NEED that lounge in late August and early September! IMO, this is just another high-roller upgrade. Sadly, I'm afraid that it will eventually get to the point where our stadium will be nothing but a Corporate America wine and dine entertainment venue. The University may succeed in keeping butts in the seats and $$$ in their pockets, but they risk losing a LOT of their longstanding, loyal fan base who have supported the team through bad times as well as good ones. My guess is that they just don't care. Show me the Money!

maybe we should add some storage closets and coolers so we can avoid running out of.
Water
soft drinks.
pizza
etc.......

I'll stand on the west ramp and admire the new seats and club stuff, and I actually have gamecock club access....

The stupidest idea I saw in the email they sent out earlier was proposing a 4* restaurant inside the stadium. Sorry but if fancy, overpriced condos won’t sell on that side of town, then no one is going to drive over there to eat at a restaurant when the season isn’t in.

The stupidest idea I saw in the email they sent out earlier was proposing a 4* restaurant inside the stadium. Sorry but if fancy, overpriced condos won’t sell on that side of town, then no one is going to drive over there to eat at a restaurant when the season isn’t in.

Pretty much everything done and discussed shows how much the university is in two minds about what to do with WB. We can all agree at this point that we're ultimately stuck with a raw deal of having an off-campus stadium in a stark industrial area. With that, do they want to just pour everything they can into the stadium itself and the immediate surrounding areas, or simultaneously partner with the city to install a beautification process for the broader surrounding area that couples greener with some kind of entertainment district? What they've done is a little of both. Which, I'm not sure leaves anyone completely happy. Being in the area around the stadium is still sort of depressing. Being in the stadium is still sort of depressing.

Pretty much everything done and discussed shows how much the university is in two minds about what to do with WB. We can all agree at this point that we're ultimately stuck with a raw deal of having an off-campus stadium in a stark industrial area. With that, do they want to just pour everything they can into the stadium itself and the immediate surrounding areas, or simultaneously partner with the city to install a beautification process for the broader surrounding area that couples greener with some kind of entertainment district? What they've done is a little of both. Which, I'm not sure leaves anyone completely happy. Being in the area around the stadium is still sort of depressing. Being in the stadium is still sort of depressing.
There's the Carolina fan spirit we know and love!

Are they trying to follow the lead of 1801 Grille? At least it being next to GV, 650 Lincoln, the CLA, and the Vista, it gets regular foot traffic on a daily basis.

Pretty much everything done and discussed We can all agree at this point that we're ultimately stuck

I dunno. Use your imagination. Slap some paint on the old girl, some curtains, maybe a few throw pillows. One day, we'll look back and realize how lucky we were.
22219838_10155064539373652_5523404252777676730_o-700x558.jpg

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I like this photo. Older fans will notice the "horse track" was still in use or the oval is showing.
Imagine, Big Thursday was played within that Oval each year. Obviously most all of seating is gone in photo, as we were playing in Carolina Stadium.
I remember watching horse races during the Fair when young.

Reactions: Easypeasy
I agree with what the school has released and OWC, game day experience needs to improve for everybody.
If the athletic department is serious about improving the game day experience then get rid of the cramped bleachers and replace them with chairs with cup holders. I’m tired of reaching down for my drink to find peanut shells and popcorn floating in my Crown...errr Royal Crown Cola.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
If the athletic department is serious about improving the game day experience then get rid of the cramped bleachers and replace them with chairs with cup holders. I’m tired of reaching down for my drink to find peanut shells and popcorn floating in my Crown...errr Royal Crown Cola.

UNC just did theirs, and the cost was appx $5-$6 million. Ours would probably be anywhere in the neighborhood of $8-$10 mill. This would drastically enhance the experience, and cost could be spread out. WB would actually look pretty cool with Garnet / Black seats.

8499603.jpg

Maybe some of our decision makers can take a page out of the nfl and get some inspiration from other top stadiums for fan amenities. Not all of them take an astronomical load of cash to implement, just a little foresight and ambition.

Venue: Mercedes Benz Stadium
Team: Atlanta Falcons

A five-story-tall, 360-degree HD video halo board, re-engineered gate entry experience ensuring fans get into the building in five minutes or less, improved wi-fi for better in-stadium connections, and the 61,000 square-foot “Front Porch” outdoor fan plaza featuring live entertainment, food and beverages before, during and after the game.

Venue: US Bank Stadium
Team: Minnesota Vikings

Fans will appreciate new indoor experiences in the 10,000 square-foot “Viking Voyage” interactive space located on the Upper Club level. Free to and accessible to all ages, activities put fans “on the field” with a virtual pass and catch experience, three-cone drill running and even testing how fans measure up against a tackling sled.

Venue: EverBank Field
Team: Jacksonville Jaguars

In true Florida fashion, this stadium offers one of the best outdoor party spaces in the league. Aptly dubbed the “Party Zone”, this area was transformed during a 2014 renovation, which included the removal of thousands of seats in the north end zone to make room for two wading pools, cabanas, food and beverage service and 55,000 square feet of HD video screens, all with fantastic views of the field.

Venue: Levi’s Stadium
Team: San Francisco 49ers

Over 100 new Wi-Fi access points and 60 distributed antennas allows fans faster internet access and better cellular coverage throughout the stadium. And the introduction of the Levi’s Stadium mobile app gives fans the ability order, pay and opt for “in-seat delivery” of food and beverage. Not to mention the app’s wayfinding feature that helps fans navigate to any point of interest in the stadium, including their seat, and shares information about line wait times to plan concession and restroom trips at the best moments.

Venue: Hard Rock Stadium
Team: Miami Dolphins

Upgrades to this stadium has Dolphins fans living large in the new living room style seating experiences that were part of a multi-million facility upgrade in 2016. The “72 Club” takes premium seating to the next level, offering members their own private arrival lane to the stadium, option to valet their car, and VIP parking spaces. And that’s all before you get to your seat. The wider, double-padded seats have 11 inches more legroom with exclusive field level access, and in-seat service. Fans who upgrade to the club’s “living room boxes” on the 35-yard line have their own private screens to watch replays and highlights, not to mention even bigger, more comfortable seats. And those who aren’t willing to pay a premium can still enjoy a cooler seat under the new state-of-the-art open air canopy that shades 92 percent of spectators.

Last edited:
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Changes will be nice, and probably overdue. Now all improvements mentioned for the average fan have merit, but they are going to take care of the big donors first. That's where the money comes from to keep the wheels greased. For the average guy sitting on the 30 yd line in the upper deck.......they figure if you leave someone will just jump in to take your place.
That's a real world view. Some posters always think USC is in a vacuum and it's only happening here. Not true. Happening most everywhere from the pros down to the college level. The big spenders get preference.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Are they trying to follow the lead of 1801 Grille? At least it being next to GV, 650 Lincoln, the CLA, and the Vista, it gets regular foot traffic on a daily basis.
I honestly wasn’t sure what they intended by the limited description they gave in the survey. My understanding was it would be wasted space inside the stadium that could be used for enhanced fan experience over something that isn’t needed.

I have a problem with the fact that the majority of the 22.5 million will be spent to enhance the game day experience of ONLY those in sections 100, 400, and 11-13. Don't get me wrong, they have succeeded nicely in dressing up the outside of the stadium. But there are more than 15,000 people who sit in the East upper deck who have been begging for years for major bathroom, concession, and concourse upgrades. I was in school there when the East Upper Deck was added, and have sat there ever since. I guess I should be "proud" to say that I still have access to the same stainless steel pee trough in the men's room? And to top it off, they are going to do away with the Scholarship Lounge? Now that's a brilliant way to pay homage to the donors who have religiously sat there since its construction. I have parents who will be 80 next year. They have been half scholarship donors since the late 70's and have sat in the East Upper since the day it was built. They have always benefited from two main perks - the elevator passes and the scholarship lounge. In the past few years, I have noticed that security very rarely checks for passes to get on the elevator after games (which allows fans of opposing teams to ride down), and now they are taking away their access to the lounge. At their age, they occasionally NEED that lounge in late August and early September! IMO, this is just another high-roller upgrade. Sadly, I'm afraid that it will eventually get to the point where our stadium will be nothing but a Corporate America wine and dine entertainment venue. The University may succeed in keeping butts in the seats and $$$ in their pockets, but they risk losing a LOT of their longstanding, loyal fan base who have supported the team through bad times as well as good ones. My guess is that they just don't care. Show me the Money!
The restrooms in that part of the stadium are as substandard as anything I ever saw at Tennessee before they did some upgrades. That's saying a lot.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I like this photo. Older fans will notice the "horse track" was still in use or the oval is showing.
Imagine, Big Thursday was played within that Oval each year. Obviously most all of seating is gone in photo, as we were playing in Carolina Stadium.
I remember watching horse races during the Fair when young.
I never knew that. Cool info. The first game I ever attended there was a West upper but no East upper. Had to be late 60’s or early 70’s. I can’t remember now.

The North End Zone has our iconic "can opener" opening on the west side.

Would be cool if we could make the joint look like an enclosed bowl.

Like the old Carolina Stadium before expansion.

Go Cocks!

Of course you do. Keep on keeping on Ward, it’s what you do best.

Reactions: 01fatboy
My biggest wishlist item is elevated walkways from Fairgrounds and Farmers Market to the stadium. Something where pedestrians don't have to cross traffic
You think that would be a no brainer. I agree wholeheartedly. Imagine how the traffic would flow then.

I quit buying my season tickets this year. Been buying season tickets since 2008.

This might actually get me to start buying season tickets again as long as I don't have to be around any 'wine and cheese' fans that don't mind me yelling when our defense is on the field.

We are thinking of dropping our season tickets in 2020 after 40+ years. We will keep baseball and men's basketball tickets , Have not fully decided on. 2020 yet Just bought a 65" Samsung Football games are so easy to watch On TV. No traffic. No heat and noon games plus state fair .

We are thinking of dropping our season tickets in 2020 after 40+ years. We will keep baseball and men's basketball tickets , Have not fully decided on. 2020 yet Just bought a 65" Samsung Football games are so easy to watch On TV. No traffic. No heat and noon games plus state fair .
Living in Charlotte and now with two kids, it's getting harder to plan a day/weekend out of a football game. I'm pretty much going to pick and choose one home game to go all out on. This year it's the Florida game.

Reactions: pepsicock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT